Basketball team starting to come together

Barry_McCokiner

14 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Great game guys. Enjoy the night and then get ready for the finals. The NIT has been huge for the kids and could pay dividends next year.

lulz we have to replace our top three scorers next year in Roach, Osetkowski, and Hayes but yeah it’s really starting to come together /s

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

So you’re saying Shaka is getting a contract extension?

No. I am saying that the kids have worked hard this season and despite the fact that it didn't turn out like many fans felt they were entitled to,  they still have a chance to win the NIT and despite what many of the board experts think, thats big for these kids and can  be a positive going into next year. My comment has nothing to do with the coaches.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, realgreggym said:

No. I am saying that the kids have worked hard this season and despite the fact that it didn't turn out like many fans felt they were entitled to,  they still have a chance to win the NIT and despite what many of the board experts think, thats big for these kids and can  be a positive going into next year. My comment has nothing to do with the coaches.

Sometimes when you post, I get the feeling that you're not really a gymnasium.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Replacing Roach is a net positive. 

Truth.

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

lulz we have to replace our top three scorers next year in Roach, Osetkowski, and Hayes but yeah it’s really starting to come together /s

The first is an idiot 

The second, everyone here fucking hates

The third hasn't played during this entire NIT run

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Truth.

The first is an idiot 

The second, everyone here fucking hates

The third hasn't played during this entire NIT run

Osetkowski is an enigma. People would probably have a better impression of his time here if we didn’t use him like he was a small forward. That being said, he does a lot of the dirty things well, like offensive rebounds and steals ( he leads our team by a pretty hefty margin in both categories). I just wish he consistently played with more confidence. He could’ve been a fan favorite.

You just don't expect to walk into Madison Square Garden and beat the #69 team in the country!

My guess is that the final on Thursday night eclipses the #1 most viewed TV event of all time!

Good to see the team running on all cylinders, who knows what the ceiling is for the rest of the season?

I can't be any prouder of this team.  I mean it's destiny.  Tell me when the "Dream of '19" DVD comes out, I hope it's narrated by Matthew McConaughey.

By all accounts, this has been a wildly successful season.   It's amazing to watch them steamroll over YMCA's best!11112@@11111!!!!

36 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Didn't someone post something about P5 NIT finalists not doing shit the next year over the past handful of seasons?

You don’t get it, rickyspub. ITS FOUR HTE KEDZ! it will build momentum!

Funny enough, the most prescient thought gregggym has shared on the topic is his comment below, except it doesn’t apply to the audience he intended. 

9 hours ago, realgreggym said:

You probably shouldn't post about things you know little about.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You don’t get it, rickyspub. ITS FOUR HTE KEDZ! it will build momentum!

Funny enough, the most prescient thought gregggym has shared on the topic is his comment below, except it doesn’t apply to the audience he intended. 

Funnily enough, Walden Ponderer had already posted a list of NIT champs from the past decade on the Fire Shaka thread and indeed there was little there to suggest winning the NIT says anything positive about a team's trajectory. None of the winning programs from a P5 conference has gone on to win their conference or be a consistent player at the national level. 

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

Funnily enough, Walden Ponderer had already posted a list of NIT champs from the past decade on the Fire Shaka thread and indeed there was little there to suggest winning the NIT says anything positive about a team's trajectory. None of the winning programs from a P5 conference has gone on to win their conference or be a consistent player at the national level. 

Didn't South Carolina get to the NIT finals the year before their Final Four run?

I mean that said, fire Shaka on Thursday night either way.

I hope Sally baked up a batch of her finest cookies and mailed them straight to MSG.  Orange slices for everyone!!!

Meanwhile, "the richest program in the nation" is hiring a legit college basketball coach.  At least we can pretend we don't give a shit about basketball, except for the true fans like greggym.

6 minutes ago, rickyspub said:
12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Funnily enough, Walden Ponderer had already posted a list of NIT champs from the past decade on the Fire Shaka thread and indeed there was little there to suggest winning the NIT says anything positive about a team's trajectory.

Neither of these things are funny.

6 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Yeah,that was the whole point of my post...

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Didn't South Carolina get to the NIT finals the year before their Final Four run?

I mean that said, fire Shaka on Thursday night either way.

The point is that there is no trend to suggest winning the NIT points to consistent, long term improvement. We are back to just blind hope that Shaka is the next Jay Wright marinating one more year before his breakout.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah,that was the whole point of my post...

I was wrapping in the point that greggym seems to think getting to the NIT finals is going to catapult us to great things, even as we lose all our pathetic offensive 'weapons', when the evidence suggests otherwise.

38 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

The point is that there is no trend to suggest winning the NIT points to consistent, long term improvement. We are back to just blind hope that Shaka is the next Jay Wright marinating one more year before his breakout.

I was wrapping in the point that greggym seems to think getting to the NIT finals is going to catapult us to great things, even as we lose all our pathetic offensive 'weapons', when the evidence suggests otherwise.

Not that any of you can understand this but every team is different. Next year, we will be primarily juniors and sophs and playing in the NIT has been a great experience and that experience could help next year. I could care less about trends.  And of course, there are no guarantees. There are no guarantees that Calipari's next recruiting class will win the NCAAs. Coach K couldn't make the final four with Zion.

And Burt, my comments were directed at the right audience.

• Like 1

From another site . . . here's a look at how the NIT champions over the last 5 years fared the following season:

2014 Champion Minnesota: 18-15, no tourney bids
2015 Champion Stanford: 15-15, no tourney bids
2016 Champion George Washington: 20-15, 2nd round loss CBI
2017 Champion TCU: 21-12, 1st round loss NCAA
2018 Champion Penn State: 14-18, no tourney bids

5 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Not that any of you can understand this but every team is different. Next year, we will be primarily juniors and sophs and playing in the NIT has been a great experience and that experience could help next year. I could care less about trends.  And of course, there are no guarantees. There are no guarantees that Calipari's next recruiting class will win the NCAAs. Coach K couldn't make the final four with Zion.

And Burt, my comments were directed at the right audience.

Damn, anything can happen. That's the lazy man's approach and all of us understand that. Hornsfans is the place for people who don't want to talk about evidence but just want to assume next year is the year. The evidence, I am not sure why you can't understand that, doesn't point to anything positive about next year's team based on winning the NIT. 

Your argument boils down to, 'I am a sunshine pumper, so shut the fuck up!' If you have something better than that, then bring it. We can all hope, but after 4 years, many of us have cut bait on the program under Shaka.

8 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Damn, anything can happen. That's the lazy man's approach and all of us understand that. Hornsfans is the place for people who don't want to talk about evidence but just want to assume next year is the year. The evidence, I am not sure why you can't understand that, doesn't point to anything positive about next year's team based on winning the NIT. 

Your argument boils down to, 'I am a sunshine pumper, so shut the fuck up!' If you have something better than that, then bring it. We can all hope, but after 4 years, many of us have cut bait on the program under Shaka.

greggym's arguments usually boil down to "I played basketball at Texas; therefore I have a unique perspective on running a program which you plebes will never understand because you've never played or coached big-time college basketball."

In other words, the antithesis of what Surly/Shaggy stands for when it comes to sports discussion.

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Folks let's stay focused on the task at hand - tough matchup with juggernaut Lipscomb Thu night coming up. This is the kind of program changing win we've been looking for. 

We can laugh all we want, but we are still a program that has only been to one NCAA Final Four since the end of the Korean War and 4 Elite Eights since the fall of the Berlin Wall. 

This is actually pretty fun. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We can laugh all we want, but we are still a program that has only been to one NCAA Final Four since the end of the Korean War and 4 Elite Eights since the fall of the Berlin Wall. 

I'll say this - if this were the 2017 team (the freshman Jarrett Allen + Andrew Jones squad with no point guard where we replaced most of the 2016 roster) making a run to the NIT championship, I would have actually been a little excited about building momentum for next season.

Instead, this is the 2019 team that should have at least been a low single-digit seed in the real tournament, and it's hard to find any long-term optimism.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Other than maybe the lack of tradition and fan expectations,  nothing that happened before the U.I.L. allowed high school boys to participate in AAU basketball really means anything in terms of our potential as a basketball program.  Our state literally sabotaged basketball talent in this state until the extremely late 80s. And even when the U.I.L finally came to its senses and allowed AAU ball in the state it took a full decade for the infrastructure, development,  and sponsorship to take course and create fully functioning AAU programs around the state.  This much needed change is exactly why 90% of any NCAA tournament success for Texas schools and universities has come within the last 20 years or so. Shit you barely saw any players who played high school basketball in Texas make the NBA until the 00s. Now the NBA is littered with kids from Texas. 

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

greggym's arguments usually boil down to "I played basketball at Texas; therefore I have a unique perspective on running a program which you plebes will never understand because you've never played or coached big-time college basketball."

In other words, the antithesis of what Surly/Shaggy stands for when it comes to sports discussion.

You're partially right. I do have a perspective that others don't.   Here is a real world example. Say there's a discussion about a trial and some attorneys are discussing the legal merits of the law suit. I will read the comments but won't post because the law isn't something that I am versed on like the attorneys are. Its similar to this thread. I give a damn about the kids. If you want to hate Coach Smart, good for you. I don't understand the cheap shots at 18 and 19 year old kids.

Just now, realgreggym said:

You're partially right. I do have a perspective that others don't.   Here is a real world example. Say there's a discussion about a trial and some attorneys are discussing the legal merits of the law suit. I will read the comments but won't post because the law isn't something that I am versed on like the attorneys are. Its similar to this thread. I give a damn about the kids. If you want to hate Coach Smart, good for you. I don't understand the cheap shots at 18 and 19 year old kids.

Most people here don't take cheap shots at the players, except for  Roach, who has inarguably hurt this team with his poor decision-making on and (more importantly) off the court and deserves to be criticized.

I do think some of the comments on DO are overboard, but that's part of the Surly experience.

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Other than maybe the lack of tradition and fan expectations,  nothing that happened before the U.I.L. allowed high school boys to participate in AAU basketball really means anything in terms of our potential as a basketball program.  Our state literally sabotaged basketball talent in this state until the extremely late 80s. And even when the U.I.L finally came to its senses and allowed AAU ball in the state it took a full decade for the infrastructure, development,  and sponsorship to take course and create fully functioning AAU programs around the state.  This much needed change is exactly why 90% of any NCAA tournament success for Texas schools and universities has come within the last 20 years or so. Shit you barely saw any players who played high school basketball in Texas make the NBA until the 00s. Now the NBA is littered with kids from Texas. 

Great post. Most posters don't know that the UIL prevented students from participating in any outside programs.  That plus the fact that the athletic dept didn't care about hoops until the 80s didn't help either. Again, great post.