Electricity plans

We’ve all seen the TXU free nights/solar days commercial. Now they have a commercial/plan where the 7 highest usage days of the month are free. Sounds intriguing, time to check out the details. 

Holy shit. These plans are 18¢ per kWh. They estimate that even with the free 7 days, you will still pay >16¢ on average. 

There are no name plans where you can pay a flat 10¢. Why in the world should you pay 50% extra. Guess commercials ain’t cheap and they count on gimmicky deals.  And dumb people. 

4Change Energy. They donate a small percentage of your bill to one of several charities you can choose from.  My rate is around 8.5 cents for a one year contract.  You can do better if you shop around.  I know guys in the power business who have done month to month deals at spot prices and they have done extremely well in this low energy price environment. 

I have 3,900 sq. ft. with two a/c units and my worst bill in the last 4 years has been just over $200 in the heat of the summer. 

we have a month to go.

No worries.

Tri-Eagle was a great move.  Saved a shit-ton of moullah with them vs our previous providers, one of which was TXU rapists.

I’m sure those txu commercials work well, people hear free electricity and probably don’t even check what the actual rate may be

Until they get the bill and get bent over. I know then their stuck in a plan but the TXU retention rate must be horrible.

I was on a plan for poors with no front $. If I kept my balance over $35, discounted rate. They charged me dailyand sent me a usage/balance text. Set up auto pay to keep balance above $35 threshhold. I liked it, because I never got a huge bill once/month like the one I'm looking at now.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:28 PM, bluto said:

I've been on a variable non contract rate for 6 mos now, no issues at all so far

How does that work in terms of understanding what you will pay each month? If your electricity provider decided to triple your rate, do you have enough notice to switch?

My provider switched the other month, getting rid of the autopay I had set up, and I derped on paying the bill for the first month. 

So I wake up one morning without power, call them and ask why I wasn't given an email notice. Or a call.  

"Oh we send disconnect notices in the mail because of the importance"

In the mail. That's 95% trash (including the disconnect notice, I get my monthly statement over email, so the paper copies go in the trash). In 2019. 

Yes, my fault, but seriously? 

• 1 year later...