Better Call Saul. Not coming back until 2020

Goo Punch

I didn’t care for this episode. The montage was mildly entertaining, but silly even for Saul. 

Kim is attempting to get disbarred for some old squatter that isn’t a blood relative. I’m not buying it logically for Kim. It’s probably a plot device for her to win one for the little guy. As Gardner Barnes astutely pointed out, a possible copyright case against Mesa Verde is looming. 

A theme I’ve seen in this show is that Jimmy and Kim hate taking orders from rich old guys. We of course know where this leads for Jimmy, but where does it lead for Kim? 

19 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

...and the howard stuff seems just personal, which is not really him either. ...

It seems like several years since I watched the Chuck storyline, or even Jimmy's brief stint working for Howard, but I seem to recall he held a lot of animosity towards Howard for both reasons.  Didn't Jimmy also think Howard treated Kim wrong?  

23 minutes ago, bernorange said:

It seems like several years since I watched the Chuck storyline, or even Jimmy's brief stint working for Howard, but I seem to recall he held a lot of animosity towards Howard for both reasons.  Didn't Jimmy also think Howard treated Kim wrong?  

yeah, he's always hated him i think.  i still don't really love whatever is going on towards him right now though in the context of the show's current storyline.

i think the more logical way to get revenge on howard is to keep him hanging, make him jump through some embarrassing hoops, then turn him down/humiliate him.  or to take the job and fuck around (which they can't do, because it'll look too much like the other job he took and fucked around).

after watching jimmy shop for something to throw over the fence, i really was hoping for a nice payoff.  i still am.  (sidenote - what if he settled on the lamp or something that didn't come in a set of 3?  would he just have thrown it over, missed, and shrugged it off?)

otherwise, there's no point in even having howard pop back up like this, or showing how he's done a 180 on jimmy in general.

19 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

you say it so much better than i can. you talk about liking scenes- Kim doing the Kevin imitation was a great scene, as mentioned several times above. but i agree with you in general about both the season and the character- i'm enjoying it, but it seems a little off/disjointed, particularly since we already know Saul Goodman in his final form. Still enjoyable, just not epic or anything. 

also, small quibble, which some may disagree with, but I thought that Gus's delivery of, "REVENGE" was more along the lines of what I expect from a hollywood villain, and not so much in line with Gus's understated demeanor, even in situations like that. I felt that Gus stating its more plainly and calmly would have been more in line with who he is. 

I agree 100%.  It seemed cartoonish for Gus.

I got a little tired of the unending ridiculous attempts at getting the delay.  I mean, it's going to probably work once, and that's clever as hell.  But it became a daily thing, and the filming seemed to slip back to the kind of comedic vibe they had going with the "50% OFF!" bit.

I like where the stories are going, but there's usually a scene or two in each episode that doesn't land.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 7:41 PM, HouTex said:

Kim is an idiot. I know her role is to show how Jimmy/Saul corrupted her, but siding with an old ornery asshole legally in the wrong and violating several ethical codes in the process just makes her look like a fool.

Yes they stipulated that the old man was renting the place, not an owner. They are gradually drawing down the sympathy we feel for their clients.  Not too many noble victims like the nursing home folks from season 1.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Yes they stipulated that the old man was renting the place, not an owner.

He had a 50(?) year lease. But yeah, he's not gonna win in court. But it won't go to court.

Similar case near Wichita Falls when Stan Kronke bought the Waggoner Ranch and evicted everyone living at Lake Diversion. They had similar long term leases that allowed building permanent structures. Some there since the 1960's. They lost, got evicted and one old guy killed himself.

8 hours ago, RPM said:

He had a 50(?) year lease. But yeah, he's not gonna win in court. But it won't go to court.

Similar case near Wichita Falls when Stan Kronke bought the Waggoner Ranch and evicted everyone living at Lake Diversion. They had similar long term leases that allowed building permanent structures. Some there since the 1960's. They lost, got evicted and one old guy killed himself.

There is a community near Amarillo called Lake Tanglewood, which I think is the same thing. Everyone signed a 100-year lease or some such, can build property but legally does not own the land.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:41 PM, HouTex said:

Kim is an idiot. I know her role is to show how Jimmy/Saul corrupted her, but siding with an old ornery asshole legally in the wrong and violating several ethical codes in the process just makes her look like a fool.

I agree but it's tough to get inside her own head. They have shown that she LOVES the pro bono side of things way more then the Corporate Law she has been doing. She loves Jimmy's ability to ride the edge of legal/illegal without a care in the world. She only wishes she could be that free, but instead she has become what everyone thought she should be and not the person/lawyer that she clearly wants to be. 

Granted she doesn't need to destroy her own law career in the process but it is what it is. It's a little sloppy but I think she is so unhappy with who she has become that she is doesn't even consider the long term effects on her career/life. Having Jimmy/Saul be the only voice of reason and basically an enabler to her actions doesn't help. Instead of listening to Rick and his warnings (because he clearly can see right through her lies) she doubles down and makes a scene. Things are not going to end well as we know, it was a little heavy handed but still enjoying the ride.  

9 hours ago, RPM said:

you got any links to stories about this? i'd like to read more. 

13 hours ago, RPM said:

Ornery Man already lost in court.   I know BCS isn't really a law show but his Eviction would have no connection to their ability to commence construction.

• Like 1

Interesting theory

During the Breaking Bad pilot, Walter White visits his bank, Mesa Credit Union, to withdraw the money so Jesse can buy an R.V. and begin their meth-making enterprise. The logo for Mesa Credit Union looks totally different from the Mesa Verde logo. But that might be the point.

i'm at the opening of the episode. it's like VG and Co. employed a focus group, and that focus group said, "people like montages", so now they just throw a montage into every episode, because hey, who cares if it's good, or interesting, or sloppy, or whatever; people like montages!! 

Edited by Goo Punch

25 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

it's like VG and Co. employed a focus group, and that focus group said, "people like montages", so now they just throw a montage into every episode,

Welcome to the visual stylings of Vince Gilligan. He also likes to hide symbols and use colors in his cinematography. You'll see it become a signature feature of his works.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RPM said:

Welcome to the visual stylings of Vince Gilligan. He also likes to hide symbols and use colors in his cinematography. You'll see it become a signature feature of his works.

i'm aware of his stylings, but at this point it's gratuitous. how many montages have there been this season? one every episode? more? and how many of them compare favorably to the montages of breaking bad? none of them do, and in fact some of them are just bad. it seems to have become a crutch. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

Did they announce if we're getting a Gene season?

There's one season after this. I expect a lot of mixed timelines and maybe a Gene finale episode. Robert Forster died, so unless they have something special in the can beyond the season opener, Gene ain't getting another new dust filter for a Hoover MaxExtract Pressure Pro, Model 60.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jacob McCandles said:

My prediction is that it is Kim being Kim.  Marrying Jimmy means spousal privilege prevents her from testifying against Jimmy in any legal proceedings arising from his shenanigans. 

It's battered wife syndrome. She knows it's wrong and she really shouldn't be involved with him anymore but she just can't walk away. She has no clue what she wants. I thought bringing up marriage was a little lame but I am sure things are going to go from bad to worse for ole Kim. 

44 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

It's battered wife syndrome. She knows it's wrong and she really shouldn't be involved with him anymore but she just can't walk away. She has no clue what she wants. I thought bringing up marriage was a little lame but I am sure things are going to go from bad to worse for ole Kim. 

Some of both. She can't walk away, even though she knows it is the right thing to do. So if she is going to stay, she is willing to get hitched in order to be protected from testifying against him.

Edited by Jacob McCandles

the outfit kim was wearing when rich asked her to go to lunch was pretty ok.  at least from the back.

i'm still in eye-roll mode every time jimmy does something to fuck with howard.  is it bad that i would rather actually hear the lunch conversation between those two than see howard get embarrassed by hooks rolling in?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

the outfit kim was wearing when rich asked her to go to lunch was pretty ok.  at least from the back.

i'm still in eye-roll mode every time jimmy does something to fuck with howard.  is it bad that i would rather actually hear the lunch conversation between those two than see howard get embarrassed by hooks rolling in?

Yeah it almost feels like a forced story line just to keep Howard on  the show.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, WBT said:

You wanted to hear more about the judge's hole-in-one?

cliff and howard, not the judge.  figure jimmy's name might come up, and maybe we'd get some insight into howard's motivations.

but oh noes!  hookers come into a nice restaurant like a scene from an 80's movie.

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Yeah it almost feels like a forced story line just to keep Howard on  the show.

Kim's natural conclusion is to go back under Howard at HHM. But, Chuck somewhat omnisciently said in his last episode "You [Jimmy] ruin everyone you come in contact with."  But but, Kim has kind of angelic status on this show.

The tragedy for Kim is that she’s a pretty good lawyer. She’s throwing it all away or so it seems. And for Jimmy?

Paying anything to roll the dice, just one more tiiiiiime.

Kim just can’t quit chasing the rush that she gets from Jimmy’s unethical adventures, even though she realizes that it’s eventually going to be her undoing.

Which for a girl who was so risk-averse that she once walked three miles home from school all alone on a cold midwestern night with a cello strapped to her back, rather than accepting a ride from an impaired driver, is a bit odd.
  • Like 1

Paying anything to roll the dice, just one more tiiiiiime.

Kim just can’t quit chasing the rush that she gets from Jimmy’s unethical adventures, even though she realizes that it’s eventually going to be her undoing.

Which for a girl who was so risk-averse that she once walked three miles home from school all alone on a cold midwestern night with a cello strapped to her back, rather than accepting a ride from an impaired driver, is a bit odd.

Or she’s an addict just like her mom.

Kim’s addicted to the thrill and rush of a con and Jimmy is her dealer.
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Jacob McCandles said:

Some of both. She can't walk away, even though she knows it is the right thing to do. So if she is going to stay, she is willing to get hitched in order to be protected from testifying against him.

Is there an immediate need for a spousal privilege?  (and would it cover anything pre-marriage?)  

Also has Kim gotten a "rush" all season?  Maybe from throwing beer bottles that she later swept up.

26 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

That ending.  Did not know what to expect.  I thought she was going to say she was fired.  Nice twist, and yes she is addicted to Jimmy, loves the con game until it was played on her.

That was my thought.

Any attorneys here? In the real world, does she stay on the case once her crazy ambulance-chasing con man boyfriend take on the old guy's case? 

That was my thought.
Any attorneys here? In the real world, does she stay on the case once her crazy ambulance-chasing con man boyfriend take on the old guy's case? 

It was disclosed and I’m pretty sure it can be waived if it is an actual conflict. Practically, I can’t see a client continuing to use Kim no matter how good they think she is. Kevin is sort of an idiot so I suppose it makes sense. My clients would switch counsel immediately and probably smell a rat. Keep in mind that the old fart had been in litigation and lost. So he must have had counsel and Jimmy’s late entry to the party would look very suspicious.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

It was disclosed and I’m pretty sure it can be waived if it is an actual conflict. Practically, I can’t see a client continuing to use Kim no matter how good they think she is. Kevin is sort of an idiot so I suppose it makes sense. My clients would switch counsel immediately and probably smell a rat. Keep in mind that the old fart had been in litigation and lost. So he must have had counsel and Jimmy’s late entry to the party would look very suspicious.

I agree. They addressed it as best as they could.  IRL the bank could have moved to disqualify Saul.  successfully!?