Better Call Saul. Not coming back until 2020

Goo Punch

9 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I have a constant dread on something happening to Kim.  Something has to happen.

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I think she helps out the old man to keep his property somehow and gets fired. 

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Knowing Gilligan, it will be both.  She'll leave him, and in some wild attempt to win her back, Jimmy will accidentally unleash the chain events of that leads to her death.

It would also be just like VG to have Kim set off a chain-of-events that leads to the accidental death of the old man.  No one saw the humanitarian interaction after hours.  The only witnesses saw her lose her temper with him.  Even better if Jimmy comes up with the plan to physically evict the homeowner and then backs out.  Jimmy doesn't learn that Kim went through with his plan until Howard calls to let him know that Kim is in jail and that she's retained Howard as her defense counsel.  She's charged with murder and pleads down to involuntary manslaughter (no malice), loses her license, and is breaking rocks for the next 18-months. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

It would also be just like VG to have Kim set off a chain-of-events that leads to the accidental death of the old man.  No one saw the humanitarian interaction after hours.  The only witnesses saw her lose her temper with him.  Even better if Jimmy comes up with the plan to physically evict the homeowner and then backs out.  Jimmy doesn't learn that Kim went through with his plan until Howard calls to let him know that Kim is in jail and that she's retained Howard as her defense counsel.  She's charged with murder and pleads down to involuntary manslaughter (no malice), loses her license, and is breaking rocks for the next 18-months. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f299c219c18de801befa4 

• Like 5

C'mon guys, this isn't rocket surgery.

In the opener where Saul is tearing through his office looking for hidden money, he gives his secretary a piece of paper and tells her if she needs a lawyer to call that number.

It may be a New Mexico number, it may be a Nebraska number, but it is definitely Kim's number.

• Like 1

For a minute there when Ignacio was talking to his father, I thought he (Ignacio) might be the first client of the vacuum repair man. Maybe he kills Lalo and goes into hiding.

“It wasn’t me, it was Ignacio! He’s the one!”

But that doesn’t make much sense because Ignacio wants to protect his father and if he did something like that the cartel would murder anyone related to Nacho.

Yeah, Nacho knows better.  If he crosses the cartel...doesn't matter where he goes...he knows they'll kill anybody he's ever known.  They have to keep up appearances.  

I wonder if Kim is the first person in their universe that exits society via the vacuum man.  We also have to wonder how much shit the Salamanca crew can take before they lose their shit.  Lalo doesn't make it past 2008-ish.  Hector obviously gets worse physically, yet remains true to his code, and even kills himself to take out Gus.  Tuco and his cousins, are slighted at every turn yet continue to abide the cartel (mainly via Gus).  Their family eats shit at every opportunity, yet never rise up and attempt a coup.  

Or is that for Season 6?  

43 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'm a fan, and I'm glad the show has one more season after this, but this graph is telling.  Then again, cord cutting (and it's growth after the 1st season) have made Nielsen ratings interesting for all shows:

b25d30025555cefffd7c2b6107cf7faaceb9ee72

Related to cord cutting, but I wonder too if people have become so used to binging that weekly shows are tough to follow (think Mandalorian did really well IIRC, but guessing tougher to follow weekly show on network TV).

I'm a fan, and I'm glad the show has one more season after this, but this graph is telling.  Then again, cord cutting (and it's growth after the 1st season) have made Nielsen ratings interesting for all shows:

b25d30025555cefffd7c2b6107cf7faaceb9ee72.png

Meh. I love BCS and those numbers don’t matter. While other shows with these numbers might be killed before they finish the story arc, AMC committed to run bcs through the end of VG’s vision for the series. That is all I care about.
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, BornOrange said:

C'mon guys, this isn't rocket surgery.

In the opener where Saul is tearing through his office looking for hidden money, he gives his secretary a piece of paper and tells her if she needs a lawyer to call that number.

It may be a New Mexico number, it may be a Nebraska number, but it is definitely Kim's number.

I believe this to be true. I think Jimmy crosses a line. Kim says they’re done and not to contact her again. Kim moves out of state. Jimmy figures out where she lands, but keeps his distance. 

Not Breaking Bad’a style, but I don’t think Vince Gilligan would kill off a lovable, female character. Jane and Lydia don’t count as lovable, or even likable characters. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe this to be true. I think Jimmy crosses a line. Kim says they’re done and not to contact her again. Kim moves out of state. Jimmy figures out where she lands, but keeps his distance. 

Not Breaking Bad’a style, but I don’t think Vince Gilligan would kill off a lovable, female character. Jane and Lydia don’t count as lovable, or even likable characters. 

I hated Jane so much that it never even crossed my mind to think of Walt as a villain when he let her die.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

b25d30025555cefffd7c2b6107cf7faaceb9ee72

There are far too many variables in the cable cutting world to know what network/shows need/want for numbers. There are way too many platforms for people to view an episode let alone a full season or five in one sitting. Aside from live sports there is really no reason why anyone HAS to watch a show when it airs originally. 

I watched the entire breaking bad series in the months leading up to the release of the last season premier. 

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

There are far too many variables in the cable cutting world to know what network/shows need/want for numbers. There are way too many platforms for people to view an episode let alone a full season or five in one sitting. Aside from live sports there is really no reason why anyone HAS to watch a show when it airs originally. 

I watched the entire breaking bad series in the months leading up to the release of the last season premier. 

I was thinking the other day ... I am sort of getting streaming fatigue ... maybe I should patent this idea, but it would be awesome if someone could consolidate all of these streaming services into a single bill / interface.

• Like 2

Considering the title of the show, it's taken a little too long to get here IMO.  But I'm glad we're now firmly in the Saul Goodman pre BB universe.

I think Kim exits stage left in okay shape; if something bad happened to her the happy go lucky Saul in BB would never exist.  He still has some Jimmy in him, and would have too much guilt to continue his shtick if his actions caused her any harm.  She dusts him and moves on.

I'm way more interested in the pre BB and post BB Cinnabon stuff than I am in helping her bank client evict a tenant.  That said, the interaction between her and the old man are why Vince Gilligan and his writers are head and shoulders above anyone else.  She makes a concerted effort to return, knock on the door, make an impassioned and logical argument as to why it's in his best interest to move.  And he ignores it all and tells her to fuck off.  That's how life really goes, and that's why VG and his writers are fucking brilliant (along with the awesome characters and storylines they've created).  

Edited by Mach 1

3 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Considering the title of the show, it's taken a little too long to get here IMO.  But I'm glad we're now firmly in the Saul Goodman pre BB universe.

I think Kim exits stage left in okay shape; if something bad happened to her the happy go lucky Saul in BB would never exist.  He still has some Jimmy in him, and would have too much guilt to continue his shtick if his actions caused her any harm.  She dusts him and moves on.

I'm way more interested in the pre BB and post BB Cinnabon stuff than I am in helping her bank client evict a tenant.  That said, the interaction between her and the old man are why Vince Gilligan and his writers are head and shoulders above anyone else.  She makes a concerted effort to return, knock on the door, make an impassioned and logical argument as to why it's in his best interest to move.  And he ignores it all and tells her to fuck off.  That's how life really goes, and that's why VG and his writers are fucking brilliant (along with the awesome characters and storylines they've created).  

The best VG mindfuck would be a flashback next season of Saul leaving Kim in a rush and heading to the vacuum store - the end is Gene saying “fuck it” and going back to the ABQ and Kim.

Edited by Kyle

I could have waited this long to get to Saul.  Wish it wouldn't have taken this long.  What annoyed me is that it took 3 seasons of Chuck and his really uninteresting BS to get the show to be interesting.  I could have definitely gone with a bit more Squat Cobbler nonsense and crazy client hijinks.  I just didn't need 3 seasons of chuck.  Maybe one season, maybe even 14-18 episodes.  Absolutely did not need Chuck around that long.  no way, now how.  Glad we have moved on, but I do think laboring on Chuck for that long robbed the fans and ratings of what could have been a much more entertaining series, and one that would have produced much better ratings.  I am a super fan of this world so I was in no matter what.  to the casual or even new fan 3 seasons of chuck was not going to hold their interest.  

• Like 2

So could the tie into Walt be where the twins are waiting for him in his bedroom while he is in the shower and they get a phone call?  Maybe the call is to go take care of another hit that takes place this season?  Does the timeline workout for this to happen?

So could the tie into Walt be where the twins are waiting for him in his bedroom while he is in the shower and they get a phone call?  Maybe the call is to go take care of another hit that takes place this season?  Does the timeline workout for this to happen?

No. I don’t believe so. We are in March 2004. Breaking bad starts in 2008

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Better_Call_Saul_Timeline

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Breaking_Bad_Timeline

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

(I thought Chuck was a great character....)

agree... this show and Saul's backstory would be fucking pointless if we started from Day 1 where Slippin Jimmy is just a glib sociopath and this stuff was just a fun grift for him

he wanted to try to do it straight, and he had a role model, and that role model (and his peers) shit all over him and now he's going to lose the other strong tie he had to the straight way of doing things (Kim); the emotional pain causes by all of that goes a long way to explaining why Saul was what he was in BB

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He was a great character. He was the perfect foil for Jimmy. 

And I'll just say that this show is absolutely GREAT right now.  It's as good as peak Breaking Bad, but in a different way.

• Like 2

I think we have this discussion every season, but I’ll restate my position that BCS (and BB, but perhaps to a lesser extent) is not about the destination, but rather the ride. Yes, there are clearly numerous plot lines (both obvious and subtle) that we all want to follow, anticipate and debate, but don’t let that fixation distract you from the real beauty/art of the show itself. Note the visuals (watch it on a big screen if you haven’t previously), the songs, the dialog, the references, the characters... This is absolutely a stop-and-smell-the-roses show, imo

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

i do too, but i still agree with PB that the show spent too much time on all of that, for my taste anyway. there was an obvious expectation that this would be a show about Saul Goodman, and it's just taken way too long to actually get to where Saul Goodman exists. and i hate to belabor the point, but like 80% of this show is not worth a second viewing, so it makes it even harder wait all of these years just to get to Saul Goodman without at least being able to go back and enjoy binge watching the series while we wait. 

It's clearly a re-watchable show.  

I'm the opposite about Saul.  I don't know how many episodes of "Saul being Saul" I can handle.  There's a reason he was a minor character in BB.  Watching him hustle and grind for low rent criminals isn't that interesting.  Seeing him get there, and seeing him involved with the Cartels is much more fun to watch.

4 hours ago, PilotsError said:

It's clearly a re-watchable show.  

I'm the opposite about Saul.  I don't know how many episodes of "Saul being Saul" I can handle.  There's a reason he was a minor character in BB.  Watching him hustle and grind for low rent criminals isn't that interesting.  Seeing him get there, and seeing him involved with the Cartels is much more fun to watch.

Agreed. The cartel stuff is much more interesting. Sometimes it almost feels like there is a Venn Diagram of Kim's story, the cartel, and Jimmy / Saul is just the overlap to keep them somehow connected.

I don’t recall that detail, but probably right. Just seems like a long time for Krazy 8 to be a CI before flipping his cousin.

Well, maybe not.

It was assumed because of what we learned in “Breaking Bad” that Krazy-8 snitched to get a lighter sentence but this last episode disproves that.

Lalo told Saul to visit Krazy-8 in jail and gave him instructions for Krazy-8 of what to say.

Lalo tells Saul - “We need our friend (Krazy-8) to tell the cops some things. Some important things. We want him to say exactly what we tell him. No more, no less.”

So it’s not a true CI situation on K8’s side even though the DEA thinks it is. Because while Lalo is trying to use K8 to pass info to the DEA to eliminate Gus, Gus has Nacho telling him everything Lalo has K8 telling the DEA. Could be whatever info the DEA gets leads them to a bunch of seemingly useful evidence, like the dead drops in the last episode. But Gus knows the DEA is going to stake out his dead drops and decides he’d rather sacrifice that week’s profits in order to keep his ruse going.

Hank & Gomey will get the money from the dead drops, which will prove K8 is a worthwhile CI. Lalo will think his plan to feed info about Gus to cripple his worth to the cartel is working, so he’ll want K8 to continue to “snitch”. Gus will want Nacho to keep giving him a heads up to use for his advantage.

Everyone is playing everyone and the DEA will be the ultimate pawns in the battle between Gus and Lalo.

Also, when we meet K8 in BB, he no longer works for Nacho and the Salamancas and is a solo drug dealer and manufacturer. He’s a hard dude with a vicious dog not the doe eyed newbie like he is in BCD. Hank tells Gomey he stays at the top of the local drug trade by blowing the whistle on rival dealers to the DEA and steals their former customers for himself. He gets hooked up with Jesse through his cousin, Emilio. And K8 even sells out his cousin to the DEA; that’s the bust Walt sees when he rises along with Hank.

So K8 is a planted snitch by Lalo and being used by both Lalo and Gus. That little situation could go on for months or a couple of years.

Then K8 goes independent and continues his relationship with the DEA to eliminate his own competition. Which is another arrangement that could last for a few years because it’s beneficial to Hank and the DEA.

So I don’t think it’s at all unusual that K8 would have a four or five year career as a DEA informant.
  • Like 4

finally caught up on this watching all 3 episodes last night.  outstanding fucking television.  feels like we are finally where we all wanted to be when we heard of the premise of the show back during the final season of breaking bad.  this season has been lights out thus far.  can't wait for tonight's episode.

LOVED the ants going to the ice cream cone at the beginning of episode 3.  that was genius level film making.

Great show.  On a side note, did anyone notice the actor playing Hank to be a little bit off in recapturing the character?  I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it seems his remake of Hank is a bit looser/sloppier, less serious, less hardened, etc... than the Hank in Breaking Bad, for some reason.  It's not a huge deal by any means, but seems all the other revisited characters have been spot on.

3 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

Great show.  On a side note, did anyone notice the actor playing Hank to be a little bit off in recapturing the character?  I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it seems his remake of Hank is a bit looser/sloppier, less serious, less hardened, etc... than the Hank in Breaking Bad, for some reason.  It's not a huge deal by any means, but seems all the other revisited characters have been spot on.

That's how he was in early BB episodes.  He changed after El Paso, Tuco, the Twins.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4