Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

Biden would not be the apparent nominee if he was in favor of M4A. That is why he is the apparent nominee. That is what the centrists/never trumped Repubs/estab wanted in the Dem nominee. 

Entrenched interests are entrenched. 

Has he evolved?  Haven't seen it yet. Still too expensive (costs moneyed interests profit stream).

America is in the business of business. 

But he can evolve. He should, but they are looking at options of whether he might squeak by if he stays the course (no M4A). Dumb in my opinion, but the stakes aren't quite as high for centrists/nevertrumper repubs/estab strategists.  Being anti trump with reelection provides job security for some talking heads. 

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

How is it possible b_t is still beating to death the same point?

Because some still doubt the credibility of the point?  Just a guess.

We as Democrats know we have an enthusiasm gap. We bridge it - we win. We don't - well, it's a coin toss right now. 

This is the perfect opportunity for Biden to evolve and bridge the gap. If he doesn't, then we know his campaign is running on a "squeaking by" strategy. That's reckless in my opinion, but the Centrists tell me "all is fine."

Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

Maybe your words have a good message but your off putting delivery makes them irrelevant.

the progressive left's delivery is pretty much the worst.  it's snide and smug and is too cute by about half.  fun fact, people don't like being lectured and shamed.

case in point:

would it kill sirota to say "listen people, this right here is the problem.  under a bernie administration, insurance companies would not have this power, blah blah whatever."

but it's never like that.  it's always like this tweet.  it's always, "if only there was someone on the ballot (wink wink, nudge nudge) but oh well, i guess dems are content killing 400,000 people a year like always."

plenty of people like the message and most everyone likes the man.  but a lot of the messengers suck, and make the whole thing quite the turn-off. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

How is it possible b_t is still beating to death the same point?

Why do you even talk about politics? Honestly, what is it you're looking for in a political discussion forum if discussion of policy and leadership is anathema to you? Is it about just forming teams online and getting mad at personalities?

34 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the progressive left's delivery is pretty much the worst.  it's snide and smug and is too cute by about half.  fun fact, people don't like being lectured and shamed.

Irony is fun for everyone.

The left is no different than the center or right when it comes to the lecturing scolding and smugness of its advocates. This thread is not full of sober, open-hearted, magnanimous non-leftists trying to persuade others to vote for their preferred candidate, it's a bunch of sniping whiners who play the man instead of the ball.

Apologies to biff for talking about policy, but this answer from Biden is fucking stupid.

One reason rural hospitals need bailing out is that their patients are too poor to have insurance and often live in states where Medicaid expansion was blocked. Single payer would solve that aspect of the problem immediately.

There's also the matter of Joe's brother's investments in rural healthcare networks, where private equity results in closures and consolidation for profit motives.

Joe's inability to actually answer questions matters because he's not a brilliant policy mind trapped behind a failing mouth. He's a failing policy mind with a failed mouth.

Lives are in the balance.

Tucker is insisting Biden won't even be the nominee. Which is interesting.
Think he has always suggested that Hildog (or someone not even running this go around) will come out of a "brokered" convention, but that is just to play up narrative about how fractured dems are.

5 minutes ago, woohorn said:
20 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:
Tucker is insisting Biden won't even be the nominee. Which is interesting.

Think he has always suggested that Hildog (or someone not even running this go around) will come out of a "brokered" convention, but that is just to play up narrative about how fractured dems are.

Your point is absolutely fair. It was a clickbait headline, so to speak. However, I do wonder, as most of us do, about the behind the scenes issues. He's being managed by people who know he's got a medical issue. What he's putting out is his "best stuff". And he's having trouble even pretending. I don't know what the reality is. But I frankly think he's done. Mentally, he's just not there. 

Doesn't mean I know shit about what the election result will be. Trump is toxic as fuck. But I mean damn, the dude's got dementia. You really want to run him as your presidential candidate?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

It's unsurprising that you have to personalize it and frame it as yet another fight with me instead of just looking at his words, but try.

When he says, "Which it will", what do you think his conclusion is?

M4A passes through the House and Senate and it is funded by replacing premiums/co-pays/etc with a tax on households. Taxes go up. That's on President Biden's desk. What does he do with that bill?

Try to think like an honest person who isn't just being mad at a guy you don't like on the Internet.

He'll sign it.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

There's a pretty wide gulf between "not being a champion of an issue" and "someone who will veto that issue even if the rest of the party pushes it forward".

I think it's kind of silly to think that SC voters were all hinging on his M4A veto stance.

What’s silly is to think that Biden would veto a M4A bill passed by a democratic congress

17 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Your point is absolutely fair. It was a clickbait headline, so to speak. However, I do wonder, as most of us do, about the behind the scenes issues. He's being managed by people who know he's got a medical issue. What he's putting out is his "best stuff". And he's having trouble even pretending. I don't know what the reality is. But I frankly think he's done. Mentally, he's just not there. 

Doesn't mean I know shit about what the election result will be. Trump is toxic as fuck. But I mean damn, the dude's got dementia. You really want to run him as your presidential candidate?

You're running Donald Trump, so it really doesn't matter. He's more addled than Joe Biden will ever be.

Also, he's going to have Barack Obama campaigning for him. The election is going to be Obama v. Trump.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Why is that silly?

What is it I'm supposed to assume about Joe Biden that contravenes his own words?

How old are you? I was under the impression that you were somewhat older.

Well anyway let me tell you something that may come as a shock. 

Sometimes politicians say things to get elected that they may or may not really mean or may or may not really do when the nut cutting time comes.

OMG!!!!!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Sometimes politicians say things to get elected that they may or may not really mean or may or may not really do when the nut cutting time comes.

Do you think there is a significant chunk of voters in America that would abandon Joe Biden for Bernie Sanders if Joe said he wouldn't veto M4A?

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You're running Donald Trump, so it really doesn't matter. He's more addled than Joe Biden will ever be.

Also, he's going to have Barack Obama campaigning for him. The election is going to be Obama v. Trump.

The election is so over Trump won’t even have the chance to steal it anymore, not that his incompetent team of boobs would have done so anyway sans Manafort. 

It won’t be Reagan/Mondale because Trumpkin idiots but it won’t be close. 

joe biden is senile, confused, dishonest, contradicts himself, he has no idea where he is or what he's saying.  and i'm not going to vote for him because he was crystal clear in his intention to veto a make-believe bill and i'm going to take him at his word.

i love this place.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Do you think there is a significant chunk of voters in America that would abandon Joe Biden for Bernie Sanders if Joe said he wouldn't veto M4A?

I don’t know, don’t care and it doesn’t matter. Unless Joe dies of the Corona he will be the next president.

A make-believe bill

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

I don’t know, don’t care and it doesn’t matter. Unless Joe dies of the Corona he will be the next president.

OK so you don't actually know you're just saying it with confidence because... why?

I'm not feeling a lot of confidence from you guys. It's like you're trying to bully your way into believing something you don't actually believe.

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

He doesn't need to say it. He would never veto a Medicare for All bill that made it to his desk. Doing so would be the dumbest political move in the history of the United States.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

A make-believe bill

OK so you don't actually know you're just saying it with confidence because... why?

I'm not feeling a lot of confidence from you guys. It's like you're trying to bully your way into believing something you don't actually believe.

Well I am an internet bully. At least some of the trolls say so.  I hone my skills on this board. You are my prey. HAHAHAHA (evil laugh).

Just now, David Dennison said:

He doesn't need to say it. He would never veto a Medicare for All bill that made it to his desk. Doing so would be the dumbest political move in the history of the United States.

And the histories of the US President as an office and Joe Biden as a politician/candidate should make me think an extremely stupid move is off the table?

I get that it would be really bad. Turns out, Joe Biden is really bad. He's dumb, he's captured by capital interests, he's vain, he's capricious.

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Well I am an internet bully. At least some of the trolls say so.  I hone my skills on this board. You are my prey. HAHAHAHA (evil laugh).

Well I did say "trying", not that you're good at it. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I get that it would be really bad. Turns out, Joe Biden is really bad. He's dumb, he's captured by capital interests, he's vain, he's capricious.

For better or worse, Biden seem pretty malleable to me. He jumped on board with some terrible Democratic policies/opinions in the 80s and 90s, but now we seem doing things like co-opting Warren's bankruptcy proposal. He's a team player that follows what is popular within the party. He can be pushed left, as we've already seen with his policy platform. Obviously it's nowhere close to Bernie or even other D candidates, but it's more progressive than what Obama was running on from what I recall. 

27 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

For better or worse, Biden seem pretty malleable to me. He jumped on board with some terrible Democratic policies/opinions in the 80s and 90s, but now we seem doing things like co-opting Warren's bankruptcy proposal. He's a team player that follows what is popular within the party. He can be pushed left, as we've already seen with his policy platform. Obviously it's nowhere close to Bernie or even other D candidates, but it's more progressive than what Obama was running on from what I recall. 

#butthevetointerview

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

The election is so over Trump won’t even have the chance to steal it anymore, not that his incompetent team of boobs would have done so anyway sans Manafort. 

It won’t be Reagan/Mondale because Trumpkin idiots but it won’t be close. 

How are all of you so sure of this? He is getting close to 60% approval of his handling of COVID and his overall approval/disapproval gap is rapidly shrinking.

He's going to win again. 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

For better or worse, Biden seem pretty malleable to me. He jumped on board with some terrible Democratic policies/opinions in the 80s and 90s, but now we seem doing things like co-opting Warren's bankruptcy proposal.

He didn't jump on board with this stuff out of a go-along mentality, he spearheaded it. He worked hand-in-glove with Republicans from the very beginning of his political career. He was a conservative, corporatist Democrat for decades. He celebrated it and made it his identity.

He's making it his identity now talking about how he might choose a Republican VP and that Republicans are going to have a change of heart and he's going to "get things done" with them.

ESosy4sUEAEuK0k.jpeg?1583772253

What you're talking about in your post is a vision of what you want Joe Biden to be. It's not based on his actual decades as a representative. At least with candidates like '08 Obama and '20 Buttigieg we could kind of fill an empty vessel with our own wishes. You're trying to fill an already-full vessel because you don't want to talk about what's already in there.

He's a team player that follows what is popular within the party.

This is the opposite of Joe Biden. You're just wishcasting.

His entire shtick is being the guy who makes the hard cooperation choices with Republicans to get things done even if the left-wing of the party doesn't like it. War on drugs, war on crime, busing, bankruptcy, corporate oversight, cutting Social Security, cutting Medicaid, cutting Medicare. None of those things were more Democratic than Republican issues.

He thinks he's the smartest, most capable, and most experienced person in every room he's in. He's always been like that.

He can be pushed left, as we've already seen with his policy platform. Obviously it's nowhere close to Bernie or even other D candidates, but it's more progressive than what Obama was running on from what I recall. 

Obama chose Biden because Biden was way more conservative. That's the whole reason he became VP.

His policy platform has some good stuff in it, but how much of that do you seriously think comes from Joe? How much does he actually know about, think about, and want to pursue? At any point have you watched Joe Biden and seen someone who is a master of his own policy ideas and someone who seems committed to them?

Edited by bad_teammate

45 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

How are all of you so sure of this? He is getting close to 60% approval of his handling of COVID and his overall approval/disapproval gap is rapidly shrinking.

He's going to win again. 

Everyone in my cul de sac hates Trump, dude. Joe's an automatic lock!!

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

He's going to win again. 

eh, the same polls that show trump creeping up also show him losing big to joe. 

I’m not interested in polls until we’re somewhat out of this. 

Yeah, I usually rail against the 2016 meme about polls being meaningless but we’re in completely unprecedented and uncharted territory right now.

Polls taken now while we’re only in Act One of this catastrophe don’t mean jack shit to me.

All presidents get a “Rally Around the Flag in a Crisis” bump - and then those numbers fall back to Earth.

He’ll, GWB got huge bumps during and in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 and Katrina. And then once the crisis settled down and the real story came out during the postmortem analysis and voters discovered the mismanagement and mistakes made, his poll numbers dropped faster than a streetwalker prepping for a quickie blow job.

And this so called “Trump Bump” is actually pathetically low compared to past presidents’ crisis bumps.

Trump has an immovable ceiling of good poll numbers and the fact that even in this unparalleled catastrophe he can’t get his approval numbers above that upper limit is actually excellent news from my perspective.

18 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Hillary tried that strategy and lost. Biden’s now going to try it without a super high number of people (especially in the rust belt) that actively loathe him. Will this be enough?  My guess is... yes, since Trump is going to be presiding over a smoking ruin of an economy (that I don’t think it’s reasonable to blame him for- it’s the virus) and this was his only positive since he is personally a scum bag. 

All that being said- it might not be a bad idea for Biden to come up with a couple generic and boring things he’d like to see done if he wins, put a positive bow on that, and say he’s for something instead of being merely against Trump. I can’t imagine that actually hurting his campaign. 

This is/should be a layup, I can’t imagine Dems don’t win this in a walk and take the Senate too. 

So is Joe gonna get up on stage and say look what I did during the coronavirus to help the country. See what I did to help us move thru this difficult time. He isn't gonna have much to debate Trump on after this passes (that people are gonna focus on at least).  People are only gonna care what is going be done going forward.  He'll have 2 things: the economy, and how the admin. handled the crisis.

Smoking ruin of an economy ?  Certainly could be if this thing goes into the Summer and Fall, but I'm going the optimistic route, and say people are gonna be so cabin fevered they're gonna go nuts when this does pass, and get out in public, and try to pick up their lives.  I don't see any drop in the Real estate market (yet), construction is still booming when it can get thru building inspections offices, and crews can work. The construction industry fuels so many related industries in the country, as it goes so goes the country (it's a storm barometer industry).

The Trump admin. could have done this better for damn sure, so could the rest of the western world. What did the democrats propose back in December that would have headed this off ?  Short of a total shut down of travel anywhere but to the grocery store not a damn thing was gonna stop this from exploding on our country, and the rest of the world.

32 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So is Joe gonna get up on stage and say look what I did during the coronavirus to help the country. See what I did to help us move thru this difficult time. He isn't gonna have much to debate Trump on after this passes (that people are gonna focus on at least).  People are only gonna care what is going be done going forward.  He'll have 2 things: the economy, and how the admin. handled the crisis.

Smoking ruin of an economy ?  Certainly could be if this thing goes into the Summer and Fall, but I'm going the optimistic route, and say people are gonna be so cabin fevered they're gonna go nuts when this does pass, and get out in public, and try to pick up their lives.  I don't see any drop in the Real estate market (yet), construction is still booming when it can get thru building inspections offices, and crews can work. The construction industry fuels so many related industries in the country, as it goes so goes the country (it's a storm barometer industry).

The Trump admin. could have done this better for damn sure, so could the rest of the western world. What did the democrats propose back in December that would have headed this off ?  Short of a total shut down of travel anywhere but to the grocery store not a damn thing was gonna stop this from exploding on our country, and the rest of the world.

Not to mention Biden's team showing pictures of kids in cages only to find out it was a picture of kids in cages while Biden was in charge.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, zork said:

Not to mention Biden's team showing pictures of kids in cages only to find out it was a picture of kids in cages while Biden was in charge.

Followed by screaming, " fuck you! , you lying pony face boy soldier dog!" at the moderator when questioned.

11 hours ago, BradInATX said:

He's going to win again. 

How the fuck did we get to a place where 60% approve of this absolute clown show? The regardedness of the US population these days is actually kind of starting to depress me. 

15 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

How the fuck did we get to a place where 60% approve of this absolute clown show? The regardedness of the US population these days is actually kind of starting to depress me. 

One aspect is a tendency to rally around the leader in a time of strife. Humans want to be led, by and large, and when stressed they'll have faith in the confident voice no matter what.

Another aspect is tribalism. Trump gets away with stuff because he makes everything personal and an "us v them" fight. Get people into a "that's a bad guy and we are good guys" mindset and their critical thinking disappears, and it takes a lot of self-awareness and discipline to not be baited into it.

When Yamiche Alcindor asked him about how governors are supposed to get what they need, he just attacked her personally to avoid dealing with the unflattering reality of his own words and positions.

Watch how Internet argumentation goes and you'll see it happening first-hand. Don't like where the ball is going? Tackle the man. Can't discuss the issue? Impugn the character or motives of who you're talking to. Can't answer the question? Say the question is irrelevant.

Trump is a god of posting.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

One aspect is a tendency to rally around the leader in a time of strife. Humans want to be led, by and large, and when stressed they'll have faith in the confident voice no matter what.

Another aspect is tribalism. Trump gets away with stuff because he makes everything personal and an "us v them" fight. Get people into a "that's a bad guy and we are good guys" mindset and their critical thinking disappears, and it takes a lot of self-awareness and discipline to not be baited into it.

When Yamiche Alcindor asked him about how governors are supposed to get what they need, he just attacked her personally to avoid dealing with the unflattering reality of his own words and positions.

Watch how Internet argumentation goes and you'll see it happening first-hand. Don't like where the ball is going? Tackle the man. Can't discuss the issue? Impugn the character or motives of who you're talking to. Can't answer the question? Say the question is irrelevant.

Trump is a god of posting.

You are quite right and I'm glad I do not have that tendency. What a bunch of mindless tools these people are. They are the same kind of people who shout down criticism of the head football coach and take it upon themselves to defend the coach on the all important anonymous message boards.

It's just hard for me to understand how this kind of person can't like and support their guy while also remaining capable of criticizing his objective failures. It's as if the cognitive dissonance that would result from thinking anything negative about their orange overlord terrifies them so much that they dont even let the thought arise. 

16 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes, the voting olds and the voting never Trumpers who have turned out for Joe with a pretty healthy percentage because they don't understand and fear M4A. 

This is what tanked Bernie. He couldn't explain how much money the plan needs. He couldn't win them over. So Joe says some shit to assuage them. But in truth, his administration would seek to block a Dem Congress from even getting it out of committee. IF they do get it to a vote, it will be because his administration will win concessions and will have their stamp on it. He will sign what he helps to create. 

1 minute ago, burntorangebongos said:

Yes, the voting olds and the voting never Trumpers who have turned out for Joe with a pretty healthy percentage because they don't understand and fear M4A. 

This is what tanked Bernie. He couldn't explain how much money the plan needs. He couldn't win them over. So Joe says some shit to assuage them. But in truth, his administration would seek to block a Dem Congress from even getting it out of committee. IF they do get it to a vote, it will be because his administration will win concessions and will have their stamp on it. He will sign what he helps to create. 

While I disagree with the idea that Biden voters actually care about policy, I 100% agree that Biden will move heaven and earth to kill single-payer healthcare in the crib.

They care very much and I suspect it is driven by the fear that they will fare much worse if it passes. And they may be right to some extent, especially initially. And if it isn't implemented well, the transition will be all the more painful. How many people trust our politicians to get it right? It is a valid fear that Sanders couldn't address. The voting numbers validate that fact, in my opinion.

• Like 1

just to address this, let's check out some polls and polling stories!

i googled "trump approval rating" and here's what i found:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/30/why-has-trumps-approval-rating-improvement-been-so-modest-partisanship-always/

the article (using a lot of charts and graphs, so it's a better click than cut and paste) cites gallup's high "approval of how he's handling the pandemic" number, but not really anywhere else.  then compares it to cuomo and others, when just discussing "overall approval rating".  it also looks at the party crossover numbers

After 9/11, Democrats’ approval of Bush surged by 53 points. In the past two months, Republicans’ approval of Cuomo has gone up 24 points. And since January, Gallup has recorded Trump’s approval among Democrats going up … three points. Or, as a pollster might say, not significantly at all.

It’s possible Trump’s approval rating will continue to increase as the pandemic continues. It’s also possible it will slip down to his mid-40s normal. (Bush’s sky-high approval after 9/11 faded quickly; by early 2002, he was back below 60 percent approval.)

538 still has him underwater on pretty much every poll (updated as recently as this morning):

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

and a few days ago, after a fox news poll that was...not great for trump:

in an article from yesterday, the hill has biden beating trump (and bernie beating trump).

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/490163-poll-biden-leads-trump-by-10-points-as-economic-pessimism-grows

trump's corona numbers are decent, his overall approval numbers are lower, and his numbers vs biden are even lower.  that tells me that people are willing to express empathy and "rally around the flag" for now, but means very little come november.

like i said, polling right now is tricky, but to me, not concerning.  give me a break with that 60% nonsense.

Former Vice President Joe Biden leads President Trump by 10 points nationally in a new poll, bolstered by an advantage with independents.

The poll also shows pessimism about the economy growing, a factor that could help Biden and hurt Trump in the poll.

The latest Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll finds Biden getting 55 percent support, versus 45 percent for Trump. Biden has 96 percent support from Democrats, while Trump has 89 percent support from Republicans. Independents break for Biden by a 54 to 46 percent margin.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who has yet to drop out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, also leads Trump, winning 53 percent to Trump’s 47 percent. However, Biden has a near-insurmountable lead in delegates over Sanders. Biden leads Sanders among Democrats nationally by 36 points, 58 to 31 percent.

The president’s job approval rating is at 48 percent positive and 52 percent negative, just off its all-time high of 49 percent positive.

The coronavirus is by far the biggest issue on the minds of voters, and 50 percent said they approve of Trump’s handling of the coronavirus.

• Like 3

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden