We Shall Discuss Crowded House

hullabelew

They don't get enough credit.   I know we talked about Neil Finn the Fleetwood Mac thread.....but we shall enjoy this.   Saw them about 4 years ago and they are still killing it.  This is just fun.  And watching Will Lee on the bass makes my heart smile.  

I can't imagine what it must feel like to write a song an and then live the experience at the 4:00 mark. 

• Like 3

One of my all-time favorites -- "Temple of Low Men" makes my desert island top 10 discs, and that's a list that the Beatles couldn't crack.  (Not that my list matters, just sayin'.)

I told it years ago on the old site, but for the young'uns:  I was right up front when Crowded House played Austin Opera House at their peak, maybe 1990.  They were tremendous.  At some point they asked if anyone in the crowd would be willing to come up and sing a cover song, to which some drunk yelled "Brown Eyed Girl".  In a moment of dread, the guys in the band looked at each other, shrugged, and said "OK come sing it".  The drunkard hopped on stage and reached for Neil Finn's guitar, which he reluctantly gave up, saw the dude start the song, and then just decided to jump in the crowd.  Next some other drunk yelled "I can play bass" so Nick Seymour was like, "OK, fucker come give it a go".  He jumps into the crowd.  Paul Hester (RIP) then says "fuck it, anyone play drums?" and a 3rd drunk (ironically, none of them me) says "sure!" and before I know it I'm standing with Crowded House watching a trio of utter fucktards butcher Van Morrison.  It was glorious.

Did I mention RIP Paul Hester?  He was such a funny, gentle dude.  You just never know what's happening behind the scenes . . .

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

I saw them one of the first years I went to ACL - probably 10 years ago? They are great live.

Split Enz is another good group that gets even less acclaim outside NZ. 

Continuing to veer somewhat off topic with Split Enz, because I'm now going through their stuff, this track is so far ahead of its time:

You could tell me Arcade Fire or Animal Collective released this last year and I'd beleive you.

I'm sure you know Split Enz evolved into Crowded House, correct?  I remember seeing an ad for this in Rolling Stone, the laser etching, pretty cool.

Regarding Crowded House, yeah, huge fan, still have my Temple of Low Men and Woodface CDs.  Doesn't get much better than this:

And this is one of the best pop songs I've ever heard:

That was a great period for music, Crowded House, Michael Penn, Aimee Mann just to name a few, back when KGSR actually played great music.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

I'm sure you know Split Enz evolved into Crowded House, correct? 

Yes, hence why I'm posting their stuff here.

Not totally the same band though so I didn't want to completely detract from the Crowded House convo. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Paul Hester, go dig up some interviews with Neil Finn after Paul died.  More than once he referred to Paul as "the best drummer I ever worked with" (paraphrased).

Now listen to "Better Be Home Soon" and find a way to dispute that assertion.  Perfect, supportive pop drumming.  Not too much, just enough, and rock solid, with such a tasty groove.

Now I'm depressed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

I remember seeing an ad for this in Rolling Stone, the laser etching, pretty cool.

https://www.google.com/search?q=split+enz+laser+etched+true+colors&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS822US822&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvseHV6K_hAhVDUK0KHeNFD4sQ_AUIDygC&biw=1745&bih=852

The album cover was initially released in four colour combinations – yellow and blue, red and green, purple and yellow, and blue and orange – but would ultimately be given another four makeovers with releases in lime green and pink, hot purple and burnt orange, gold and platinum (to mark its sales milestones), and finally yellow, blue and red.

When it was later released on the A&M label, wild, imaginative shapes and patterns covered the vinyl using a technique known as "laser-etching". When light hit the record, these designs would protrude and spin about the room. The album was the first to ever use this technique, originally designed to discourage the creation of counterfeit copies.

A synthesizer melody played in "I Wouldn't Dream of It" was first introduced in an early Split Enz recording, aptly titled "The Instrumental".

True Colours was remastered by Eddie Rayner and re-released on two occasions. Firstly in 2003, and yet again with the rest of the Split Enz catalogue on 20 May 2006 with the bonus tracks: Things and Two Of a Kind. In October 2010, the album was listed at number 22 in the book, 100 Best Australian Albums, despite being a New Zealand production.

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

And one of the gayest videos.

Hey. It was the 80s. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

And one of the gayest videos.

The extras are two girls and one guy.  The guy hauls off with the drummer at the end.  You do the math.  (No actual knowledge one way or another, I just always thought it was telling.)

=====

Serious points because seriously:  check out those first two videos hulla posted.  The first shows a young band, insanely talented, full of piss and vinegar and joy, and you can see it reflected in Letterman's guys backing them up, to the point where Paul Shaffer tosses a paper airplane at Neil Finn late in the tune (see gay video).

Then watch the last live take in Sydney, and you'll see nothing but complete pros, comfortable in their place, with a sound that has been burnished over time, laid back, but with no less effort or importance.  It's just remarkable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...