Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This is something Biden wants to protect.

Did you know that Nancy Pelosi came down to Texas to campaign for Trump-loving Henry Cuellar, who went on to beat Jessica Cisneros in the primary?

Regardless of what Biden does at this point, I will keep my monthly donation to Bernie until he drops out but I will only be doing work for downballot races in Texas.

A serious question for you that I do not know the answer to: How involved are you with local left/Democratic politics where you live and how long have you been doing it?

Nancy Pelosi supports all incumbent Democrats as a matter of policy. She makes no secret that she will not support a challenger.

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I know this may be difficult for some whites in Texas cities to understand, but Hispanics in this state are pretty damn conservative overall.

Yeah, I know, which is why I support the progressive ones. :)

As for me, I’ve been donating money, writing letters and putting up signs for the dems since 2011. Learning that the Iraq war was a complete sham and then the financial meltdown was the turning point for me so I voted for Obama. Trump just made it where I won’t support a Republican ever again until I’m dead and buried and they then steal my vote. 

That's awesome. I hope this continues.

Something I'd offer you is the idea that maybe you should listen more to progressives instead of trying to dictate to them. It's awesome that you've been on board for almost a decade now, but some of us have been at it a lot longer and maybe we have insights and values to offer that are just as valuable as yours.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Nancy Pelosi supports all incumbent Democrats as a matter of policy. She makes no secret that she will not support a challenger.

Right, which is why "just do whatever the establishment powers want you to do" is not advice progressives should necessarily heed.

I wonder if Biden should even bother to debate Trump?  All Trump will do is lie, what's the upside for Joe other than to say Coronavirus over and over and over?

The thing Biden has that is going to make him win in a landslide is the right combination of decency and competence.  No amount of stimulus can reverse the mind numbing stupidity in which the Trump Administration mishandled the biggest health crisis of our time.  On the bright side, I guess we should be happy that Trump wasn't on watch during Ebola.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yeah, I know, which is why I support the progressive ones. :)

That's awesome. I hope this continues.

Something I'd offer you is the idea that maybe you should listen more to progressives instead of trying to dictate to them. It's awesome that you've been on board for almost a decade now, but some of us have been at it a lot longer and maybe we have insights and values to offer that are just as valuable as yours.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Right, which is why "just do whatever the establishment powers want you to do" is not advice progressives should necessarily heed.

Sure thing but I don’t dictate to anyone their political beliefs and am a pretty good listener. When it comes to this state though, I’m a realist who wants all the dems to win. It’s why I ultimately picked Biden over Bernie. My kids weren’t happy about it. 

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Sure thing but I don’t dictate to anyone their political beliefs and am a pretty good listener. When it comes to this state though, I’m a realist who wants all the dems to win. It’s why I ultimately picked Biden over Bernie. My kids weren’t happy about it. 

I feel the same way but I voted for Warren despite disagreeing with her on trade. Happy to vote for Biden now, though, and he's much better for the downballot slate here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I feel the same way but I voted for Warren despite disagreeing with her on trade. Happy to vote for Biden now, though, and he's much better for the downballot slate here. 

I was a actually a little floored talking to political people in this state after the primary who know what they are talking about how much better Biden as the nominee was for Texas dems than Bernie. 

These are pretty liberal guys who while they may support liberal Bernie positions, both know and understand how this state works. And it’s their job to know.  

Texas is so conservative that most people everywhere think Austin is liberal. It’s not. It’s liberal for Texas (and crazy-right Alex?). In reality it’s right down the middle of the political spectrum. 

I am a huge Bernie supporter and it's been a crushing week or so watching him get obliterated in the primary. That being said, I will absolutely be voting for Biden in the general (still voting Bernie in the WI primary) and hoping he wins. Then I'll be out with my pitchfork, demanding healthcare everyone in our country and real action to save our burning planet.

I hate that a mush-brained old white man who barely recognizes climate change is the nominee, but there's a lot more at stake. If the left holds him accountable and stays loud and organized, I hope we can actually enact meaningful change to what's going on in our broken country.

I know, I'm an idiot.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't know who you're talking about, but people who get paid to advise aren't necessarily the people who are vested in giving a dispassionate and wide-ranging view of what is possible.

Fair enough and since I’m not in their brains nor an expert I can’t refute. But at least in Texas it rings true, at least in my gut. And this is from people who have vested interests to have dems win. Nationwide, as opposed to Texas,  I think Bernie v. Biden versus trump was a closer call. But we’ll never know for sure. 

9 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I know I’ll regret this but here goes anyway.

If you’re really a left progressive Texan then you should be absolutely ecstatic that Biden beat Bernie and jumping for joy.

This is because with Biden on the ticket instead of Bernie, the dems have a pretty decent shot at taking back the Texas House and therefore gaining a seat at the table during the all important redistricting process coming up. If Bernie was the nominee the dems have virtually no shot at the Texas house. I’m assuming it’s why beto weighed in for Biden. 

Other than trump losing, taking back the Texas house is the most important thing for me, followed by the dems taking back the US Senate which is possible. 

Not sure if it's going to work out that way. It all depends on the percentage of NeverTrumpers who have become Democrats as against the number who just hate Trump. The percentage of Bernie voters who would vote for the GOP downballot is zero. 

9 hours ago, horn4life said:

I wonder if Biden should even bother to debate Trump?  All Trump will do is lie, what's the upside for Joe other than to say Coronavirus over and over and over?

The thing Biden has that is going to make him win in a landslide is the right combination of decency and competence.  No amount of stimulus can reverse the mind numbing stupidity in which the Trump Administration mishandled the biggest health crisis of our time.  On the bright side, I guess we should be happy that Trump wasn't on watch during Ebola.

LOL

So all of you would vote Biden no matter what?

What if he said he would only appoint justices Republican leadership approved of?

What if he said all political appointments would go through an equally-weighted bipartisan committee?

Yes and yes, I am sure. Which isn't hard to believe given how many W voters I'm taking to.

Given how Bill Kristol and Jennifer Rubin and David Frum and Ana Navarro and all the other neo-con hacks have been Never-Trump-Pumping Joe for months now it must feel like a reunion of Iraq-War-supporting friends. Warm feelings and fond memories of smugly dismissing activists trying to warn you.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What if he said he would only appoint justices Republican leadership approved of?

What if he said all political appointments would go through an equally-weighted bipartisan committee?

Yes and yes, I am sure. Which isn't hard to believe given how many W voters I'm taking to.

Given how Bill Kristol and Jennifer Rubin and David Frum and Ana Navarro and all the other neo-con hacks have been Never-Trump-Pumping Joe for months now it must feel like a reunion of Iraq-War-supporting friends. Warm feelings and fond memories of smugly dismissing activists trying to warn you.

Ok you’ve convinced me. I’m renouncing my membership in the surly liberal cabal and pulling the lever for trump this fall. 

9 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

a) kind of a non-issue since he has to get justice approval by the <checks notes> Republican senate.  Now, if the senate flips, your what-if is closer to stupid, depending on how cloture, etc. plays out.

b) why would he say this?

What if Bernie Sanders said "I am going to smear shit on the Capitol steps every day".  Would you still vote for him?

Man, your mind is broken.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

a) kind of a non-issue since he has to get justice approval by the <checks notes> Republican senate.  Now, if the senate flips, your what-if is closer to stupid, depending on how cloture, etc. plays out.

b) why would he say this?

I thought the idea of vetoing progressive legislation passed through Congress was stupid, then Joe opened his mouth and here we are.

What if Bernie Sanders said "I am going to smear shit on the Capitol steps every day".  Would you still vote for him?

Why would I care if he smeared shit on the Capitol steps every day? Sounds awesome.

9 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

If you have the choice between chemo and death, what do you do?

8 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The Biden campaign's voter outreach towards a group that doesn't like him is sublime.

Joe Biden is paying this man money to represent his campaign and he's shaming teenagers on social media.

Fantastic campaign. Being run so well. :)

This girl has a lot to learn.  

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Well, this I like!

The America saves the Pod or whatever that f'd up name went all in for Beto. But lately have said the beto campaign was a mess.. They  didn't explain, but maybe it's something personal between them and Beto as a candidate rather than his campaign staff. 

3 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Bernie is losing to him. Badly.  Maybe figure out a message that resonates with more than 20% of the party you aren’t a part of, but want to be at the top of their ticket.  

So - what do we have  - two years(?)  - to find a message that resonates?

Yes, Joe Biden is winning and is almost certainly going to win the Democratic primary. That's true. Congrats, Ted.

It doesn't change this simple reality: He is not mentally fit to do this job and the bar we have set for him is so low as to become tragically comedic. His speech last night was hailed as awe-inspiringly presidential and it was as wobbly as drunken slack-liner.

Yes, Bernie is going to lose and Biden is going to win. I know that.

But this is not good and everyone who lives in a state that can still vote should not vote for this sundowning man.

• Fuck You 1

Speaking of MAGA.  That’s Bernie and his sore loser 20%.  We have lost on the issues, so let’s say Joe has dementia!   Never mind Bernie had a heart attack and won’t release his medical records!   It’s like the Trumpkins posting non stop memes of Hillary coughing.  Idiots. 

• Like 5

On 3/12/2020 at 9:04 AM, bad_teammate said:

The Biden campaign's voter outreach towards a group that doesn't like him is sublime.

Joe Biden is paying this man money to represent his campaign and he's shaming teenagers on social media.

Fantastic campaign. Being run so well. :)

Shaming? If she is proud and positive that what she is doing is right how is that shameful? It is only shameful if you know that position is stupid AF.

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden