Joaquin Phoenix as Joker

Jograves

Interesting posts above about the not Joker, and the not comic book portrayal. I thought the fact he was able to make it a not so blunt force trauma to the head about an obvious comic book character, that was it's best angle. Phoenix was brilliant, and while I think Ledgers Joker was amazing, and was Oscar worthy, this portrayal is darker, uglier, and closer to reality.

You feel empathy for this joker, none for Ledger, who was a classic comic book villain, and was funny in his evilness. This character is reality, and puts a mirror up to societies nose, and rubs its face in it.  I Fucking loved it.  I hope if there's a second installment he can maintain that sense of reality, and not have  it devolve into some Tim Burtonesque, BS, ridiculousness.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/9/2020 at 8:10 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Phoenix was brilliant, and while I think Ledgers Joker was amazing, and was Oscar worthy, this portrayal is darker, uglier, and closer to reality.  You feel empathy for this joker, none for Ledger, who was a classic comic book villain, and was funny in his evilness. This character is reality, and puts a mirror up to societies nose, and rubs its face in it.  I Fucking loved it.  I hope if there's a second installment he can maintain that sense of reality, and not have  it devolve into some Tim Burtonesque, BS, ridiculousness.

There were definitely situations with Ledger's Joker where the audience could empathize with his character...

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

Calling this the Joker was an insult because it had fuck all to do with the Joker.  It was a story about a mentally ill man, they just stamped Joker on top of it.  Good movie?  Of course.  But tying it to the Batman universe was stupid.

Also, ambiguous endings are a cop out.  Grow some fucking balls and decide on an ending.  

Just now, PilotsError said:

Calling this the Joker was an insult because it had fuck all to do with the Joker.  It was a story about a mentally ill man, they just stamped Joker on top of it.  Good movie?  Of course.  But tying it to the Batman universe was stupid.

Also, ambiguous endings are a cop out.  Grow some fucking balls and decide on an ending.  

Well...  that's a certainly a theory....

• 1 month later...

I loved it, a helluva lot better underdog story than some rabble like Rudy.  Yes, I know that makes me sound rather deranged.

Phoenix must be part man, part preying mantis with his odd body and creepy movements. Tai chi on lithium. Just an amazing job by him and I was completely into the movie, from the 70’s film stock style to the increasing tension as Arthur both descends and rises. Phillips even casts Travis Bickle as the late night host. 

”You talk-showing to me?” 

Speaking of tension, when the little person tries to exit the apartment, but he can’t reach the chain... and we are left wondering whether Arthur will explode in violence again... holy shit, that was great.

I don’t care about ambiguous endings. I saw what happened on the screen and was entertained greatly. A mature job of filmmaking by Todd Phillips and an acting tour de force by Phoenix. 

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, chikin23 said:

Take away the Joker title/Batman tie in and it's a small indie film that makes 400k in theaters and none of us have ever heard of it.

True, which would have been a shame because it's a powerful movie, and performance that transcends comic book action films.

• Like 2

But then I couldn’t use my , “you talk-showing to me?” line.;)  I think it could be an homage to both DeNiro characters, and Phillips obviously stole the look of the film from Scorsese. I never looked at this thread before I posted, then went back thru and saw all the allusions to King of Comedy, and someone mentioned Phoenix is actually wearing either the same or similar jacket during his appearance on the talk show as Rupert wore in KoC.

I just looked it up, I guess the jacket connection was actually in a movie poster for Joker.in which Joaquin Phoenix is seen wearing the same jacket as Pupkin, but it wasn’t in the actual film. Both characters also wear a red suit, for what it’s worth.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/2/18292261/joker-movie-joaquin-phoenix-new-poster-teaser

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Vito Andolini

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 1:54 PM, Helobious said:

Yeah I re-watched it last week, still loved it. It’s pretty clear it resonates more with people that have dealt with being that depressed/anxious/forgotten person , and not so much with those that haven’t. 

If it doesn't resonate with folks who've never suffered depression or bullying, then they're just not very human.  I've never suffered depression, but had an older kid in elementary school use me as his whipping boy, but that has nothing to do with recognizing, and having sympathy seeing the torment of a fellow human being.

• 1 year later...
On 6/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

but had an older kid in elementary school use me as his whipping boy,

For fuck's sake, it's elementary school, hypothetically speaking you figure out a way to hypothetically incapacitate him, hypothetically get a really good friend to help hypothetically drop him on his head off the fucking monkey bars, and then hypothetically  go find an adult and hypothetically start screaming and crying about how hypothetically "HE'S NOT MOVING, I TOLD HIM NOT TO TRY AND WALK ACROSS THE TOP OF THE MONKEY BARS WHY ISN'T HE MOVING, HE IS ONE OF MY ONLY FRIENDS, IS HE SLEEPING CAN'T YOU WAKE UP HIM?" 

Edited by atomheartbevo

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

For fuck's sake, it's elementary school, hypothetically speaking you figure out a way to hypothetically incapacitate him, hypothetically get a really good friend to help hypothetically drop him on his head off the fucking monkey bars, and then hypothetically  go find an adult and hypothetically start screaming and crying about how hypothetically "HE'S NOT MOVING, I TOLD HIM NOT TO TRY AND WALK ACROSS THE TOP OF THE MONKEY BARS WHY ISN'T HE MOVING, HE IS ONE OF MY ONLY FRIENDS, IS HE SLEEPING CAN'T YOU WAKE UP HIM?" 

Well, time to open up some school accident report files from atomheartbevos days ???

• 2 years later...