Here we appreciate Rockpile/Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds

UTCzech III

Posted a song in the Obscure bands thread that reminded me of Dave Edmunds, which got me thinking about Rockpile.  A supergroup before there was a name - Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Billy Bremner, Terry Williams.  Let's hear some of your favorite bashers!

Another album I had and lost, MaxHorn posted it on his old blog a while back, glad to get another copy of it.

Credited to Dave Edmunds, but as you can see in the video, it's Rockpile:

Again, Rockpile masquerading as a Nick Lowe solo effort (Kind of like Rod Stewart with the Faces):

Edited by UTCzech III

Speaking of Carlene Carter......EASILY her best song.    Easy From Now On.    
Check out Albert Lee in her band.    I'm surprised she lived through her years with Howie Epstein after she and Nick Lowe split.  She can still sing though.    There are some live shows from Paste that are pretty good.  It is really hard to recognize her.  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

When I had a DJ service in the mid 80s, we always played this at the wedding reception/dance.  Mixed reactions......

Was listening to that earlier, think I'm gonna send it to my son later and see if he can play along with it, would love to do it with my band, could even slow it down and give it a country feel.  I love Dave's version of it, grabs more of the Chuck Berry vibe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

And a little background about that solo on "Sweet Little Lisa"  (fuck....won't let me embed this one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Rx-zaBjow

I'd never seen that clip, so thanks for posting it, Hulla.  Lotta talent in that room, and you can tell they were all blown away by Lee's guitar playing.  Nick Lowe was just about speechless, it looked like.

• Like 1

That is one of my favorite things on youtube.  I'd love to see the entire documentary.  I love how Nick Lowe says "Listen, you've obviously read my pamphlet on this guitar playing".   And watching everyone else in the room be blown away during the session.  

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

That is one of my favorite things on youtube.  I'd love to see the entire documentary.  I love how Nick Lowe says "Listen, you've obviously read my pamphlet on this guitar playing".   And watching everyone else in the room be blown away during the session.  

Yeah, Lowe's comment cracked me up.  I liked Lynott's reaction to Lee's playing as well.

I don' t know why I get a kick out of thinking about Huey Lewis hanging out with Thin Lizzy, Lowe, Edmunds, Elvis Costello et al back in the late 70's.  Seems like a fish out of water...
Hehe. As far as I can tell, he is the only American in that studio. I think Costello originally latched on to him because if his harmonica playing

5 minutes ago, hullabelew said:
10 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:
I don' t know why I get a kick out of thinking about Huey Lewis hanging out with Thin Lizzy, Lowe, Edmunds, Elvis Costello et al back in the late 70's.  Seems like a fish out of water...

Hehe. As far as I can tell, he is the only American in that studio. I think Costello originally latched on to him because if his harmonica playing

Had to be, because I can't imagine what they would have thought when this guy walked in the room, Huey the Hippie!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hullabelew said:
3 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

The band Huey was in at the time, Clover, toured with Thin Lizzy, Graham Parker, and other bands over in England in the late 70's.  Huey played harp on a Thin Lizzy album.  And four of the guys from Clover backed up Costello on his first album, My Aim  is True, which was recorded in '76-'77.  (Given that EC was doing the singing, there was no need for Huey's vocals.)  So while I agree that, as Czech noted, Huey kinda seems like a fish out of water, his presence in a studio with those particular artists and at that particular time probably shouldn't surprise us.  I read a chunk of Costello's biography a while back, and he was very complimentary toward the guys in Clover, most of whom later were part of "the News" behind Huey.  I think the only guy who played on the My Aim is True album who didn't go on to officially be part of Huey Lewis and the News was John McFee, but even he played on a couple of their albums, including Sports, which went mega-platinum.  All sorts of connections, many of which I'm sure I don't know about.       

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

My favorite Nick Lowe moment was grounded in scorn . . . it was a big 1990's SXSW bill where the hipsters couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the guy until he started playing a shit ton of his hits, including "That Elvis Costello Tune".

Dumbasses.