Lubbock loses its shit, you know, the traditional semifinal rioting

Vito Andolini

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

It's almost like none of you were on the drag when we beat Nebraska for the Big-12 football title in 1995.  Much "fandemonium" including an overturned bus. I was there and it was amazing.

Party on, Tech.

I remember people being on top of a bus.  I have no recollection of a bus being overturned or any other significant destruction of property. 

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

I remember people being on top of a bus.  I have no recollection of a bus being overturned or any other significant destruction of property. 

This is the accurate story....

Also this is why I don't get all the people rooting for Tech.  Don't get me wrong I'm not rooting against them but I could give a fuck if they win and if they do it's not like they will handle it gracefully.  Remember this is Texas Tech where the boys will slap you in the face with a tortilla and the girls will give you syphilis faster than you can say Byron Hanspard.   

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So do they hit a different part of town tomorrow night, or head back to here?  The city should stage some old police cruisers in the already destroyed section to try to lure them back. 

the cops were out there 5 minutes after the end of the game and had Broadway blocked off with barricades at University and also a another cop Tahoe across the university on Broadway on the campus side as well

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So do they hit a different part of town tomorrow night, or head back to here?  The city should stage some old police cruisers in the already destroyed section to try to lure them back. 

Gonna tip 10,000 cows.   

Edited by clapclapclap
Guiness World Records being flown in

2 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Why no tortilla throwing? Is that tradition dead?

Need the thousands of tortillas to both spike the economy and act as a good base to start the couch fires.

Corn's a good starter. Flour keeps the blaze going. 

This is flat-out embarrassing. The one moment our hard-working, respectful, and classy program steps onto the national pedestal, our student body does this. THIS is what people will think about Texas Tech. Not our hard work but our ignorance, irresponsibility and irrationality. These idiots have to realize that they represent Texas Tech University. Being known as a hostile and toxic fan base is not the reputation that Coach Chris Beard wants Tech to be known for. We should act like how Kansas Basketball or Oklahoma Football acts: this is something we are used to. Chris Beard is the mark of a new era. So why try to trash the reputation of that era? I know our students have historically been dangerous and ill mannered, but this makes me embarrassed to be a Tech fan. And seriously. It was the game to make the natty. Our students better pray for the best Monday because now all of America knows that Texas Tech students lack class. This needs to be addressed NOW. I am sick of tired of Tech being a laughingstock of college athletics. It’s time for a change or else, Texas Tech athletics may never be able to garner the national respect that our rising athletic programs deserve.

Posted  by WreckEmRiker  on Apr 7, 2019 | 1:10 PM

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is flat-out embarrassing. The one moment our hard-working, respectful, and classy program steps onto the national pedestal, our student body does this. THIS is what people will think about Texas Tech. Not our hard work but our ignorance, irresponsibility and irrationality. These idiots have to realize that they represent Texas Tech University. Being known as a hostile and toxic fan base is not the reputation that Coach Chris Beard wants Tech to be known for. We should act like how Kansas Basketball or Oklahoma Football acts: this is something we are used to. Chris Beard is the mark of a new era. So why try to trash the reputation of that era? I know our students have historically been dangerous and ill mannered, but this makes me embarrassed to be a Tech fan. And seriously. It was the game to make the natty. Our students better pray for the best Monday because now all of America knows that Texas Tech students lack class. This needs to be addressed NOW. I am sick of tired of Tech being a laughingstock of college athletics. It’s time for a change or else, Texas Tech athletics may never be able to garner the national respect that our rising athletic programs deserve.

Fuck it, Tech should embrace the wild child persona. They will never be considered an elite program or school so why not roll with it?

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Fuck it, Tech should embrace the wild child persona. They will never be considered an elite program or school so why not roll with it?

"We should act like Oklahoma football or Kansas basketball"

Yeah. Please don't.

I get where you're coming from, but Jesus... please no. I did undergrad there 1992-1996 and just can't relate to the way students (and plenty of non-student locals I'm sure) behaved last night. Yeah, when the women won the title in 1993 there were crowds and craziness, but there wasn't any property destruction like that. I realize it's a different level of significance to an extent, but god damn- there's not a bone in my body that would lead me to behave in the manner I saw in the various videos posted today.

It's embarrassing & disappointing to say the least, and I just can't relate to acting that way.
  • Like 1

the lime scooters burning is one thing...when you leave that rental detritus laying all about what do you expect (still does not make it right)

turning the car over pisses me off though especially since the dickheads that did it either are too broke to have their own car, they would be the first to cry they did not have full coverage or got fucked on the value, or they have plenty of cash and will cry if they get caught and get a heavy charge and get booted from school (as they should)

some poor sap probably did not have full coverage on that car and now they are fucked

I still can't figure out how you get a lime scooter started on fire in the first place much less what kept burning like that on them even with a big pile of them there had to be other shit in there with them

Yeah, people shouldn’t act like assholes and destroy stuff, but the real WTF issue for me was TechFan doing this stuff when it’s not even the championship game. I guess I’ve had “don’t dogpile until Omaha” ingrained.

Edited by Vito Andolini

16 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yeah, people shouldn’t act like assholes and destroy stuff, but the real WTF issue for me was TechFan doing this stuff when it’s not even the championship game. I guess I’ve had “don’t dogpile until Omaha” ingrained.

true, but they went well past the elite 8 which was their top performance in mens BB and they are doing it in a year when no one would really expect it and beating a lot of name teams along the way

but as Auburn fans learned wait until you have actually won it

The team took the exact opposite approach which 8 suppose is smart

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Unfortunate as the events of the evening were, relax a little.  TT hadn't exactly cornered the market on this hooliganism.  Hell, Michigan State lost last night and their students rioted.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/michigan-states-final-four-loss-brings-unruly-crowds-to-streets-23-arrested

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

You wouldn’t think that if it was your 30 year old Monkey Wards couch that was being burned

You just dated yourself, my friend.  85%+ of the posters here will not have gotten that reference.

Me, on the other hand, lived it.  My grandmother was a big fan of shopping at the Monkey Wards.

Tech is ready to join the B1G after the couch burning and rioting act their students performed on Saturday :) As Texas fans, we are jaded being the big swinging dick in the state and can’t relate to the underdog persona of a Tech or UH. I would never commit violent acts like this but don’t think shit in the same league but a bit tamer doesn’t happen even up in the Ivy League as well after a big victory. Bring the basketball championship home to Texas. Wreck ‘em

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

14 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Tech is ready to join the B1G after the couch burning and rioting act their students performed on Saturday :) As Texas fans, we are jaded being the big swinging dick in the state and can’t relate to the underdog persona of a Tech or UH. I would never commit violent acts like this but don’t think shit in the same league but a bit tamer doesn’t happen even up in the Ivy League as well after a big victory. Bring the basketball championship home to Texas. Wreck ‘em

Was anything violent? I mean shooting tear gas at the crowd isn't exactly peaceful but I think it was more to get them to disperse. 

The destroying cars shit is over the top and just fucking dumb. Everything else seemed like another day at the office for drunk 20 year olds in Lubbock. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Was anything violent? I mean shooting tear gas at the crowd isn't exactly peaceful but I think it was more to get them to disperse. 

The destroying cars shit is over the top and just fucking dumb. Everything else seemed like another day at the office for drunk 20 year olds in Lubbock. 

Agreed. I’m not condoning flipping cars over and shit. All I’m saying is “act like you have been there before” shouldn’t really apply to Tech or even us in basketball 

17 hours ago, HookEm said:

It's almost like none of you were on the drag when we beat Nebraska for the Big-12 football title in 1995.  Much "fandemonium" including an overturned bus. I was there and it was amazing.

Party on, Tech.

'95??

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

All I’m saying is “act like you have been there before” shouldn’t really apply to Tech or even us in basketball 

I agree and thought the Tech fan take I cross-posted was funny for that reason among others. 

"Act like you've been there before" is such a weird saying anyway. They haven't been there before. 

19 hours ago, HookEm said:

Party on, Tech.

I'm not sure a post could BE more wrong.

Nobody overturned a fucking bus. Unless standing on top of one now = overturning. Especially not in 1995, since the Big 12 didn't exist yet. 

21 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Those impatient morons probably jinxed the team.

Can't say I'd be sad if UVA wins this now.

it's my observation that the team whose fans celebrate making the championship game/round rather than waiting for the championship usually loses.  Reminds me of when Atlanta had a parade for the Falcons making the Super Bowl.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

16 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

it's my observation that the team whose fans celebrate making the championship game/round rather than waiting for the championship usually loses.  Reminds me of when Atlanta had a parade for the Falcons making the Super Bowl.

Virginia's fans also celebrating making it to Monday. They got nuts and ordered a second Chardonnay after the game and jumped up and down on their fainting couches. 

You know the problem?  These kids aren't drinking enough...if they had, they wouldn't be able to do any of this crap.

Take me for example.  After a game like Saturday night's, I was lucky to stumble down the stairs from the media room to my bedroom.  And why?  Because I waged war on my liver throughout that entire game.  I couldn't have rioted in the streets if I wanted to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TornACL said:

I'm not sure a post could BE more wrong.

Nobody overturned a fucking bus. Unless standing on top of one now = overturning. Especially not in 1995, since the Big 12 didn't exist yet. 

Funny how time changes one's memories.  I remembered it being a wild freaking time.  In fairness, I was drinking heavily.