I don't know what the "Funky Cold Medina" is. Even context clues have failed me.

HornOnTheBayou

17 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Is this a show that needs to be watched? I feel like it does but have never heard it talked about and just saw that it's been on since 2013. I do tend to live underground sometimes. 

yes.  did you like the office or parks and rec?  mike schur and dan goor are involved with all of them.

On 4/1/2019 at 1:37 PM, henrygandorf said:

yes.  did you like the office or parks and rec?  mike schur and dan goor are involved with all of them.

It's got a bit of a 30 Rock feel to it as well.  Hilariously absurd.  

I just realized I've never typed the word "absurd" before.  I was shocked when spell check gave me the go ahead.  I still think there's a decent chance I spelled in incorrectly.  

The one thing I was worried about Nine-Nine was Andy Samberg. He is like Will Ferrel in that he can go way overboard with the absurd. (h/t GoPokes). But he manages to just give you a taste and then reel it back in. I never expected to like Nine-Nine, but I'm a big fan.

Also, Hitchcock (Dirk Blocker) FTW!

4dc97afe28358890419c52a6289978f7.jpg

MV5BMTcyOTA5NTQwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjIw

dirk-blocker-6807f7b0-60f0-48be-8e48-0b2

B99-504_scn3pt_JA0487_hires2.jpg

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Imma have to assume all those zingers were better in context because I didn’t find any of that funny. That guy was good in Glory though.

eh, those two are not my favorite parts of the show. at all. they’re basic background noise. 

1 hour ago, Clintonaldo said:

I can’t believe I haven’t been watching this show. I laughed my ass off at those videos. 

the velvet thunder clip (from "the chopper" episode) is funny on its own, but if you hadn't been watching up until that episode, you weren't completely familiar with the personality clashes between samberg and capt holt.  when he finally breaks and agrees to use code names and call it "a chopper", the payoff is worth it.

start from the beginning.  it's a great show and somehow underrated.

the best running gag on the show:

oh, and i was originally looking for the "twas" clip:

• Haha 1

is gina linetti the most under-appreciated character on tv?

it's not in the above clip, because she didn't say it.  but there's a great scene where rosa is talking to a guy who went to high school with gina, about how terrible and self-centered she is.  and rosa is like, "on two separate occasions, she's called me gina.  that's her own name."

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

is gina linetti the most under-appreciated character on tv?

it's not in the above clip, because she didn't say it.  but there's a great scene where rosa is talking to a guy who went to high school with gina, about how terrible and self-centered she is.  and rosa is like, "on two separate occasions, she's called me gina.  that's her own name."

ben wyatt for most under appreciated, but gina is my jam, my jelly, my peanut butter, and my peanuts.

• 2 months later...

hulu is great.

and if you're considering cutting the cord, hulu is a must have.  they run most major network stuff as early as the day after an episode airs (everything except cbs i believe).

when we cut the cord, i thought we'd mostly watch netflix, but hulu has dominated.  we also have directvnow, so we're not completely cut off from live tv.

there are several good threads if you're looking for comparisons.

• Like 1

i don't want to derail this thread, so y'all should visit this one:

re: netflix, i've found that other than the occasional mad men or west wing rerun, if i'm watching netflix, then i'm watching netflix-exclusive content.  i would definitely ditch netflix before hulu if given the option of those two.

Also for those who are new to 99, it starts funny but gets even better. Like Parks and Rec, the first season is the weakest. 

It's noticably slower in the earlier episodes. The jokes speed up and it takes off later in the show. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 1:04 PM, RPM said:

[csb] The guy who plays Scully, Joel Miller, used to wait tables and tend bar at Engine Co. No. 28, the downtown LA bar my work colleagues and I frequented back in the 90's.  Very nice guy.  We knew he was an actor and that the restaurant work was to make ends meet, but it was pretty cool when he started landing stuff like The Truman Show. [/csb] 

• 4 weeks later...