Better Call Saul. Not coming back until 2020

Goo Punch

9 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I'm not gonna tell people that they can't criticize the show. If it takes something away from the show for you, that's totally your right. I can tell you that I 1000% don't watch shows/movies looking for critical errors like this. Most shows and movies - you have to suspend some belief in reality, in my opinion. Or else they wouldn't be entertaining. They would be me sitting at home during quarantine picking my nose and telling my kids to shut up. I did not think once about why the guy came back or why Mike told Saul to drink his piss. Just my .02. 

I have a term for this phenomenon. It's called Lewising, named after a friend from HS. He prided himself on being the movie critic/asshole. Everything we watched he would have some sort of problem with. It culminated in him telling the rest of us coming out of one of the Batman movies that he didn't like it because the car drove up the side of a building and that just wasn't realistic. I've probably made a concerted effort to be the anti-Lewis because I always thought that was one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. 

This 1000%. I will never, ever understand people who cannot enjoy things for what they are, find the need to nitpick every detail, and demand realism in what is decidedly supposed to be fantasy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I'm not gonna tell people that they can't criticize the show. If it takes something away from the show for you, that's totally your right. I can tell you that I 1000% don't watch shows/movies looking for critical errors like this. Most shows and movies - you have to suspend some belief in reality, in my opinion. Or else they wouldn't be entertaining. They would be me sitting at home during quarantine picking my nose and telling my kids to shut up. I did not think once about why the guy came back or why Mike told Saul to drink his piss. Just my .02. 

I have a term for this phenomenon. It's called Lewising, named after a friend from HS. He prided himself on being the movie critic/asshole. Everything we watched he would have some sort of problem with. It culminated in him telling the rest of us coming out of one of the Batman movies that he didn't like it because the car drove up the side of a building and that just wasn't realistic. I've probably made a concerted effort to be the anti-Lewis because I always thought that was one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. 

That's a great story, but it doesn't describe what's happened in this thread, or any other thread where the fanboys flip out on me the very moment i start being critical. I'm not out here complaining about everything. Not even remotely close, and that's a fact. How many seasons have we had threads for this show? How many posts have I made in those threads? and what percentage of those posts were critical of the show? 5%? 8%? let's give you guys the benefit of the doubt and call it 10%. That would be one in every ten of my posts being critical of the show. Does that meet your definition of "Lewising"? No, no it does not.

This exact same thing happened when I started criticizing The Office on TOS, it happened when I started criticizing Peaky Blinders, it happened with Always Sunny, and it most recently and notably happened with Game of Thrones. I post in these threads for years, and as long as I'm enjoying the show then nobody has a problem with anything I say. But the very moment that I start to criticize the show I get bombarded the most childish and repetitive crap from all sides. "You must be miserable." "Who watches a show trying to find plot holes?" "Why do you even watch this show if you hate it so much?" "Oh yeah you know so much better than Vince Gilligan." It's all completely fucking stupid and childish and blatantly butthurt shit like that, *the moment* I become critical. not after i "constantly criticize everything" like your pal Lewis- it happens as soon as I dare to not slurp the show. 

Here's the real phenomenon on display here- groupthink. Because there's a whole bunch of people in this thread who freak out at any criticism of the show, and only one of me, you guys blindly convince yourselves that " we have more numbers therefore we must be right", reality be damned. Look at all of the pos rep your post got as if it accurately describes what's happened here, when in reality the overwhelming majority of the posts I've made about this show have been 0% critical. That's not "Lewising", this is just typical shaggy/surly groupthink. "because we all agree with each other, we must be right." 

the truth is that if i actually were "constantly criticizing everything" then i'd stop watching whatever show it was. that's what happened with PB. i stopped enjoying it in S2, and i stopped watching and posting about it right then and there. With The Office and Always Sunny, my at-the-time controversial opinions actually ended up being accepted by pretty much everyone else in the end. The same goes for GoT x1,000,000, or has everyone already forgotten what happened when I criticized S8E1 and multiple people *literally* asked immamac to ban me from the thread for it. how did that one end up???  oh yeah, i also just remembered that the same thing happened *the very first time* i criticized Rick and Morty. never said a bad word about the show, in fact I openly gushed over it, but then i don't like S4E1 and people literally ask immamac to ban me from the thread for it. it's the exact same routine over and over.

as far as this show goes, there's nothing left to say that i haven't already laid out in plain terms. i like this show. i like it a lot. i like the show runners, i like the BB universe, I like the actors, I like the story, and the majority of my posts over the years reflect that. i'm invested in this show, from it's inception until we see the end of it. that does not mean that i am going to like every episode, or in this case, *one character decision from one single episode*. It was stupid as shit for Saul and Mike to set out on foot in the middle of the desert, during the day, with no shade, almost no water, and no cover in case the man pursuing them actually found them. that was a stupid decision in my opinion. that's it. you want to derail the thread over that? fine. do it. and then keep making posts about when i'm not even here. complain about things that i might hypothetically do in this thread. keep doing what you always do. but don't fool yourselves for even one second that this is anything other than *you all* choosing to make mountains out of molehills because you can't handle it when I don't like some feature of the show. 

Edited by Goo Punch

3 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

This 1000%. I will never, ever understand people who cannot enjoy things for what they are, find the need to nitpick every detail, and demand realism in what is decidedly supposed to be fantasy.

is that how you would describe my posts in this thread? I don't like the decision to walk during the day and suddenly that equates to "finding the need to nitpick every detail"? do you guys hear yourselves? 

as for your idea that this show is "decidedly supposed to be fantasy", that's just plain wrong. the backbone of this show is writing storylines that reflect what the writers think that real people would do in these situations. Game of Thrones is fantasy. LOST is fantasy. Breaking Bad/BCS is decidedly *not* fantasy. no one demands realism from this show more than the people who make it. 

Edited by Goo Punch

now that i'm done responding to all of the people whining about me/wildly mischaracterizing my posts from this thread, allow me to hop on board with everyone else and say HOLY SHIT Kim Wexler/Rhea Seahorn. What an ending to that episode. During one of the commercial breaks that was probably 60% of the way through the show, I for some reason got it in my head that we were near the very end, and I thought, "this is the penultimate episode of the season; penultimate episodes are supposed to go out with a bang." boy did it. when Kim stepped up to Lalo i found my jaw slightly dropping, and i was gripped to the scene. that was a fucking awesome way to set up the final episode of the season. 

22 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Season 4, Episode 7. Opening of episode.

Significance?  Jesus Christ.  You are insufferable.

holy shit. i'm insufferable? what the fuck are you even talking about? there is literally nothing in that post to be upset about, it's as benign a post as they come.

what the fuck is wrong with you people? you're fucking bending over backwards to be upset at everything, fucking christ. 

Edited by Goo Punch

7 minutes ago, miguelito said:

When she was telling Lalo - a cartel guy - to get his shit together, I couldn't help thinking, "shut up, shut up, you're not helping." 

Poor Jimmy tried to get her out of there.

Jimmy out kicked his coverage and he knows he doesn't deserve her. His reaction to her quitting scared the shit out of him that she was going to become more like him. 

39 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

holy shit. i'm insufferable? what the fuck are you even talking about? there is literally nothing in that post to be upset about, it's as benign a post as they come.

what the fuck is wrong with you people? you're fucking bending over backwards to be upset at everything, fucking christ. 

Missed the first couple minutes last night, but this song?

4 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Missed the first couple minutes last night, but this song?

boom. that's the one. they opened last nights episode with an instrumental version of this, and i was wondering if there was any significance to them using the song again. 

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

is that how you would describe my posts in this thread? I don't like the decision to walk during the day and suddenly that equates to "finding the need to nitpick every detail"? do you guys hear yourselves? 

as for your idea that this show is "decidedly supposed to be fantasy", that's just plain wrong. the backbone of this show is writing storylines that reflect what the writers think that real people would do in these situations. Game of Thrones is fantasy. LOST is fantasy. Breaking Bad/BCS is decidedly *not* fantasy. no one demands realism from this show more than the people who make it. 

I'm just speaking in general, not at anyone in particular.

As to your assertion, you're only half right. While some of the characters in the BB universe are meant to represent "normal" people to a certain degree, the problems they face have always been sensationalized and the solutions used to solve these problems have almost always been either total bullshit (Walter's fulminated mercury) or wildly improbable (Mike's shot in the episode before).

I don't give a shit that there aren't wizards firing spells at each other, the BB universe is pure gritty fantasy.

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

When she was telling Lalo - a cartel guy - to get his shit together, I couldn't help thinking, "shut up, shut up, you're not helping." 

Poor Jimmy tried to get her out of there.

It reminded me of Costanza going ape shit on Steinbrenner.

8 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Why does Saul care if Lalo from finds out about the robbers?

If Saul tells Lalo about the robbers, then he has to explain how he was able to get out of that situation alive.

If Lalo realizes that Mike (and therefore Gus) was protecting Saul, then Saul is a dead man.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, PilotsError said:

I assume that guy wanted the money all for himself.

Also, Mike is just an ex cop who's resourceful.  He's not some bad ass ex special forces soldier who can survive for six months in the jungle.  Judging him by that criteria is just stupid.

Mike is a Vietnam Vet even if not full Rambo.

8 hours ago, HouTex said:

Gus/Mike care. I recall Mike telling Saul to get the story down. I’m guessing Gus doesn’t want Lalo to know he has a traitor in his organization.

11 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

If Saul tells Lalo about the robbers, then he has to explain how he was able to get out of that situation alive.lso

If Lalo realizes that Mike (and therefore Gus) was protecting Saul, t hen Saul is a dead man.

Okay, it would be a stretch for Saul to say he fought off the robbers alone, losing his car in the process.

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'm just speaking in general, not at anyone in particular.

As to your assertion, you're only half right. While some of the characters in the BB universe are meant to represent "normal" people to a certain degree, the problems they face have always been sensationalized and the solutions used to solve these problems have almost always been either total bullshit (Walter's fulminated mercury) or wildly improbable (Mike's shot in the episode before).

I don't give a shit that there aren't wizards firing spells at each other, the BB universe is pure gritty fantasy.

It's the old Possible vs Plausible thing.

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m not sure what Kim’s original arc looked like, but she’s earned more and more scenes. I believe something similar happened with Jonathan Banks. He was just so good they kept him on the show.

That's pretty much what happened.  Mike's first appearance in BB was when he went over to Jesse's to clean up after Jane OD'd.  Saul was supposed to do that, but Odenkirk was doing a guest spot on How I Met Your Mother and wasn't available, so Jonathan Banks got the call.

58 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I can't believe Saul would be able to be Saul he becomes in BB if the cartel kills Kim.

This. 

Didn't think that when the series began but more and more it's what I'm thinking now. Just doesn't add up that he would continue to help them (dealers, creeps, bad seeds) after something like that. 

Unless...

his partnership with Gus is to get payback.

16 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Rhea Seehorn win an Emmy with that performance last night? 

If not it's a fucking crime. This show, just like BB, has produced some great talent and Rhea is right up top. Hot, complicated, fragile, tough and a lil bit dirty. Love me some Kim.

Nacho and Lalo have been gems, too. Watched interviews with each of them and it's amazing they play the characters they do. Night and day difference.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I can't believe Saul would be able to be Saul he becomes in BB if the cartel kills Kim.

Agree which makes me think Saul will find a way to leave her for her own protection.  

Edited by Horn80

3 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Agree which makes me think Saul will find a way to leave her for her own protection.  

I'm beginning to think that Kim is the first person we will see using the services of the vacuum guy.  I don't think she'd leave on her own, but might if she believes its the only way to keep her and Saul alive.

It feels like Kim and Saul are evolving into the same character.  Kim leaves the corporate world to do provide service for the lowest and most needy (ie the pro bono work).  She has grown to hate the corporate world, it just took falling in love with Jimmy/Saul to see it.  The way Jimmy grinded through the mail room, overcame his brother's vitriol toward his desire to be a lawyer etc. etc..   I believe all of that fed her disdain for the Mesa Verde and HHM's of the world. 

Remember when Kim and Jimmy conned the guy in the bar? That was a big turn-on for her.  I think she longs for the gray area Jimmy/Saul lives in, hence the "deal" not leave her in the dark anymore after the Mesa Verde land case. 

Then Monday night , the way she steps up to Lalo, she wants to be a part of the "excitement" for  lack of a better word, with the pro-bono work being the tonic.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 10:07 AM, tx 3 putt said:

My guess, Lalo kills Kim. Steep price working the cartels 

the Nacho-and-his-dad thing seems like it might be a parallel--- even if Kim and Saul go their separate ways, Saul can be kept in line with the threat that something would happen to her were he to end up NOT being a friend of the cartel

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I bet future Kim works at Jamba Juice at the same mall as Gene.

And they stare at each other across the food court like Mark Ratner & Stacy Hamilton, even though they haven't gone all the way?  

On 4/14/2020 at 12:31 PM, GotThatFire said:

I live in ABQ. About 6 or so months ago I walked past Rhea as I was heading into PetSmart. I wasn’t overly starstruck so I said “I love your work, great show”. She smiled, made eye contact and said “thank you so much etc then you’ll love this coming season”

She seemed humble. I like her

Petsmart? Tell me she was carrying fishtanks supplies