Better Call Saul. Not coming back until 2020

Goo Punch

12 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

OK wtf? It says online that season 5 is out, but Netflix has just seasons 1-4. And it's not on AMC on Demand. Where the fuck can I watch it?

We finished season 4 last night and am jonesing.

Love it, but BB was a better show, no question.

so many people here saying that BCS is better than BB, and for me, that's ridiculous. it would be like saying that you (as a Longhorn fan) prefer watching the 2009 Big XII Championship Game over the 2006 Rose Bowl. You're allowed to have your own personal preference, I just think you're completely insane in this case. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:52 AM, Goo Punch said:

so many people here saying that BCS is better than BB, and for me, that's ridiculous. it would be like saying that you (as a Longhorn fan) prefer watching the 2009 Big XII Championship Game over the 2006 Rose Bowl. You're allowed to have your own personal preference, I just think you're completely insane in this case. 

I think it would have been ridiculous to say early on, but BCS has reached the point where it is much more layered and nuanced than BB was, particularly in the later years when it was basically Walt vs. the world.

But certainly it's not really a fair comparison because the *existence* of BB makes BCS better because of the world-building that it did.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I think it would have been ridiculous to say early on, but BCS has reached the point where it is much more layered and nuanced than BB was, particularly in the later years when it was basically Walt vs. the world.

But certainly it's not really a fair comparison because the *existence* of BB makes BCS better because of the world-building that it did.

how so?

in fact, i don't find BCS to be particularly layered or nuanced at all. there was *way* more going on in BB, including the latter seasons, than there ever has been in BCS, which from the jump has just been Jimmy vs the world. i mean you mention the later seasons of BB and say it was just Walt vs the world, but that's not true. You had Hank and Marie finding out about Walt which was incredible, and 100x more gripping than anything BCS has ever done; you had Todd and his uncle's prions gang/Nazi crew; you had Vamanos Pest, the train heist, Todd killing the kid, Walter Jr and Skylar finding out, you had Lydia and her methylamine, Mike Ehrmantraut and all of his storylines, you had Walt as the most wanted man in America, you had Robert Forster and his role, and none of this has even mentioned Saul/Heull/Bill Burr, the money, the car wash, etc.

Meanwhile BCS has moved at a snail's pace, featured many early season storylines that ultimately didn't matter/improve the show, and yet it has almost none of the drama, or suspense, or danger, or even the captivating, slow moving scenes that are nothing but dialogue. what, in all of BCS, comes close to Mike's "half measures" speech, or Walt's, "I am the danger" outburst, or even when Walt snuck into Elliott and Gretchen's house to lay down the law? imo, nothing. 

its a decent show that i honestly would have given up on seasons ago if i weren't so invested in the BB universe. I've heard many of you call it "the best show on TV" and "better than breaking bad",' but i haven't heard anything substantive to back up any of those claims. to me, and i believe to most people, BCS does not approach BB. I've given some reasons as to why that is. i'm open time hearing why some of you guys think it's the other way around.

I don’t think BCS is better, but it does have an artistic aspect in both cinematography and dialog to it that I recognize and appreciate more than I did w BB, though it certainly exists in both. I’ll acknowledge that I’d have to watch for this again next time through BB to see if it’s really that different, but in my head it is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 7:08 AM, NorthLoop said:

Amazon Prime charging for shit when you already pay for Amazon Prime... /trivial things that piss me off thread

Did you think Media moved to a less efficient medium because they wanted to save you money (and therefore cost themselves money)?   I've heard that from plenty of streaming lovers.

• Like 1

lol what? 

Since when is streaming less efficient? And yes it saves everyone money and doesn't cost them as much money. That's why cable is dying. My bitch with Prime is that they're the only ones who charge you, and then want to charge you again for most of their content. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 6:45 AM, NorthLoop said:

My bitch with Prime is that they're the only ones who charge you, and then want to charge you again for most of their content. 

They charge for stuff they don't have the rights to.  You'd prefer they be like the others and give you no way to watch that extra stuff?

23 hours ago, WBT said:

They charge for stuff they don't have the rights to.  You'd prefer they be like the others and give you no way to watch that extra stuff?

Yeah, I'm ok with this, too.  Example: I'm the last person in the world to watch the Marvel movies (thank you, Disney+ for letting me catch up).  Spider-Man Homecoming* and Far From Home, due to Sony holding their rights, aren't on Disney+, so I paid the $4.99 to rent them in UHD for 48 hours.  So yes, I had to pay extra to view them on Prime Video, but I also had the convenience of clicking a few buttons and not having to go to a RedBox (closest one to me with it was 11 miles) or wherever to rent them.  

*Would Infinity War and Endgame have made sense without seeing Homecoming? Yes.  Would the the story have had less emotional impact without seeing Homecoming prior to IW? Definitely, so $5 well spent IMHO.

Edited by Dutch

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this is unreal. She carries a huge chunk of the storyline in a critically acclaimed show and has been continually passed over. They'll throw her a bone in the final season, but it's a crime she hasn't had multiple nominations. I hope she starts showing up in films.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:18 PM, cabowabo said:

Are we supposed to believe that Jimmy walks into the jail with $7 million in cash to bail Lalo out?  That appears to be what he does in the preview to next week”s episode. 

Out of curiosity, what's your take on that now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I know we have to wait a bit for the final season, but I just have a feeling that it’s going to be absolutely epic.   Love the series so far (just finished up season 5 today) and I think they are going to release the Kraken for the final season.   Gon be gud. 
When season 5 ended, I was enjoying it just as much if not more than Breaking Bad when it had one season left. It's so damn good.

I know people who bailed early on in the series because they said it was too slow pace and nothing at all like Breaking Bad. That missed out.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

When season 5 ended, I was enjoying it just as much if not more than Breaking Bad when it had one season left. It's so damn good.

I know people who bailed early on in the series because they said it was too slow pace and nothing at all like Breaking Bad. That missed out.

Yep.  A bunch of my buddies bailed early (towards the end of season 2).  

Nothing is ever going to surpass BB in that universe. BCS is a bit more lackadaisical because Jimmy isn't driven like Walt was. Walt had a serious timeline with a hard stop (he thought). Jimmy just wanted to impress his brother and Kim. He goes slowly off the rails where Walt went full 4x4 from the start.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

We started BCS shortly after bingeing BB so it was seamless. BB is still >>> than BCS, but they're both great. (BB may be the best of all time).

This is how my girlfriend did it. She binged Breaking Bad last year and I joined in for a 3rd time at the start of season 2. Immediately after, she watched Better Call Saul. The first 4 seasons. I joined in again so this was a second go around for me. I am glad I did because I forgot about some small details. We then both watched the Breaking Bad movie. So we got to experience the whole Breaking Bad world in one seamless transition with no waiting at all. It has been enjoyable for me as well. Will be sad to see it all end. Not sure if there is anything else Gilligan can get from this world he created. 

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is how my girlfriend did it. She binged Breaking Bad last year and I joined in for a 3rd time at the start of season 2. Immediately after, she watched Better Call Saul. The first 4 seasons. I joined in again so this was a second go around for me. I am glad I did because I forgot about some small details. We then both watched the Breaking Bad movie. So we got to experience the whole Breaking Bad world in one seamless transition with no waiting at all. It has been enjoyable for me as well. Will be sad to see it all end. Not sure if there is anything else Gilligan can get from this world he created. 

I think the only viable additional spin-offs would be:  Young Gustavo Fring, Backstory on the Salamanca Twins/Start of Salamanca Empire, Kim.  That's about it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I think the only viable additional spin-offs would be:  Young Gustavo Fring, Backstory on the Salamanca Twins/Start of Salamanca Empire, Kim.  That's about it.  

Young Fring interests me.

We got one line in BB that indicated he was some kind of big shot in Chile before the fall of Pinochet, but that's it.

Don Eladio said something to the effect that "I'm not gonna whack you, because I know who you are."  Thought for sure at that point we'd get the backstory but nope.  

I was hoping he was gonna be Pinochet's bastard son or something like that (despite my having no idea how old Pin was, with respect to Fring)

12 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

It's better, more realistic...imo

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/9/2020 at 2:59 PM, Augustus said:

We got one line in BB that indicated he was some kind of big shot in Chile before the fall of Pinochet, but that's it.

Don Eladio said something to the effect that "I'm not gonna whack you, because I know who you are."  Thought for sure at that point we'd get the backstory but nope.  

I was hoping he was gonna be Pinochet's bastard son or something like that (despite my having no idea how old Pin was, with respect to Fring)

Fring would be the most logical, best spinoff IMHO. He's the most interesting, multi-dimensional character. I like Mike but not sure pre-BB Mike is that interesting. 

22 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Fring or Hank

I liked his character but he doesn't interest me enough to have a whole show around him. It would be another law enforcement show. Unless they create some backstory on the fly for him.

Fring would be the most likely if they ever do. But it would not have the Breaking Bad/BCS feel to it. It would be more like a Narcos show at that point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I liked his character but he doesn't interest me enough to have a whole show around him. It would be another law enforcement show. Unless they create some backstory on the fly for him.

Fring would be the most likely if they ever do. But it would not have the Breaking Bad/BCS feel to it. It would be more like a Narcos show at that point.

And that would be badass 

On 9/9/2020 at 3:59 PM, Augustus said:

Great memory. 

11 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Am I the only one that likes Mike the most in BB and BCS? I love how fucked up he is yet has an honor code about him. He never complains about the hand he has been dealt because he agreed to it. I felt like he really respected Nacho but could only do so much. 

Just a straight up gangster. 

um... I think most fans of both shows love Mike.