Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, is on ZERO Sunday morning shows during the biggest public crisis in living American history. And his campaigns response to criticism is, "OH I GUESS YOU LOVE TRUMP!"

This is going extremely well.

-------------------------------------------------------------

And where is Biden? What, exactly, would Pelosi want to see happen? 

What does the Democratic Party even stand for?

Democratic leaders pride themselves on getting things done. They extoll compromise as the highest of all political virtues and boast about reaching across the aisle ― even when the party across the aisle is run by wannabe authoritarians.

An endless parade of centrists vied for the 2020 Democratic nomination not by talking about ideas, but by talking about competence, leadership and other intangibles while warning that candidates that did talk about ideas were too dangerous and scary.

One of those centrists, Biden, has now all but sewn up the nomination — and made himself all but invisible as the worst economic and public health crisis in generations has blossomed. Meeting the other guy halfway is a nice idea, but to do it, you have to start from somewhere yourself. A party that doesn’t really believe in anything will have a hard time putting up serious proposals in a crisis. 

The coronavirus pandemic should have sounded the death knell for Trumpism as a political project. Democrats have instead given it new life. 

Which would be fine, if Trump could govern. But the man who called this a hoax is unfit for office and cannot be trusted with power in a crisis. It’s a shame Pelosi and Biden can’t be, either.

-------------------------------------------------------------

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

cannot be trusted with power in a crisis. It’s a shame Pelosi and Biden can’t be, either.

What power do they have?  Pelosi can only put bills across to McConnell, where they die.  Last I checked, Joe Biden isn't even in government.

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Complaining about 10 posts in 6 days? Sounds like you're more bothered by the underlying reality than the supposed flood of posts.

I just don't get what you are getting out of these snipes at Biden. We get it, he has deficiencies and you don't like him. He was probably my 6th or 7th choice and I agree he has real deficiencies.  But barring him having health issues the next few months, he's our nominee whether we like it or not. So what's the point of constantly attacking him at this stage?

4 minutes ago, Zombie said:

I just don't get what you are getting out of these snipes at Biden. We get it, he has deficiencies and you don't like him. He was probably my 6th or 7th choice and I agree he has real deficiencies.  But barring him having health issues the next few months, he's our nominee whether we like it or not. So what's the point of constantly attacking him at this stage?

What's the point of responding to me in defense of Joe Biden? What's the point of any online social media conversation? I will admit to the ultimate uselessness of literally every single moment any of us spend here, but that hardly seems relevant in general or unique to my criticism of Joe.

But "at this stage" is an interesting phrase. Are you arguing that it is less important for us to demand leadership in the midst of an actual deadly crisis than it was to obsess over polls in January? That was a better use of all our time?

It would be fucking amazing if Joe Biden showed the uniting power and get-shit-done ability that we were sold as his defining features and that we sacrificed every other candidate to advance.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What's the point of responding to me in defense of Joe Biden? What's the point of any online social media conversation? I will admit to the ultimate uselessness of literally every single moment any of us spend here, but that hardly seems relevant in general or unique to my criticism of Joe.

But "at this stage" is an interesting phrase. Are you arguing that it is less important for us to demand leadership in the midst of an actual deadly crisis than it was to obsess over polls in January? That was a better use of all our time?

It would be fucking amazing if Joe Biden showed the uniting power and get-shit-done ability that we were sold as his defining features and that we sacrificed every other candidate to advance.

What's stopping Bernie Sanders?

24 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Those politicians with actual power would kindly tell the candidate with no power to get out of the way.

Not a sterling recommendation of Biden's efficacy or leadership.

22 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I look forward to Bernie building a bi-partisan coalition of Senators ready to put forward a bill to provide real meaningful help to those who need it most.

2 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

1201-896

Bernie is basically defeated, yes, what does this have to do with Biden's completely non-existent leadership in a time of national crisis?

Joe has to hide because the lighting is bad lol

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Leading in this time of national crisis. Unifying the Democratic Party. You know. All of the things at which Joe Biden is failing.

Bernie is trying very hard to make himself visible and show leadership. He's used his fundraising machine to raise millions of dollars for COVID-related charities. He hosts regular virtual townhalls and talks about the crisis and what is necessary to fight against it.

As for unifying the party, that isn't the Bernie sales pitch. It's Joe's sales pitch.

The Biden sales pitch is that he will work with establishment players to Get Things Done. Biden has the nomination sewn up, he's got the entire media establishment (outside of FOX) ready to back his plays, and he's got a massive train of insider endorsements. The networks would love to have him at any time.

Where is he?

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Joe has to hide because the lighting is bad lol

Bernie is trying very hard to make himself visible and show leadership. He's used his fundraising machine to raise millions of dollars for COVID-related charities. He hosts regular virtual townhalls and talks about the crisis and what is necessary to fight against it.

As for unifying the party, that isn't the Bernie sales pitch. It's Joe's sales pitch.

The Biden sales pitch is that he will work with establishment players to Get Things Done. Biden has the nomination sewn up, he's got the entire media establishment (outside of FOX) ready to back his plays, and he's got a massive train of insider endorsements. The networks would love to have him at any time.

Where is he?

Where is Bernie? If he's trying to make himself visible, he's not doing a very good job.

40 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Bernie chat in the Biden thread not going away.

How many different irrelevant shields do you have against criticism of this dogshit candidate that you feel compelled to defend? Will be interesting to find out.

I voted for Bernie. But it's time to get behind the Democratic nominee. Bernie should do that. You should do that. All of the Bernie Bros should do that.

That's politics in a system where you only have two viable choices.

• Like 1

Why isn't Wolf Blitzer stepping up and leading!?!  He just sits there and talks about it all day!  He could be leading us!  What about Martin Sheen!?!?  He was great on The West Wing!  He is not doing his duty to his country!  He should be pretending to be president!

Edited by Biff Tannen
fack
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

You're here in the Joe Biden thread defending Bernie.

I'm not the one continually bringing him up. Go back and read this thread. Here's the pattern of the last few pages (which span about 2 weeks)

b_t: "Here's a way Joe is fucking up/sucks as a candidate."
David/Ted/Jimmy/et al: "Bernie lost shut up."

I'm very  happy to just talk about Joe Biden in the Joe Biden thread. Are y'all? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm not the one continually bringing him up. Go back and read this thread. Here's the pattern of the last few pages (which span about 2 weeks)

b_t: "Here's a way Joe is fucking up/sucks as a candidate."
David/Ted/Jimmy/et al: "Bernie lost shut up."

I'm very  happy to just talk about Joe Biden in the Joe Biden thread. Are y'all? 

There's not much to talk about. Just vote for him.

I do think Joe should be, in essence, setting up and running a "shadow government."  While he can't force any Federal action today, he can be taking strong positions (publicly and visibly stated) as to what should be done, on an ongoing basis.  AND, he should be building a long-term pandemic prevention, management, and response plan.

"How is my administration going to make sure that we fully defeat this current pandemic, and how are we going to prevent another one from devastating our people and country like this again?  This is what my administration will do -- and we are already putting the pieces in place, because on day 1, America will need a president who is finally taking action to make us all safer."  It's not a hard message.  It's actually something he should be doing.  He's doing pieces of it, but not enough.

Start acting like the president.  Now.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why isn't Wolf Blitzer stepping up and leading!?!  He just sits there and talks about it all day!  He could be leading us!  What about Martin Sheen!?!?  He was great on The West Wing!  He is not doing his duty to his country!  He should be pretending to be president!

So pretend you aren't talking to a hated BernieBro that you haven't conditioned yourself to just reflexively fight with, if possible.

Ok, now imagine you're watching a Democratic primary whose intention is to choose a candidate to beat an incumbent Republican who is a godawful person and leader during a time of severe national crisis. And in that primary, there is a presumptive nominee with a 99.9% chance of winning the nomination.

What would you expect from this person in this scenario?

6 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

So pretend you aren't talking to a hated BernieBro that you haven't conditioned yourself to just reflexively fight with, if possible.

Ok, now imagine you're watching a Democratic primary whose intention is to choose a candidate to beat an incumbent Republican who is a godawful person and leader during a time of severe national crisis. And in that primary, there is a presumptive nominee with a 99.9% chance of winning the nomination.

What would you expect from this person in this scenario?

I understand your frustration. This is what we have right now. We need your help. You are not helping. But you can help. 

13 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Please replace Joe with this guy

To be fair, this is also why Cuomo is better than Cynthia Nixon who you wanted to unseat him.

Cuomo is the executive you want. Bernie and Nixon are the Senators and celebrities that you want the executive to listen to behind the scenes.

Staten Islanders even love Cuomo right now.  He wasnt that popular with either the left or the right before because he always held to the center left.  But that also made him capable of reaching everyone in the state when he needed to like right now.

But agree, he would be a great President.  And a uniter.  Might not have said so 6 months ago. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Man, I really don’t get the people attacking BT for daring to ask where Biden has gone. Just some truly weird shit. 

A) He is not in government. He literally can do nothing to influence the federal response. As far as I can tell, he could go on tv and tell people what he thinks, but it would have zero effect on the reality of what is occurring. 

B) B_T’s hero IS IN GOVERNMENT and I have seen just about the same nothing from him that we’ve seen from Biden. Yet B_T screams bloody murder all over this board and it’s fucking annoying. 

21 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Bernie chat in the Biden thread not going away.

How many different irrelevant shields do you have against criticism of this dogshit candidate that you feel compelled to defend? Will be interesting to find out.

Of course Bernie chat isn't going away.  You're posting full tilt in the thread, what else do you think is going to happen?

19 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

What about Martin Sheen!?!?  He was great on The West Wing!  He is not doing his duty to his country!  He should be pretending to be president!

I can actually imagine dotard firing up old episodes of WW to get some pointers on how to handle this.

37 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Man, I really don’t get the people attacking BT for daring to ask where Biden has gone. Just some truly weird shit. 

Under normal circumstances I would 100% agree with you.  But with a global pandemic going around maybe it's not such a bad idea to keep our octogenarian last hope for democracy sequestered away from the masses for a while.  Just spitballing.

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

A) He is not in government. He literally can do nothing to influence the federal response. As far as I can tell, he could go on tv and tell people what he thinks, but it would have zero effect on the reality of what is occurring. 

B) B_T’s hero IS IN GOVERNMENT and I have seen just about the same nothing from him that we’ve seen from Biden. Yet B_T screams bloody murder all over this board and it’s fucking annoying. 

We elected a reality tv star as President more than three years ago and you still think Biden going on tv can’t have any impact? For millions of Americans, including Trump, TV is the only thing that’s real. If there is nobody going on TV explaining how Trump is fucking things up, they’ll continue to think he’s doing a great job even as their friends and family die slow and painful deaths.

TV is to boomers what they thought violent video games would be to millennials. It has completely rotted their fucking brains to the point there’s no other way to convey information to them. Not even their own adult children explaining to them in detail why this isn’t just the flu. Biden needs to be on television every fucking day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Under normal circumstances I would 100% agree with you.  But with a global pandemic going around maybe it's not such a bad idea to keep our octogenarian last hope for democracy sequestered away from the masses for a while.  Just spitballing.

I'm sorry, you think Joe Biden is Americas last hope for demacracy ?  Seriously, not just some sarcasm here ?

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden