Do you think you could beat this player one on one?

hundredTT

Depends on the rules and who the guy is IMO. I used to sort of date a girl who was an all-Pac12 player. She was 5'11" like the player in the video. I'm 6'2" and was a pretty good amateur player. Better than average amongst the pickup games I played in, which was full of quality players. 

We'd go out and play 21 every now and then. Fondren is right re: vertical leap, plus a 3 inch height advantage made it a bit unfair. She struggled to stop me from posting up and I got a ton of boards off of my misses. Her offensive game was primarily post, and she had a hard time against a bigger stronger guy instead of female competition. However she could shoot the lights out and when she did score, she could run off a bunch of points in a row because she'd make her three free throws almost every time and get ball back. I probably won 2/3 when we played. We did have to switch to no tips because that was a big unfair advantage towards me.

The player in the video looks like a significantly better shooter than her, though, and a bit quicker, so I think she'd give most guys trouble. Anyone big enough to guard her would struggle with the speed and anyone quick enough to guard her jumper would probably get worked in the paint.

I think I'd win maybe 1 out of 3 against her in 21, and maybe half in make it take it. Probably the same for any solid amateur that plays regularly.

ETA: In my prime. Now, I'd struggle to guard her for five minutes without needing a break. She'd win 90% of the time.

Edited by BradInATX

1 hour ago, Felix said:

Which ball are we using?  You're going to be more athletic than her, probably quicker, and certainly more explosive, but she'll probably shoot you out of the gym.

I think women should switch to the men's ball.  It would, at least, make it the same game for these comparisons. 

That being said, I think a woman's ball would favor the man even more.  Its much easier to palm, drive, and post up with, and if its really about winning, the male player in this scenario isn't going to be taking many outside shots so it won't matter if he isn't accustomed to the ball.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Depends on the rules and who the guy is IMO. I used to sort of date a girl who was an all-Pac12 player. She was 5'11" like the player in the video. I'm 6'2" and was a pretty good amateur player. Better than average amongst the pickup games I played in, which was full of quality players. 

We'd go out and play 21 every now and then. Fondren is right re: vertical leap, plus a 3 inch height advantage made it a bit unfair. She struggled to stop me from posting up and I got a ton of boards off of my misses. Her offensive game was primarily post, and she had a hard time against a bigger stronger guy instead of female competition. However she could shoot the lights out and when she did score, she could run off a bunch of points in a row because she'd make her three free throws almost every time and get ball back. I probably won 2/3 when we played. We did have to switch to no tips because that was a big unfair advantage towards me.

The player in the video looks like a significantly better shooter than her, though, and a bit quicker, so I think she'd give most guys trouble. Anyone big enough to guard her would struggle with the speed and anyone quick enough to guard her jumper would probably get worked in the paint.

I think I'd win maybe 1 out of 3 against her in 21, and maybe half in make it take it. Probably the same for any solid amateur that plays regularly.

ETA: In my prime. Now, I'd struggle to guard her for five minutes without needing a break. She'd win 90% of the time.

21 isn't really known for playing tough defense.  I imagine if you consistently guarded her outside shot, you would have won every game.  But as a 6'2 amateur player, you might have been more accustomed to guarding the post than guarding the point or the wing.

I also feel you on the 5 minute break thing.  A couple of weeks ago, at 42 years old, a friend and I decided to go shoot around and ended up playing some 20 year olds at 2 on 2.  I felt great for about the first 5 possessions, and then felt like I needed an oxygen tank and a defibrillator.  Winter lethargy is deadly in your 40s.

• Like 1

I agree for the most part, but I coached girls basketball for a while and had some lower division college players as assistants each year from a nearby small college and a high school varsity level man is going to dominate them, but Joe Average pickup game guy is going to have his hands full.

The small ball has it's advantages for sure, but most of those girls at that level can play just as well with the mens ball.

They know how to use their bodies to establish position and, while not nearly as physically powerful or fast as male athletes they handle the ball very well and understand the game better than they get credit for. 

But yeah, any good male basketball player in decent shape is going to win one on one fairly easily.

4 minutes ago, Felix said:

They know how to use their bodies to establish position

Oh yeah they do...

On topic, in my prime I would fucking baptize her. Right now? She would run me off the court after 5 possessions. 

I should get in better shape...

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

21 isn't really known for playing tough defense.  I imagine if you consistently guarded her outside shot, you would have won every game. 

Yeah - easier said than done though. That's sort of the point I was making up above. Those girls who play college ball, as another poster pointed out, play much stronger than their size and use their body and positioning unbelievably well. Anyone who is strong enough to deal  with that (that would be me, relatively tall with a TE build) is going to have a hard time guarding the perimeter. Girl I was referencing could get by me occasionally if I came out too far. I suspect the player in the OP is even faster, which would give someone like me some problems

And the fast pesky defenders that could guard the perimeter are going to have trouble with the post game. 

But I have played with plenty of tall, relatively strong guys who weren't as slow as I am. I always had to guard those fuckers. They'd probably beat her with relative ease the majority of the time.

Edited by BradInATX

On 4/4/2019 at 11:39 AM, BradInATX said:

Those girls who play college ball, as another poster pointed out, play much stronger than their size and use their body and positioning unbelievably well. Anyone who is strong enough to deal  with that (that would be me, relatively tall with a TE build) is going to have a hard time guarding the perimeter.

Nah. Guys are soooooo much stronger and faster. Unless we're talking about like a Britney Greiner no one that hits the gym often should have an issue with any girl inside that is sub 6'2". 

They might play "stronger than their size" but that isn't really saying much.  Girls are built so differently. I'm guessing most girl players would struggle putting up 145 more than once or twice on the bench. 

Now, that said, a 27-28 year old WNBA player that's my height would probably bust my ass. But a 5'11" 22 year old girl is going to struggle against any decent to pretty good male player.

Edited by ztejas

Nah. Guys are soooooo much stronger and faster. Unless we're talking about like a Britney Greiner no one that hits the gym often should have an issue with any girl inside that is sub 6'2". 
They might play "stronger than their size" but that isn't really saying much.  Girls are built so differently. I'm guessing most girl players would struggle putting up 145 more than once or twice on the bench. 
Bench has nothing to do with post game my man. It's all ass and legs.

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Read more  

Bench has nothing to do with post game my man. It's all ass and legs.

Rebounding, shot blocking, scoring through contact, strength on the ball all have a lot to do with post play. 

You can back me down all day long but you aren't getting the ball in the net with your ass.