Bee Caves, Lakeway, Hudson Bend Eats

Anastasis

Well, The North End in Bee Cave proper seems like it'll be opening soon to satiate those of you out that way hankering for better Italian.  

And I still say Verona on 620 is underrated.  Never been for dinner but have enjoyed lunch there.

6 hours ago, texasdago said:

Is there a web page or background on North End?  

Just this landing page:  http://www.northendcuisine.com/

Two of my favorite Italian joints in all the world are in Boston, and this appears to be modeled after that.  Bit of a tough misnomer though with two Italian restaurants in Austin called "North."  They must have hit another permitting snag because it looked like they were trying to open this month.  But google says 17 April.  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Just this landing page:  http://www.northendcuisine.com/

Two of my favorite Italian joints in all the world are in Boston, and this appears to be modeled after that.  Bit of a tough misnomer though with two Italian restaurants in Austin called "North."  They must have hit another permitting snag because it looked like they were trying to open this month.  But google says 17 April.  

Looking forward to trying North End

As for North:  I’ve always liked it.  It was a small=ish chain based out of Arizona. They sold a few months ago to the company that owns Cheesecake Factory (ugh!) so we’ll see how it holds up...

Had no idea Cheesecake Factory bought ‘em out.  I like north’s very simple and short menu.  I guess we’ll know the food is about to get shitty when their menu suddenly becomes 14 pages long and features the Oreo Tuna Parmesan 

Giacomo’s was recommended to me by this older guy at my hotel bar that played for the Patriots in the 70s.  Small joint that reminded me of the places we frequented growing up in Chicago.  I go back there every time I’m in Boston.  

Can’t recall the other name, had trattoria in The name (and half of em have that).   Iwas only there once but It was the best grilled calamari I’ve ever had.  And an Arabiatta that rivals vespaio.   I could find it on a map I suppose.  It was right in edge of north end and the highway because I walked across to a sports bar to watch a longhorns tourney game at the Exes watch party.  The bartenders were the only hot women in Boston and they were all wearing burnt orange yoga pants.  That’s mostly what I remember.  And we lost to Michigan.  

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Had no idea Cheesecake Factory bought ‘em out.  I like north’s very simple and short menu.  I guess we’ll know the food is about to get shitty when their menu suddenly becomes 14 pages long and features the Oreo Tuna Parmesan 

And Vince Young is a regular. 

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Kinda want. 

Been there several times

Brisket — really good.  Black Angus.

Sausage — good. Jalapeño cheddar > regular. Pic above is the regular.  Not classic central Texas, but good.

Ribs — ribs are fine. Not the best I’ve had but good.

Sides — very good.

Also does a daily soup

As I said before, guy was a chef at Mezzaluna and Siena, and quit to raise his kids.  In the 620 corridor, Interstellar is better, but Jim’s is more than credible bbq.

• 4 weeks later...

I called via 313 at 5 expecting to pick up in 30-45 minutes and they said it was an hour and a half. Girl said they were busier now than before the lockdown. So I had to call an audible. Looked at the map around the galleria and searched for pizza and there was only one place I hadn't tried so "Jersey Giant Pizza" it was.

It was pretty good. Reminded me of Home Slice. Small was 18 inches. Got italian sausage pepperoni and mushroom. Expected it to be all greasy but it wasn't at all. Will  order from there again.

I like Jersey’s too.

We did Via the first week of this and the entire parking lot was full of people waiting for their text. They can do more biz now without people taking up tables. They’ve been wanting to get another space in the shopping center for takeout only for a while. I see why. 

18 minutes ago, troph said:

We get jersey’s after baseball games. It’s decent. I like to crisp it up a bit in a cast iron pan on the stove for about a minute. Fold that over and it’s almost like a crispy calzone.

All of this.  I've called in orders many times from FOD. 

• 4 months later...

It's not traditional breakfast in the diner sense, but there's an excellent breakfast plate of just huevos, bacon, and papas at Maudie's in Bee Cave.  Best standard fare breakfast was Galaxy Cafe but they closed down.  There's some good tex-mex joints out that way, but if you're looking for traditional American breakfasts, Maudie's is about as close to it as I can think of.  Literally, the best second option, and I've been having breakfast out there for 18 months is the breakfast platter at Hat Creek on 620.  Some of the resorts/spas do a nice breakfast but it's a beating to get out to them and park...and way too expensive for a simple breakfast.  

It's strange that an area with so many olds and work from home folks doesn't do more good breakfast joints besides the usual taco suspects.  Probably explains why the Chick-Fil-A line is 40 cars deep whenever I drive by at breakfast time.  But yeah, sometimes you wanna sit quietly, start the workday in silence with multiple coffees, and enjoy a great plate.  That really just doesn't exist out there.  If there is, I'd love to hear the secrets because I'd rip up some eggs benedict out that way.  

6 hours ago, blacklab said:

Is there anywhere in lakeway/bee cave to get a good breakfast?

Someplace that has eggs benedict and/or eggs/bacon/hash browns?

http://www.vivelcrepes.com/food/

Sunday brunch opens up a variety of different options...but otherwise fairly limited for what you are looking for.  Baquette et chocalate also good, but doesn't hit your specific ask. 

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Also think a Pluckers would kill it.

I would do everything I could to keep a wing spot with a tap wall in business out here. I'm not a huge fan of pluckers TBH, but pre-COVID I've thought about reaching out to the WingzUp guys to see what a franchise set up would look like. Then I think about why I don't want to go broke, and I go to the League and grab some wings. Totally off the map wings that are really good out here...Artemis Mediterranean.  But it's not a wing bar by any stretch of the imagination.  

thanks guys.
Yeah Lobo, I've been looping around from Maudies, Torchy's, Hat Creek, and this week tried Rosie's.
Will give Vivel a shot this week.
I think a snooze/magnolia/Kerby lane would do some major business out here. 
Also think a Pluckers would kill it.

Long history of restaurants shitting the bed out here, but with the grove, torchys and maudies you’d hope some majors would come out here after Covid. I’d love for some mid level places like the grove more than fast food but I’ll take anything about now. Would die for a chipotle in Lakeway/galleria area.

Los Pinos---I hit that place up a lot for happy hour for several months.  And I know it's cliche to say that a place has gone downhill since Covid-19, but that place has gone downhill during Covid-19 and it wasn't that high above the bar to begin with.  There's some great Tex-Mex along 620 though.  But yeah, y'all bring up amplified points on these posts...a proper and traditional  breakfast/lunch spot should kill it out there but there are literally almost zero in terms of fast-casual/diner types.  Never really thought about it until this recent thread bump.  

Let me echo that Cafe Lago is a solid choice, a little too far off 620 for my tastes when rushing to get to office. But good food, good people..  Problem is their patio is tiny and their space constraints during Covid-19 make it really hard to dine in.  And their best breakfast menu items are for some reason still confined to their weekend menu.  As in...who gives a shit?  It's Friday, I don't give a fuck.  You already have everything to make a chops & eggs, so just fucking make it already and charge me whatever.  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Los Pinos---I hit that place up a lot for happy hour for several months.  And I know it's cliche to say that a place has gone downhill since Covid-19, but that place has gone downhill during Covid-19 and it wasn't that high above the bar to begin with.  There's some great Tex-Mex along 620 though.  But yeah, y'all bring up amplified points on these posts...a proper and traditional  breakfast/lunch spot should kill it out there but there are literally almost zero in terms of fast-casual/diner types.  Never really thought about it until this recent thread bump.  

Let me echo that Cafe Lago is a solid choice, a little too far off 620 for my tastes when rushing to get to office. But good food, good people..  Problem is their patio is tiny and their space constraints during Covid-19 make it really hard to dine in.  And their best breakfast menu items are for some reason still confined to their weekend menu.  As in...who gives a shit?  It's Friday, I don't give a fuck.  You already have everything to make a chops & eggs, so just fucking make it already and charge me whatever.  

If you are referring to the one on Hudson Bend, yes, it is looking really worn (more so than before).

That said, had some really good  Migas with chorizo from there last week (takeout, of course)

I've heard one rave review from somebody I trust on Mediterranean food.  Menu looks solid and traditional.  Thought it was strange that their two locations are Bee Cave, Texas and South Lake Tahoe, CA.  Both areas known for their strong Greek presence ;)     But yeah, I want to try it...but their patio is always in the sun and hot because of all the impervious cover around it.  I'll hit it up if I'm still going out there for work in ~6 weeks or so when lunch on the patio will be comfortable, and not just a Covid-19 inconvenience.  If you get there first, throw up your recs on what to get.  

4th&Five---whereabout did y'all buy your office out there?  Just out of market curiosity?  Don't worry, I won't come by.  

That italian place by the car wash and behind Dick's and that part of the Galleria...it was gonna be North End or something.  We had a long post about how it was a bad name because of the North Italia locations around Austin.  Anyway, it changed names officially under their liquor license pull to "Ellera" and set to open in about a month's time.  And their marketing is still playing up their North end Boston roots without using those words.  Hopefully, my gig out that way will be done by then, but I'd like to give it a shot at some point.  Anybody makes it by for a soft opening (if we can still have those during Covid-19), post details here!  

Finally, I think I already asked way, way upthread but can't find it---------what's the verdict on Schmidt BBQ in Bee Cave?  Always smells good when I drive by, but I've ever been in there.  

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I've heard one rave review from somebody I trust on Mediterranean food.  Menu looks solid and traditional.  Thought it was strange that their two locations are Bee Cave, Texas and South Lake Tahoe, CA.  Both areas known for their strong Greek presence ;)     But yeah, I want to try it...but their patio is always in the sun and hot because of all the impervious cover around it.  I'll hit it up if I'm still going out there for work in ~6 weeks or so when lunch on the patio will be comfortable, and not just a Covid-19 inconvenience.  If you get there first, throw up your recs on what to get.  

Yeah, if he is referring to Artemis, I think that it is has been discussed up thread. Location is terrible. We've done a few pandemic pick ups from there. I like it.  I mentioned their wings. It's not really Greek, as they blend a lot of different stuff on the menu (e.g., Persian).  Their avgolemono is not good, that is the only bad thing I can say so far. I really hope that they make is through this because I like their food. 

Edited by Anastasis

Thanks for the heads up though I doubt I'd order a rice-egg soup in the summertime in Texas.  ;) 

I guess I could do to-go if the stuff travels well (Greek food usually does not).  Any other entrees/sandwiches you recommend?  I'm hitting it up next week, it is decided.  

Really shitty thing is they open up right before Covid-19, as stated---location is tough for to-go food, and then they get to open up patio seating in June but the damn thing is always in the sun.  From 11am-7pm, it's always in the sun with its own parking lot/building to the south, 620 heat/noise to the west, and the HC Galleria parking lot to the east.  With no mature shade trees.  That's gotta suck.  I'm sure the inside is cool and comfy with a nice bar, but I wanna try it for lunch with my team, but not with that layout.  To-go it is.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Any other entrees/sandwiches you recommend?  I'm hitting it up next week, it is decided.  

Things I have had that I thought were good (descriptions from their menu):

Apps:

Greek Wings – Spicy garlic herb wings served with a side of cool yogurt feta dipping sauce.

Spanokopita – Flaky phyllo stuffed with spinach and feta.

Greek Lettuce Wraps – Crisp romaine cups filled with spicy ground chicken, sundried tomatoes and aromatic vegetables topped with feta, julienned cucumber, and fresh mint vinaigrette.

Artemis Fries – Highly addictive house-seasoned fries with our Artemis dipping sauce.

Pitas:

Lamb Gyros – Classic rotisserie gyros with tomato, onion, and homemade tzaziki sauce. (very good but typical americanized gyro, I wish that el greco didn't face plant into powder, cause their pork gyros were legit as hell. And their avgolemono a standard bearer). 

Greek Burger –1/2 lb house-ground lamb burger topped with feta and caramelized onions with garlic-mint aioli.

Plates:

Gyros Plate – Strips of rotisserie Lamb, Greek salad, pita bread, tzaziki and feta.

Feta and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast -- With sun-dried tomato lemon cream sauce, saffron rice pilaf and tabbouleh. (I liked this, wife did not)

Haven't gotten around to their duck, sirloin, or venison dishes but am intrigued.  Salads sounds good, would do the horiataki. Or maybe a caesar add grilled shrimp. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm sure the inside is cool and comfy with a nice bar, but I wanna try it for lunch with my team, but not with that layout.

I don't remember when they opened, but the inside was as you describe. Took the boy in there and we plowed through some stuff (and beers).  Fuck COVID. 

• Like 1

I don't remember when they opened, but the inside was as you describe. Took the boy in there and we plowed through some stuff (and beers).  Fuck COVID. 

Nothing says to Covid argo fuck yourself like your school aged son pounding beers with you at a strip center Mediterranean grub spot. That’s winning.
  • Hook 'Em 1

that bad, huh?  Shit, was wanting to knock it out before I quit working out there. Always smelled so damn good.  I figured the empty parking lot was due to Covid-19, not shitty barbecue. 

Does it have any redeeming features?  I know the photos can be deceiving but the sausage at least looks good.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

that bad, huh?  Shit, was wanting to knock it out before I quit working out there. Always smelled so damn good.  I figured the empty parking lot was due to Covid-19, not shitty barbecue. 

Does it have any redeeming features?  I know the photos can be deceiving but the sausage at least looks good.  

imho, you would be better off rolling to the HEB in lakeway and getting some Q. *precovid advice*

Is it back open normal hours?  That whole little food truck park took a big hit during quarantine.  Half the trailers never reopened and are sitting there almost "abandoned."  If that joint is still open, I'd like to give it a try.  Requisite question------what are your recs?