Joaquin Phoenix as Joker

Jograves

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/10/joaquin-phoenix-cover-story

Phillips, who directed the comedies Old School and the Hangover series, pitched the idea of a Joker movie to Warner Bros. as a kind of anti-superhero film, with practically no CGI effects or cartoonish plots, but instead a dark realism drained of heroics. Phillips had found it increasingly difficult, he says, to make comedies in the new “woke” Hollywood, and his brand of irreverent bro humor has lost favor.

“Go try to be funny nowadays with this woke culture,” he says. “There were articles written about why comedies don’t work anymore—I’ll tell you why, because all the fucking funny guys are like, ‘Fuck this shit, because I don’t want to offend you.’ It’s hard to argue with 30 million people on Twitter. You just can’t do it, right? So you just go, ‘I’m out.’ I’m out, and you know what? With all my comedies—I think that what comedies in general all have in common—is they’re irreverent. So I go, ‘How do I do something irreverent, but fuck comedy? Oh I know, let’s take the comic book movie universe and turn it on its head with this.’ And so that’s really where that came from.”

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

That’s bullshit. I mean you probably can’t make a movie calling main characters “faggot”, but irreverent comedies are released every summer. Judd Apatow is still producing movies with more coming

What was the last "irreverent" comedy Aptow produced or directed?  Anchorman 2?

• Like 2

Train wreck? This is 40? I don’t know. Point is people are making those movies. Seth Rogen produced an R rated comedy this year 

Point is you can’t name any because they guy is right. Funny guys are tired of being accused of offending every got damn group of people in the planet. Who can you make fun of? You can’t be chauvinistic, or say even remotely racist things even in jest, everything is off limits anymore.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

I just want a Hangover sequel to fully explain how Mr. Chow became the person he is when we first see him getting out of the trunk.

And "you gonna fuck on me?" is still one of the funniest lines in cinematic history.

• Like 1

Working half a day on Friday just to see this. Figure a matinee should minimize the odds of a mass shooting. 
What an odd country we live in that I and likely many others are planning an outing to the movies like this /NoCR. FWIW I don’t think there’ll be any shootings at this movie, just because it’s so expected. 

Why does that make this an odd country? People have been ducking out to see all sorts of cool looking movies since there were cool looking movies. Someone managed to follow up The Dark Knight in a way that looks interesting, and that was one of the most popular movies ever. Not odd.

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Woke culture has definitely made it harder to make it in comedy. But I also see some unfunny comedians try to hide behind that excuse as to why they don’t get laughs.

Bill Burr and Anthony Jeselnik, among many others, are doing better now than they were 5 years ago.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Why does that make this an odd country? People have been ducking out to see all sorts of cool looking movies since there were cool looking movies. Someone managed to follow up The Dark Knight in a way that looks interesting, and that was one of the most popular movies ever. Not odd.

I meant that I was planning which showing to go to based on which one I felt was the least likely to be shot up by a gunman. 

15 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Point is you can’t name any because they guy is right. Funny guys are tired of being accused of offending every got damn group of people in the planet. Who can you make fun of? You can’t be chauvinistic, or say even remotely racist things even in jest, everything is off limits anymore.

I don't buy it.  As mentioned already, "Good Boys" is in theaters right now and is a pretty good, raunchy comedy.  There's plenty of irreverent comedy thriving on television and Netflix.  People will watch original comedy that's funny.  The problem with comedy movies is that they're usually either really good and original and become classics, or they're completely forgettable and not usually worth high admission price to the theater.  There's not a lot in the middle.

For every Old School and Hangover, Todd Phillips has a Hangover III and Starsky and Hutch.  Maybe he's not confident he has the magic of the former movies left in his creative tank.

• Like 1

I don't buy it.  As mentioned already, "Good Boys" is in theaters right now and is a pretty good, raunchy comedy.  There's plenty of irreverent comedy thriving on television and Netflix.  People will watch original comedy that's funny.  The problem with comedy movies is that they're usually either really good and original and become classics, or they're completely forgettable and not usually worth high admission price to the theater.  There's not a lot in the middle.
For every Old School and Hangover, Todd Phillips has a Hangover III and Starsky and Hutch.  Maybe he's not confident he has the magic of the former movies left in his creative tank.

I don’t really disagree with this, good take

A complete film.

Outstanding acting. Excellent pace. Dark. Disturbing. I liked that music was so heavily stressed in the trailers and lead-up but was limited in the movie. The style was in the set, camera shots.

The wife hated it. No pics. She was not a fan of the realism. The uncomfortable elements.

• Like 1

Thought it was pretty good. Very bleak. Reminded me of a movie you'd see come out in the 70s, which seemed to be the time frame it was set in. Thought the reveal of Arthur in her apartment was very well done. Gave a great sense of how mentally ill he was. 

• Like 5

I thought it was good. Short of great. I don’t think it will win awards like some press has been pushing, but it’ll get nominated for something.

This history works as the background for the jokers we know. Although, this guy doesn’t seem like a mastermind the way the Ledger Batman was.

32 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The reviews have been horrendous. Not that I care, but I’m surprised they’ve been so bad. Still plan on checking it out either tonight or tomorrow though 

It’s not a fun movie.  There isn’t a lot of comic relief.

It’s really a depressing movie because it has to be.  The Joker is a product of a vicious and cruel society that rejected him from birth. The only thing that brings him joy in the end is lashing out at the horrible world he lives in.  The film does a really good job of humanizing him while still making him terrifying by the end.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So I just tried to go see this movie by myself, and the theater said that they aren't allowing single white men to see it alone? Has anyone else had this happen? I had to go find a kid off the street to come with me so I could get in. Now he won't leave and I'm not sure what to do. 

Chris-Hansen-Take-A-Seat-Meme.jpg

Movie was horrifying, and I don't say that in a negative way.  Like, season 2 episode 1 of The Office (UK), although the Joker is still maybe more likable than David Brent.  There was a lot of hype, and the last joker movie was The Dark Knight, so that's tough to live up to.  I could see Joaquin getting a nod for how much of a one man show this was.  I ignored any reviews or background on what the movie was before I went to see it, and was surprised a bit at the context of the movie.  But... I was on the edge of my seat, was not bored.  I think it was probably a bit shy of great as someone said but was good.  Also yeah, a lot of Scorsese.  Drafthouse was playing Taxi Driver scenes before the movie.  The similarities went beyond De Niro making an appearance.  Man that was a dark fucking movie.

Spoiler

the "love" interest and the unfinished scene there.  also, I figured that a lot of stuff was delusional (and thought they did a good job of setting that up with him viewing the night show), it fucked me up a bit when he came onto the stage and I was thinking we were maybe seeing a delusion of how it went.

also, not sure if i understand what happened with his mom and Wayne.  she did have that picture with the note on it.

• Like 1

Loved it. Agree with the context on momma and the “love” note written on the back of the picture; could go a couple ways but right now not sure how to view it. 

movie will need a second watch. really loved the homages, nice double shout out to heath ledger in last 5 minutes.

i don’t know how joker was originally created way back in the first comic but in the original 1989 “blockbuster”,  it was joker that killed Bruce’s parents? Was that how it always was before that movie came out?

no way JP doesn’t win best actor. Certain little nuances he did in first twenty minutes were really well done. Any other better performances this year?

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Hide contents

the "love" interest and the unfinished scene there.  also, I figured that a lot of stuff was delusional (and thought they did a good job of setting that up with him viewing the night show), it fucked me up a bit when he came onto the stage and I was thinking we were maybe seeing a delusion of how it went.

also, not sure if i understand what happened with his mom and Wayne.  she did have that picture with the note on it.

I thought it was great. Definitely the darkest comic book movie I’ve ever seen. It’s overall gotten good reviews, and while I’m sure tons of women liked it, its interesting to see the stark divide between men & women online. Most men seemed to like it & most women seemed to have hated it. Interesting for a movie that had no commentary on sex/gender at all. 

• Like 1

Basically no female representation in the movie and Joker is the worst kind of creep.  I can see how while.... well adjusted men shouldn't identify with the joker but they may be better able to empathize while women may be more revulsed and not have anything else to attach to.

Spoiler

actually thinking back... there was the woman on the bus with the kid who joker creeped out, and then the woman on the bus being pelted with fries who... joker kinda inadvertently intervened but also creeped out.  mom, neighbor, her daughter, nurse at the end - i think he killed all of them. bruce's wife - dead.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:17 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

That’s bullshit. I mean you probably can’t make a movie calling main characters “faggot”, but irreverent comedies are released every summer. Judd Apatow is still producing movies with more coming

On 10/1/2019 at 4:25 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

Patton Oswalt making the same point:

On 10/1/2019 at 4:30 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

Train wreck? This is 40? I don’t know. Point is people are making those movies. Seth Rogen produced an R rated comedy this year 

On 10/1/2019 at 4:49 PM, Mileslong said:

On 10/1/2019 at 9:04 PM, Helobious said:

Woke culture has definitely made it harder to make it in comedy. But I also see some unfunny comedians try to hide behind that excuse as to why they don’t get laughs.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:36 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah it’s a cop out.  There is no comedy void right now.  

On 10/2/2019 at 8:59 AM, Tom said:

On 10/2/2019 at 11:20 AM, Continental Op said:

I can't have my characters run around saying "nigger" over and over for 90 minutes so it's not even worth making comedies anymore!

On 10/3/2019 at 9:43 PM, Rougarou said:

Or dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City fa....wait.

honestly seems like a topic for another thread, but maybe we have different definitions of "cancel culture"? to me, it isn't what y'all are describing. it's aziz anzari getting his career killed (perhaps momentarily? perhaps forever? one netflix show doesn't make a comeback) over essentially bad sex. it isn't that people would be offended by andrew dice clay or kennison, it's that the offended will actively work to ban comedians from performing and get them blacklisted instead of IMO doing the more "right" thing and just changing the channel/clicking on a different website. and i don't even find ADC very funny at all (but kennison was awesome while alive), but offensive comics like them should be able to perform as long as they can sell tix. or maybe what i'm considering cancel culture is something else entirely.

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Basically no female representation in the movie and Joker is the worst kind of creep.  I can see how while.... well adjusted men shouldn't identify with the joker but they may be better able to empathize while women may be more revulsed and not have anything else to attach to.

Hide contents

actually thinking back... there was the woman on the bus with the kid who joker creeped out, and then the woman on the bus being pelted with fries who... joker kinda inadvertently intervened but also creeped out.  mom, neighbor, her daughter, nurse at the end - i think he killed all of them. bruce's wife - dead.

I don't think he killed the neighbor and her daughter. That was the night before and he didn't kill the other clown until the next day. I think he left her room realizing he invented the relationship and it set him more down the homicidal path

I don't think you can call this a comic book movie. There were no superhero elements to it. It's more a one off movie set in the world where Bruce Wayne eventually becomes Batman. Gotham and the Waynes were just parts in the larger story of Arthur Fleck's decent into homicidal madness. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, achooloco said:

honestly seems like a topic for another thread, but maybe we have different definitions of "cancel culture"? to me, it isn't what y'all are describing. it's aziz anzari getting his career killed (perhaps momentarily? perhaps forever? one netflix show doesn't make a comeback) over essentially bad sex. 

His career wasn't killed though. His Netflix show was pretty successful (if you consider getting greenlit for a 2nd season) and a few months (maybe a year at most) after all that he's back on the road with Dave Chappelle. So he wasn't cancelled at all. He's not hurting for money. 

But, I agree, the story from his one-night stand was pretty shitty. She invited him over and got offended that he wanted sex. It was horseshit. 

Guess I'll go see this movie. Seems weird that everything Ive read about it makes it seem like it really shouldn't be considered in the comic book movie genre or conversations. 

....There was a lot of hype, and the last joker movie was The Dark Knight, so that's tough to live up to.  I could see Joaquin getting a nod for how much of a one man show this was. 

Suicide Squad was forgettable but technically had Jared Leto as the Joker

I think would depend on the 12 year old. There’s a fair amount of stuff that’s emotionally upsetting and then some scenes with fairly graphic violence. Not a lot of those scenes, but definitely graphic. If she comes out thinking that that was the most rip roaring daredevil film she’s ever seen, you may need to submit her to be put on a list.

• Like 1