Hustle Never Sleeps - The Oscar Giles Story

closetojumping

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This thread just provides more barriers to Texas getting top DL talent, as recruits and parents read this complaining. What’s the point here? What’s the objective of this thread? To make you feel better by whining incessantly? The whining is so incessant that now I’m wondering whether some of the views are wrong. In fact
Maybe Giles is the greatest! He did land Ossai. Just like Shaka, he’s turning it around.!

Based on the Shaka comment, this has to be a troll job but I'll bite. BC and Sumlin got us Ossai.

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good to great recruiters: -Beck, -Washington, -Hand (for his squad), -Naivar

Mysterious to decent recruiters: -Meekins, -Drayton, -Orlando (for his squad)

Poor or convince me otherwise recruiters:  -Warehime, -Mehringer

Go fuck yourself, I'm taking a 90 minute grumpy and then passing out for a nap recruiters:  -Oscar Giles

I could hear arguments for or against Orlando and maybe be swayed. Probably the same is true for Drayton. Outside of what 247/Rivals thinks about him, Mehringer sucks. He alienates as many or more recruits as endears. I could understand someone thinking Warehime is at least decent, but I'm not even close to being there yet.

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This thread just provides more barriers to Texas getting top DL talent, as recruits and parents read this complaining. What’s the point here? What’s the objective of this thread? To make you feel better by whining incessantly? The whining is so incessant that now I’m wondering whether some of the views are wrong. In fact
Maybe Giles is the greatest! He did land Ossai. Just like Shaka, he’s turning it around.!

I can't tell if this trolling level is "Zen" or "Voodoo". Either way, well done.

frtrll.gif

29 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'd like to request dedicated threads for Warehime, Meh, and Beck.  Good and bad.  Let's lay it all out there.  

On the recruiting board you wouldn't draw much conversation about Beck, and he's got a thread on the football board.

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

On the recruiting board you wouldn't draw much conversation about Beck, and he's got a thread on the football board.

Right. Someone has not been doing his homework, typical business school prof. Live off past merits and who he knows...

Fuck Wilson but Meh blew that recruitment and Wilson attempted to poison every well he could on his way out of town.

Meh does get credit for Bru but lets be real, he did not win the recruitment and the only reason Bru is here is because of the dumpster fire in LA. We'll take him and on paper it is a win but similar to Ossai being gifted once Sumlin was fired, being 2nd got us the prize.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Most under-rated assistant coaches in Texas history

A. Oscar Giles
B. Greg Davis
C. Jai Lucas
D. Mac McWhorter
E. All of the above.

Who is it

F. Bobby Kennedy 

No one evaluated talent like Bobby. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m no fan of Giles, Mehrhime, or Drayton but thesetwo takes are some pretty absurd overreactions. Herman’s largely running this program at a high level. He definitely has a few blind spots that need to be addressed, but saying things like we’ll get stuck hovering around 10 wins or saying Herman is mediocre and were not in a good place is pretty ridiculous.

We just won 10 games with a team that was largely full of players recruited and developed by the worst coach in program history. We had talent issues, depth issues, fit issues, and a true sophomore QB and we won 10 games, including the Sugar Bowl. A ton of the guys Herman’s recruited look like absolute studs so far, and the talent level of this team rises every year and will take a massive jump up in 2020. In no world does it look like we’ll be stuck around 10 wins for the foreseeable future, nor does it look like Herman is mediocre and we’re not in a good place. 

So why do you think some people have decided to defend Giles to such extremes? I am merely positing that some may want to think Herman infallible and therefore are inclined to think Giles is serving some role in an elite fashion to warrant his place on the staff. I am not sure what else motivates them. The on-field coaching staff is probably the most glaring issues at this point in his UT tenure (hopefully he stops coughing up games to shitty teams as he has done in each of his 4 seasons as an HC).

The program is trending in the right direction, but let's see where it goes first and whether his blind spots, especially on the coaching staff, prove to be his undoing or not. The conference is still owned by OU, though to me perhaps the best thing that can be said of Herman thus far is that it is unlikely his teams will ever lay down to OU like too many of Mack's teams did. However, Herman's brief record shows some of Mack's inability to navigate the full conference slate necessary to winning a conference consistently. I want to see him lock down a conference title this season.

• Like 1

However, Herman's brief record shows some of Mack's inability to navigate the full conference slate necessary to winning a conference consistently. I want to see him lock down a conference title this season.

@rickyspub, in 2 years he's shown clear year-over-year improvement, won an NY6 bowl, and is clearly taking appropriate steps to rebuild the roster. Not sure what more you could have reasonably asked out of him so far in terms of "navigating the full conference slate". 

Obviously, we all have some staff issues (zing), but I think implying he's got real coaching issues is a bridge too far.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

However, Herman's brief record shows some of Mack's inability to navigate the full conference slate necessary to winning a conference consistently. I want to see him lock down a conference title this season.

I think a conference title is within reach if everything goes right. But the roster still has too many holes for it to be considered a total failure if we fall short.

Now 2020, that's a different story.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

It's a reference to something?

Not sure if serious, but as far as I know it isn’t a reference to anything you guys would know about here. My father, and then more recently a buddy of mine, have said it regularly. Just a curt way of framing the reality of trying to climb out of ... dark circumstances. If it originates from something literary or famous, cool, I’d like to know that too. Its irony for an Oscar Giles thread I presumed would be self-evident, which entertained me.

I also pondered “Long is the way, and hard, to which out of hell leads toward light” as the title, but I’ll save that for something that won’t be lost to an audience of miscreants and ne’erdowells.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think a conference title is within reach if everything goes right. But the roster still has too many holes for it to be considered a total failure if we fall short.

Now 2020, that's a different story.

given our current situation, if we don't at least play in the b12cg then it's a pretty major failure.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:14 PM, closetojumping said:

Not sure if serious, but as far as I know it isn’t a reference to anything you guys would know about here. My father, and then more recently a buddy of mine, have said it regularly. Just a curt way of framing the reality of trying to climb out of ... dark circumstances. If it originates from something literary or famous, cool, I’d like to know that too. Its irony for an Oscar Giles thread I presumed would be self-evident, which entertained me.

I also pondered “Long is the way, and hard, to which out of hell leads toward light” as the title, but I’ll save that for something that won’t be lost to an audience of miscreants and ne’erdowells.

ne’er-do-wells 

I come over here expecting academic discourse, and this is what I get?

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

And people say Giles doesn't do shit on the trail. Suck a dick @SydneyCarton

I have it on outstanding authority that Naivar told Giles they were going to Houston for fajitas. When they stopped at Tompkins, he had to sucker punch Giles in the throat and fireman carry him into the coach's offices. Naivar then told a not completely untrue statement to the coaches at Tompkins, explaining to them that Giles simply had a severe allergic reaction to something and that's why he was collapsed, catching his breath. Giles, realizing he was beaten, then went through the motions of actually recruiting and building relationships with high school coaches. This picture was snapped just before Naivar suggested they go visit with some kids next, at which point there is time-stamped security footage at Tompkins of a large, surprisingly still nimble African American man in a black jumpsuit sprinting down back down the empty corridors of lockers on his way to the parking lot on the other side of the school property. When properly motivated, it appears that Giles does indeed have some Hustle. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Per Inside Texas:

Alfred Collins, Princely Umanmielen, and Vernon Broughton are all on the docket for UT's Oscar Giles. He'll likely hit St. Louis and Louisiana for the OOS DL contingencies like Joe Moore (Cardinal Ritter College Prep, MO), Jacobian Guillory (Alexandria, LA), and Jaquelin Roy, University Lab, in Baton Rouge, LA.P

Oscar is "On The Road Again"

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Alfred Collins, Princely Umanmielen, and Vernon Broughton are all on the docket for UT's Oscar Giles.

They basically just named three prospects we should land but won’t because Giles is garbage 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...