2019 NCAA Final Four in Minneapolis

6 hours ago, Chad said:

Now that's an impressive feat. A collection of 2 and 3 star recruits will be playing for the championship.

Going into the summer after his junior year,  Culver was a top 100 player. He had a horrible summer that year and fell off dramatically.  

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Not only are those guys being developed it also shows how important having guys that are 3,4 and 5 year guys are. Beard has a system so he knows what to look for in transfers ans shaka looks and go "damn he can jump sign him up" because he has no system at all. Fuck i'm pissed again.

An interesting aspect of Beard's resume is how much experience he got coaching JUCOs, in semi-pro leagues, and at division II schools. That and the fact he jumped around a lot gave him atypical experience with roster turnover and being able to adapt when players are constantly coming and going. The hate riser of that class was Zhaire Smith. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

37 minutes ago, fluff said:

Owens in a walking boot today. Man I hope he can somehow go tomorrow. That defense is just not the same without him.

Virginia is so damn lucky with the Auburn dbl dribble/Auburn key player hurt, lucky win over Purdue, Tech with key big man probably out.  If VA wins, it's a * title imo. 

9 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Not to thread steal or rile up Goo, but how in the everliving F can Rick Barnes win the Coach of the Year (today)?  The list should begin and end with Beard.  Tech was picked 7th in the preseason (Big 12) polls; TN 2nd.  TN ended up tied for 2nd, didn't win the SEC tourney, and lost to a lower seed in the tourney (yes 2 v 3, semantics).

I did not keep up with any of this and just read he was coach of the year. I really don't understand how it was not Beard though. He is coaching in Lubbock for goodness sakes. 

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I believe Tech lost 5 of their top 6 scorers from last year.  Beard should absolutely be coach of the year.  It’s one of the best coaching jobs ever when you consider the regular season and tournament, the conference he’s in, Tech’s traditional place in the conference, the roster turnover, and the overall talent level he’s working with.

i'd like to know of a better coaching job ever in college ball. Yeah, sometimes a small school makes the Final 4, but this seems much better (aside from being in the finals). 

8 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Owens will play.

Odiase gets more minutes.  Corprew too.

let Avery get in there and fuck up some shit...but THEIR shit, not ours.  LOL.

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, NowThis said:

i'd like to know of a better coaching job ever in college ball. Yeah, sometimes a small school makes the Final 4, but this seems much better (aside from being in the finals). 

Maybe Brad Stevens in those back to back Butler Final 4s, but I don't remember how many he lost from one season to the next.  I believe he lost Gordon Heyward between the 2, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

I'm now on the Tech bandwagon for tonight, not because they beat MSU - but because of how they beat MSU.
The lockdown that TT put on after MSU brought the game back to 1 point just under 3:00 was super impressive, especially with MSU being on a 5 minute 13-2 run and looking like they were about to take the lead. Beard took at TO and got TT back to doing what had frustrated MSU the first 30 minutes of the game.

My only concern is that someone has to score, like Mooney did against State

13 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Beard took at TO and got TT back to doing what had frustrated MSU the first 30 minutes of the game.

He probably told them, "C'mon, guys, you gotta play basketball! Come on! Now, c'mon! Play!"

which he may or may not have cribbed from watching a Shaka Smart timeout inside the huddle on LHN

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

I’m biased, but I believe Tech has the upper hand here in terms of attitude and preparation required for Championship game basketball. Our guys are not joking. The Big 12 is a 18 round bare knuckle fight. It pays off tonight.

I honestly don’t know much about Virginia’s season. 

We will see. I’m just so damn pumped. Tariq Owens is playing. Ain’t no way you keep that kid off the court. 

10 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

I’m biased, but I believe Tech has the upper hand here in terms of attitude and preparation required for Championship game basketball. Our guys are not joking. The Big 12 is a 18 round bare knuckle fight. It pays off tonight.

I honestly don’t know much about Virginia’s season. 

We will see. I’m just so damn pumped. Tariq Owens is playing. Ain’t no way you keep that kid off the court. 

UVA is a technical team, meaning they play great schemed defense, but are not a smash mouth program. That's pretty much always true of the ACC in general.  If they control the tempo, slow the game down to a half court game, get more rebounds they generally win.

When they play a team that gets hot, and can put the ball in all night, specifically from the 3 point arc, they tend to lose. They aren't a huge scoring threat, but can get hot (17 threes at Syracuse in Feb.). Put in 70 or more and you can beat them.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

15 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

This is a weird take. This is true of literally any team in college basketball.

15 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

This is a weird take. This is true of literally any team in college basketball.

Yeah just went back and checked their stats, they're scored better than I thought over the season. Their only loss by a team with less than 70 was FSU.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Lol yeah that makes more sense. 

Just checked their box scores see above.  It does take 70 or more to beat em ( they didn't let a lot of teams score much more than 60, only 2 have scored 70 or more and beaten them).

Ya gotta hang 70 on em to beat em, so TT needs to be running and gunning in a transition type game with consistent 3 point scoring.  

7,928 out of 17.2 million Tournament Challenge entries correctly predicted Virginia, Michigan St., Texas Tech and Auburn would comprise the 2019 Final Four

======

so probably only 1/4 of that had TT-Va in the final, or just 2000 entries of 17.2 mil , or about 1/2150. 

edit -- probably higher than 1/2150 given that any # of teams could make the final 4 alongside TT and VA. 

Edited by NowThis

1 minute ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Virginia scores 70 on our defense. Then they will win. But that won’t happen. We don’t need 70. We need to do squeeze them for 40 minutes, not turn the ball over, rebound. 

Look at UVA losses, they don't lose if you don't score 70 or more (2 losses, both to Duke). Only FSU beat them by scoring less than 70.  I think TT is like FSU: big, athletic, and run and gun.  

Definitely yes to the rebound total.  They run so much time off with each possession.  You need second chance scoring opportunities.

This could be a boring, low scoring game.

7,928 out of 17.2 million Tournament Challenge entries correctly predicted Virginia, Michigan St., Texas Tech and Auburn would comprise the 2019 Final Four
======
so probably only 1/4 of that had TT-Va in the final, or just 2000 entries of 17.2 mil , or about 1/2150. 
edit -- probably higher than 1/2150 given that any # of teams could make the final 4 alongside TT and VA. 
My wife picked a Tech vs. Virginia final and apparently she's in the Top 5 of some Rudy's BBQ pool with a chance to win something if Virginia wins. So that's cool I guess.

If I’m Beard I have my guys go out there and try to “take the top off” UVA quickly. With that defense and UVAs style even if that doesn’t work I wouldn’t think Tech is going to find themselves in a big hole. But if it does work the game could get out of reach early.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CDAK said:

I don't think Owens is worth 5-10 points.  That's really high.  But I do think he's impactful and likely worth a few points.

He could be worth a 10 point swing when you consider his rim protection/ shot blocker on defense. He’s a solid contributor on offense, but to your point not a true difference maker to that tune of the final score for Tech. B

47 minutes ago, slorch said:

He could be worth a 10 point swing when you consider his rim protection/ shot blocker on defense. He’s a solid contributor on offense, but to your point not a true difference maker to that tune of the final score for Tech. B

This is spot on. He is the single season record holder shot blocker in program history. Knocked down some big shots Saturday. Made 3 key blocks. Made sparty struggle overall on shot selection. If he is limited, it changes the whole game. 

2 hours ago, CDAK said:

I don't think Owens is worth 5-10 points.  That's really high.  But I do think he's impactful and likely worth a few points.

Yeah this is a crazy bad take. MSU was entirely unable to score inside when Owens was in the game. They started posting up immediately and scoring steadily down low after he got hurt. Tech probably wins that game by 15+ if he played his full minutes.

• immamac unpinned and unfeatured this topic