pops

2019 St Louis Cardinals

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Posted for Beau Vine:  Cardinals need to get back to small ball

None so small

The fatal flaw to that column is pretty simple.  You can't sac bunt, hit-and-run, get productive outs or do any of that stupid shit that excites the simpletons if you string together nothing but 1-2-3 innings.  

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Plus, as Rhodes Scholar Tommy Edman noted, it's hard to get hits when you haven't had any hits yet.

Hits are serially correlated.  Noted.  

Wow...  I knew the offense was bad, but that was worse than any stretch of baseball I've ever seen in the playoffs.  I don't see them getting better in the offseason either because Mo.  I guess we'll see, but there is no way that they will go after Rendon (at least seriously) and other than that, there's just not going to be anyone of consequence that will help this putrid offense.

26 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Not sure I would go that far. They all got cold at the same time.

This was an issue all season. 

Batting average:  .245, 11th in NL

OPS:  .737, 11th in NL

They scored 764 runs, 10th in the NL.

I'm not sure what the metrics show, but they were not good at all against off speed pitchers.  Light throwing pitchers seemed to be their biggest problem this year.  Anyway, they have some work to do this winter.  Maybe the problem is Jeff Albert.  I don't know.

I hate the end of baseball season. Cards games are the white noise of the best time of the year...at least where I live. Shitty way to end the season but I'll take a division championship and Washington just might be that good at the right time. They are firing on all cylinders. 

Will be interesting to see what waino does. I called for his head louder than anyone last year, but it was great to watch him do waino things again this year. For him and yadi to go out together next year just seems like it would please the baseball gods. 

Schildt drove me crazy at times this year with his structured approach and being unwilling to change when it looked needed, but holy shit is he better than matheny. I think he will get better and I think the team is all in behind him. 

Defense was light years better than last year. But it was tough to watch carp and bader regress behind the plate. Not sure what to do with ozuna. I dig that cat but my God is he bad defensively. Same with Jose Martinez. 

I'm pretty bullish on our pitching. I think Flaherty is a legit ace. I think we've seen the last of wacha and we have a few young guys that can fill starting roles. I hope Martinez is one of them because he drives me crazy as a closer. Hopefully Hicks is back sooner rather than later. 

Still need a bat in the middle of the order. A guy that just can hit for contact (hello 2018 version of carpenter). 

Only 120 days until pitchers and catchers report!

I think that we still need to find another arm or two to start this offseason. Of course, only one if Waino comes back. No more banking on Alex Reyes and Carlos Martinez.

They also have to make up their mind on this outfield. Unfortunately, Fowler and Carpenter have deals that will prevent us from moving them. Like both guys, but the skills have severely diminished for both.

3 hours ago, pops said:

Schildt drove me crazy at times this year with his structured approach and being unwilling to change when it looked needed, but holy shit is he better than matheny. I think he will get better and I think the team is all in behind him. 

1.  "Better than Matheny" should not be a standard.

2.  Paul absolutely loves Shildt.

3.  I do not.  Not to be a broken record, but that locking-into-a-pitching-plan shit has to change.  Anyone who allows that many 7-run innings is a complete failure at bullpen management.  

39 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

1.  "Better than Matheny" should not be a standard.

They're 0.580 under Shildt.  It's a tiny sample size, but compare it to modern predecessors:

White Herzog:  0.530

Joe Torre:  0.498

Tony La Russa:  0.544

Mike Matheny:  0.555

So far, so good, particularly for a team that isn't exactly loaded with talent.  The problem will be "how do we get more talent?"

The Cardinals have recommitted to additional years of its baseball operation leadership group, from the dugout to the front office.

President of baseball operations John Mozeliak, general manager Michael Girsch, and manager Mike Shildt all received new terms and extensions on their contracts, chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. announced Tuesday at Busch Stadium.

Mozeliak has led the baseball operations for the Cardinals since 2007, and his new contract will be a three-year contract, added on to the deal that was set to expire after 2020.

“The key word is continuity,” Mozeliak said.

Girsch had his option for 2020 picked up and his contract extended for two years.

Shildt has a new contract written for three years starting with 2020.

All of the major-league coaches will return to the Cardinals in 2020.

Waino is back, right?  I saw a blurb to that effect, but now I only see reports of ongoing negotiations.

Not that he's worth a ton going forward, but still . . .

One more for Waino according to Rosenthal. I like the idea of Waino and Molina going out together.

Now, we need to get a SP and add another power bat.

I have to agree. If he was willing to be a back up at some point, I could see it a bit longer term. One year, I would not be opposed to it.

So, what's the consensus regarding the severity of the Astros' high-tech sign-stealing system, say, relative to a scouting director hacking into a team's servers to steal draft and other personnel information?

Asking for myself because I recall Astros fans being mighty fucking indignant about how St. Louis is the dirtiest franchise since the Black Sox and lily white Houston would never, ever dare do anything that is against the rules.

L.  M.  F.  A.  O.

Image result for rick perry oops gif"

The sign stealing made me laugh for sure, something about not throwing stones. I am not naive to think that this isn’t happening everywhere, but the Astros are going to be penalized the heaviest for whatever is found. They have not had a good last month whether it be baseball or PR.