Late Night Political Talk Shows

RPM

Great piece last night from John Oliver on the sorry state of death investigations/coroners/medical examiners in America.

I love when he does “regular” politics but I think he’s really in his element on stories like this and the opioids one and lethal injection one.

And the next time some yokel starts yammering about privatizing a government function, I’m pointing them in the direction of the idiot in this story.

That fucker need to be behind bars.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Maher was good tonight. Lawence Wilkerson was on the panel and I really liked what he had to say. Can't link video right now but it's on YouTube. He gets it and it gave me a little hope.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, I considered posting that clip in one of the weather threads, because -- for nonpolitical reasons -- others have bitched about services like Accuweather in the past. Then, it got to the Trump connection and thought better of it. It's definitely worth viewing though for anyone who gives a shit about scientifically accurate weather data.

Edited by bolverk

Wow! That was a great take on NOAA. I've used the NWS website for many years and push people towards it since it really doesn't take too much fussing to tailor it to your needs. I ALWAYS point out to them that 'your tax dollars pay for this,' because they do. I have a lot of friends who travel and run marathons, etc and it has been a great boon to the American people. (and NWS graphics are waaaay better).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, RPM said:

Seth Meyers halted production today due to Corona, but they already had A Closer Look ready to go. So here's what would have aired.

Timely bump. I was going to look to bump it because Colbert ran his first show without an audience tonight. Apparently all the NY late night talk shows will be shot without an audience starting Monday. The Late Show decided to start with that this afternoon so they aired the rehearsal. There were just a handful of staffers in the "audience" and the band was in street clothes. The only guest was Dr. Sanjay Gupta and he did a solid job. It was a very good show. Colbert's an innovator and I'm looking forward to seeing how he adapts to the no audience format. More music from Jon Batiste and Stay Human (best band on late night tv) wouldn't suck. 

• Like 1

I guess all those shows are taking a hiatus? Makes sense. I must've misunderstood Colbert. I'd selfishly like to see continued programming without an audience and with a skeleton crew, no pun intended. But given how John Oliver won't even use his offices or studio because of positive cases of coronavirus, that's obviously wishful thinking. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

But given how John Oliver won't even use his offices or studio because of positive cases of coronavirus, that's obviously wishful thinking. 

He didn't have a choice. CBS shut the building down. It was impressive they were able to produce a shortened show given the amount of research and writing involved. Oliver could do his part of the show out of his garage, but he has to have the staff to write/produce. 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

He didn't have a choice. CBS shut the building down. It was impressive they were able to produce a shortened show given the amount of research and writing involved. Oliver could do his part of the show out of his garage, but he has to have the staff to write/produce. 

And that's a good thing. I wasn't suggesting it was John personally who said, "Fuck that! I'm not going to do a show in that infested shithole! I'm just not! And now, this..."

• 2 weeks later...

No link yet, but John Oliver just fucking killed tonight. Did a show from home and while low on frills, was heavy on content. Also, he's searching for a painting of 2 rats fucking if you know who owns it.

2 hours ago, RPM said:

No link yet, but John Oliver just fucking killed tonight. Did a show from home and while low on frills, was heavy on content. Also, he's searching for a painting of 2 rats fucking if you know who owns it.

• Like 1

The Colbert/Conan crossover shows were interesting. Funny to see which jokes got cut by which show. Apparently CBS wasn't interested in the lineage of the desk Stephen has behind him.