Home Weather Stations

I'm looking for a spiffy home weather station that monitors temp, rainfall, pressure, windspeed, rectal dilation, etc... I live near the Southwest Louisiana coast so I need something that can take a beating from rain and wind, and potentially be ripped free and carried into the eyewall of a Cat 5.

AcuRite seems to be the main player but Amazon reviews are all over the place. I just don't want to spend money on something that's going to break by next summer.

Is anyone into these contraptions?

61sRcknZjoL._SL1500_.jpg

DO NOT BUY ACURITE!!! 

I have had their 5 - 1 station for years, and they just killed off access for a less than a year old wifi bridge. So even though it worked fine, and was still in warranty, they force all users to buy a new $140 model. Not to mention, the new Atlas station is complete garbage. Will not stay connected for more than a week at a time without a hard reset  (requires you to access the station and remove batteries). This has been confirmed across multiple units within my family (just go read the weather forums, this is not an isolated case). We used to have around 10 stations in the Acurite ecosystem around the state, and its just not worth buying from a company that does not value their customers.

Look into the Ambient Weather systems. They are cheaper than Acurite, offer more options, and are still able to connect into WU's PWC network. Looking at reviews, they are just as accurate as the Acurite crap as well. If you do not need a physical screen, you can have their sensor and internet bridge for around $90 bucks.

https://www.ambientweather.com

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

I have the Davis Vantage Pro 2 that has been flawless (other than the anemometer bearing going out) for over 3 years.  Uploaded to Weather Underground for that entire length of time with no issues.  

Yeah, wish I could justify the cost for a Davis.

• 4 weeks later...
I have the Davis Vantage Pro 2 that has been flawless (other than the anemometer bearing going out) for over 3 years.  Uploaded to Weather Underground for that entire length of time with no issues.  

I had a davis vantage vue, would not recommend. One sensor went out and that unit is not modular, have to replace the whole thing. I bought the vantage pro 2 sensor suite and used it with my vantage vue console had it’s been good so far - much better design than the vue.