Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

so let me get this straight...

biden makes a ridiculous, offensive statement basically saying "i'm better for black america than trump".

i point out that while ridiculous, it is accurate, and certainly more accurate than trump's statement about jewish people.

bt asks me to clarify, then takes shots at me, and at biden's statement.

then when pushed, finally agrees with biden's assessment after all.

then accuses me of some sort of troll setup, and then confuses things by saying i'm the one painted into a corner.

are we all caught up?

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

what was my troll setup?

Troll setup: "... dems really aren’t as good for black people as we were led to believe ..."
Troll punchline: "... trump ..."

You led with talking about the Democrats and their treatment of their black voter base then, when responded to, spun it into Trump, which wasn't what was being discussed. A retreat to safe territory because you'd likely overstepped. A common move here. :)

39 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

biden makes a ridiculous, offensive statement basically saying "i'm better for black america than trump".

That's not what his statement was.

----------------------------------------------------
Charlamagne tha God: Listen, you got to come see us when you come to New York VP Biden.

Joe Biden: I will.

Charlamagne tha God: Because it’s a long way until November. We got more questions.

Joe Biden: You got more questions but I tell ya, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.

Charlamagne tha God: It don’t have nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with the fact I want something for my community. I would love to see-

Joe Biden: Take a look at my record, man. I extended the voting racks 25 years. I have a record that is second to none. The NAACP has endorsed me every time I’ve run. I mean, come on, take a look at the record.

-------------------------------------------------------

I don't accept your spin, henry. You're welcome to it and you'll find many eager listeners here, but it's just spin.

Joe Biden is thin-skinned and hates being questioned. CtG said he had more questions and Biden responded with "You got more questions but I tell ya, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black."

The "you" in this sentence is CtG, a black man.

We can say that maybe he was talking about the black audience as a more general "you", but ... he said what he said and we shouldn't seek to infantilize the men trying to be our presidents. He has a long history of insulting the intelligence and responsibility of black Americans. (And even that walk-back is ugly as hell.)

Saying they don't know what to do to raise their kids ("record player" incident), that he had to go teach black people about condom use ("I know Barack got tested" incident) and on and on and on.

CtG even gives him the out immediately after he says it. He offers a chance for Biden to sell his plan to directly help blacks and Biden makes it about his personal defensive aggreivances (and, in typical Joe fashion, includes a massive lie).

i point out that while ridiculous, it is accurate, and certainly more accurate than trump's statement about jewish people.

Your fictionalized version of what Biden said is more accurate, sure, but why can't a MAGA chud fictionalize Donald's words as well?

If we're going to play the game of "Oh I know what he said is X, but he meant Y" then there are no rules and nothing matters anymore.

then when pushed, finally agrees with biden's assessment after all.

That wasn't what Biden said. I don't accept your unpaid, volunteer spin activity for Biden 2020. :)

are we all caught up?

You are still stuck on Step 1: Basic comprehension of Joe's words.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Troll setup: "... dems really aren’t as good for black people as we were led to believe ..."

i responded to message board user who posted a max boot tweet where he was shitting on nikki haley.  the tweet was comparing biden's statement to trump's statement.  i posted about both statements.

you had nothing to do with the exchange...until you asked me to clarify, so that you could "lecture us all about how dems really aren’t as good for black people as we were led to believe."  you've already been lecturing us, so it was obvious this is where you were heading.  i accurately called out how you almost got to do it, which i'm sure was frustrating for you.

biden's clearly stating that he's better for black america than trump.  i'm not defending him or what he said or how he said it or doing what trumpkins do, so stop trying so hard to paint everybody with that brush.  trump was doing the same with jewish people.  and as i said, though neither is appropriate, biden's statement is at least based in an opinion the majority agrees with, whereas trump's is not.

you found yourself in a situation where you had to agree with biden, or say trump is better for black america (which you obviously don't believe).  you could've just said (again) that biden is better but he leaves a lot to be desired and still has a lot to prove, and left it alone.  but you don't do that.  you try to turn us into something we're not - huge biden supporters, because that makes us a more convenient target for you.  you make it out to where we're all propping up biden, then you take shots at us.  you should stop.

if you want me to photoshop an aggy shirt onto a picture of you and then make fun of you, i can do it, i've got spare time.  but that's not really how i work.  you put a weird spin on what biden said, and you're attacking your own take.  if i agreed with you, attack away.  but i don't.  nobody does.  

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

you put a weird spin on what biden said

I quoted him directly.

Here, I'll do it again.

----------------------------------------------------
Charlamagne tha God: Listen, you got to come see us when you come to New York VP Biden.

Joe Biden: I will.

Charlamagne tha God: Because it’s a long way until November. We got more questions.

Joe Biden: You got more questions but I tell ya, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.

Charlamagne tha God: It don’t have nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with the fact I want something for my community. I would love to see-

Joe Biden: Take a look at my record, man. I extended the voting racks 25 years. I have a record that is second to none. The NAACP has endorsed me every time I’ve run. I mean, come on, take a look at the record.

-------------------------------------------------------

Quoting someone and taking them at their word isn't "weird spin". It's what honest people do.

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

nobody does.  

Really? You think everyone agrees with your spin?

Does the person Joe was talking to agree with it?

Or this commentator that CtG retweeted?

Or this re-tweet from CtG

Or this one...

Interesting definition of "nobody".

I guess you meant "nobody (here on this website of white moderates)"?

• Like 1

i'm saying that biden's meaning was "if you're a black person, this election is a no-brainer".

i'm saying he thinks black people should all think it's obvious to vote for him.

i'm saying he thinks it's obvious that he's been great for black america, and that he's better for black america than trump (the other choice on the ballot).

the subtext is that he's clearly taking the black vote for granted, and just assuming if he shows up, he's already "earned" their vote.

i haven't watched all your clips, but this is the general take from the talking heads that i've seen.

so how am i spinning the meaning, and what was he actually saying?  don't just quote him, because it's clear this wasn't a literal meaning (assuming like c thomas howell in soul man, that he's not actually black).  you can keep explaining to us that biden is a liar and contentious and thin-skinned and hates being challenged and all the rest, and that's fine.  but that's not actually explaining what you think he meant, and how i'm wrong about it.

it shouldn't take you more than 2-3 sentences to explain what biden meant with what he said.

42 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm saying that biden's meaning was "if you're a black person, this election is a no-brainer".

That was part of his message, sure.

i haven't watched all your clips, but this is the general take from the talking heads that i've seen.

Filter bubbles work.

so how am i spinning the meaning, and what was he actually saying?

Joe was saying a lot of things there. One of them absolutely was "I'm better for you than Trump."

More things he was saying:
- You, specifically because of your race, owe me your vote
- Don't question me
- Don't ask me for things
- I'm fit to determine what is properly "black" and what is not
- I know what's best for black people; better than many blacks themselves
- My record on black issues is obviously good
- I have been endorsed by the NAACP every time I've run for office
- I will offer you nothing, because your vote is owed

Your spin is removing all other meanings (including removing the literal, surface meanings) except the most charitable one (the one that plays best here). Biden literally pays people to do this for him.

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

More things he was saying:
- You, specifically because of your race, owe me your vote
- Don't question me
- Don't ask me for things
- I'm fit to determine what is properly "black" and what is not
- I know what's best for black people; better than many blacks themselves
- My record on black issues is obviously good
- I have been endorsed by the NAACP every time I've run for office
- I will offer you nothing, because your vote is owed

😂😂😂

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Your spin is removing all other meanings (including removing the literal, surface meanings) except the most charitable one (the one that plays best here). Biden literally pays people to do this for him.

it isn't, actually, and we're agreeing for the most part about what biden meant (obviously you're tying it to other obnoxious stuff he's said or implied through the weeks and months leading up).  the problem you're having is the difference between "explaining" and "excusing".  you're trying to draw parallels between biden and trump through people that interpret their idiotic musings.

trump people will take something stupid or incoherent trump says and put a good spin on it, by saying "well, what he actually meant was..."  and typically their explanation is something positive and more coherent.  i'm not doing that with biden, and most others here aren't either.  saying that what biden said was correct in spirit was saying that biden is actually better for black america than trump.  that doesn't mean he was right or correct in what he said or how he said it.  that doesn't mean i'm excusing what he said at all.  i've said the opposite, in fact.

stop being so fucking desperate to tag us with the worst possible interpretations of everything biden says.  we get it, biden is not as good for black people as he wants us to think.  no fucking duh.  he's running for office.  but he's better than trump, and most black people agree with this, and they'll show it by voting for him, whether they believe it or not.

53 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

stop being so fucking desperate to tag us with the worst possible interpretations of everything biden says.

If you agree with my list of meanings behind what Joe was saying, why is it so important for you to silence them? Why does it bother you when I bring them up for discussion and evaluation?

we get it, biden is not as good for black people as he wants us to think.  no fucking duh.  he's running for office.

What does "he's running for office" mean here? Flesh it out. What does that actually mean and what does it matter? Why would I care?

but he's better than trump

We all know this. No one here disputes it. Why do you keep bringing it up like it's a conversation-ender or even an interesting or useful point?

The sky is blue. The sun will rise. Biden is better than Trump.

Great... now what?

You guys having to constantly reassure each other that you pinky-promise to not be a Trump fan only highlights your own neuroses and anxieties. It's bizarre.

You should seriously start a "Biden 2020: Boosters Only" thread where you can just say "Biden is better than Trump" over and over at each other like the seagulls in Finding Nemo. I swear I won't go in there.

Can there be a thread where people critically analyze this candidate? Can your collective psyche handle it?

• Like 1

Just now, henrygandorf said:

he challenged me, he agreed with me

It depends on which version of your argument you're talking about.

Version A: All Joe meant was that he was better than Donald and that's all he meant, nothing else.
Version B: One of Joe's meanings was that he was better than Donald, but there was a lot more.

I agree with B.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It depends on which version of your argument you're talking about.

Version A: All Joe meant was that he was better than Donald and that's all he meant, nothing else.
Version B: One of Joe's meanings was that he was better than Donald, but there was a lot more.

I agree with B.

i never said version a. you projected it so you could argue with me. it’s what you do. 

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

my mind is made up. sorry. 

Remember a few pages ago when you were playing reasonable by saying the obvious thing that I'm not a Trump guy? That was a fun troll move. :)

Trump is worse than Biden. If anyone wants to vote, they should vote for Biden.

While the white moderates and liberals want the conversation to end there because they don't actually care about any class of people below them, it's important to hold leadership's feet to the fire at all times and never stop demanding better things.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 1:17 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Right now, one party feels entitled to the black vote and the other party knows they can’t get it, so neither one is trying at all to persuade the AA community.  How is that beneficial to the black community?  Even if you think the GOP is beyond hope, at least make the Democrats earn your vote. 

Out number by illegals.  More illegals with potential to vote than AA.  No longer relevant. Getting that illegal vote is now the goal. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

28 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

My favorite Biden gaffe was when he said, “Poor kids are just as bright as white kids.”  

Everyone knows exactly who Joe is.

That includes the black people that voted for him. I'm tempted to go get quotes from back when we had primaries that mattered. But, I suppose current ones will do. I had Roland Martin the other day. 

3 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

What's going on here..? Is this Miss Trump, or some out of touch celeb..?

You missed it? Melania wore it very visibly after shit started going bad about holding children in cages. 

God, that's so many Scaramuccis ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My favorite Biden gaffe was when he said, “Poor kids are just as bright as white kids.”  
Everyone knows exactly who Joe is.
Sadly that's actually on the progressive side of the bell curve for a white person born in... *checks notes* 1942.

Not defending him, for the record.

On 5/25/2020 at 3:16 PM, bad_teammate said:

It's funny how Biden in this instance is a perfect avatar for white liberals and moderates. He's asked about material benefits and he doesn't want to talk about that (because it threatens class interests) so he makes it "BUT TRUMP!"

#plantationjoe

On 5/25/2020 at 3:35 PM, henrygandorf said:

i responded to message board user who posted a max boot tweet where he was shitting on nikki haley.  the tweet was comparing biden's statement to trump's statement.  i posted about both statements.

you had nothing to do with the exchange...until you asked me to clarify, so that you could "lecture us all about how dems really aren’t as good for black people as we were led to believe."  you've already been lecturing us, so it was obvious this is where you were heading.  i accurately called out how you almost got to do it, which i'm sure was frustrating for you.

biden's clearly stating that he's better for black america than trump.  i'm not defending him or what he said or how he said it or doing what trumpkins do, so stop trying so hard to paint everybody with that brush.  trump was doing the same with jewish people.  and as i said, though neither is appropriate, biden's statement is at least based in an opinion the majority agrees with, whereas trump's is not.

you found yourself in a situation where you had to agree with biden, or say trump is better for black america (which you obviously don't believe).  you could've just said (again) that biden is better but he leaves a lot to be desired and still has a lot to prove, and left it alone.  but you don't do that.  you try to turn us into something we're not - huge biden supporters, because that makes us a more convenient target for you.  you make it out to where we're all propping up biden, then you take shots at us.  you should stop.

if you want me to photoshop an aggy shirt onto a picture of you and then make fun of you, i can do it, i've got spare time.  but that's not really how i work.  you put a weird spin on what biden said, and you're attacking your own take.  if i agreed with you, attack away.  but i don't.  nobody does.  

Can you point out "black america" on a map for me?  There is no such thing.  There is only North America, Central America, South America, and the United States of America.  You are a prime example of how the left thinks.  There are black people but there is no "black America"  just as there is no "white America", "gay America", "straight America" or any other non-previously mentioned America.  Each black person is as unique and individual in their thinking, their beliefs, and their feelings as each white person, each Hispanic person, each gay person, each straight person, each bi person, each Islamic person, each Catholic person, each Protestant person, each atheist person, and every other kind of person you would like to break the country down into is.  Anyone who thinks that a particular person has to think or act in a certain way or else they aren't really "that kind" of person has no room to complain or rant about anyone else being a racist.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 5/25/2020 at 7:04 PM, henrygandorf said:

primaries are over. a binary choice remains. my mind is made up. sorry. 

It’s not a binary choice, there will probably be 5 or 6 candidates in Texas, plus you can write in a choice or not vote. 

I choose other candidate or not vote all the time, as I will again this election season. 

All this worry about what an individual does with their ballot is strange to me, as the race will not hinge on my vote, and what I choose to do with my vote won’t affect anyone else. My wife always tells me I have to vote and I have to vote for one of the two parties and I always look at her perplexed because that vote will have no affect on the office. 

In 2018 I showed up and voted for Judge Ed Emmett in houston bc I thought he was really good and had earned my vote and that was the only race I voted in. In and out in a flash. My vote had as much affect in that ballot as any of your votes will have- what’s the fucking point?

I’m not being a nihilist here- this is literally all mental masterbation, and I would rather pay someone $20.00 to kick me in the balls than have a real life conversation where I tried to convince someone to vote a certain way. 

I will, however, be eternally grateful to black people as a collective for making president Bernie Sanders not a thing, I suppose. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 8:06 PM, cactusflinthead said:

That includes the black people that voted for him. I'm tempted to go get quotes from back when we had primaries that mattered. But, I suppose current ones will do. I had Roland Martin the other day. 

You missed it? Melania wore it very visibly after shit started going bad about holding children in cages. 

God, that's so many Scaramuccis ago.

That last line is awesome. 

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

Can you point out "black america" on a map for me?  There is no such thing.  There is only North America, Central America, South America, and the United States of America.  You are a prime example of how the left thinks.  There are black people but there is no "black America"  just as there is no "white America", "gay America", "straight America" or any other non-previously mentioned America.  Each black person is as unique and individual in their thinking, their beliefs, and their feelings as each white person, each Hispanic person, each gay person, each straight person, each bi person, each Islamic person, each Catholic person, each Protestant person, each atheist person, and every other kind of person you would like to break the country down into is.  Anyone who thinks that a particular person has to think or act in a certain way or else they aren't really "that kind" of person has no room to complain or rant about anyone else being a racist.

god i admire you.

"black america" is my abbreviation for "black people living in america".  sorry it confused you.  i also wasn't grouping people together or implying that any group thinks or votes in an identical way to people who look like them, love like them, or pray like them.  i was providing my interpretation of biden's goofy soundbite.

• Like 1

Fuck off. 

I can point out "stupid idiot with super weak troll game America" on a map for you. Just need your address

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden