Better Call Saul. Not coming back until 2020

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Some may have some minor gripes with the details and that's cool

i can’t speak for others, but i’m typically the most critical of shows that i love.  they’re the ones i watch closest and hold to the highest standards. when i’ve seen what shows are capable of, it bums me out when they falter. 

this has been a really good season and it’s a really good show. i’m never gonna be hanging out and nitpicking 911 lonestar or the bachelor.

• Like 2

For me BCS is a great sensual, audible, visual pleasure, similar to a fine meal or fine scotch or fine sex (I know, Woody, every orgasm is pretty much right on the money; but the sex quality varies).  Yet the feel of each episode is unique because you never know what the shit is about to happen, such as a petite woman getting in the face of a stone killer cartel capo and showing him the door.  Now godammit, only one episode remains.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i’m never gonna be hanging out and nitpicking 911 lonestar or the bachelor.

Yeah, but you'll tell us what you really think about The Masked Singer. (rimshot.gif)

The Gilligan universe has a propensity to elevate actors to the next level. Nobody thought Malcom's Dad would become Walter White. Nobody thought the guy from Mr.Show would have deep dramatic acting chops or the guy nobody remembers from Wiseguy still had some high octane gas in the tank. Discovering Rhea and molding Kim's character may be the best thing VG's done. She's hard, vulnerable, sexy, cold, shady, trust her with your life and die for her all rolled up into one. I haven't seen anyone that could beat that for this year's Emmy. She's going to clean up when she gets some leading film roles.

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i can’t speak for others, but i’m typically the most critical of shows that i love.  they’re the ones i watch closest and hold to the highest standards. when i’ve seen what shows are capable of, it bums me out when they falter. 

this has been a really good season and it’s a really good show. i’m never gonna be hanging out and nitpicking 911 lonestar or the bachelor.

you can speak for me here. my entire disappointment with that one decision (to walk during the day with no water or shade) was because i very strongly felt that Mike Ehrmantraut is smarter/more prepared than that. I know Mike; I love Mike; he's the one guy you want with you in a situation like that. If I didn't love the show and the character the way i do then it wouldn't have bothered me so much that "prairie dog holes" was his rationale for essentially trying to kill the two of them with his plan. For me that was so unlike the character of Mike that it bothered me.

That said, your words are probably falling on deaf ears. It's pretty clear that many of the people in this thread who effusively praise the show week after week with the "best show ever" and "everyone deserves an emmy" comments are ready to go to war with anyone who nitpicks literally anything about the show (baboontyme isn't actually the one poster who hasn't done this, and i thank him for that). I can't explain why, but it's been that way for years on the TV forum. People go full derka at the drop of a hat when someone criticizes anything about a show they love. 

Edited by Goo Punch

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

you can speak for me here. my entire disappointment with that one decision (to walk during the day with no water or shade) was because i very strongly felt that Mike Ehrmantraut is smarter/more prepared than that. I know Mike; I love Mike; he's the one guy you want with you in a situation like that. If I didn't love the show and the character the way i do then it wouldn't have bothered me so much that "prairie dog holes" was his rationale for essentially trying to kill the two of them with his plan. For me that was so unlike the character of Mike that it bothered me.

That said, your words are probably falling on deaf ears. It's pretty clear that many of the people in this thread who effusively praise the show week after week with the "best show ever" and "everyone deserves an emmy" comments are ready to go to war with anyone who nitpicks literally anything about the show (baboontyme isn't actually the one poster who hasn't done this, and i thank him for that). I can't explain why, but it's been that way for years on the TV forum. People go full derka at the drop of a hat when someone criticizes anything about a show they love. 

More than that, I would had expected Mike not to enter a dangerous situation in a dangerous environment without a short-wave radio, etc. He brings every possible supply but only relies on a mobile phone in a desert to connect for a rescue?

3 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

Read that he used to host a Mexican version of “Jack Ass.” He wanted to do the jump down to Saul’s wrecked Esteem himself but got vetoed 

Just stop for a minute and think about a ridiculous premise like "Jack Ass", produced in Mexico, where they have to up the stakes on what they did in the original "Jack Ass" and think about how insane that must have been.  And Dalton lived through it, and is now maybe the best actor (albeit in perfect little moments here and there) on a show of great actors.  He plays it light and silly but there is a methodical, strategic demon lurking there and he lets you (and the other characters) see just the right amount.  

17 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

The episode would have been a lot shorter had he had a radio . Like a said real life would be boring to watch

you're acting as if the only two options are a)exactly what happened in that episode or b)"a much shorter episode where everything works out ok." that's not the case. i'm 100% certain that VG and co. are perfectly capable of writing that storyline in a way that made more sense than what they went with and still filled out one entire episode.

1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

The episode would have been a lot shorter had he had a radio . Like a said real life would be boring to watch

I’m not a mechanic, but I don’t think a shot alternator would leave your car DRT. They probably could have put a few more miles behind them before the battery died. 

BCS is like The Americans.  Just solid all across the board but zero love from the Emmy's.  BCS has won 0 Emmy's.  The Americans didn't get any love until the final season when Matthew Rhys won and the writers won.  I hope this gets corrected for BCS, too.

It's clear that Kim is a better lawyer/advocate for her clients than Saul.  Saul can blow a lot of hot air to opposing counsel, but at this point, he's not as die-hard as Kim (or as Chuck was).  We saw Kim stand up to Kevin from Mesa Verde, and now she took it to Lalo.  Saul was frozen.

We know Saul gets there the way he acts with Walt and Jesse.  So the big question is how does he fully crossover.  That's what is going to play out over the remaining episodes.

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

I’m not a mechanic, but I don’t think a shot alternator would leave your car DRT. They probably could have put a few more miles behind them before the battery died. 

I've had a car die on me exactly like that with a failed alternator. Your battery runs out of juice really quickly without it.

49 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

It's clear that Kim is a better lawyer/advocate for her clients than Saul.  Saul can blow a lot of hot air to opposing counsel, but at this point, he's not as die-hard as Kim (or as Chuck was).  We saw Kim stand up to Kevin from Mesa Verde, and now she took it to Lalo.  Saul was frozen.

while watching, i couldn't tell how much was about not wanting lalo to know the full story, and how much was really about not wanting kim to know the full story.  he made several attempts to get her out of the room, and i could see him potentially bullshitting his way through a story with lalo one-on-one.

"i was getting shot at, i didn't know where it was coming from, then i sped away, and i guess something happened because the shooting stopped.  but then my car was fucked because i guess the bullets did some damage.  i was freaking out that the gunmen were still out there, so i laid low for several hours and kept lookout."

also i knew at some point, the excuse from kim or saul about the bullet holes would be, "dumb new mexico rednecks love to shoot at cars and push them into ditches."

18 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Every single regular player in this series is Emmy-worthy. I mean, I think. I don't watch the Emmys. Or the Oscars or whatever they're called. But Odenkirk is just ridiculous. We've talked in the past about Banks. His performance in the episode where he avenged Matty's death might be the single best acting performance I've ever seen in an episode of television. I think that was S2. Seehorn is absolutely owning it right now. If she doesn't win something, it would be a crime. And I'm beginning to think Dalton is a better actor than all of them. 

Every single character of this, especially Banks. I’ll add Michael McKean’s performance in “Chicanery.”

BCS and BB have broken TV for me, because the quality bar, from writing to acting to scenery, is so damn high. I have no patience for mediocrity anymore. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dutch said:

BCS and BB have broken TV for me, because the quality bar, from writing to acting to scenery, is so damn high. I have no patience for mediocrity anymore. 

The bar has been moved for me, too. 

3 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Will Mike and Kim ever meet?

They haven't IIRC.

She had to have parked at the courthouse once or twice during the last few years given all her pro-bono work.  

On 4/14/2020 at 9:48 AM, Goo Punch said:

oh yeah, also- when jimmy got the phone call and then went in and apparently did the worst job representing anyone ever- i wasn't able to follow what that was. can anyone clear that up for me?

I found that arc confusing at first as well, but it becomes clear that Jimmy is quite traumatized and scared over recent events.  It affected his ability to work on other cases.

16 hours ago, bernorange said:

I found that arc confusing at first as well, but it becomes clear that Jimmy is quite traumatized and scared over recent events.  It affected his ability to work on other cases.

I really enjoyed the loser deputy DA continually following Saul around to talk shit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bernorange said:

Jimmy needed a quick resolution in court, so he could meet with Mike without Kim knowing or suspecting. Perhaps he was out of continuances for that case.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:27 AM, Kyle said:

More than that, I would had expected Mike not to enter a dangerous situation in a dangerous environment without a short-wave radio, etc. He brings every possible supply but only relies on a mobile phone in a desert to connect for a rescue?

Or really did they have to set up an elaborately suspicious cover story to explain why Jimmy was "late" posting bail?  How about:

Sorry Lalo, it takes some time for a lawyer to explain away 7 million in cash.   

6 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Jimmy needed a quick resolution in court, so he could meet with Mike without Kim knowing or suspecting. Perhaps he was out of continuances for that case.

23 hours ago, bernorange said:

Isn't it the first time since the premiere that Slippin Jimmy's lost a case?  You're right that it's to show him so traumatized and scared that he doesn't have a con to pull for his client.  And it's so unheard of that it happened off screen.

Edited by notre dame joe

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Saul's face was badly burned.  He had clearly been in the desert for a while.  He had to explain that.

The show has been pretty consistent.  When VGG ask what would these characters do when confronted with this situation?  these characters execute a Rube Goldberg plan to do something simple. 

On 4/15/2020 at 11:28 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

the Nacho-and-his-dad thing seems like it might be a parallel--- even if Kim and Saul go their separate ways, Saul can be kept in line with the threat that something would happen to her were he to end up NOT being a friend of the cartel

This is a good theory, but it might be Gus using Kim to keep Saul in line - instead of the Salamancas. I think it may have been foreshadowed in the scene where Mike asks Gus about cutting Nacho loose. This tactic is definitely part of Gus's playbook.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Lalo smirks too much to be allowed to live.  He dies tonight, but at whose hand(s)?

a. Mike

b. Nacho

c. Gus

d. Kim

d. Saul

Saul thinks that the kidnappers in Breaking Bad (actually WW and Jessie) might have been there on orders from Lalo.  So either Lalo is still alive during the BB timeline, or Saul doesn't know he's dead.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, stupidgringo said:

This is a good theory, but it might be Gus using Kim to keep Saul in line - instead of the Salamancas. I think it may have been foreshadowed in the scene where Mike asks Gus about cutting Nacho loose. This tactic is definitely part of Gus's playbook.

Problem with this is that in BB, Saul doesn't know Gus.  But he "knows a guy, who knows a guy"

Will Tuco be back for the final season?  Lalo mentioned to Hector that he'll be getting out of jail soon.  That would be bad ass.  When BB starts up, it appears that Tuco has been out quite a bit because Hank knows of him and Jesse knows he's a big time dealer to go to.  So hopefully the timeline adds up so that we get more Tuco next season if the actor is free to film.

Edited by Jive Turkey

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Will Tuco be back for the final season?  Lalo mentioned to Hector that he'll be getting out of jail soon.  That would be bad ass.  When BB starts up, it appears that Tuco has been out quite a bit because Hank knows of him and Jesse knows he's a big time dealer to go to.  So hopefully the timeline adds up so that we get more Tuco next season if the actor is free to film.

Skinny Pete had the hook up, not Jessie. Jessie didnt know much about him. All up for interpretation as to how long he (Tuco) had been in charge in BB, but my guess isnt long. Skinny Pete says he did some time with Tuco,  so maybe a year of running things.