Hustle Never Sleeps - The Oscar Giles Story

closetojumping

10 hours ago, George Clooney said:

A friend’s son knows Andrew Fitzgerald and the topic of OG/Herman came up. He had nothing but good things to say about Tom as a coach, though he is definitely corny/goofy off the field. However, he didn’t have much good to say about Oscar as a coach. He said that most of the DL was left confused when he was coaching them. He’s just straight up not good at communicating/teaching technique to the players. To end this on a positive note, Andrew expects the team to do very well this year.

Must be the sink or swim method I used on my daughters when I took them to the pool years ago.. It works.

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Giles has TexAgs worked up.

*images of A&M stupidity*

I always worry that someday A&M alumni, fans, boosters, and administrators will realize that constantly lying to themselves and telling themselves they're great when they're not is what's actually holding them back. That maybe someday they'll recognize that other successful schools have a tradition of demanding excellence from their representatives and that this results in either improved performance or in underachievers being replaced until that performance standard is met. That their preferred method of lying to themselves and overstating actual performance and stature results in holding them back and creating a sense of smug self-satisfaction with actually inferior performance.

But then I remember who I'm thinking about.

• Like 1

Boy. I wish they’d fucking ignore us and go about their business. Sign me the fuck up. But that’s not in their nature. They’re can’t fail to compare themselves to us while demonstrating their “excellence.” Fucking knobs basically tripping and falling trying to find their dicks just to show the rest of us that from the outside we can’t understand it, and they can’t explain it. But it’s a championship penis. They swear.  

• Haha 1

Were I Giles, I'd continue to tweet things that COULD be considered shots at them but only by those living in their world i.e. videos of Longhorns scoring TDs against Aggies etc...  Just to watch the fireworks.   Or maybe the yell leaders and the "Tra La La" video.  Or maybe just this on repeat:

On 4/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, closetojumping said:

Given the frequency of the derails in threads associated with Oscar Giles taking hogger dumps on a repeated basis in various recruitments, I figured why not plunge in with a thread for our very own OG?

Giles is entrenched again at Texas because he's boys with Herman, after spending formative coaching years with Herman as a GA and then with him during his first HC tenure at UH. It's a blind spot for Herman, even though he's had to work to bail out Giles in a multitude of recruitments, or put Carrington on targets in order to sway them. 

"But closetojumping, what about recruits A, B, and C that 247/Rivals said he was the lead recruiter for!!!"

247/Rivals, if they're stating shit like this, are wrong. Carrington, Herman, and Meekins are directly responsible for virtually every DL that Texas has signed since 2017. Meekins landed Oliver for UH. Muschamp, Brown, Wyatt, and Applewhite played fundamental roles in landing Jeffcoat and others during the MB/OG era. Giles was the lead recruiter on K'Lavon Chaisson and misinformed Herman on status right up to the bitter end. OG also did the same with regard to Vernon Jackson in the 2018 cycle. The staff had to scramble on signing day in an attempt to convince Jackson that he could play running back at Texas. Giles was likely napping during the conversations in which Jackson stated this importance in his recruitment. 

"But closetojumping, Oscar Giles is an amaze-balls developer of talent!?!?"

When this argument is made, it usually comes with references to Big 12 DLPOYs in Big Poon and Omenihu. Omenihu, meanwhile, gives a ton of credit to his trainer in Houston, Nathan O'Neal, for his "development". O'Neal works specifically with DLs, and not so coincidentally, Omenihu started working with him last spring. Omenihu had a good season this year, but he wasn't some force to be reckoned with throughout the year. He played well and put up solid stats in a league that doesn't play defense outside of Texas and occasionally TCU and KSU. Any single person taking, or being given, credit for the remarkable journey of Poona Ford is full of shit. But, hey, Giles was around for a season of Ford at Texas. 

In short, Oscar Giles is a mediocrity on the Texas staff. They could do better with an additional coach on the DL that actually does work in recruiting, or they could simply do better with someone else that contributes in recruiting and is comparable or better with developing talent. The notion that Texas couldn't is handwringing saarvanashery. 

But closetojumping, what about recruits A, B, and C that Giles, whoops, errr Carrington, Herman and Meekins, landed?  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Coach G was Hustling... 😂

Roach:  "Pollard-Collins said that she thought the decision was based on location and the relationship Alfred had with Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles. Regardless, she admitted that the decision was a tough one to make. “I want to say it was probably location,” he said. “Just the family. Coach Giles just really developed a relationship. We felt good about it, and he felt good about it. All of the coaches did a great job. The final three did a phenomenal job building relationships with us. It’s not as easy as people will assume it is. I think that final say-so was based on Alfred’s heart.”

Alfred also indicated that he had a strong relationship with Giles. He felt that the Texas assistant was the best candidate to develop him on and off the field. “I just like the way he coaches,” he said. “I like him as a person, and I feel like he’ll develop me to be the best player I can be.” Pollard-Collins was able to meet many coaches during her son’s recruitment, but she said that Giles came across as authentic and took the extra steps to forge a meaningful relationship.

“Coach Giles is real,” she said. “He’s like the uncle. He cares about him. He was really awesome because he would come to his sister’s basketball games. He would take the extra step and that really meant a lot to our family to come and support them and ask his sister how her game went. It was truly about family, and that kind of solidified his focus. It was about Alfred, but it was also about the family itself, so that was something that really stood out.”

• Like 6

On 4/5/2019 at 10:59 AM, closetojumping said:

Given the frequency of the derails in threads associated with Oscar Giles taking hogger dumps on a repeated basis in various recruitments, I figured why not plunge in with a thread for our very own OG?

Giles is entrenched again at Texas because he's boys with Herman, after spending formative coaching years with Herman as a GA and then with him during his first HC tenure at UH. It's a blind spot for Herman, even though he's had to work to bail out Giles in a multitude of recruitments, or put Carrington on targets in order to sway them. 

"But closetojumping, what about recruits A, B, and C that 247/Rivals said he was the lead recruiter for!!!"

247/Rivals, if they're stating shit like this, are wrong. Carrington, Herman, and Meekins are directly responsible for virtually every DL that Texas has signed since 2017. Meekins landed Oliver for UH. Muschamp, Brown, Wyatt, and Applewhite played fundamental roles in landing Jeffcoat and others during the MB/OG era. Giles was the lead recruiter on K'Lavon Chaisson and misinformed Herman on status right up to the bitter end. OG also did the same with regard to Vernon Jackson in the 2018 cycle. The staff had to scramble on signing day in an attempt to convince Jackson that he could play running back at Texas. Giles was likely napping during the conversations in which Jackson stated this importance in his recruitment. 

"But closetojumping, Oscar Giles is an amaze-balls developer of talent!?!?"

When this argument is made, it usually comes with references to Big 12 DLPOYs in Big Poon and Omenihu. Omenihu, meanwhile, gives a ton of credit to his trainer in Houston, Nathan O'Neal, for his "development". O'Neal works specifically with DLs, and not so coincidentally, Omenihu started working with him last spring. Omenihu had a good season this year, but he wasn't some force to be reckoned with throughout the year. He played well and put up solid stats in a league that doesn't play defense outside of Texas and occasionally TCU and KSU. Any single person taking, or being given, credit for the remarkable journey of Poona Ford is full of shit. But, hey, Giles was around for a season of Ford at Texas. 

In short, Oscar Giles is a mediocrity on the Texas staff. They could do better with an additional coach on the DL that actually does work in recruiting, or they could simply do better with someone else that contributes in recruiting and is comparable or better with developing talent. The notion that Texas couldn't is handwringing saarvanashery. 

LOL