Septic system vs. garbage disposal

So, I'm reading all sorts of conflicting things on this shitty topic...   Do any of you have a septic system AND a garbage disposal.  I know it can pose problems if one isn't careful, but curious if those concerns are overblown. 

We are close to moving on a house but new to septic and damn well want a disposal if we can have it (moving from NYC apartments, get a rope, etc.)

I hope this topic doesn't stink for everyone.

Also should watch out for the hidden little things like small fruit seeds and the like.  It isn't the septic tank that is so much of an issue, it's more the little stuff that doesn't dissolve/break down can get into the drain field and plug up the lines there.  

• Like 1

... and keep in mind that I had my tank pumped out for the FIRST time about 3 years ago, after] 21 years.  Point:  my tank was working great because nothing was in there to fuck it up.  (people recommend pumping every 5-7 years but I say fuck that.  And we had a family of 4, now two empty nesters).

You keep nasty hard shit plus too much grease out of it, it's going to function great.

• Like 1