The Magicians (Syfy)

EvilCaseMcCoy

2 hours ago, Dr.J said:

The wife and I enjoy it a lot. The show got a lot better once they moved away from/past the book series

Yeah, the book was not bad, but pretty depressing.  I couldn't finish the second book as it was too slow.  When the show ditched the source material, it seemed to really take off. 

Damn, that was masterful visual storytelling. I might have to jump back in. I was out was out after season 1. I really liked that character Marina. Please tell me she's still around?

j/k - I know she's dead.

14 hours ago, ajax said:

Damn, that was masterful visual storytelling. I might have to jump back in. I was out was out after season 1. I really liked that character Marina. Please tell me she's still around?

Reveal hidden contents

j/k - I know she's dead.

Actually she still around.  Multiple timelines and shit

On 4/4/2019 at 4:17 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

fav scene of mine

That episode is some of the best storytelling I've seen in years.  Just a perfect single episode. Episode 9 of Season 3 is also epic.

(Sorry, don't know how to do video)

Yay, I watch it pretty obsessively.  Totally agree that it began to kick ass once they ditched the source material. The female eye candy is off the chain. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I watched Season 1 (admittedly largely for prurient interests in that smoke show cast). I need to revisit clearly - I struggled to follow the story but sounds like it has gotten much better.

The subsequent seasons are much better than season 1.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thanks bad #6.

Admittedly, I was never a hardcore fantasy or comic book consumer, but I struggled with following the plot, particularly the Beast's motives. In fairness, I'm still not completely sure of Voldermort's end game despite numerous lessons from my daughter. Is it fair to say the source material seems like Harry Potter v2? They seemed similar to me.

Definitely adding it back to the DVR.

• Hook 'Em 1

I watch The Magicians only because it's my wife's favorite tv show. Personally I think it's way too cheesy. The overall theme of the show kinda bugs me. The show will take on a dark tone and then switch over to a Xena Warrior Princess type storyline and finish up with a musical, that shit is just odd.

Plus you have that tease Alice sheepishly walking around all innocent looking with those 5 megaton knockers constantly on the verge of being unleashed. It's very distracting. Free the titties!

FYI, Quentin is married to the Marvelous Mrs. Masiel in real life. The dude is punching above his weight on screen and in real life.

58 minutes ago, F250 said:

I watch The Magicians only because it's my wife's favorite tv show. Personally I think it's way too cheesy. The overall theme of the show kinda bugs me. The show will take on a dark tone and then switch over to a Xena Warrior Princess type storyline and finish up with a musical, that shit is just odd.

Plus you have that tease Alice sheepishly walking around all innocent looking with those 5 megaton knockers constantly on the verge of being unleashed. It's very distracting. Free the titties!

FYI, Quentin is married to the Marvelous Mrs. Masiel in real life. The dude is punching above his weight on screen and in real life.

I hung with Season 1 largely because I was waiting for Alice to Naughty Schoolgirl Magician to add some thigh-highs and bustier to her schoolgirl uniform ... utter disappointment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

That episode is some of the best storytelling I've seen in years.  Just a perfect single episode. Episode 9 of Season 3 is also epic.

(Sorry, don't know how to do video)

Yay, I watch it pretty obsessively.  Totally agree that it began to kick ass once they ditched the source material. The female eye candy is off the chain. 

Probably my second favorite scene in the series. They do some amazing things at times...but yes, there are some very cheesy moments.

• Like 1

Stick around for subsequent seasons.  Alice's outfits definitely add thigh highs.

The show really takes off because they move away from the Alice-Quentin-Julia love triangle and focus on the other characters.  Elliot and Margo steal scenes and eventually become the focus.  There's a sly commentary for Harry Potter fans on Quentin's general uselessness in many situations.  They also explore the fiend folio, so to speak, which lends a lot of action and hilarity with various mythical creatures from historical and child hood fiction.

Sure, the show will throw some curds and whey, but it's usually kinda charming.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

What is the deal with the twisted take on the Narnia series? Particularly the really dark retelling of The Magicians Nephew. The story is pretty much the same story but in The Magicians the uncle is a murdering pedo.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Kyle said:

I hung with Season 1 largely because I was waiting for Alice to Naughty Schoolgirl Magician to add some thigh-highs and bustier to her schoolgirl uniform ... utter disappointment.

I never liked Alice. Fun bags, yes but she has perpetual bitch face, not that pretty, and she looked ridiculous waving her hands around doing those spells. She was always such a downer.

I much prefer Marina and Margo. It should have been those two, plus Eliot and the Beast (pretty much all the fun characters) off on their own having merry adventures together. I'm hoping everything after season 1 is like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, ajax said:

I never liked Alice. Fun bags, yes but she has perpetual bitch face, not that pretty, and she looked ridiculous waving her hands around doing those spells. She was always such a downer.

I much prefer Marina and Margo. It should have been those two, plus Eliot and the Beast (pretty much all the fun characters) off on their own having merry adventures together. I'm hoping everything after season 1 is like that.

Agreed. I always though Eliot and Margo were the best characters, and she's the smokest of the smoke shows. Julia's not bad but like Alice, kind of a downer.

I think this will end up being the penultimate season, as they have now removed the heart of the show. Even though he is the boring one, Q was the character that grounded the whackos.

See That 70's Show when Foreman left, Scrubs when JD left, etc. Except those two were actually less depressing than Q. I understand that was because Q was supposed to be a look inside of depression.

1 hour ago, bamachine said:

I think this will end up being the penultimate season, as they have now removed the heart of the show. Even though he is the boring one, Q was the character that grounded the whackos.

See That 70's Show when Foreman left, Scrubs when JD left, etc. Except those two were actually less depressing than Q. I understand that was because Q was supposed to be a look inside of depression.

I'll be interested to see how that plays out as well. I'm fine with shows ending early on a high note, as opposed to dragging on into suckage, like TWD.

I was not expecting that ending, and the way he left, or the campfire.  I was glad that they did bring Elliot there...was worried.  And the fact that OG Penny, of all people, was the one that ushered him to along was poignant.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/8/2019 at 3:28 PM, F250 said:

I went to middle and high school with the actor that played Q.  Didn’t even realize it until I started watching, saw his name, and then did a double take.  Nice enough guy at the time.

just finished S5.  The last few episodes are really good, and it ties the series up well in case there isn’t a S6 (which I view as unnecessary and honestly thought they maybe should have hung it up after 4 if they didn’t include the cliffhangers).  Everything with Julia is boring though because the actress was pregnant in real life and they had to shoehorn that into the plot.

12 hours ago, texasfight2025 said:

I went to middle and high school with the actor that played Q.  Didn’t even realize it until I started watching, saw his name, and then did a double take.  Nice enough guy at the time.

just finished S5.  The last few episodes are really good, and it ties the series up well in case there isn’t a S6 (which I view as unnecessary and honestly thought they maybe should have hung it up after 4 if they didn’t include the cliffhangers).  Everything with Julia is boring though because the actress was pregnant in real life and they had to shoehorn that into the plot.

Wait, you went to HS with Mrs Maisel's husband?

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...