2019 NIT Champions!

Vic Mackey

Happy for the players, especially DO and Roach.

If Shaka does indeed return for next year (which is likely), I hope he takes something from this run other than our athletes being better than their athletes. Because while we benefited from physically overmatching most of the teams we faced, there was an energy and purpose to much of our play that simply wasn't there this season. Bottle that up and get the team to play like that in the games that really matter.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, CycleTex87 said:

Yea Horns.

So what’s the protocol?  Hang a banner?  Buy a t-shirt at the Co-op?  Forget this season ever happened?

Isn't there a banner for the 1978 NIT Championship hanging in the FEC?

I mean, it's better than losing in the NIT. Maybe it's something they can build on. 

Texas joins an elite group of schools with 2 championships including BYU, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota,  Long Island, Ohio State, Penn State, Providence, South Carolina, temple, Tulsa, Virginia, Virginia Tech and WV. 

We can only dream of joining the next tier of blue blood elite NIT schools like Stanford and Dayton who have 3

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I can take some credit for this one guys. I found a monkey paw during the offseason and while holding it I wished that Shaka Smart would be cutting down the nets in April.

But seriously congrats to the team. It was nice to see them put that many winning performances in a row and win a tournament. It is always nice to add something to the trophy case.

We might be champions of this tournament:

sports-fails-gifs-basketball-trick.gif

But hey, we're champions!  Good 5 game run, well, not really, expected wins.  However beating TCU was sweet and they played great.

Anyway, hang that banner in Milton's downstairs office and be proud of it!

• Like 1

winning a tournament isn't easy.  We want to mock this shit, but some pretty decent programs in the 32 couldn't get it done. So it's a big deal regardless of Surly.

The huge positive was the team played well without Hayes. Good sign for next year. 

7 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

The mighty Lipscomb dynasty has finally come to an end.

I'm happy we won something. Mostly happy we kept TCU from winning anything. And I'm sad that Shaka got retained after this shitty season for this consolation prize. It's like two consolation prizes.

We’re a swimming school.  The occasional NIT championship is nice, even if Shaka hangs around. 

• Haha 1