Joaquin Phoenix as Joker

Jograves

9 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

His career wasn't killed though. His Netflix show was pretty successful (if you consider getting greenlit for a 2nd season) and a few months (maybe a year at most) after all that he's back on the road with Dave Chappelle. So he wasn't cancelled at all. He's not hurting for money. 

But, I agree, the story from his one-night stand was pretty shitty. She invited him over and got offended that he wanted sex. It was horseshit. 

Guess I'll go see this movie. Seems weird that everything Ive read about it makes it seem like it really shouldn't be considered in the comic book movie genre or conversations. 

It was definitely braked when the news hit and only when people were like “woah, wait, ... you’re accusing him of what?” Did he get a possible second chance A whole year plus after his show was cancelled (or at least it hasn’t come back yet, are there plans for it to come back?). But that “brake” without any kind of possibility for rehabilitation for any action ever in your past is cancel culture imo. I’m open to listening to a counter argument but I can’t think of how that way of thinking is positive for society.  Hell even Bitey McBiterson Marv Albert got a second chance after a few years out of the public eye. He’d never get that now.

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’m taking my 12 year old to this tomorrow. Bad parenting or best parenting?

FWIW, she saw Logan in the theater when it came out.

Damn can’t get below the quote below and I had written a long response but honestly, it’s totally different kind of flick than Logan. The realism and mental aspect could bother them or make them incredibly bored. It’s probably fine, just a flick. 

46 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

I'd advise against it. Just my opinion. Didn't see Logan, but yeah...

6 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Probably to watch movies from home and for free.....  Just a guess. 

Sorry, let me rephrase: Adults with jobs and a little bit of patience still pirate movies? Why?

If you want to see it at home, wait a couple of months and spend $1.50 for a Redbox, or wait a little longer until it's available on one of the dozen cheap streaming services. If you really can't wait that long, spend $10 on a matinee.

Out of the dozens of pirated versions of movies that I've stumbled across over the years, I think I've seen one that was unaltered, DVD quality. No Chinese subtitles or "For awards consideration only" popping up on screen every 20 seconds. I don't know, maybe the quality has improved. Just always seemed like a silly thing to steal.

But sorry for the sidetrack; I'll get off my high horse.

• Like 6

On 10/5/2019 at 9:49 PM, pch said:

Agree.  This tripe, worst movie ever made list.

Remind me to never rely on you for movie reviews. JP was amazing in this, and the ability to move it beyond some one dimensional comic book story line was very well executed.  

The king of comedy references made for an interesting plot angle.  

A quality sequel would  be another story potentially now that  he's made the character transformation.

On 10/5/2019 at 3:41 PM, Celery Man said:

More of a dumpster fire than a movie

Yeah.  Pretty dark movie that some film purists will dote over and over publicize because they like how extreme, graphic, and supposedly artistic this movie is.

While Joaquin has obviously delivered a good performance, dumpster fire is a great description of this movie.

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah.  Pretty dark movie that some film purists will dote over and over publicize because they like how extreme, graphic, and supposedly artistic this movie is.

While Joaquin has obviously delivered a good performance, dumpster fire is a great description of this movie.

Bingo, just not a good movie.

On 10/6/2019 at 8:55 AM, aggie08 said:

Sorry, let me rephrase: Adults with jobs and a little bit of patience still pirate movies? Why?

If you want to see it at home, wait a couple of months and spend $1.50 for a Redbox, or wait a little longer until it's available on one of the dozen cheap streaming services. If you really can't wait that long, spend $10 on a matinee.

Out of the dozens of pirated versions of movies that I've stumbled across over the years, I think I've seen one that was unaltered, DVD quality. No Chinese subtitles or "For awards consideration only" popping up on screen every 20 seconds. I don't know, maybe the quality has improved. Just always seemed like a silly thing to steal.

You sound old. And you suck at the internet.

Locating Blu-Ray or UHD quality rips is not challenging. Most are released months ahead of the official Blu-Ray/streaming release date and some are released before they're shown in theaters.

"why get one a dem pirate movies when you can just wait 3 months and drive up to the redbox at the general store??!!"

"why you need one a dem fancy smart phones? Can't you just wait til you get home to do all yur fancy internet surfin on AOL?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

You sound old. And you suck at the internet.

Locating Blu-Ray or UHD quality rips is not challenging. Most are released months ahead of the official Blu-Ray/streaming release date and some are released before they're shown in theaters.

"why get one a dem pirate movies when you can just wait 3 months and drive up to the redbox at the general store??!!"

"why you need one a dem fancy smart phones? Can't you just wait til you get home to do all yur fancy internet surfin on AOL?"

Nope. Not old. But glad to hear that the quality has improved; I clearly haven't kept tabs. Also, one of your cute little examples technically counts as theft; the other does not. Not that that's a huge deal or anything...I used the shit out of a Limewire account for all my music just like everyone other broke college kid. I just never understood the need to watch a movie for free ASAP by whatever means necessary. It's still going to be new to you whenever you happen to watch it.

I happen to have a few friends who work in Hollywood on pretty big budget movies, and it sure as shit isn't always glorious work for the hundreds of off camera crew. Taking 10 extra seconds to grab a Redbox while I'm grocery shopping sounds or checking it out when it gets to Netflix seems like the very least I can do for movies I actually want to see.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Nope. Not old. But glad to hear that the quality has improved; I clearly haven't kept tabs. Also, one of your cute little examples technically counts as theft; the other does not. Not that that's a huge deal or anything...I used the shit out of a Limewire account for all my music just like everyone other broke college kid. I just never understood the need to watch a movie for free ASAP by whatever means necessary. It's still going to be new to you whenever you happen to watch it.

WTF? By that logic, there's no point in seeing a movie at the theater. Just wait till it airs on your local PBS station in 5 years.

If I see a movie that's well made and worth re-watching, I generally buy it on UHD. Maybe that helps your friends. But if the movie they worked on sucked and they weren't paid well, I'm not the person they should be angry with.

On 10/6/2019 at 8:55 AM, aggie08 said:

Downloading new release pirates seems dumb. Downloading movies that are out of theaters in bluray or 4k quality isn't. 

Joker was good, didn't think it was great. Phoenix is a master as always. I'd reccomend it in theatres to anyone but not sure how much replay value it has. Pretty tedious and dark film to sit through. 

• Like 1

The ending made me question if any of it had happened at all. 

Just like he said to the social worker that he didn't know if he even existed.

This is a well done, complete, and ambitious work, but it is easy to see how some would not appreciate it as so.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 1

Saw it this morning in 35mm at Drafthouse. My film snob review includes the following opinions:

• Fine cinematography. Director Phillips crafted many memorable images
  • Phoenix did a nice job, however I think I may need to have a lung x-ray after so many shots of him inhaling Pall Malls. I detest lazy crutch props incorporated by actors/directors. 
  • Joker reimagined as a cross between Rupert Pupkin and Travis Bickle = lazy

Very "meh" to me. It felt like JP was given the task of just being "brilliant" while being told to channel De Niro at his mid-late '70s acme. By the start of the 3rd act I was actually starting to nod off & wishing I was at home watching Taxi Driver or The King of Comedy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

The ending made me question if any of it had happened at all. 

Just like he said to the social worker that he didn't know if he even existed.

This is a well done, complete, and ambitious work, but it is easy to see how some would not appreciate it as so.

If you're looking for typical Marvel comics, this ain't it. It's dark, disturbing, and his portrayal is more real than comic book even with the face paint.  

He's damned good in this movie. It doesn't have car chases or explosions or T&A. It's about dialog, and a portrayal of a fall into insanity, and societies role and dis interest in that fall.  The violence/action is there, but it's secondary to the character story being told.

I think it happened.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It's really not, but we were wanting to see something a little different, and it definitely did just that. I'm not on Tapa, so I don't know how to put a spoiler tag, but for those who have also seen it, I have a few questions. 

Yep very different, and it did leave some things to the viewers imagination, which is good IMO.  The son and I saw it, and he enjoyed it as much as I did. He wasn't expecting the marvel villain movie either which may affect some peoples likes or dislikes.

Get away from the whole Joker characterization, and it's just a very dark movie about a social fringe dweller.

• Like 2

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep very different, and it did leave some things to the viewers imagination, which is good IMO.  The son and I saw it, and he enjoyed it as much as I did. He wasn't expecting the marvel villain movie either which may affect some peoples likes or dislikes.

Get away from the whole Joker characterization, and it's just a very dark movie about a social fringe dweller.

Exactly. That's how the wife and I went into it. Just wanting to see something different, and it delivered. I love how it leaves the viewer with questions. Sucks we can't talk more about it here for awhile, but yeah, you and I are on the same page. 

34 minutes ago, Drew said:

Sooo...I'll like it a lot.  Or think it's meh when I go tonight.  Awesome.

Expectations going in can affect your like or dislike IMO.  It is not, I repeat NOT a typical Marvel or DC comics story line or character vehicle.

The colorful clothes, and clown make up are just crazy color in a very dark, disturbing story.

It’s grim. And there’s pretty much no comic relief. It made me uncomfortable and that doesn’t happen too much in the movies.

I didn’t like the way they kind of let him off the hook because he was mentally ill and abused. They also made him a cartoonish victim of society. TDK’s Joker was more fun because he was unhinged but not a victim. JP’s Joker was just tragic and as a result there was an exploitative aspect to the movie for me.

JP did a helluva job though and there were moments of real horror. The little scene where he was being fired was one of those moments and felt very Kubrick to me. I also really liked the music.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:13 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

The wife and I just went to see this. Didn't really expect much, but it's a damn good film. I think everyone should see it at least once. 

Spoiler

Same here.  We both liked it, but have been debating this:  did he kill the imagined gf and her daughter?

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:
  Hide contents

Same here.  We both liked it, but have been debating this:  did he kill the imagined gf and her daughter?

My personal opinion is yes, but I think it was left to be interpreted by the audience as whatever YOU want to believe. Fuck I wish I knew how do a spoiler tag. 

I liked it but it was missing something...

Spoiler

Okay, we got to know all about how Joker went mad. But I would also like to know what makes him so dangerous. 

It seemed kind of fortuitous, so to speak, that Arthur lost his shit while Gotham was brooding powder keg of malcontent. A riot was bound to break out, and Arthur was just the inflection point that set it off. But was he particularly brilliant, cruel, or devious? Maybe. But we didn't see any of that.

What makes him the greatest villain? We got more of that from Ledger.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Did we have much of an explanation of why he got a gun in the first place?  I think that predated his getting jumped by the kids in scene 1, but maybe it did not?  Either way, I think it is revealing that he spoke to the... social worker about spending his entire life not being sure if he even existed.  He was crazy but fairly harmless, he had a gun (because he got jumped? because he was already toying with "making himself known" or otherwise being able to wield power or whatever?).  He got into an altercation (because of his crazy nervous laughter tick) and blew away some douchebags who were beating on him.  The city was festering and latched onto that, making it into something more than just a semi-random act of violence but instead a volley in class warfare.  He's on the news, people are wearing clown masks, people are talking about what he did.  His entire origin story that he's known is called into question - first making him more significant (illegitimate son of leading industrial baron) and then less (adopted child of a batshit crazy woman who chained him to a radiator and allowed him to be tortured by her boyfriend).  Meanwhile his idol and father he never had makes him a laughingstock, makes his dream into a cruel joke - both the dream of being a stand up comic and his literal fantasy of the guy liking him and pulling him out of the crowd in a loving manner.  And the cops are closing in and his meds are cut off and he's lost his job and killed his mom and his fantasy girlfriend uh... yeah he killed her and her daughter.  It's kinda all there, although it's not really clear why specifically he reacted that way to those things.  What is the nature of his... tick?  Is there something that was inherently wrong with him or is it... munchausen by proxy?  Was his mom actually insane or did Wayne ruin her to protect his reputation?  Did everything at the end really happen as we saw it?  Kinda part of the movie, I think.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Celery Man said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Did we have much of an explanation of why he got a gun in the first place?  I think that predated his getting jumped by the kids in scene 1, but maybe it did not?  Either way, I think it is revealing that he spoke to the... social worker about spending his entire life not being sure if he even existed.  He was crazy but fairly harmless, he had a gun (because he got jumped? because he was already toying with "making himself known" or otherwise being able to wield power or whatever?).  He got into an altercation (because of his crazy nervous laughter tick) and blew away some douchebags who were beating on him.  The city was festering and latched onto that, making it into something more than just a semi-random act of violence but instead a volley in class warfare.  He's on the news, people are wearing clown masks, people are talking about what he did.  His entire origin story that he's known is called into question - first making him more significant (illegitimate son of leading industrial baron) and then less (adopted child of a batshit crazy woman who chained him to a radiator and allowed him to be tortured by her boyfriend).  Meanwhile his idol and father he never had makes him a laughingstock, makes his dream into a cruel joke - both the dream of being a stand up comic and his literal fantasy of the guy liking him and pulling him out of the crowd in a loving manner.  And the cops are closing in and his meds are cut off and he's lost his job and killed his mom and his fantasy girlfriend uh... yeah he killed her and her daughter.  It's kinda all there, although it's not really clear why specifically he reacted that way to those things.  What is the nature of his... tick?  Is there something that was inherently wrong with him or is it... munchausen by proxy?  Was his mom actually insane or did Wayne ruin her to protect his reputation?  Did everything at the end really happen as we saw it?  Kinda part of the movie, I think.

Spoiler

Did you miss the scene in the clown locker room where the fat dude gives him the gun after Arthur got jumped? It was an entire 5 minute scene, mind blowing that you could've missed it unless you left the theatre. Arthur was hesitant to take it but fat guy convinced him too, for protection. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Helobious said:
  Hide contents

Did you miss the scene in the clown locker room where the fat dude gives him the gun after Arthur got jumped? It was an entire 5 minute scene, mind blowing that you could've missed it unless you left the theatre. Arthur was hesitant to take it but fat guy convinced him too, for protection. 

Probably distracted by loaded fries or waiting to get shot in the Alamo (drafthouse).  Yeah weird that I forgot/don’t remember that scene.

Spoiler

"Same here.  We both liked it, but have been debating this:  did he kill the imagined gf and her daughter?"

Maybe it's not crystal clear, but I'd say it's a safe bet that he did NOT hurt/kill them.  She was nothing but a positive element in his fantasies, and even after she found him in her apartment she wasn't cruel to him.  He didn't hurt her because she was nice to him, just like he didn't kill the little guy after murdering the fat guy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TriStone said:
  Reveal hidden contents

"Same here.  We both liked it, but have been debating this:  did he kill the imagined gf and her daughter?"

Maybe it's not crystal clear, but I'd say it's a safe bet that he did NOT hurt/kill them.  She was nothing but a positive element in his fantasies, and even after she found him in her apartment she wasn't cruel to him.  He didn't hurt her because she was nice to him, just like he didn't kill the little guy after murdering the fat guy.

100% agree.