Wicked pitches

luke duke

50 minutes ago, miguelito said:

pitches, not pitchers.

edit: but yeah, all those guys had good stuff.

giphy.gif

i know what the thread title says, and that's what i posted. just because they aren't one at a time doesn't mean they aren't all filthy pitches. hence my referencing Marquez's specific pitches he was using to get k's. his slider isn't a sweeping slider, it's breaks more 12-6 just like his curve, but they are different speeds and not exactly identical breaks. it's impossible to hit when he's on. six or 7 of those 8 k's were on breaking balls in the dirt.

also why the second pedro video is only his changeup, which imo is as good as any other pitcher's best pitch, ever. 

Edited by Goo Punch

In his prime, Adam Wainwright's 12-6 curveball was NASTY.  His height (6'7") combined with the massive break made it look to hitters like it was starting above their head and it would end up at their knees. Nasty.

wainwrightcurve.gif?w=1000

He most famously froze Carlos Beltan (who was hitting everything in sight at this point) in his shoes in game 7 of the 2006 NLCS, sending the Cards to the World Series.

hrlpgo.jpg

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

I was sitting behind the visitors dugout once at the Dome when an Astro threw an eephus (and a real one that started out almost helmet high) and got the batter called out on a third strike with it.   I want to say it was Joe Sambito but it also might have been Joe Neikro.   Niekro makes more sense because he had a damn good knuckleball too. 

Dude walks to the dugout as his teammates are all over him for striking out and he's just yells "Asshole threw a fucking softball pitch at me."    The dugout loses it and the 'Stros who could hear it on the field are crying their laughing so hard.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/30/2019 at 7:43 AM, miguelito said:

Forget hitting those, I don't know how the catchers even catch those.

The one from Jordan Hicks, I guarantee you it ROASTED that catchers thumb. I caught a couple of D1 prospects in high school, and day after games my left thumb was just a black and blue, half-numb mess, because of that late downward movement. The ball enters the glove low on the pocket, and there's nothing you can do about it. And they weren't doing it at a hundo, either.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Luis Castillo has the best changeup I've seen since Pedro in his prime.  Like Pedro, flat-out no one seems to be able to read it out of his hand.

Blows my mind that he has been traded three times.  The Marlins put him in a package for Cashner, only to have that trade recinded because of an injury.  Then: On January 19, 2017, the Marlins traded Castillo, Austin Brice, and Isaiah White to the Cincinnati Reds for Dan Straily.

WTF did the Marlins want with Dan Straily?

Edited by Beau Vine

• 3 weeks later...