Joaquin Phoenix as Joker

Jograves

I'm remembering how completely wrong it felt when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman. And he ended up owning that role for the better part of two decades.

Let the comedy guy do the story; especially with Joaquin Phoenix as his trigger man. Joaquin Phoenix finds new ways to be creepy like most of us find the remote under the sofa cushions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

(1) Is it me, or is this a King of Comedy remake right down to <wink> <wink> DeNiro as Jerry Lewis equivalent and the mommy issues?

Holy shit! Not just you. I can't unsee that, now. It looked familiar. 

1 hour ago, Finkle_Is_Einhorn said:

I predict a Kaiser Soze type ending where we are left not knowing if this is his true backstory and the joke is on us for watching it for two hours thinking we would get it. I would be okay with that.

Watched it a couple of times, and I keep getting a Taxi Driver vibe.  

15 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

it looks like this is set in the 80s?

things were a bit different in new york in the 80s. i could see some of the bullying in the trailer actually being not as heavy handed as it appeared, given that setting. 

and of course the joker has mommy issues.

this is gotham

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Watched it a couple of times, and I keep getting a Taxi Driver vibe.  

This. Character study of watching a man slip into insanity. And throw in the King of Comedy nod plus De Niro's cameo and this is looking like Todd Phillips' homage to Scorsese.

35ad46ac0f87ed93f2afaf5e06555a2a.gif

Todd Phillips has talent, so I’d be surprised if the movie’s pacing is a problem. Looks like a real movie and not a cartoon. Good for adults, but the lack of popcorn mindlessness will affect box office. Still, with an estimated budget of $55m, it should be fine.

Not sure I saw any bullying. Looks like he’s been a victim of multiple aggravated assaults and robbery.

Here’s my hope: that entire trailer happens in the first 20 minutes.

JP does not appear to be the right fit for this role. I don’t think is face shape is right. His smile is off.

But mommy issues seems like the wrong seed for jokers dysfunction.

10 hours ago, Finkle_Is_Einhorn said:

I predict a Kaiser Soze type ending where we are left not knowing if this is his true backstory and the joke is on us for watching it for two hours thinking we would get it. I would be okay with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's a good prediction.  It would be a nice way to tie back in to the Dark Knight with Ledger just making up backstories whenever he spoke.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think that's a good prediction.  It would be a nice way to tie back in to the Dark Knight with Ledger just making up backstories whenever he spoke.

this is my favorite joker scene ever:

"do i  really look like a guy with a plan? you know what i am? i'm a dog chasing cars. i wouldn't know what to do with one if i caught it."

so awesome.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Folks excited..... hope you enjoy it.

JP as Joker just not the right fit.... Heath Ledger will always be The Joker for me..... RIP HL

This is exactly what people were saying on the internet before they actually saw Ledger's performance as the Joker.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

This is exactly what people were saying on the internet before they actually saw Ledger's performance as the Joker.

When I heard Danny deVito was going to be the Penguin, I felt the same way. Then I saw the movie. Best movie villain ever in the history of movies or villains.

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

this is my favorite joker scene ever:

"do i  really look like a guy with a plan? you know what i am? i'm a dog chasing cars. i wouldn't know what to do with one if i caught it."

so awesome.

No one else has ever vanished into a role that well IMO. Just remarkable. 

I spoiled the pencil scene for my wife when it first came out. She’s never forgiven me. 

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

For me it's not about the acting of JP....

I've just seen too many other memorable JP performances.... unfortunately for me I just see JP in clown make-up, not the Joker. 

For those that are excited about JP as Joker, I really hope it's a great performance that y'all enjoy a lot.

18 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m going to make a bold prediction. No matter how the movie is, Drew will like it.

I have not liked movies lately.  But typically, all a movie needs to be is entertaining.  I'm really easy to please when it comes to movies.

Not sure why Surly has to act like a movie needs to be a work of art to be liked.  Y'all the same people that say Revenant was rewatchable, when it was just a really good well done movie, that seeing one time was more than enough(There Will Be Blood and Blade Runner 2049 fall in this category) and shit all over fun movies that are instantly rewatchable. 

Just look at how many people "can't fathom watching a Marvel/Comic Book movie".

I have not liked movies lately.  But typically, all a movie needs to be is entertaining.  I'm really easy to please when it comes to movies.

Not sure why Surly has to act like a movie needs to be a work of art to be liked.  Y'all the same people that say Revenant was rewatchable, when it was just a really good well done movie, that seeing one time was more than enough(There Will Be Blood and Blade Runner 2049 fall in this category) and shit all over fun movies that are instantly rewatchable. 

What? Blade Runner 2049 was amazing and is definitely rewatchable. I loved the world they built in it, and it was infinitely better than any DC movie put out since TDK.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

I have not liked movies lately.  But typically, all a movie needs to be is entertaining.  I'm really easy to please when it comes to movies. Not sure why Surly has to act like a movie needs to be a work of art to be liked.  Just look at how many people "can't fathom watching a Marvel/Comic Book movie".

Sometimes it's about expectations or the unknown..... but you are right that folks have different preferences.

I avoid previews on TV..... prefer to not know anything about any quality movie or show I'm about to see.

On the other hand.... I'm ok with  funny, stupid, poorly acted movies if I know ahead of time that it may not be a higher quality movie or show but the cast is funny.

I hate build-ups for big movies that end up disappointing.... it sucks.  Expectations can sometimes ruin the experience for a viewer.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

What? Blade Runner 2049 was amazing and is definitely rewatchable. I loved the world they built in it, and it was infinitely better than any DC movie put out since TDK.

No, just no. It was a beautifully shot and well acted film that dragged quite a bit and was not any fun(not that it has to be), and isn't really a good rewatch.  I've tried watching it with others and it's just not good in that way.

7 hours ago, Drew said:

drew do us all a favor and shut the fuck up you stupid pussy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

You should. Rupert Pupkin, Jerry Langord, Masha...plus the fucking Clash in a street scene cameo. "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime!"

https://movieweb.com/joker-king-of-comedy-connection-robert-de-niro/

Robert De Niro has confirmed that there is a connection between Joker and Martin Scorsese's 1982 movie The King of Comedy. The first trailer for Todd Phillips' version of the Clown Prince of Crime's origin story dropped earlier today and it showcased Joaquin Phoenix becoming unhinged. It also featured the brief appearance of De Niro's Murray Franklin character, who is a TV show host and something that his character in King of Comedywanted very badly.

Before the Joker trailer was released, DC released the first poster for the movie too. Eagle-eyed cinema fans were able to spot that Joaquin Phoenix is wearing the same jacket that Robert De Niro's Rupert Pupkin character wears in The King Comedy. In the movie, De Niro's Pupkin is a psychopathic comic who is obsessed with a TV host, which is already pretty similar to Joker. De Niro had this to say about the connection.

"There's a connection, obviously, with the whole thing. But it's not as a direct connection as the character I'm playing being Rupert many years later as a host."

While Robert De Niro isn't playing Rupert Pupkin again, he says that he would have been interested in making the direct The King of Comedy connection, had Todd Phillips and the producers made the suggestion to him on the set. That would have been a pretty crazy connection to the classic movie. "But by making this type of film, it is connected in a way, as you'll see," says De Niro. The movie already looks very intriguing and it will more than likely get people into theaters who wouldn't normally go see a comic book movie.

Joker is taking a different approach with the Clown Prince of Crime from what we have seen in the past. We're already getting hints at how Joaquin Phoenix's version of the character is shaped by society with a pretty tough experience, which should make for a pretty interesting rise from the ashes. When the movie was first announced, a lot of DC fans were on the fence about another actor coming in and taking on the role of the Joker. However, that all changed as soon as the first image of Phoenix was released by Phillips.

Now, the excitement is building for Joker with the first trailer having dropped. It's going to be interesting to see the other elements from The King of Comedy make it into the final cut and whether or not Todd Phillips goes all in or just subtle nods. So far, everything seems to be pretty far from subtle, which is definitely a good thing for this type of project. The interview with Robert De Niro was originally conducted by Indie Wire.

17 hours ago, futureman said:

drew do us all a favor and shut the fuck up you stupid pussy. 

Dude actually mentioned me so I respond to him, and you tell  me to shut up?  Maybe you need to go back to jerking it to Mike White Photos.

• Like 1