2019 St Louis Cardinals

pops

2 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

I'm not sure he had much of a choice yesterday.  There were just too many games in a very short period.  But it's been a great ride the last month and a half or so.

I understood why it was going to be a bullpen game, but it seemed like he only made pitching changes according to the pregame plan, while ignoring how the guy was pitching.  He easily could have gotten another inning out of Wacha, but the plan was two innings, so nope.  And the plan said 1 inning for Leone, even though he clearly had no idea where it was going -- 5 of his first 10 pitches missed the strike zone by over a foot, and then he gave up a 3-run homer when he did get it in the strike zone.  Not sure why you bring in Miller to face Longoria, but you can't trust him against Pillar?

I understood why it was going to be a bullpen game, but it seemed like he only made pitching changes according to the pregame plan, while ignoring how the guy was pitching.  He easily could have gotten another inning out of Wacha, but the plan was two innings, so nope.  And the plan said 1 inning for Leone, even though he clearly had no idea where it was going -- 5 of his first 10 pitches missed the strike zone by over a foot, and then he gave up a 3-run homer when he did get it in the strike zone.  Not sure why you bring in Miller to face Longoria, but you can't trust him against Pillar?
Can't refute anything you wrote. I guess I just expected a letdown at some point. The pen has been pretty good all year.

Personally, I haven't trusted Andrew Miller in any situation this year.

Sad news... Chris Duncan, son of Cards eternal pitching coach Dave Duncan (former 3-time WS Champ catcher) died today of brain cancer at age 38.  Chris had a role in the 2006 world championship.  So sad, RIP, Chris!
CHRIS-DUNCAN-300x169.jpg

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-cardinals-outfielder-chris-duncan-dead-at-38-after-battling-brain-cancer-004925406.html

Sad news... Chris Duncan, son of Cards eternal pitching coach Dave Duncan (former 3-time WS Champ catcher) died today of brain cancer at age 38.  Chris had a role in the 2006 world championship.  So sad, RIP, Chris!
CHRIS-DUNCAN-300x169.jpg

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-cardinals-outfielder-chris-duncan-dead-at-38-after-battling-brain-cancer-004925406.html
This sucks. He seemed like a down to earth person. Listened to him on the radio before the cancer came back. His day would call in once a week and the way they talked to each other was like it was just them with no audience. I feel for his dad.

I still don't trust this team to do anything, but damn there have been some fun things to watch this year. Waino, flahrety, ozuna, Goldy, edman, Wong. And I think schildt is turning into a solid manager. I loved him being aggressive on the bases in the 9th today. 

Made for a fun summer. 

So the Cards finish up with Brewers/Nats/Cubs/D-Backs/Cubs, all of whom are over 0.500.

The Brewers have won 7 and pulled into a tie with the Cubs but have a remaining schedule of the Cards + some tomato cans (Cards/SD/Pitt/Reds/Rockies).  But, Yelich.

The Cubs have Pitt/Reds/Cards/Pitt/Cards.

Glad we're up 4.

14 hours ago, pops said:

I thought waino was way past his prime, but fuck he's having a year. Who else can blow an 88 mph fastball past someone. Good for him

Fuck yeah.

Taking that series from the Nats against their 3 best pitchers was a nice palate cleanser after losing the Brewer series on a (vomit) Braun grand slam.

I think I said earlier I was hoping for *at least* a 3-game lead against the Cubs going into our series at Wrigley.... if we can just not get swept, I think we'll be in good shape.  A split will feel like a series win.

Flaherty vs. Hendricks tonight should be a freaking doozy.

Edited by oSuJeff97

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

By my calculations, we need 8 wins to eliminate the Brewers and 6 to eliminate the Cubs.  (Division title, not talking wild card.)

As long as you go 4-3 vs the Cubs they will be eliminated from division contention no matter what...

Because you hold the tiebreaker over Milwaukee your magic number of them is actually 7 since you hold a 3 game lead with 10 to go.

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

As long as you go 4-3 vs the Cubs they will be eliminated from division contention no matter what...

That's one specific scenario.  All 3 clubs have 10 games to go.  There is no 6-win scenario for the Cardinals that doesn't hold off the Cubs.

If StL goes 6-1 against Cubs and 0-3 against AZ, and Cubs go 1-6 against StL and 3-0 against Pitt, that puts StL at 91 wins and Cubs at 86 wins.

If StL goes 3-4 against Cubs and 3-0 against AZ, and Cubs go 4-3 against StL and 3-0 against Pitt, that puts StL at 91 wins and Cubs at 89 wins.

This bookends all other scenarios.

However, there is a 5-5 ending for StL that leads to a tie:

If StL goes 2-5 against Cubs and 3-0 against AZ, and Cubs go 5-2 against StL and 3-0 against Pitt, that puts StL at 90 wins and Cubs at 90 wins.

Hence, it takes 6 wins to guarantee the Cubs don't win the division.

And then we have the Brewers . . .

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

And regarding the Brewers... in the 6-win scenario, the Brewers would have to finish 9-1 just to tie us, right?

Correct.  Both teams would have 91 wins.  I don't want to jinx anything, but 9-1 to tie seems like a tough row to hoe.  Still, taking 6 won't be a picnic for the Cardinals, either.