Better Call Saul. Not coming back until 2020

Goo Punch

5 hours ago, Lurch said:

Don’t remember when it came into existence, but you can buy a local radio for your service provider that uses an internet connection rather than towers. Your phone doesn’t know the difference.

I have a mini-tower as my provider lacks service in the Podunk town knowns as Scottsdale Arizona.  Does that mean their van has an internet connection?

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

One did and was surprised by a returning Lalo, which was pretty awesome, by the way. He used an escape tunnel, then fucking RETURNED to kick ass

Lalo went back inside with his glock(?) to attack a group of commandos armed with assault rifles. consistent with his character!?

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Reminder: Gus walks out with half his face blown off and adjusts his tie. Set expectations for “realistic” in this universe around that anchor.

That was realistic because we'd expect Gus's first thought would be to straighten his tie. 

Edited by notre dame joe

1 hour ago, HoustonFrog said:

I’ll be honest - thought it sucked.

13 final episodes need to be jam packed. That finale was borderline boring and the final fight was dumb. One unexpecting guy killing six guys who are very well armed and trained? Come on. It would have been fine if Lalo had bolted after the escape tunnel, but him coming back and then blindly shooting a machine gun 70 yards down a tunnel was absurd.

Biggest issue was just how little happened. We wasted so much time on random shit... what was the purpose of Kim choosing case files? And the entire Howard thing is weird.

Anyways - loved most of the scenes in Mexico. Lalo, Nacho, Don Eladio are awesome... especially Lalo, he wins every scene.

Disagree that this season or episode sucked. They're still 3-4 years behind Breaking Bad's start so they need to get the timelines closer and wrap up the Cinnabon years storyline. I don't think we will see BCS roll into BB's storyline but my guess is that it will get close.

Spoiler

Aren't Lalo and Nacho both mentioned by Saul in Season 2 of BB? And Saul believes that they're both still alive at that point.  It doesn't mean they alive but Saul presumes that both are after him for some reason.  If true, then perhaps Mike kills both of them but obviously doesn't inform Saul.

32 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Has anyone ever picked a padlock by sliding some sheet metal into it?  That seemed easier than I would've thought.

yeah, i've never seen that.  then when he opened the door, the assassins were just quietly waiting there, and i thought, holy shit, what a bunch of badasses.

then the rest of the stuff happened.

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

Has anyone ever picked a padlock by sliding some sheet metal into it?  That seemed easier than I would've thought.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, i've never seen that.  then when he opened the door, the assassins were just quietly waiting there, and i thought, holy shit, what a bunch of badasses.

It's actually funny you mention that because I watch this guy on YouTube every now and then:

Apparently it's called "shimming" the lock and I guess Nacho just makes a couple of them out of foil to open the padlock. Cool stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

A team of real operators would have used breaching charges, nods and suppressors. 

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Apparently it's called "shimming" the lock and I guess Nacho just makes a couple of them out of foil to open the padlock. Cool stuff.

I thought it was foil, but it was a beer can. You can see the label when he shims the lock. Looks to be basically the same thing as a credit card opening a door.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's actually funny you mention that because I watch this guy on YouTube every now and then:

MicNacio!  MagNacio!  

Played by the great Richard Nacho Anderson 

12 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

I’ll be honest - thought it sucked.

13 final episodes need to be jam packed. That finale was borderline boring and the final fight was dumb. One unexpecting guy killing six guys who are very well armed and trained? Come on. It would have been fine if Lalo had bolted after the escape tunnel, but him coming back and then blindly shooting a machine gun 70 yards down a tunnel was absurd.

Biggest issue was just how little happened. We wasted so much time on random shit... what was the purpose of Kim choosing case files? And the entire Howard thing is weird.

The tension of the final shoot out was disrupted by commercials and dispersed by Kim talking about Howard.

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

In a show which has a tremendous amount of main and secondary characters, it’s hard to believe Howard is probably the only ”good” guy remaining.  

Agreed. Howard was redeemed, and seems like a decent guy. The "hate Howard" plot is kind of a distraction, but ... maybe that is the MacGuffin that resolves Kim. Riffing: she and Jimmy divide over Howard, she goes off-reservation without his knowledge, gets busted, disbarred, and leaves ABQ in shame and returns to ... Omaha. Last scene of BCS is Gene sees Kim somewhere in Omaha or Kansas City.

22 hours ago, miguelito said:

There are several YouTube videos showing you how to hack a certain trailer lock (for a boat say).  They use the same technique. I have the lock in the video below for my boat trailer and its pretty much the same as what Nacho did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RPM said:

And he's a dick.

Howard never actually does anything except relate to the other characters. The close Howard has come to lawyering is sitting next to Chuck and looking pretty.  I think the only decision Howard made was pushing Chuck out of HHM.

I can see this ending with Kim back at HHM.  Maybe both Kim and Howard fall.  Most likely Kim winds up in Geneland so there will at least be one familiar character. 

On 4/21/2020 at 9:26 AM, WithoutAClue said:

the good news is the final season will be 13 episodes.

the bad news it won't be for another 18 months or so.  :(

Absurd. Network TV used to do 30 shows a year with a three month hiatus. I abandon shows that I like because I lose track of what's going on and who the minor characters are. This season of BCS was diminished because of the long wait and because it took some time to find its feet with Chuck gone. 

I thought the last episode was a poor ending to this "season." What did this season accomplish? It starts with Saul involved with the Cartel; Lalo being present and dangerous; Nacho worried about his Dad; Mike involved with Fring. That's exactly how we end. That's a let down from the superb story telling this creative team has done in every other case. 

I was getting bored watching Saul in a daze. Hand the show over to Kim, she was the most dynamic character outside of Lalo and Mike. Saul was too passive. We like him because he's resourceful and active. Making the central character largely passive is the kind of error a new creator makes. This team really fumbled in that regard.

I envy their achievements, but this season can't be counted high among them.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 4:38 PM, RomaVicta said:

I was getting bored watching Saul in a daze. Hand the show over to Kim, she was the most dynamic character outside of Lalo and Mike. Saul was too passive. We like him because he's resourceful and active. Making the central character largely passive is the kind of error a new creator makes. This team really fumbled in that regard.

Saul hasn't even had time to let his sunburn heal, and you want him to snap right back to the fun time Slippin Jimmy? 

At least his malaise won't last as long as Jesse's did. 

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

Saul hasn't even had time to let his sunburn heal, and you want him to snap right back to the fun time Slippin Jimmy? 

At least his malaise won't last as long as Jesse's did. 

Watching someone somnambulate while his sunburn heals is not great TV, IMHO. Now, throw in his methodic rehydration, and you might have something special.

Maybe let the action pick up a few days later. 

• 2 weeks later...

After watching BB and considering probably the greatest show ever, we started BCS a couple of weeks ago.  A few episodes into season 2, and I am REALLY into it.  I love how we got Mike's backstory to better understand what he was going through.  At what point in Breaking Bad did Vince Gillgan decide to do BCS?  Or did that come to him after?  I wonder if there we any elements in BB that we designed to lay the groundwork for BCS, if I am making myself clear.

• Like 1

After watching BB and considering probably the greatest show ever, we started BCS a couple of weeks ago.  A few episodes into season 2, and I am REALLY into it.  I love how we got Mike's backstory to better understand what he was going through.  At what point in Breaking Bad did Vince Gillgan decide to do BCS?  Or did that come to him after?  I wonder if there we any elements in BB that we designed to lay the groundwork for BCS, if I am making myself clear.

According to Wiki, season 3 episode 13 of BB is when it was first discussed.

Enjoy the ride. Some are starting to question if BCS is actually the better of the two series. I’m still firmly in the “BB is best” camp, but BCS is fantastic
  • Like 2

Bcs would have to have the best mind blowing final season to catch bb.  I love bcs, but i have to say that dragging out chucks bullshit storyline for 3 full seasons really knocks bcs back a bit. There was good stuff on there for sure, but no way they needed 3 seasons of chuck focus to tell that story.  

I’m right on board with those who think this is better than BB. Heck, I’m thinking BCS is one of the finest series ever made.
But you freaks talking all this Rhea Seehorn trash just need to stop. She ain’t that great.
Bob Odenkirk is what it’s all about (with a shout out to Jonathan Banks and all the Mexicans.)

12 hours ago, DallasGatr said:

I’m right on board with those who think this is better than BB. Heck, I’m thinking BCS is one of the finest series ever made.
But you freaks talking all this Rhea Seehorn trash just need to stop. She ain’t that great.
Bob Odenkirk is what it’s all about (with a shout out to Jonathan Banks and all the Mexicans.)

And the Chilean.

To each his own, but for me Breaking Nad was enthralling, and it had nothing to do with the fact that BB had more action and violence. BB could be just as painfully slow and deliberate as BCS, but the character arcs and storylines were truly gripping, and in some cases took the entire series to flesh themselves out. With BB i continually found myself on the edge of my seat, overwhelmed with anticipation of where the story would go next. It was and is just extremely compelling TV.

As for BCS, I would not describe it as gripping or enthralling, and I've never found myself hooked to this show like I was/am with BB. How many years ago did this show first air? Feels like it's been forever. And to be honest, I don't really remember very much at all about Jimmy's time at HHM, or Mrs.Kettleman (besides her rack), or most of the Jimmy vs Chuck storyline, at least as far as the details go. Same with Mike and his backstory. It just hasn't been nearly as compelling or memorable for me, and as noted, the interminable breaks between seasons don't help.

Also, and this is just a fact, it's a very common occurrence for people to flock to this thread after an episode of BCS asking questions about the show that nobody ever has a concrete answer for. "What were they doing in this scene? What was the significance of such and such?" Things like that, where again, we never come to any finite conclusion. Point being, there's plenty of times when the dedicated fans of this show don't even know what's going on. And that's why for me, BCS is an enjoyable show that is not in the same league as BB, which is television royalty. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 7:25 AM, NorthLoop said:

Do we know where we are at timewise with this show? I feel like I recall them mentioning Tuco getting out "in 11 months" so we have to be pretty far from the start of BB still. 

On 4/29/2020 at 9:32 AM, PilotsError said:

2004 according to reviews.

Confirmed:

• 3 weeks later...

OK wtf? It says online that season 5 is out, but Netflix has just seasons 1-4. And it's not on AMC on Demand. Where the fuck can I watch it?

We finished season 4 last night and am jonesing.

Love it, but BB was a better show, no question.