Bee Caves, Lakeway, Hudson Bend Eats

Anastasis

This is the place to talk South Lake Travis eating options. Some places I like since moving out here a couple years ago. 

Apis - Best casual fine diningish option out this way.

Wild - Only been a few time.  Have enjoyed the food. Perfectly cooked venison loin last time I went. Very very underwhelming service.

Santa Catarina - Mexican, not Tex-Mex.

Hops and Thyme - Kid friendly brasserie with nice outdoor seating under oaks.

The League - Kid friendly american.

Lakeway Market - Growler fills. 

Baquette et Chocolate - Bakery

Simply Pho - Pretty sure this is the only Pho option out this way.

On the list to try: Proof and Copper, Don Marios, Verona.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This is the place to talk South Lake Travis eating options. Some places I like since moving out here a couple years ago. 

Apis - Best casual fine diningish option out this way.

Wild - Only been a few time.  Have enjoyed the food. Perfectly cooked venison loin last time I went. Very very underwhelming service.

Santa Catarina - Mexican, not Tex-Mex.

Hops and Thyme - Kid friendly brasserie with nice outdoor seating under oaks.

The League - Kid friendly american.

Lakeway Market - Growler fills. 

Baquette et Chocolate - Bakery

Simply Pho - Pretty sure this is the only Pho option out this way.

On the list to try: Proof and Copper, Don Marios, Verona.

Proof and Cooper is great for cocktails but hit or miss on food.  Had some good fried chicken from there and some not so good.  Deviled eggs are good.  

Carmela’s is surprisingly good (across from proof and cooper) for standard Italian fare and good pizza. A few others out there I haven’t tried yet. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

Proof and Cooper was mediocre in my one experience too. Continue down the road a bit for Family Business Beer Company if it's a nice day though. Great wrap around porch to sit and rock and drink an IPA or three. There's also a food truck, but it was closed the day we were there.

Is Verde's any good? Always seem to be cars there.

Rosie's needs to be on the list, even if just for nachos.

It's All Good BBQ is above average.

And Angel's Icehouse is always a good time.

Oh, and Poodie's. Definitely not too snooty.

Edited by ftf82
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Verde’s food is ok, but the handful of times I’ve been there over the years, it’s always a zoo, the service is slow, and you’re risking your life getting in and out of there on that curve.

I agree with the assessment.  Back patio is very kid friendly. Food is fine, service is slow.  

55 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

It's All Good BBQ is above average.

Can somebody handicap the BBQ options.  I've only tried a few, and to be frank the most consistent good BBQ I have found is at cafe 620. Haven't really worked my way through the places off 71 though.

Also, pizza @ pizza casa nostra may have to be the backdraft replacement.  I have not been, but have heard that the pizza at the place attached to apis is VERY good, if you want to drop $100 on pizza to feed a family of 5. Which I don't. 

Edited by Anastasis

It's All Good when it's on is better than Opie's. When it's not it's still good, but Opie's is better. And Opie's has butter beans on weekends which makes it better on weekends. Schmidt Family BBQ is mediocre at best. My wife likes their chicken, but the brisket is consistently dry. I've never tried RO's. Much like Grandpa's Tacos at Bee Creek, it never appears to be open. From Spicewood, it's also only another 30 minutes or so to Coopers in Llano, which to me is still one of the best places on earth for bbq.

Edited to add Willie's Burgers next to my storage unit. All I've ever had are breakfast tacos, but Willie is a cool old dude. And it's been open forever so I suspect the bbq is okay if not better.

Edited by ftf82
  • Like 2

I like apis only been once.

Our go to’s are:

Cho’s for sushi

Maudie’s for Margaritas and trash texmex

Santa Catarina for Mexican

Hops & thyme for beer

Grove for wine and solid food

Canyon Grille (by boat only)

Sundancer Grill (by boat only)

Outside of fast food for the kids that’s currently it for us.

Major blind spot for dine in pizza. Toss pizza is coming to bee cave soon though.

13 hours ago, troph said:

Major blind spot for dine in pizza. Toss pizza is coming to bee cave soon though.

Interesting. 

Really the dine in options are: 

Casa Nostra 

Tony Cs

Mangieres 

That expensive Apis linked place.

Casa Nostra and Tony C's are serviceable. Will be good to have another option in Toss.  Does that location have an out door deck?

Interesting. 

Really the dine in options are: 

Casa Nostra 

Tony Cs

Mangieres 

That expensive Apis linked place.

Casa Nostra and Tony C's are serviceable. Will be good to have another option in Toss.  Does that location have an out door deck?

I think they will have outdoor space. Not sure how much or the plan at the moment. Should be open by summer assuming permit nonsense doesn’t delay.

I think Tony C’s is okay at best. Mangieres is a place my kids will eat but I’m not a big fan.

Does Rocco's Grill not quality?  Their pizzas are "flatbreads", but they look like pizzas to me.

I always forget about Rocco’s since they moved. I have a hard time not getting the calamari appetizer and eating the whole fucker myself.

If I’m doing pizza I just drive to Via 313 in Oak hill. The rest in the area are just serviceable IMO.

I always forget about Rocco’s since they moved. I have a hard time not getting the calamari appetizer and eating the whole fucker myself.

If I’m doing pizza I just drive to Via 313 in Oak hill. The rest in the area are just serviceable IMO.

Ohh 313 in oak hill! We do pieous from time to time too.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:22 PM, 3adays said:

How about Los Pinos? MIL lives out that way and I pass by it all the time. 

Tried it twice and it was very sub-par. It was better than La Cabana down 71 in Spicewood which I only tried once and was one of the worst Mexican food restaurants I ever set foot in (in terms of food qualify and service). I know I'm not getting necessarily great food at Rosie's, but I know what I'm getting. Those two places (Los Pinos and La Cabana) are trying to live off reputations they never had.

Los Pinos on Hudson Bend Road slams and goes hard. Homemade tortillas (flour and corn), best pozole in town, great enchiladas, etc. 

The other one had a less than stellar reputation on TOS, but I’ve never been to that one. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Los Pinos on Hudson Bend Road slams and goes hard. Homemade tortillas (flour and corn), best pozole in town, great enchiladas, etc. 
The other one had a less than stellar reputation on TOS, but I’ve never been to that one. 

Their pozole is awesome. Decent carnitas and fajitas but the rest is pretty meh.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:33 PM, hornian said:

Good Mexican Martinis there as well -- large shakers

Breakfast is all I've had there and it is fine.   5 minutes after I was served the owner came up to me and said. "how do you like your food? Taste good?"  He asked me the exact same question again 5 minutes later.  Then asked a dude coming out of the restroom how he liked his food as well.  It was very weird.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 2:48 PM, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Plate by Dzintra in Bee Cave is a really, really good dining experience. Not cheap, but not outrageous, either. She offers a European take on a bunch of what I'd call "new American" dishes.

took my mom there for mother's day last year (dinner) and it was a very nice experience (and avoided the crowds and madness of all the DT places on MD). 

when they were at their old location years back they served lunch and i'd get the cheeseburger - it is damn good.  don't think they do lunch anymore though but still serve it at dinner.

• 1 month later...

went to Giovanni's table yesterday and it was great. It's a little hole in the wall at 11701 Bee Caves Rd. Family owned, it seems to be a guy and his wife running the show. They might not be right off the boat but are from Italy. I had the carbonara and it was great. I'm looking forward to trying the pizza. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^

Yep, I like that place a lot.  Only been 3 times or so over the last 2 months, but really liked it.  Haven't been able to veer away from the dogs.  How's the Italian Beef there?  

Chi Town has been around for several years.  They had a small building between Hudson Bend and Lakeway that burned down a while back.

I have not been to the trailer.  I assume they still have the Chicago beef sandwich.  If so, get it, with a dip (they dunk it in jus).

i stopped in at the Chi Town trailer a couple weeks ago on the way home from the lake and had the Italian beed (dipped, sweet and hot).  it was tasty.  i'm not an expert on legit Chicago Italian beef sandwiches so can't speak to authenticity, but i thought it was pretty damn good.

That's usually the m.o. as I remember it from Chicago.  But I was secretly hoping you were gonna say pastrami because I am about to head that way and I wanted an excuse to stop there.  I may still go and try the Italian Beef, but I know I'll likely just get the chicago style dog sans onion.  His relish is a little too strong, but everything else is spot on---the celery salt, the sport peppers, the spear, tomato, mustard. I mean in terms of both taste and quantity.  Crinkle fries are top nothch.  All he needs to do is more boldly announce that you can BYOB there (not sure if that's actually true considering the Bee Cave laws).  But two weeks ago, it was one of those not-so-terribly hot days.  I sat out under his tent with an ice cold root beer and a perfectly cooked dog and fries.  And the wind shifted and blew the smell from the grill over to me and it was like I was in high school again at Little Joe's just outside Chicago.  

Anyway, tried 827 Ray's or whatever it's called next to Hudson's for a casual lunch.  Tried it 3 times thusfar since we've been doing a lot of work out there and I want to like it because the finish-out and staff are top-notch.  But the food is subpar every fucking time.  How's their neighbor---Texas Street Grill?  It's only open a few days a week but been meaning to try it during my sabbatical out here. 

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That's usually the m.o. as I remember it from Chicago.  But I was secretly hoping you were gonna say pastrami because I am about to head that way and I wanted an excuse to stop there.  I may still go and try the Italian Beef, but I know I'll likely just get the chicago style dog sans onion.  His relish is a little too strong, but everything else is spot on---the celery salt, the sport peppers, the spear, tomato, mustard. I mean in terms of both taste and quantity.  Crinkle fries are top nothch.  All he needs to do is more boldly announce that you can BYOB there (not sure if that's actually true considering the Bee Cave laws).  But two weeks ago, it was one of those not-so-terribly hot days.  I sat out under his tent with an ice cold root beer and a perfectly cooked dog and fries.  And the wind shifted and blew the smell from the grill over to me and it was like I was in high school again at Little Joe's just outside Chicago.  

Anyway, tried 827 Ray's or whatever it's called next to Hudson's for a casual lunch.  Tried it 3 times thusfar since we've been doing a lot of work out there and I want to like it because the finish-out and staff are top-notch.  But the food is subpar every fucking time.  How's their neighbor---Texas Street Grill?  It's only open a few days a week but been meaning to try it during my sabbatical out here. 

They have a hot pastrami as well. 

I have been underwhelmed with both the food and service at Rays.

Apparently they rebranded. 

https://communityimpact.com/local-news/austin/lake-travis-westlake/news/2019/05/06/827-rays-to-remodel-rebrand/

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

They have a hot pastrami as well. 

I have been underwhelmed with both the food and service at Rays.

Apparently they rebranded. 

https://communityimpact.com/local-news/austin/lake-travis-westlake/news/2019/05/06/827-rays-to-remodel-rebrand/

Food there was awful.  Went there on a Monday, and got a cold, overcooked steak and osso buco that had been cooked the day before, refrigerated and reheated.  How do I know this?  Because it was cold, I mean ice cold, at and near the bone.

Yes --- they re-branded.  The new sign is out front -- they are using the same "Texas Street Grill" name as the outdoor spot.  It is open now, but have not tried it, and won't until I start hearing more about it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure when this happened, but Wild Kitchen out on Hwy 71 closed.

Can't say I'm surprised as everytime we went we were totally underwhelmed by the food.  We kept wanting to like it as the menu was really good, but their execution was shit.  Our kids loved it though, and frankly the food on the kids was more consistently good than the regular menu.

On 10/21/2019 at 5:46 AM, Wiler77 said:

Not sure when this happened, but Wild Kitchen out on Hwy 71 closed.

Can't say I'm surprised as everytime we went we were totally underwhelmed by the food.  We kept wanting to like it as the menu was really good, but their execution was shit.  Our kids loved it though, and frankly the food on the kids was more consistently good than the regular menu.

A couple of months ago

the Grille at Rough Hollow.  What an utter and complete waste of time.  20+ minute drive out there from my Lakeway office.  NIce views of the lake if you get one of maybe 3 tables.  Rest are obfuscated with their shittastic layout.  Parking is a disaster.  Staff was binary, two of the folks that helped us were horrible, two were nice.  Food was mediocre, at best.  Anyway, this place is beyond worthless considering what a nice monopoly they have on the view.  But it's all wasted on a shitty experience from start to finish.  /endrant

On 10/22/2019 at 9:24 PM, Lobo said:

the Grille at Rough Hollow.  What an utter and complete waste of time.  20+ minute drive out there from my Lakeway office.  NIce views of the lake if you get one of maybe 3 tables.  Rest are obfuscated with their shittastic layout.  Parking is a disaster.  Staff was binary, two of the folks that helped us were horrible, two were nice.  Food was mediocre, at best.  Anyway, this place is beyond worthless considering what a nice monopoly they have on the view.  But it's all wasted on a shitty experience from start to finish.  /endrant

Tried it twice.  No reason for a third time.

Also, did the Chi-town trailer guy close down?   Last few times I drove by at lunch; other trailers were open but his closed.  Still had the giant wooden menu up but no car behind it, window shuttered, and no neon sign.  And this over the course of a week or two around 11:30 each time.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 5:13 PM, Lobo said:

Also, did the Chi-town trailer guy close down?   Last few times I drove by at lunch; other trailers were open but his closed.  Still had the giant wooden menu up but no car behind it, window shuttered, and no neon sign.  And this over the course of a week or two around 11:30 each time.  

looks like they are on rainey street now