Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

31 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

A hurt feelings troll who voted for Bernie Sanders, unlike the millions of Americans age 18-25 who, despite being super pumped for Bernie, did not.

Youth vote has been up overall.

If they aren't motivated enough to get out and vote for Bernie Sanders, what can Joe Biden do to convince them to show up in the fall? 

As the actual numbers show us, they are getting up and voting by the millions.  Not enough to propel Sanders to victory, but they aren't a statistically insignificant population.

1 minute ago, JustBecause said:

Get ready for the “Draft Andrew Cuomo” bandwagon to start gaining steam.  Just by seeing what anvil Joe is doing in controlled settings, imagine him live on a stage with Trump or even with journalists.  He’s a placeholder and nothing else.  

I don't know who Cuomo excites that isn't already a lock for Joe.

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Youth vote has been up overall.

As the actual numbers show us, they are getting up and voting by the millions.  Not enough to propel Sanders to victory, but they aren't a statistically insignificant population.

I don't know who Cuomo excites that isn't already a lock for Joe.

That’s not the point.  The Dem establishment knows that Joe will massively fail on live tv.  They need someone safe not a grenade with hair plugs and the pin is pulled.  

Edited by JustBecause

1 minute ago, JustBecause said:

That’s not the point.  The Dem establishment knows that Joe will massively fail on live tv.  They need someone safe not a grenade with hair plugs and the pin is pulled.  

They'll never pull the rug out from under Joe. If they were going to do that they wouldn't have united behind him so forcefully after South Carolina. They're all-in.

The Cuomo talk is just the same nervous liberals who tried to boost Pete and Liz.

42 minutes ago, JustBecause said:

Get ready for the “Draft Andrew Cuomo” bandwagon to start gaining steam.  Just by seeing what anvil Joe is doing in controlled settings, imagine him live on a stage with Trump or even with journalists.  He’s a placeholder and nothing else.  

pay attention, bt, this is what an actual troll looks like.

• Like 1

Ha!  Tell me how JB is doing in the limited time he is interacting with the media.  

He’s doing... fine? Can’t believe folks are still falling for this. We see twitter post after post from Trumpkins/Bernie Bros with selective moments that make him look bad and then the narrative forms that Biden is about to stroke out on national TV. Then everyone tunes into the next debate/town hall/whatever expecting a re-enactment of the Steve Carell gibberish scene from Bruce Almighty and are treated to a slightly mush-mouthed old man who appears genuine and communicates effectively 95% of the time.

He’s not a good speaker currently, but this lowering of the bar is only helping him.
  • Like 3

Chuckie speaking truth.

There's nothing really that matters in terms of mass media/mass culture now that the narrative has coalesced around Joe.

I don't think the bar is lowering, though, I think the idea of the bar has always been an illusion and Trump shattered that illusion.

I maaay still be nursing some sour grapes over Warren, but tbh after this pandemic of pandemic proportions with pandemic failure of leadership, Joe Biden could be wearing aviator glasses, a white t shirt, blue jeans and a leather jacket while jumping over a shark on a surfboard and shouting "AAAAAY" and I would vote for him in November.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Of course. The only thing separating Joe from my vote is him saying that he would veto progressive legislation. All he has to do is say he won't do that and I'll slam the Biden button in the voting booth in November.

Am disturbed that he's probably a rapist? Sure, as long as you can give me some level of plausible deniability I'm going to vote for him anyway.
Worried that he's mentally degrading? Just give me a few cogent performances and have Trump talk on TV a few times.
Knowing full god damned well he will sell everything there is to corporate interests? Fine, I'm used to it.
Will certainly maintain or accelerate both the eternal wars abroad and internal wars against crime and drugs? Fuck it, there's nothing new here.

We're the easy marks.

CNBC (noted Bernie Bro leftist outlet): Biden suggests he would veto ‘Medicare for All’ over its price tag

----------------------------------------------------------------
Nancy Pelosi gets a version of it through the House of Representatives. It comes to your desk. Do you veto it?” MSNBC host Lawrence O’Donnell asked Biden during an interview Monday night.

“I would veto anything that delays providing the security and the certainty of health care being available now,” Biden responded. “If they got that through in by some miracle or there’s an epiphany that occurred and some miracle occurred that said, ‘OK, it’s passed,’ then you got to look at the cost.”

Biden added: “I want to know, how did they find $35 trillion? What is that doing? Is it going to significantly raise taxes on the middle class, which it will? What’s going to happen?”

What do you think Biden meant, Hank?

14 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I have zero enthusiasm in voting for Joe Biden in November. If he is the nominee he'll get my vote. 

I am 1000 percent enthusiastic about casting a vote against the idiot currently residing in the White House. 

Hillary tried that strategy and lost. Biden’s now going to try it without a super high number of people (especially in the rust belt) that actively loathe him. Will this be enough?  My guess is... yes, since Trump is going to be presiding over a smoking ruin of an economy (that I don’t think it’s reasonable to blame him for- it’s the virus) and this was his only positive since he is personally a scum bag. 

All that being said- it might not be a bad idea for Biden to come up with a couple generic and boring things he’d like to see done if he wins, put a positive bow on that, and say he’s for something instead of being merely against Trump. I can’t imagine that actually hurting his campaign. 

This is/should be a layup, I can’t imagine Dems don’t win this in a walk and take the Senate too. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Hillary tried that strategy and lost. Biden’s now going to try it without a super high number of people (especially in the rust belt) that actively loathe him. Will this be enough?  My guess is... yes, since Trump is going to be presiding over a smoking ruin of an economy (that I don’t think it’s reasonable to blame him for- it’s the virus) and this was his only positive since he is personally a scum bag. 

All that being said- it might not be a bad idea for Biden to come up with a couple generic and boring things he’d like to see done if he wins, put a positive bow on that, and say he’s for something instead of being merely against Trump. I can’t imagine that actually hurting his campaign. 

This is/should be a layup, I can’t imagine Dems don’t win this in a walk and take the Senate too. 

Ah! Well. Nevertheless

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Ah! Well. Nevertheless

I have zero idea what this means. I have an extensively long history over 3 websites of talking race strategy and projections with zero regard to rooting interests or policy. I’m interested in the mechanics of a race as a thought experiment- which is 100% what my post was. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I have zero idea what this means. I have an extensively long history over 3 websites of talking race strategy and projections with zero regard to rooting interests or policy. I’m interested in the mechanics of a race as a thought experiment- which is 100% what my post was. 

2bc.jpg

This is what was being referenced

• Like 1

Trump's policies were going to do the economy in anyway.  The indicators were there predicting a recession in 20 or 21.  The CV just accelerated the timeline.  Maybe that's not a bad thing for Trump.  As you stated the virus could be scapegoated for something coming anyway.    The non-viral recession might not have been as bad as what could still happen, but the survival packages coming out of DC are going to hang on as debt for generations to come.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pyrohornIII said:

Trump's policies were going to do the economy in anyway.  The indicators were there predicting a recession in 20 or 21.  The CV just accelerated the timeline.  Maybe that's not a bad thing for Trump.  As you stated the virus could be scapegoated for something coming anyway.    The non-viral recession might not have been as bad as what could still happen, but the survival packages coming out of DC are going to hang on as debt for generations to come.   

Yep. Actually might work in the Dem's favor.  Based on the inversion of the yield curve + 18 months theory we were due to hit a recession just after the election.   Dems could have been walking into a buzz saw.

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

the gop/fox news spent the better part of a decade building up hate/mistrust of hillary clinton.  a ton of dems (myself included) fucking hated hillary.  by the home stretch, with her emails, and comey, and all the other nonsense (to say nothing of the fact that trump wasn't a historically bad president yet), her disapproval numbers were in the 50's, just like trump's.  and she still almost won.

for all the "but hunter biden" crap we're sure to hear over the next 7 months, it won't be the same.  even the leftists who think biden is a bad candidate and would be an ineffective president don't have some deep-rooted hatred for him.  most people generally think he's a good guy, though clearly past his political prime.

i agree with your assessment, i'm just adding on.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

the gop/fox news spent the better part of a decade building up hate/mistrust of hillary clinton.  a ton of dems (myself included) fucking hated hillary.  by the home stretch, with her emails, and comey, and all the other nonsense (to say nothing of the fact that trump wasn't a historically bad president yet), her disapproval numbers were in the 50's, just like trump's.  and she still almost won.

for all the "but hunter biden" crap we're sure to hear over the next 7 months, it won't be the same.  even the leftists who think biden is a bad candidate and would be an ineffective president don't have some deep-rooted hatred for him.  most people generally think he's a good guy, though clearly past his political prime.

i agree with your assessment, i'm just adding on.

Hillary was a polarizing figure for sure, which is both good and bad.  While many of us hated on her, she also had a lot of loyal support and was running to be the first woman President.

The problem with Joe is that he's boring.  Which in terms of governance is probably a good thing, but it's not great for getting people to the polls.  

The one thing we know for certain is that Trump's base will vote...well, those who are still alive, anyway.  The question is whether the hatred for Trump drives enough people to pull the lever for Biden.  

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Hillary was a polarizing figure for sure, which is both good and bad.  While many of us hated on her, she also had a lot of loyal support and was running to be the first woman President.

imagine loving hillary.  then imagine how you felt when trump beat her.  are you really considering sitting this one out?

It was a unique race in that you had old established politician in Hillary, vs the brash outsider who was going to drain the swamp in Trump.  At that point a lot of voters saw no difference between R and D, they were all crooked, hence didn't really matter who you voted for.    

Trump has clearly shown he can't do much but rile up his base.  But he has also riled up many not in his base who were apathetic before he took office.  His taking office accelerated the exposure of the corrupt senate, like CV-19 is exposing his inept administration.    

Just looking for silver linings.

23 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Yep. Actually might work in the Dem's favor.  Based on the inversion of the yield curve + 18 months theory we were due to hit a recession just after the election.   Dems could have been walking into a buzz saw.

Sure. Recessions happen. Always will. We were probably due for a run of the mill one during the next term. But the numbers like consumer sentiment and employment were off the charts good before the CV. I think Trump could have lost, even in that environment, bc Trump, but now I believe he will lose. 

Joe beating Trump would be a pretty hilarious confirmation of the abject stupidity of the American voter. Not because Trump is better, but because Trump beat Clinton, a woman who is smarter, sharper, more aware, a more effective communicator than Joe, and not a rapist.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Joe beating Trump would be a pretty hilarious confirmation of the abject stupidity of the American voter. Not because Trump is better, but because Trump beat Clinton, a woman who is smarter, sharper, more aware, a more effective communicator than Joe, and not a rapist.

No it would demonstrate the abject stupidity of Hillary Clinton for ignoring key Midwest swing states and getting her ass beat there. 

(Beware of polls bearing gifts)

We, undoubtedly, had an asset bubble that was due to pop before CV-19.The problem is - and will continue to be - the fact that the stock market is not the real economy. When companies are spending billions to repurchase their own stock in order to keep stock prices high - we have an economic problem. When wages continue to be flat while the gilded pucker up over whether their portfolio is returning better than 10%, we have a disconnect and an economic problem. When the US begins to resemble a third-world nation more than the economic dynamo of the mid to late 20th century, economic issues are coming to a head.

Spending trillions (Fed Reserve) to prop up the stock market and financial sector when programs like M4A and the GND were "too expensive" just weeks ago is a massive admission that we could afford those programs - which would have benefitted us all - as we just bailed out the wealthy and powerful - again. 

So - what is the poison for the 80% of Main Street - more of the same economic platitudes that got us into the mess or change?

2020 remains a change election. Who captures the change message will win.

At this point, Trump has the enthusiasm (beware: based on polling). His fucking approval rating is rising (beware: based on polling).  

He is going to say he saved 2 million lives by cutting through the bureaucracy in DC. The same bureaucracy Biden "wants to put back in charge." He will say the faltering economy was set up by Biden, Obama and Clinton and he is having to rebuild it to keep the money away from the insiders who ran this country.  

Is it bullshit - sure - but Trump is a bullshit artist and Americans eat it up - to see those "librul tears" flowing - the greatest motivating factor for most Trump voters in my experience.

Biden needs to come out with an epiphany. He needs to proclaim he will not be range bound by the advances of Obama and will actually support greater progress in this economy. Call it Bernie-esque or whatever you will.

More of the same from the Dems does not beat the Trump voters' lust for librul tears in this election. Biden needs to become a lot more bold. 

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

CNBC (noted Bernie Bro leftist outlet): Biden suggests he would veto ‘Medicare for All’ over its price tag

Nancy Pelosi gets a version of it through the House of Representatives. It comes to your desk. Do you veto it?” MSNBC host Lawrence O’Donnell asked Biden during an interview Monday night.

“I would veto anything that delays providing the security and the certainty of health care being available now,” Biden responded. “If they got that through in by some miracle or there’s an epiphany that occurred and some miracle occurred that said, ‘OK, it’s passed,’ then you got to look at the cost.”

Biden added: “I want to know, how did they find $35 trillion? What is that doing? Is it going to significantly raise taxes on the middle class, which it will? What’s going to happen?”

What do you think Biden meant, Hank?

It's a bad, confusing answer where he asks what the theoretical M4A bill would cost. That's it. There's nothing more to it than that. 

He didn't offer up out of the blue that he would veto M4A. He was asked a question and gave a subpar response. But go ahead and disingenuously keep this in your back pocket as a reason you might not vote for Biden. 

The problem with Joe is that he's boring.  Which in terms of governance is probably a good thing, but it's not great for getting people to the polls.  
The one thing we know for certain is that Trump's base will vote...well, those who are still alive, anyway.  The question is whether the hatred for Trump drives enough people to pull the lever for Biden.  

Hatred is a much stronger emotion than love.

Voters may not “love” Joe but a whole shitton of them HATE Trump.

That hate will bring a lot of folks out to cast a vote to tell Trump to GTFO despite Joe being “boring”.

Voters are craving a boring and normal president.

In polls the number one issue for Democrats polled is beating Trump.

That’s where the enthusiasm and motivation is. Love for Uncle Joe ain’t got nothing to do with it.
  • Like 1

And the flip side of what[mention]washparkhorn [/mention] posted is true.

Biden is a boring and seen as a return to “normalcy” and Americans are dying to eat that up. After three years of Trumpkins crowing about those "librul tears" flowing, the rest of us are wanting a little revenge - one of the greatest motivating factors for a ton of Democrats and Never Trump voters in my experience is payback.

I want Trumpkin tears.

18 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It's a bad, confusing answer where he asks what the theoretical M4A bill would cost. That's it. There's nothing more to it than that. 

He didn't offer up out of the blue that he would veto M4A. He was asked a question and gave a subpar response. But go ahead and disingenuously keep this in your back pocket as a reason you might not vote for Biden. 

It's unsurprising that you have to personalize it and frame it as yet another fight with me instead of just looking at his words, but try.

When he says, "Which it will", what do you think his conclusion is?

M4A passes through the House and Senate and it is funded by replacing premiums/co-pays/etc with a tax on households. Taxes go up. That's on President Biden's desk. What does he do with that bill?

Try to think like an honest person who isn't just being mad at a guy you don't like on the Internet.

I know it stooping to their level doesn't fix the reason that we have Trump as president in the first place. Corruption of our political system and the more exposed plan of the 1% to create an oligarchic/ kleptocratic system. They are fucking winning and electing Joe Biden doesn't really fix that at all. But, I confess to wanting Trump gone so badly that I don't care about that as much as getting rid of him and watching the GOP burn to the ground when they lose the Senate too. Fuck them all so hard.

• Like 2

Just now, burntorangebongos said:

I know it stooping to their level doesn't fix the reason that we have Trump as president in the first place. Corruption of our political system and the more exposed plan of the 1% to create an oligarchic/ kleptocratic system. They are fucking winning and electing Joe Biden doesn't really fix that at all. But, I confess to wanting Trump gone so badly that I don't care about that as much as getting rid of him and watching the GOP burn to the ground when they lose the Senate too. Fuck them all so hard.

You're at least aware of becoming the thing you hate, which is actually a good thing and I don't mean that sarcastically.

I'm happy with self-aware nihilists. I can't fucking stand nihilists who pretend they're better than anyone else (which is most liberals at this point).

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's unsurprising that you have to personalize it and frame it as yet another fight with me instead of just looking at his words, but try.

When he says, "Which it will", what do you think his conclusion is?

M4A passes through the House and Senate and it is funded by replacing premiums/co-pays/etc with a tax on households. Taxes go up. That's on President Biden's desk. What does he do with that bill?

Try to think like an honest person who isn't just being mad at a guy you don't like on the Internet.

You think I'm mad at you? You sure love make the worse assumptions about anyone that is not a diehard Berner. 

5 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

That's good. You keep being holier than thou and screaming your "bible versus" like that preacher on the drag that everyone kept on moving past. Maybe your words have a good message but your off putting delivery makes them irrelevant. Keep doing you tho, bro. 

Bible vs what?

27 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

You think I'm mad at you? You sure love make the worse assumptions about anyone that is not a diehard Berner. 

Mad, obsessed, petty, offended, whatever the adjective is that fits people who take something that doesn't involve a personal argument and make it about a personal argument.

Can you address the relevant, on-topic question about Joe Biden's position on veto and M4A?

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Mad, obsessed, petty, offended, whatever the adjective is that fits people who take something that doesn't involve a personal argument and make it about a personal argument.

Can you address the relevant, on-topic question about Joe Biden's position on veto and M4A?

If funding is already outlined and approved by both Houses, I think Biden would sign it. 

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden