Basketball team starting to come together

Barry_McCokiner

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Most people here don't take cheap shots at the players, except for  Roach, who has inarguably hurt this team with his poor decision-making on and (more importantly) off the court and deserves to be criticized.

I do think some of the comments on DO are overboard, but that's part of the Surly experience.

Fair enough. Just stay off my lawn.

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Folks let's stay focused on the task at hand - tough matchup with juggernaut Lipscomb Thu night coming up. This is the kind of program changing win we've been looking for. 

Lot of whites on that team.  Looks more like the front row of a Mumford & Sons concert than a potential NIT champion.

I think the failings with DO were the result of Shaka using him incorrectly (as a focal, run through player)  and allowing him free reign to  be a fat tall shooting guard too often. Near of the end of the season when getting the ball to other players became a focus on offense (Hayes, Febres), DO's rebounding, defense, and selectivity on offense all improved.  He proved he is no Nikola Jokic early last year and Shaka force fed that dream for way way too long.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

greggym's arguments usually boil down to "I played basketball at Texas; therefore I have a unique perspective on running a program which you plebes will never understand because you've never played or coached big-time college basketball."

In other words, the antithesis of what Surly/Shaggy stands for when it comes to sports discussion.

But he played when they used actual baskets instead of nets, right?

I'm flattered by all those referencing my post on the Fire Shaka thread, but I think the fundamental point I was making got lost.

The fundamental point was, there is no fundamental point. Looking at past NIT experience is about as relevant as looking at favorite General Mills breakfast cereals. It has no predictive value one way or the other. Also, fuck Penn State.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

We can laugh all we want, but we are still a program that has only been to one NCAA Final Four since the end of the Korean War and 4 Elite Eights since the fall of the Berlin Wall. 

This is actually pretty fun. 

Perspective: Aggies are envious. 

33 minutes ago, jinx said:

But he played when they used actual baskets instead of nets, right?

I'm not quite that old but every time one team scored, we would go to center court for a jump ball but here is what we used to do with the nets. When we played a team that liked to run, we would use brand new nets that hadn't been stretched yet so every time we scored, it would take about 10 seconds for the ball to go through the nets and that gave us plenty of time to set up our defense. Don't tell anyone.

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Boy some of you slackers are party poopers.

Don't you know we are  on the verge of adding a new banner to the FEC?  🙄

I wonder if it will come with rings for the players and staff?  🙄

100% and $49.99 replicas in the Co-Op! GET YOURS TODAY! 

Can't believe people are trying to ignore what an NIT title means and stands for. Regardless of what the NIT champs did or didn't do the following season, winning the NIT means at the very least that you didn't make the actual tournament. 

Hang the banner. 

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Can't believe people are trying to ignore what an NIT title means and stands for. Regardless of what the NIT champs did or didn't do the following season, winning the NIT means at the very least that you didn't make the actual tournament. 

Hang the banner. 

It means we were the 69th best team if we win and 70th if we lose!   The 68 who made the  NCAA tourney were certainly better than us.    Right?

69....  fits.

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Hang the banner. 

"2019--Didn't Make the Actual Tournament--Hook em' Horns"

Yeah, that has a certain indefinable charm. Can we get hats, t-shirts and bumper stickers, too?

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Other than maybe the lack of tradition and fan expectations,  nothing that happened before the U.I.L. allowed high school boys to participate in AAU basketball really means anything in terms of our potential as a basketball program.  Our state literally sabotaged basketball talent in this state until the extremely late 80s. And even when the U.I.L finally came to its senses and allowed AAU ball in the state it took a full decade for the infrastructure, development,  and sponsorship to take course and create fully functioning AAU programs around the state.  This much needed change is exactly why 90% of any NCAA tournament success for Texas schools and universities has come within the last 20 years or so. Shit you barely saw any players who played high school basketball in Texas make the NBA until the 00s. Now the NBA is littered with kids from Texas. 

To add to this- Texas Western is the only school from Texas to ever win an NCAA title. Seems crazy at first, but then it makes sense the more you think about it. 

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Most people here don't take cheap shots at the players

Bullshit, follow a game thread

Every twist and turn that doesn't go the Horns way has examples of cheap shots against Longhorn athletes by surly "fans"

Let's not pretend being the antithesis of surly poster/posting is a bad thing machinator.

This site isn't sunshine pumping hornfans, for sure. It is certainly the opposite end of the spectrum,a site of rep whoring, trolling, entitled "fans".

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

I'll say this - if this were the 2017 team (the freshman Jarrett Allen + Andrew Jones squad with no point guard where we replaced most of the 2016 roster) making a run to the NIT championship, I would have actually been a little excited about building momentum for next season.

Instead, this is the 2019 team that should have at least been a low single-digit seed in the real tournament, and it's hard to find any long-term optimism.

Damn, you seem entitled.  You expect the team to play at or near their capabilities.  

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

five star thread, would read again. 

This post has held up over time.
the thread keeps getting better & better

1 hour ago, Mossyhorn said:

Perspective: Aggies are envious. 

That really isn't a standard which anyone wants to be measured against..........ever...............in anything

46 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

To add to this- Texas Western is the only school from Texas to ever win an NCAA title. Seems crazy at first, but then it makes sense the more you think about it. 

Yeah but they just exploited a loophole in the rules. 

Once you see your lot is to play in the NIT, way better to win it than not. Good for the team if they succeed in doing so. For that matter, under the circumstances it’s been good for them to make the finals. 

That said, my standard for any team in any sport is that it play close to its potential. Win or lose. In fact, I might be more encouraged by losing a really well-played game against Lipscomb than winning a really bad one by default. We seem incapable of putting solid offense and defense together for the same 40 minutes, so at least coming close to that to wrap up the year would be a positive.

Let’s start with making most of our layups and key FTs. Those are two areas that should always be within our control. More success in those areas would lessen the need for “perfection” elsewhere.

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Boy some of you slackers are party poopers.

Don't you know we are  on the verge of adding a new banner to the FEC?  🙄

I wonder if it will come with rings for the players and staff?  🙄

The banner would've looked nice in the old Anna Hiss gym.