2019 St Louis Cardinals

pops

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm going to develop and market a dessert topping that's half Cub tears, half Ag tears.

I don’t know what they’re crying about.  Heartbreak and frustration is Cubs baseball.  It’s not like that’s ever been some big secret.  They knew what they were getting into.  I say... let ‘em crash.  

16 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I don’t know what they’re crying about.  Heartbreak and frustration is Cubs baseball.  It’s not like that’s ever been some big secret.  They knew what they were getting into.  I say... let ‘em crash.  

Well,  you see, things have changed.  The Cubs won the World Series in 2016.  Therefore, they're in the top tier of MLB teams, having displaced the Cardinals, who haven't even made the playoffs in several years.  

It's sorta like beating 'bama in football.  Once a team does that . . . once . . . they're big time, forever and ever, amen.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Shildt seems to decide ahead of time how he's going to use his bullpen, and by gawd, he's not going to deviate from that.  How the guy on the mound is actually throwing the ball doesn't seem to enter into the decision of whether to keep him pitching or pull him.  

Yep. Totally agree.

After the 8th I would just leave brebbia in, but we both know he's going Carlos because that's always been his plan. 

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

0.667 since the break.  How does that compare to the rest of MLB?  I have to believe StL is one of the best 2nd-half clubs this year.

Best record in the NL since the break.  I believe either the Astros or Yankees or both are better overall since the break.  I tried like hell to find something that shows records since the All Star break but no joy.

I found this nugget interesting from Bernie's article in The Athletic today:

On May 29, the Cardinals had just gone through a stretch of going 8-16 that dropped their record to 26-28.  At that point, they were in 4th place in the NL Central -- 5 games behind the Cubs, 4 games behind the Brewers and 1 game behind the Pirates (!).  Since that day, they have gone 63-39 (.618).

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I remember seeing that the Cardinals were 44-44 at the break but I'll be damned if I'm gonna put in any more effort than I already have to find every record at that point in time.  I'm sure some stat-geek website has it but it's beyond my sleuthing skills.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/?date=2019-07-12

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If I'm reading that right, it looks like

HOU 0.692

OAK 0.672

STL 0.667

NYY 0.652

ATL 0.636

LAD 0.625

That's fairly encouraging.

Did you click the "After this Date" button, or did you really calculate all those numbers on your own?

Capture.jpg

Edited by Beau Vine

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

So Flaherty's just mowing through hitters like they're Little Leaguers, has thrown only 98 pitches, and he gets pulled, why?  Oh yeah, because that was the pregame plan.  

And now we are in the top of the 19th. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It would be really nice if the Brewers would lose a game now and again.

No shit.

I have this weird dichotomy in my fandom... on the one hand, I'm an OSU fan, so I'm quite used to my team being seemingly in control of things and then subsequently shitting the bed.... On the other hand, I'm a Cards fan... they can typically be counted on to NOT shit the bed and, in fact, shit in other teams' bed and break their souls (Dodgers, Cubs, Nats, etc.).

But times like these my OSU-fan-anxiety kicks in and I start worrying about terrible scenarios, like the fucking Brewers just keep winning and the Cubs get to spoil our division title in the last 3 games at Busch.

That won't happen, right? This is just my OSU-fan-anxiety kicking in.... ? :)

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

No shit.

I have this weird dichotomy in my fandom... on the one hand, I'm an OSU fan, so I'm quite used to my team being seemingly in control of things and then subsequently shitting the bed.... On the other hand, I'm a Cards fan... they can typically be counted on to NOT shit the bed and, in fact, shit in other teams' bed and break their souls (Dodgers, Cubs, Nats, etc.).

But times like these my OSU-fan-anxiety kicks in and I start worrying about terrible scenarios, like the fucking Brewers just keep winning and the Cubs get to spoil our division title in the last 3 games at Busch.

That won't happen, right? This is just my OSU-fan-anxiety kicking in.... ? :)

Brewers have won 18 of 20. And I think all of those are without yellich (maybe?). Regardless, I fully expect them to win every game and Chicago sends us to the wildcard on Sunday. 

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but giving up seven runs in one inning says a lot about the manager's bullpen management acumen.

Agreed. I don't know what happened after the first 5 innings. He was making all kinds of moves then just said fuck it. I'll still take him every day over matheney but fuck. 

16 hours ago, pops said:

Sweet. Just need to sweep the Cubs again to win the division. What a 180. 

Only if the Brewers never lose again.... which....is probably a good assumption.

Seriously. The Reds and Pirates can eat a fucking dick.  You pathetic fucks can't even take 1 game from the goddamn Brewers between you?!