Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

A probably-futile effort to make people feel as uncomfortable with the direction of this party as they should be in a vain hope that they'll actually care about policy of any kind at any point.
Joe Biden fucking sucks, not just because he's declining but because he's always fucking sucked.

He sucks, has sucked and will suck. He’s also our only option for removing Trump. Sucks.
  • Like 1

Just now, Lurch said:

Because I want him to win and having him take positions that are difficult for the middle to swallow doesn’t serve that purpose.

He doesn't even have to adopt m4a as his own position; just don't say you're going to fucking veto it.

Aren't you going to want the Dems to win 2022 midterms? Can't take unpopular with the middle positions before that election, right?
Won't you want him to win again in 2024? Can't take unpopular with the middle positions before that election, right?

And on and on and on and on forever.

He doesn't even have to adopt m4a as his own position; just don't say you're going to fucking veto it.

Aren't you going to want the Dems to win 2022 midterms? Can't take unpopular with the middle positions before that election, right?
Won't you want him to win again in 2024? Can't take unpopular with the middle positions before that election, right?
And on and on and on and on forever.

Incremental gains occur with each election. Then, the center becomes comfortable with them and that becomes the new center. Rinse repeat

Police are fucking beating black people to death and people have 6 figure debt from cancer.
iTs WhAt WoRkS

It’s terrible. It’s been worse. We have a lot of work to do, but can acknowledge at the same time where wins have occurred.

Biden will make more progress. Trump will take us further backwards than he already has.

You’re mocking seems to imply a different outcome if we had instead elected a further left nom in 2016. I find that hard to believe.

Just now, Lurch said:

Biden will make more progress. Trump will take us further backwards than he already has.

Is there variation in the amount of how much progress we can make under Biden based on what we demand and how forcefully we demand it?

You’re mocking seems to imply a different outcome if we had instead elected a further left nom in 2016.

It's a direct response to your fallacious assertion that we just steadily and incrementally march towards progress. We don't.

Donald Trump won the presidency. We don't just naturally march towards goodness at the invisible hand of a loving god.

Lurch, since you believe there is flexibility in what kind of progress can happen under Biden, at what point would it ever be the right move, in your mind, for someone to take a position other than, "I will always vote for every Democrat no matter what they do or say"? Is that ever an acceptable threat for a voter to make?

I have no problem voting for a non-Dem. Prior to their cave to Trump I could have voted for some Rs, but that now seems unlikely for the rest of my lifetime, as the only Rs left appear to be gutless sycophants and their indifference to climate change, national debt and healthcare for all eliminated any reason for me to support them.

I voted straight R the first 15-20 years I could vote. I mixed it up when Palin and the Tea Party happened. 2016 was my first ever straight D ticket.

I would guess my policy positions now nearly mirror yours. I just think the approach I favor is more realistic for achieving change.

• Like 5

Damn, you couldn't even wait ONE election cycle to make yourself the center of a movement you're brand new to?
lol

If I’m the center of a movement, that’s certainly news to me.

I’m a person with an opinion, with no more or less weight than your own.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

So they're doing do the Hillary thing again: "Donald Trump is a bad person and you're a bad person (and not black) if you don't like me! No, I'm not really going to promise you anything!"

huh?

the people i'm talking about (the anecdotal liberals in that tweet) are scared to do or say or stand for anything they view as "controversial" because they're afraid of upsetting the apple cart.  i'm surrounded by liberals who are screaming to "defund the police".  anyone who is arguing to tamp down the language is doing it out of fear of 2016 repeating itself.  it's no more complicated than that.

30 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

huh?

Their strategy is the same in 2020 as it was in 2016: the politics of personal shame and virtue signaling.

Trump might be so terrible that he loses anyway, but the Democrats are not setting us up to be lead in any kind of specific or targeted progressive direction. It's just a vague "better than Trump" as far as the eye can see. And for white suburbanites, that's good enough.

But as the streets are telling us right now, it's not enough for the masses.

23 minutes ago, Lurch said:

It’s not good enough for me.

How do you plan to demonstrate that?

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

some random boomer on twitter asks nicely about changing the rallying cry.

bt - "dems believe in nothing, lebowski!"

While that's not an accurate characterization of what has happened, but... pretty much yeah.

A white suburbanite calling on the street activists to change their messaging in order to appeal to other white suburbanites is a perfect demonstration of not actually believing in what the street activists believe in.

5 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

If only he would do that honorable Japanese thing so we’d be free of his idiocy. 

What do you mean?  He's been banzai attacking us for years telling us Joe Biden (aka Babe Ruth) sucks and down with the Democrats (aka The Yankees).   He's just using English instead of sake fueled Japanese.

19 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

There is not a circumstance in which I would vote for Trump outside of some kind of hostage situation.

I will vote for Joe Biden if he says he won't veto universal healthcare if it passes Congress. He has stated multiple times now that he would veto it. It's a very strange and unexpected position for him to take, and I hope he reverses it soon. So until then, I'm not voting for Joe Biden.

JimmyJames, and many others here, misconstrue that on purpose because they like to create fights on the Internet.

Jimmy James is a fucking moron, here and in real life I'm betting. They had to Name him James 2x just so he could remember his name.

20 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I will vote for Joe Biden if he says he won't veto universal healthcare if it passes Congress. He has stated multiple times now that he would veto it. It's a very strange and unexpected position for him to take, and I hope he reverses it soon. So until then, I'm not voting for Joe Biden.

This is a false statement. He was talking exclusively about the Sanders M4A bill, not universal healthcare. 
But in any case the best UHC systems are not the kind of expansive federal monopsony envisioned in the Sanders M4A bill, which seems to have more to do with settling ideological scores than providing high quality, comprehensive, cost effective care for everyone. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This is a false statement. He was talking exclusively about the Sanders M4A bill, not universal healthcare. 

What proposals exist in Congress to provide universal healthcare other than M4A? Biden will not be introducing one.

If there's one option for dinner and I say I will veto it, I'm vetoing dinner.

But in any case the best UHC systems are not the kind of expansive federal monopsony envisioned in the Sanders M4A bill, which seems to have more to do with settling ideological scores than providing high quality, comprehensive, cost effective care for everyone. 

Are you the Wyden/Bennett guy (I'm sorry, so many people yell at me all the time it's hard to keep things straight)? Because if so, the irony here is fucking astronomical.

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden