Eagles Announce Vegas Only Hotel California Shows

RPM

Eagles will play their 1976 album Hotel California in its entirety during two concerts at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas later this year.

The Sept. 27 and 28 shows are billed as the band's only North American performances of 2019. Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit will be joined by Vince Gill and Deacon Frey for the shows, as they have been since the 2016 death of founding member Glenn Frey.

Because the Hotel California album clocks in at less than 44 minutes, Eagles will also perform a greatest-hits set at these two shows.

Three of the classic LP's songs -- "Hotel California," "Life in the Fast Lane" and "New Kid in Town" -- were played at each stop of the band's most recent tour and, presumably, at every single Eagles show since the album's release.

As for the rest of the Hotel California songs, according to Setlist.fm, "Try and Love Again" hasn't been performed live by the group since Nov. 5, 1979, at the Capital Centre in Landover, Md. "Wasted Time" was last heard on Nov. 21, 2005, and "Pretty Maids All in a Row" on July 29, 2015. "The Last Resort" was played at each of the band's three 2017 Classic East / West / Northwest appearances, while "Victim of Love" last turned up on July 17, 2018.

Tickets for the Vegas shows go on sale to the public on April 12, with prices starting at $179 (not including applicable service charges or fees.) You can get complete information on various exclusive pre-sales at the band's official website.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Repeat, fuck them for their treatment of Don Felder, especially since egomaniac Frey is now... well, fried.

With the exception of Timothy B, they're all a buncha egomaniacs.  But yeah, Felder got hosed.

"Wasted Time" is such a great song.  I love the Eagles, but the prices . . . and Vegas . . . nope.

I'd pay $20 to hear Henley sing "Wasted Time", though.  And I'd pay a buck a piece for another 20 tunes, their choice.  That's about where I'd top out.  I assume the "fees" (to cover the insane costs of processing a credit card) will add about $75 to the top of that $179 minimum price.  

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

"Wasted Time" is such a great song.  I love the Eagles, but the prices . . . and Vegas . . . nope.

I'd pay $20 to hear Henley sing "Wasted Time", though.  And I'd pay a buck a piece for another 20 tunes, their choice.  That's about where I'd top out.  I assume the "fees" (to cover the insane costs of processing a credit card) will add about $75 to the top of that $179 minimum price.  

My absolute favorite tune.  Pretty Maids being a close 2nd.

So good even with the forgotten words about 50 seconds in...

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Exactly...a friend of mine killed herself in the early 80s.   Every time I hear that song, I think of her because she always loved that song....and it came out fairly prophetic.  

I also really liked "The Last Resort".

34 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

nostalgia is a profitable business.

People will come, Ray. They’ll come to Vegas for reasons they can’t even fathom. They’ll turn into the MGM, not knowing for sure why they’re doing it. They’ll arrive at the door, as innocent as children, longing for the past. “Of course, we won’t mind if you listen,” you’ll say, “It’s only $180 per person.” And they’ll pass over the money without even thinking about it, for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they’ll walk off to their seats and sit in their Hawaiian  shirts on a perfect evening. And find they have reserved seats somewhere in the nosebleeds where they sat when they were children. And cheer their heroes. And they’ll watch the concert, and it’ll be as they’d dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they’ll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, Ray. The one constant through all the years Ray, has been pop rock. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It’s been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But pop rock has marked the time. This band is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. Oh people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I like a lot of Eagles songs, but I would never go see them live.

'94 tour was one of the best concerts I ever saw.  Incorporated some of their individual work, too, Funk 49 brought down the house.

But now that they're dying, you missed the window.

Edited by clapclapclap

Saw them last year in Houston and it was a fantastic show.  Would see them in Vegas if I happened to be there.  Ya the price is high, but it would probably actually limit my gambling losses to go see a concert for a few hours.  Yes I think they screwed Felder over and I think Frey was a asshole.  But seeing Joe Walsh was awesome.

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

'94 tour was one of the best concerts I ever saw.  Incorporated some of their individual work, too, Funk 49 brought down the house.

But now that they're dying, you missed the window.

Yeah, I was 9 and they were in their 40's so it's apples to oranges.

Edited by Al_4_ISU