Better Call Saul. Not coming back until 2020

Goo Punch

15 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

VG is such a master.  2 big pieces of Jimmy were killed in this episode.  The suzuki esteem and the 2nd best lawyer mug.  Not much of him left now.

That poor Esteem. Took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. I thought it was great how it fought to the bitter end refusing to go over the cliff until it was finally defeated. Reminded me of when the Bluesmobile died.

i haven't finished the episode yet- had to stop to come here because this is bothering me so much. first, the episode has been great. best in a long time. this show hasn't had a scene that gripping in i don't know how long. the cinematography and the score have been awesome as well. with all of that said-you don't ration water! hello! Mike Ehrmantraut of all people would know this. Taking it sip by sip with long breaks in between will get you dead a helluva lot faster than filling up on what you've got and trying to conserve energy until you can get more. great episode, but christ that's bugging me. i've never even been hiking out in a desert area and even i know that. 

also, you don't drink pee. it's hot as shit and will only make your core temperature rise. for Mike to even suggest that, and for Jimmy to be carrying it around like he might eventually decide to drink it is the type of thing that the BB universe used to never get wrong. but then again i recently found out (via this thread) that VG is no longer running the show, so i guess it makes sense. 

Edited by Goo Punch

18 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

VG is such a master.  2 big pieces of Jimmy were killed in this episode.  The suzuki esteem and the 2nd best lawyer mug.  Not much of him left now.

just up the thread some people that said that VG really isn't running this show, and with the aforementioned blunders involving the water and the piss, i'd be shocked if VG made that episode. 

edit: went and looked it up, and this was actually the only episode of this season (to this point) that *was* directed by VG. I guess it showed up in the cinematography and the general tone, pace, and feel, but having Mike be so unprepared and uninformed pretty tough to get over. 

Edited by Goo Punch

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

ok, this dude really just drank his pee. that is so dumb. 

Can't believe I'm debating a piss take here, but you do know that the urine is not any different in temperature than water would have been, right?  Especially when sloshing around in a sports bottle in 100 degree temps for a while.  Urine is approximately 95% water.  If you have a choice of drinking piss or nothing, the choice is clear.  Drink some piss today!

Obligatory:  it's piss

regardless, they were stuck out there for what, two days? Mike followed him all the way out there knowing that some crazy shit could go down and he wasn't prepared? What did he bring, 4 oz of water? 

also, I was wondering from the beginning why they had to immediately leave on foot when they we armed and could actually see the lone guy in his vehicle. how hard would it have been to stay there and shoot the guy when he gets close enough, before he even has a clue that you're there? you have one guy to deal with and are not prepared for a multi-day hike through the desert- why move in the first place? answer: because it made for cooler TV to make a BCS version of the BB episode where Jesse and Walt got stuck out in the middle of nowhere. VG is usually above that. 

• Like 1

another thing about them deciding to just head out and walk like they did- from the moment they left they just headed out into wide open territory from which they could have been easily spotted and picked off from far away without any chance to defend themselves. They should have sat under that tree in the shade and hoped that the guy drove close enough to shoot him. if not, then you conserve water and travel by night. that plan was fucking terrible, and made no sense whatsoever. 

I loved Breaking Bad- best show of all time imo. And in my opinion the reason for that is very simple: Vince Gilligan said that the way they wrote the show was to simply sit in the writers room and say, "What would our characters do in this situation?" And that's what they wrote. That's not what they did last night. They didn't ask what Mike would do there, they decided to write what they thought would be cool TV. They were wrong, for me anyway. 

Mike led them by day, broke some of his survival instincts, and betrayed some of their inherent personal traits...for the very simple reason...they both left behind everything they ever knew in that desert.  Nobody, not even Walter White or Jesse, leaves that mesa of bullshit still in tact.  Mike ditched his best efforts and well meanings.  Jimmy physically left behind just as much.  All are washed.  Everyone is cleansed.  And the dance goes on...

Mike explained that they couldn’t walk at night because of holes they wouldn’t see.

Sitting under a tree wouldnt ever get them to safety. They had to get far away from the abandoned car so they made it difficult for anyone hoping to help to find/save them. Possibly the gas cap could help?

Bottom line was that he felt they had to move and couldn’t do so at night.

I can see these points being debatable, so Mike making a tactical decision that differs from the one you would make is understandable.

I was really worried (not like REALLY WORRIED but more like genuinely thinking it was going to happen) that Saul would swig the urine and then you'd hear Mike say, "There's bottled water... in the TRUCK."

Yep, thought the same.

Did i miss something, why didn't they get in the car Mike was driving?  When the twin brothers dropped the cash off with Saul, they approached from a different direction.  Seemed the wiser move would have been to go by car the way the brothers came, which was the opposite way the gang approached.

I also like my chances in the car (AC, out of the sun, drive until you have cell svc, radiator has water as last ditch etc..) vs on foot.  Make Saul drive, put Mike on lookout.

5 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Did i miss something, why didn't they get in the car Mike was driving?  When the twin brothers dropped the cash off with Saul, they approached from a different direction.  Seemed the wiser move would have been to go by car the way the brothers came, which was the opposite way the gang approached.

I also like my chances in the car (AC, out of the sun, drive until you have cell svc, radiator has water as last ditch etc..) vs on foot.  Make Saul drive, put Mike on lookout.

Mike's car took a bullet to the radiator.

• Like 1

i liked it ok.  once the bad guy came back, i figured they would have some plan to kill him in a way to drive his car back to safety.  i understand that's ideal and they had little control once mike started sniping.  but if you're gonna show the car getting destroyed, then i need to actually see how the f they got back.

the bad guy never seemed like the issue to me, it was getting back safe from the middle of nowhere.  might've made more sense for saul to go into the street without the money to force the dude to stop and question him (espanol?).  then he's a sitting duck for mike and his car still works.  oh well.

10 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

IIRC his truck got shot (and disabled) by the robber who got away 

Why did they trash Jimmy's Suzuki?  So if the robbers came back they would assume Jimmy died in a car crash and his body was whisked off to heaven?

7 hours ago, HoffaJimmy said:

I am not a hater but thought it was a meh episode. 

They're spending too much time showing off their directorial skill, like the Coen Bros.  Once we established they're burning up we didn't need to watch it over and over again.

12 hours ago, Lurch said:

Mike explained that they couldn’t walk at night because of holes they wouldn’t see. 

which was a dumb, lazy explanation. exactly how hard is it to see at night in West Texas/New Mexico btw? It's practically daytime. And don't tell me that prairie dog holes pose a bigger threat to their survival than some interminable daytime walk through the desert with no food, no shade, and one dixie cup full of water. besides which, as exhausted and dehydrated as they were they were just as likely to step into a hole during the day anyway. "hey we got no water, but we can't travel by night because of prairie dog holes hurr durr." what a lazy and stupid explanation. 

the first half of that episode was enthralling and as gripping as any episode they've had since Chuck was alive. the second half was stupid and lazily written, and done for "cool TV" over "what would these characters actually do in this situation. One guy in a Ford Bronco has to find a needle in a haystack, only instead of remaining in the haystack with his gun, the needle decided to try and kill itself. stupid. 

Edited by Goo Punch

also, i'm not expert on these matters, but when guy who is driving a car get a sniper shot to the dome, i'm pretty sure he just drops dead, as opposed to violently jerking the steering wheel causing the vehicle to dismantle itself in very Michael Bay-like fashion that was, again, all about making "cool TV".

1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

Why did they trash Jimmy's Suzuki?  So if the robbers came back they would assume Jimmy died in a car crash and his body was whisked off to heaven?

my thought at the time was that they felt it was too dangerous/stupid to be driving around in a car full of fresh bullet holes with $7M cash in the back seat. of course, being that they were 30 miles from civilization or whatever, and with it being extremely unlikely that they would run into law enforcement for most of that time/drive, it sure does seem like driving 20-25 miles towards civilization and then ditching the car would have been a better idea.

• Like 1

As Saul was driving back singing to himself after picking up the money bags, before the hostile crew ever showed, I was thinking the Esteem was going to break down, leaving him in pretty much the same predicament (minus the killers and all).  Would have been less exciting TV but an intriguing challenge all the same.

1 hour ago, Bama Llama said:

As Saul was driving back singing to himself after picking up the money bags, before the hostile crew ever showed, I was thinking the Esteem was going to break down, leaving him in pretty much the same predicament (minus the killers and all).  Would have been less exciting TV but an intriguing challenge all the same.

The Joad's car had a better chance of making it to California than Jimmy's Esteem did of surviving a trip thru the desert.

6a2cf9d1a09d0e00dcd63c03cb1c7887.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RPM said:

You should write, produce and direct your own show to prove to VG just how terrible his work is.

insert the most giant fucking eye roll of all time here. aside from the crew who follow me around obsessively, there's no group of people on this site for whom I have more disdain and less respect than TV show fanboys. Every single criticism, no matter how valid, is treated as a hostile attack on everything you love, and met with this type of childish and sensational response. i criticized half of an episode and you respond with this crap about how terrible I think Vince Gilligan is, when 99.9% of what i've ever said about him on this site has been effusive praise. grow up. 

this thread is not your safe space. the entire reason that this site's predecessor ever existed in the first place was so that people could speak their minds freely. if you need a thread where there's no criticism allowed then go start one. if you want this thread to turn into "Derka's reasons this show isn't as good as it used to be" then keep crying every time the show gets criticized. otherwise respond with something besides this dunbass, butthurt, childish shit and we can have an adult discussion about the show. 

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

which was a dumb, lazy explanation. exactly how hard is it to see at night in West Texas/New Mexico btw? It's practically daytime. 

This is highly dependent on if the moon is out.  If not, it is darker than shit.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

my thought at the time was that they felt it was too dangerous/stupid to be driving around in a car full of fresh bullet holes with $7M cash in the back seat. of course, being that they were 30 miles from civilization or whatever, and with it being extremely unlikely that they would run into law enforcement for most of that time/drive, it sure does seem like driving 20-25 miles towards civilization and then ditching the car would have been a better idea.

I'm pretty sure that was precisely the idea.  But the Esteem broke down, Mike gets out, pops the hood, and says "radiator's shot".  They dumped the car to keep it relatively hidden as it was no use to them anymore