Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

According to exit polls, majorities in every state that has voted so far favored replacing private insurance with a government plan. Unless ALL of those exit polls are wrong, people are fine with single-payer and it's not a political liability.

Hundreds of thousands of primary voters who favor single-payer have voted for Joe Biden.

The data just doesn't support opposition to single-payer being a decisive boon to Biden's numbers. Him being Obama's VP is what matters. 

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So is Joe gonna get up on stage and say look what I did during the coronavirus to help the country. See what I did to help us move thru this difficult time. He isn't gonna have much to debate Trump on after this passes (that people are gonna focus on at least).  People are only gonna care what is going be done going forward.  He'll have 2 things: the economy, and how the admin. handled the crisis.

Smoking ruin of an economy ?  Certainly could be if this thing goes into the Summer and Fall, but I'm going the optimistic route, and say people are gonna be so cabin fevered they're gonna go nuts when this does pass, and get out in public, and try to pick up their lives.  I don't see any drop in the Real estate market (yet), construction is still booming when it can get thru building inspections offices, and crews can work. The construction industry fuels so many related industries in the country, as it goes so goes the country (it's a storm barometer industry).

The Trump admin. could have done this better for damn sure, so could the rest of the western world. What did the democrats propose back in December that would have headed this off ?  Short of a total shut down of travel anywhere but to the grocery store not a damn thing was gonna stop this from exploding on our country, and the rest of the world.

Testing could have slowed it down, a lot. And the richest country in the history of the world could have pulled that off with a competent president. But we will never know because Trump sat on his ass for three months and him and his right wing sycophants, such as yourself, called it a democratic hoax for three months and so here we are. 

Are you suggesting the dems should have passed an anti-coronavirus bill in the house back in December? Not only is that suggestion ridiculous, Moscow Mitch’s senate never would have taken it up because Trump and his sycophants were calling it a democratic hoax anyway. 

Stop thinking we are as stupid as you are or at least pretend to be. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Testing could have slowed it down, a lot. And the richest country in the history of the world could have pulled that off with a competent president. But we will never know because Trump sat on his ass for three months and him and his right wing sycophants, such as yourself, called it a democratic hoax for three months and so here we are. 

Are you suggesting the dems should have passed an anti-coronavirus bill in the house back in December? Not only is that suggestion ridiculous, Moscow Mitch’s senate never would have taken it up because Trump and his sycophants were calling it a democratic hoax anyway. 

Stop thinking we are as stupid as you are or at least pretend to be. 

Yep, one trick pony ^^. As usual.  

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I think "hey remember Obama?" carries more weight in the general than in this purity test of a primary, yes.

Joe Biden is winning because of his association with Obama. He is not winning because he passed a purity test that others failed.

This primary has not been a purity test in any sense. lol what?

On 3/30/2020 at 10:24 PM, henrygandorf said:

eh, the same polls that show trump creeping up also show him losing big to joe. 

I’m not interested in polls until we’re somewhat out of this. 

Polls did us no good last time. What’s to say they’ll work this time.

3 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Polls did us no good last time. What’s to say they’ll work this time.

some were more accurate than people like to remember, and there's always some wonkyness with the electoral college.  hillary still won the pop vote by 3mm, and the close states were close, like most polling suggested.

polling isn't everything, but i would rather they look good than look shitty, especially when it comes to swing states/counties/voters.

people affect polls, but polls also affect voting.  trump losing needs to feel inevitable, and people need to get excited about beating him, even if they're not excited about biden.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

He needs to be a lot better, because "Barack is my friend" matters a lot less in the general than the primary.

What a fucking bizarre takeaway from his answer.  It's almost as if b_t thinks It's Bernie or bust.

Jesus, dude.  Just fucking stop.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What a fucking bizarre takeaway from his answer.  It's almost as if b_t thinks It's Bernie or bust.

Jesus, dude.  Just fucking stop.

i love reading stuff like "biden is going to be destroyed in the general" and then mentally predicting what that person's twitter page looks like.

i've gotten really good at it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

>90% chance their username has a rose emoji in it.

btw, a little cross-posting, but same general topic.  on the trump thread (i think) someone linked a nytimes article yesterday showing all these stories of "dems" or "independents" who are all probably voting for trump because of the way he's handled the pandemic.

out of quarantine-induced boredom, i googled the name and location of one of them, and ended up on his facebook page.  he apparently caucused for klobuchar, but it took me about 3 scrolls to find the words "hunter biden" on his facebook page.

facebook is the worst.  and so are people.

26 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

i understand what you're saying, and i am guilty on occasion, but creeping on facebook after reading the nytimes was actually for the opposite reason.

the article would have people believe that a bunch of dems/indies were truly undecided and actually moved by the president's leadership and now we're leaning trump.  if i had gone on facebook to find this true, then yes, it would've pissed me off.  but my suspicions were 100% confirmed when i did a slight bit of snooping.  once i found the guy to be rightward-leaning, i actually felt much better about things.  confirmation bias and so forth.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

some were more accurate than people like to remember, and there's always some wonkyness with the electoral college.  hillary still won the pop vote by 3mm, and the close states were close, like most polling suggested.

polling isn't everything, but i would rather they look good than look shitty, especially when it comes to swing states/counties/voters.

people affect polls, but polls also affect voting.  trump losing needs to feel inevitable, and people need to get excited about beating him, even if they're not excited about biden.

Inevitability was the big issue last time, outside of campaigning choices. But those can be written off as playing the inevitability game as well, they thought there’s no way they lose minnesota or PA, and tried to go after red/purple states like Arizona. 

Biden should enlist people ready to embrace these values:

1) They have to believe in science — and not just around the coronavirus but around climate change, which is the next train coming at us.

2) If they were in power during this crisis, they have to have led their city, state or business in a way that took the science of this epidemic seriously from the start and cared for those under them.

3) They have to be open to taking extraordinary measures to help the poor, the unemployed and the bankrupted get back on their feet.

4) They have to believe that America thrives when there is a healthy balance between the public and private sectors, so anyone subscribing to the old idiot mantra of the G.O.P. thought policeman Grover Norquist — “my goal is to cut government in half in 25 years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub” — is not welcome.

5) They have to want to extend health care to every American, for starters by strengthening Obamacare and adding a public option.

With those criteria, Biden could name his team of rivals. (I proposed an earlier version of this when the race for the nomination looked deadlocked, but the world has completely changed since.) My recommendations:

For vice president, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan, former Health and Human Services Secretary Donna Shalala or Gov. Gina Raimondo of Rhode Island; for Treasury secretary, Mike Bloomberg; health and human services secretary, Bill Gates; secretary of oversight for the trillions of dollars in emergency coronavirus spending, to make sure it’s done fairly and productively, Elizabeth Warren.

Attorney general, Merrick Garland; homeland security secretary, Andrew Cuomo; secretary of state, Mitt Romney; defense secretary, Michèle Flournoy; labor secretary, Ro Khanna (who co-chaired Sanders’s campaign).

Secretary of national infrastructure rebuild, a new cabinet post, Walmart C.E.O. Doug McMillon; commerce secretary, former American Express C.E.O. Ken Chenault; O.M.B. director, Gov. Mike DeWine of Ohio; education secretary, Laurene Powell Jobs; U.N. ambassador, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

HUD secretary, Ford Foundation chief Darren Walker; Interior secretary, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham of New Mexico; energy secretary, Andy Karsner (a green Republican who led renewable energy for George W. Bush); E.P.A. administrator, Al Gore.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/opinion/biden-campaign-covid.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

24 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I adore reading columns from Iraq War promoters and neo-cons about what the Democrats need to do.

What I love even more is watching the center go to them like moths to flame.

Unfortunately, anyone who wants to win as a Democrat needs the center because young people can't be bothered to vote.

21 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

the most recent penn poll i found (early march) has biden +6

michigan rolling avg is biden +4.4

wisconsin rolling avg biden +2.7

arizona rolling avg biden +3.8

florida has one from last week that has biden +6 (rolling avg goes back a month and is close to a wash)

north caro has nothing recent but rolling avg biden +3.4

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/general_election/#

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the most recent penn poll i found (early march) has biden +6

michigan rolling avg is biden +4.4

wisconsin rolling avg biden +2.7

arizona rolling avg biden +3.8

florida has one from last week that has biden +6 (rolling avg goes back a month and is close to a wash)

north caro has nothing recent but rolling avg biden +3.4

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/general_election/#

To be clear, Florida was consistently Trump by at least 2 points until a few days ago so it's not a back and forth, it's a huge shift.

On 4/9/2020 at 7:58 PM, Message Board User said:

I buy that map. Even if you color in all the white for trump that’s still a narrow democrat win, right?  And if that goes blue it looks like Obama/Clinton mid 300’s in EV- which would be my guess. 

edit to add- I’d paint Florida Red along with Ohio and Iowa (I think they’ve become GOP states in the same way Va, CO and NV have become solid dem states) but that’s still a Biden win. I think AZ goes blue in 2020 and stays blue basically forever. 

WI is trying to become a GOP state and MI as well, but not with a moderate Dem against an unlikeable republican.  Right candidate in 24 for GOO against a shitty Dem candidate and I could see those being red states,  but not this year. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Love it when Republicans and Libertarians become the trolling champions of the Democratic nominee.

My critique of Biden today is identical to what it has been. His winning the primary doesn't change any of it.

If your critiques of Biden did change because he won they were never substantive at all. They were just talking points in support of your favorite personality in an online game show.

Bidenism is going to hurt a lot of people.

The drug war will remain. Center & center-right justices. No Green New Deal. No universal healthcare. Cash bail lives on. Being the #1 jailer in the world lives on. Zero attempt to address wealth and income inequality. Coordination with Republicans to "reform" entitlements. Zero public housing initiatives. Homelessness unaddressed. Wars overseas unabated. Yemen ignored. Palestine ignored. Deportations continue. Another international embarrassment who can't talk. Student and medical debt untouched.

That's Joe Biden. And it fucking sucks.

Love it when Republicans and Libertarians become the trolling champions of the Democratic nominee.

My critique of Biden today is identical to what it has been. His winning the primary doesn't change any of it.

If your critiques of Biden did change because he won they were never substantive at all. They were just talking points in support of your favorite personality in an online game show.

Bidenism is going to hurt a lot of people.

The drug war will remain. Center & center-right justices. No Green New Deal. No universal healthcare. Cash bail lives on. Being the #1 jailer in the world lives on. Zero attempt to address wealth and income inequality. Coordination with Republicans to "reform" entitlements. Zero public housing initiatives. Homelessness unaddressed. Wars overseas unabated. Yemen ignored. Palestine ignored. Deportations continue. Another international embarrassment who can't talk. Student and medical debt untouched.

That's Joe Biden. And it fucking sucks.
Nobody disagrees with your assertion that it's more of the same of what we had prior to 2016.

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden