NIT semifinals: Texas vs. TCU, 8:30 PM, ESPN

Machinator

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Lipscomb:  #40 in kenpom

best two teams they played were Louisville and TCU- they beat TCU handily and played Louisville close on the road (72-68). They've been regularly scoring 85+ in the NIT. Should be a more up and down game.

Texas #27 kenpom

Oregon #28 kenpom

TCU  #38 kenpom

Ok I have to admit winning the NIT and being crowned #69 would be pretty cool. I am kind of excited to see that.

Which makes me worried. Everytime Shaka Smart's teams get me excited that start sucking shit. I feel like I am cursing the team.

• Like 1

It’s understandable that the NIT gets little respect. These aren’t exactly great teams. But on a given night there can be some decent ball played. Lipscomb I thought was impressive last night against a pretty fair Wichita State team. We survived, which is the kindest way to describe our night. 

You’d like to think winning the NIT would be a springboard to a good NCAA run the next year, but that’s sure not a given. TCU hasn’t exactly flourished since its title. For that matter, we didn’t after our 1978 team won it. (And that was a really stout bunch. Those who never saw that team play might not realize how great it was, especially on offense. They’d probably beat our current team by about 30.)

All that said, I sure hope we win Thursday, and that we look far better offensively than we did last night. No random fan is going to enjoy 40 minutes of what the Big 12 put on display in the semis. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

Lipscomb:
#40 in kenpom
best two teams they played were Louisville and TCU- they beat TCU handily and played Louisville close on the road (72-68). They've been regularly scoring 85+ in the NIT. Should be a more up and down game.

Yes that’s all interesting but who’s their coach?

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Lipscomb:

#40 in kenpom

Maybe we'll cum on their Lips?

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:
We survived, which is the kindest way to describe our night. 

I don't get basketball fans. Casual football fans recognize and appreciate great defense. Casual baseball fans recognize great pitching and defense. Seems like casual basketball fans have no idea defense exists.

Yes our offense struggled and bogged down for periods last night like always. But our defense was active, disciplined, and effective all night. We completely stopped TCU from executing what they wanted for 40 minutes. We had one bad stretch of 2 minutes or so early in the second half where we gave up easy looks but Smart called a timeout (for all his many faults at least he recognized that was not a moment to let the guys play through it as they were losing focus) and we got reorganized and put our foots on their throats.

The kindest way to describe our night is a dominant defensive performance. It's also accurate.

Edited by Huckleberry
fixed the stupid paragraph spacing that tapa screws up every time
  • Like 3

There were actually a couple times this game where we had some decent movement off the ball on offense.  It's inexcusable it took 36 games to get the team playing with some semblance of having a plan other than just lazily launching contested 3's.  

7 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

There were actually a couple times this game where we had some decent movement off the ball on offense.  It's inexcusable it took 36 games to get the team playing with some semblance of having a plan other than just lazily launching contested 3's.  

Texas has the bigs for inside game yet continued to launch failing 3s all season.  That’s piss poor coaching.

51 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

But our defense was active, disciplined, and effective all night.

I would disagree with disciplined.  Our guys were flying around and busting their asses.  But there were a lot of times that they ran past guys and left them open.  We just had good enough help defense and effort that TCU couldn't make it matter.

19 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

Our offense isn’t that bad relative to the rest of college basketball (our offensive efficiency prove this). It’s just that it’s not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. We’re similar to the Rockets in that we jack up a shitload of 3s and have a bunch ball pounding and 1-on-1 play, all without the magic act of James Harden to obscure the fact that it’s ugly basketball.

19 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I would disagree with disciplined.  Our guys were flying around and busting their asses.  But there were a lot of times that they ran past guys and left them open.  We just had good enough help defense and effort that TCU couldn't make it matter.

Seemed to me the high pressure movement was the gameplan. It does result in leaving guys open, but that next open guy is conditioned to expect the next defender to be flying at him. They were never comfortable even when left open for a brief moment because of that. The discipline I mentioned was more about all 5 guys on the court being committed to that energetic rotation for the entire shot clock on every possession. It was fun to watch.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Seemed to me the high pressure movement was the gameplan. It does result in leaving guys open, but that next open guy is conditioned to expect the next defender to be flying at him. They were never comfortable even when left open for a brief moment because of that. The discipline I mentioned was more about all 5 guys on the court being committed to that energetic rotation for the entire shot clock on every possession. It was fun to watch.

You and I can agree to disagree on the "discipline" that we showed.  But we did show fanatical energy (on both ends of the Court) that was a lot of fun to watch.  Sucks to imagine what this team would have looked like this year if that's how we would've shown up to every game.

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Well that was fun. In-stadium it was never in doubt beyond a mildly nervous couple minutes after the half. Fun game to watch. Snoop is quite athletic in person, Jericho as well, but in a frustrating sort of way.

Where were your tix? I got sick Sunday night and had to be at work early today so getting home late last night would have been a recipe for a disastrous week. However, I’m definitely going Thursday.

that said, I’ve been to one basketball game ever and that was at Erwin, sat high up and just bullshitted. Is it worth to sit behind the back board? Or is mid court better? Tix half price on the corners of the court so dunno.

Just now, achooloco said:

Where were your tix? I got sick Sunday night and had to be at work early today so getting home late last night would have been a recipe for a disastrous week. However, I’m definitely going Thursday.

that said, I’ve been to one basketball game ever and that was at Erwin, sat high up and just bullshitted. Is it worth to sit behind the back board? Or is mid court better? Tix half price on the corners of the court so dunno.

In the corner seats. Tickets were 19/piece. It was far from full and the ushers didn't care so my buddy and I just walked down to the third row, which was a perfectly good view. I'd recommend doing that in terms of price vs view quality.

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

In the corner seats. Tickets were 19/piece. It was far from full and the ushers didn't care so my buddy and I just walked down to the third row, which was a perfectly good view. I'd recommend doing that in terms of price vs view quality.

Yeah I was wondering how full it would be and thought I might do the same. Thanks!

16 hours ago, texifornia said:

Always cheer for the team to win. Winning the NIT would mean a lot to the players while having almost no impact on Shaka's job status. Win win.

Yup, Shaka was likely coming back regardless of the results in the NIT. Beyond the results all the young players are getting experience. The more games we play the better. 

18 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Texas has the bigs for inside game yet continued to launch failing 3s all season.  That’s piss poor coaching.

If you saw how poorly the team shot layups in the first half, you wouldn't be bitching so much about launching 3s that were denting the rim.

The team needs an offensive coordinator and a shooting coach...

...and several more things, but let's start with that if Shaka is already guaranteed to return next year.