Better Call Saul. Not coming back until 2020

Goo Punch

41 minutes ago, bernorange said:

So I'm a bit thick right now, but what revenge is motivating Mike right now?  Revenge against Lalo/Salamancas?  Why?

Mike took revenge on the cops who killed his son.  He understand the concept of actually avenging the death of someone you love.  He can relate to Gus' quest for blood.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bernorange said:

So I'm a bit thick right now, but what revenge is motivating Mike right now?  Revenge against Lalo/Salamancas?  Why?

Mike took revenge on the cops who killed his son.  He understand the concept of actually avenging the death of someone you love.  He can relate to Gus' quest for blood.

Just now, PilotsError said:

OK, but Gus' fight isn't Mike's fight.  i don't see Mike accepting the risk of this line of work with respect to his assumed obligation to Kalie (sp?) over an emotional ode to an already resolved issue.  It seems to me there has to be something else.

Edited by bernorange

13 minutes ago, bernorange said:

OK, but Gus' fight isn't Mike's fight.  i don't see Mike accepting the risk of this line of work with respect to his assumed obligation to Kalie (sp?) over an emotional ode to an already resolved issue.  It seems to me there has to be something else.

Well the Salamancas did threaten Mike's family. Lalo also forced Gus's hand and required Mike to kill the German.

I took it as Gus told Mike his end play - eventually take down the boss of the whole fucking thing.  As a cop, that would appeal to Mike.

Now after the takedown, what then?  Gus has too much invested with Madrigal to stop, so he can't.

Maybe VG will fill this in.  For now, I think my first sentence is enough motivation.

There was a scene where Mike told Kaylie's mom that he had "accepted that he was playing the cards he was dealt" or something to that effect.  To me, that resignation to circumstance indicates that Mike isn't really onboard with things.  He's playing along because he has to.  It really didn't seem like "revenge" resonated with him.

Edited by bernorange

12 hours ago, Native Horn said:

So having never worked at Pollos Hermanos, does a frozen chicken falling in uber-hot cooking oil really create an explosion like that?

(I failed Chem 301 in Welch 2.224 if that helps explain anything).

he opened up the gas lines. 

It's so hard to say differentiate right now - what' is Jimmy's authentic "real" emotion or thought process or what's part of some long con. I love that aspect of it, cause it makes certain things impossible to try to predict. But it's also part of what Kim's apprehension is based on. She doesn't know for sure what Jimmy's end game is going to really be going forward. Part of that uncertainty is that Jimmy doesn't know dam himself half the time. 

I love how they shoot him contemplating/2nd guessing certain decisions, in real time. He considers doing the right thing and following Kim's wishes only to not be able to help himself and ends up going threw with it anyway (or at least to some degree). Same thing with Lalo Salamanca...he sees the family of the victim in the court room, camera sits on him thinking it over, but ultimately snaps back into Saul Goodman and finishes the sell job. 

As Kim said though, now with all that's transpired, how will she ever really know if she's part of the con or actually the uninformed mark/target of the scheme (like she was in the Mesa Verde situation)? 

Just great TV, imo...i actually find myself anticipating the tension in certain scenes and pausing it just to get myself ready to watch the intensity that's to come!  

3 hours ago, Augustus said:

So Gus and the German Madrigal dude have a history back in Santiago.

Would love to know what went on with Gus back in Chile, especially given that it earned him a measure of respect from the cartel Don.

Doubt they'll ever write that, though.

Gus guzzled a lot of international cum.

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

So Gus and the German Madrigal dude have a history back in Santiago.

Would love to know what went on with Gus back in Chile, especially given that it earned him a measure of respect from the cartel Don.

Doubt they'll ever write that, though.

You just stumbled on to second the Breaking Bad spin off series. I'd prefer the Robert Forester vacuum disappearer/bail bond/gator punching series, but what are going to do?

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You just stumbled on to second the Breaking Bad spin off series. I'd prefer the Robert Forester vacuum disappearer/bail bond/gator punching series, but what are going to do?

The first season opens with Gus trying to make French fries at McBurger.  Then we see his older brother started the only 5* restaurant in town.

I took it as Gus told Mike his end play - eventually take down the boss of the whole fucking thing.  As a cop, that would appeal to Mike.
Now after the takedown, what then?  Gus has too much invested with Madrigal to stop, so he can't.
Maybe VG will fill this in.  For now, I think my first sentence is enough motivation.

Gilligan isn’t the actual showrunner any more. He’s still an executive producer but really in name only.

He directs the usual one to two episodes per season but he isn’t driving the ship like in BB or early BCS.

Peter Gould is the showrunner. He was a writer and producer on BB and wrote the episode that introduced Saul Goodman.

I say all this because everyone always credits VG for everything on BCS or says they trust him to tie everything together and I feel sorry for Gould because Gilligan is getting all the credit lol.

Vince is just cashing checks and chilling.
  • Like 4

I haven't read every post in the thread, but last few I did were getting pretty picky and critical. I'm loving this season. I find it very compelling and more than anything, I am extremely impressed with the acting of just about every major player. Lalo is just a bit part guy but he is expertly done. I started off the series in awe of Chuck and Mike and now I'm in awe of Mike, Jimmy, Kim, Lalo, Fring, even Mando to an extent. They make the show with their brilliance. 

Sucks that Jimmy put Kim in the game. She put herself in even further. I was yelling at her silently in my head 'No Kim! God dammit!'. Is this how she ultimately gets got? One would have to think so. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Brief nudity?  This ought to be interesting.

Good episode but don’t recall any brief nudity.  Was it suppose to be Saul in the background after shower?  If yes, I guess I was too busy looking at Kim.

Edited by Horn80

9 minutes ago, HouTex said:

How did Mike know about the pick up?  He had his survivor gear with him so perhaps he knew about the water well meeting spot and he was camping out waiting for the hand off.

Tracker in the gas cap.  He took it off before they pushed it off the road.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

How did Mike know about the pick up?  He had his survivor gear with him so perhaps he knew about the water well meeting spot and he was camping out waiting for the hand off.

Did you see that Mike took the gas cap from Jimmy's car before dumping the car.   This is where he put a tracking device before (I forget which episode). So I assume he had a tracker in the gas cap and used that to find/follow Jimmy.

5 minutes ago, Player said:

So who were the banditos? Not part of the Fring crew or the Salamanca crew?

How did they know about the drop?

When the brothers were walking out of the Salamanca vault with the cash, someone's half face and cell phone are seen and that person says something like "i've got something for you".  Someone on the Salamanca crew appears to be a traitor and probably tipped some other crew off as to the cash and Saul.

Kim's ill-advised meeting with Lalo is going to lead to her leaving voluntarily or getting erased.

(Hopefully) Saul losing his car leads to him using the $100,000 fee to buy a Caddy and a personalize plate ...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jacob McCandles said:

When the brothers were walking out of the Salamanca vault with the cash, someone's half face and cell phone are seen and that person says something like "i've got something for you".  Someone on the Salamanca crew appears to be a traitor and probably tipped some other crew off as to the cash and Saul.

Kim's ill-advised meeting with Lalo is going to lead to her leaving voluntarily or getting erased.

(Hopefully) Saul losing his car leads to him using the $100,000 fee to buy a Caddy and a personalize plate ...

Good call on the phone call, I completely forgot about that. 

I read Sepinwall this morning and he mentioned that perhaps Lalo gifts Saul the Caddy that the cartel guys were cleaning the blood off of. Probably not, but...

5 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I read Sepinwall this morning and he mentioned that perhaps Lalo gifts Saul the Caddy that the cartel guys were cleaning the blood off of. Probably not, but...

I think Saul's Caddy was white and this one was dark colored. I may be wrong...

9 hours ago, HouTex said:

Mike could have planned the rescue operation a little better.

5 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I think it's going to be Saul's.  Why else would they spend screen time on it?

I've been thinking today about how they're going to explain to the cartel what happened to Saul in the desert and how he got out. I can't see how the Cartel isn't going to hear about ~8 odd banditos getting sniped in the desert, especially considering that the leak came from them. And law enforcement is eventually going to find out about it unless Mike can get Fring's crew out there to clean everything up. Assuming he can even find everything again. 

Not to mention Saul is going to be sunburned to all hell and 3 days late with the bail. I mean they could be lazy and he could tell Lalo his car broke down, but that's not going to explain away the above. 

Edited by Baboontyme

I imagine they are going to play it like Fring got word about the banditos, sent Mike to protect the money. Makes Lalo look bad to the rest of the Salamancas because Fring is just protecting the cartels money and not getting caught up in the competition. So Lalo ends up back in Mexico and he loses a little of his clout in the process..