2019 Masters

markstanco

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Is anyone here cheering for Rory?  Does the Ryder Cup mean nothing to you?  I can't pull for any Euro. 

I root for tiger because I want to be able to say I saw the best ever win over and over. Other than that I root for great golf. I never root for anyone to hit a bad shot, even if it’s them and tiger down the wire. 

That being said, if Ian poulter wins the masters I’ll kill myself. Fuck him and fuck every stroke he swings. I hope he gets the shanks so bad that he is relegated to picking David Duval’s dingleberries. Fuck Ian poulter. 

15 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I love Poulter ever since I read his autobiography. Blue collar rough and tumble footballer who plays golf.

He always just seems to have a shitty attitude when the camera is on him and he isn’t nearly good enough to have that shitty attitude during 90% of his TV time. He seems really cunty, regardless of his background. He does fucking own the Ryder cup though. 

I chose DJ over Brooks in a season long pool I’m in. Thought DJ would have the year this year that brooks had over the last 2 years. I’m wondering if I miscalculated because you’ve got to pick at least 1 major winner to win this pool. Brooks looks like he can run away with them while DJ seems more like a consistent top 5 finisher. 

20 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Lot of issues right now. And my point remains that it's a shitty pairing.

I dont even know what "shitty pairing" means. This is the first round. It isn't a match play. You're talking about two 3 time major winners. They should be able to tune out the distractions.

If anything I would say Spieths gallery is a distraction to Koepka.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

He always just seems to have a shitty attitude when the camera is on him and he isn’t nearly good enough to have that shitty attitude during 90% of his TV time. He seems really cunty, regardless of his background. He does fucking own the Ryder cup though. 

I'll be a fan of Poulter forever if he marries a gal named Geist and hyphenates.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So Spieth may have to play under par tomorrow just to make the cut

Think they have a 10 shot rule after 2 rounds to make the cut.  Right now, Spieth is 9 shots back.

Seems like Koepka does not care for Spieth much...... Might be bothered both by Jordan's popularity with fans, and annoying slow play.

Think they have a 10 shot rule after 2 rounds to make the cut.  Right now, Spieth is 9 shots back.

Seems like Koepka does not care for Spieth much...... Might be bothered both by Jordan's popularity with fans, and annoying slow play.

Cut is top 50 plus ties or within 10 shots of the lead. You might be right about Spieth not being his cup of tea. Koepka’s best buddy on tour is DJ who couldn’t be more different than Jordan. Here is Jena and him while on vacation with DJ and Paulina

b7deef0dc760d03be1716d5d824939ab.jpg

7 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Amazing round by Koepka playing with a couple hackers.

Koepka played well..... his personality is like watching paint dry.

Hope Lefty, Tiger and Kisner are in the hunt on Sunday.....

Edited by LTtxfan

He's never hit the ball well... At least not as good as his record suggests. He just made every putt he looked at for about 2 years. Covered up a multitude of sins. Now he's hitting it a little worse and isn't making putts. So this is what you get. 
Agree completely. His lack of length, and his mediocre ball striking was covered up by amazing putting. Now that's gone cold, he's lost. I hope he gets it back and doesn't pull a David Duval.

6 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

Masters app sucked balls for me today. Live viewing sucked, kept freezing up, etc.

Great scoring conditions today. Koepka is a straight up baller. On quite a roll.

Phil shot 67 with a water ball on 11.

The cream rose to the top today.

I had an hour where it worked perfectly but other than that I was dealing with the same. Skipping, freezing, jumping back and forth. 

1 minute ago, ousuxndallas said:
2 hours ago, pops said:
He's never hit the ball well... At least not as good as his record suggests. He just made every putt he looked at for about 2 years. Covered up a multitude of sins. Now he's hitting it a little worse and isn't making putts. So this is what you get. 

Agree completely. His lack of length, and his mediocre ball striking was covered up by amazing putting. Now that's gone cold, he's lost. I hope he gets it back and doesn't pull a David Duval.

Jordan's ball striking was fine, it's that chicken wing left arm trying to hit driver that fucks his world up. 

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Cut is top 50 plus ties or within 10 shots of the lead. You might be right about Spieth not being his cup of tea. Koepka’s best buddy on tour is DJ who couldn’t be more different than Jordan.

After Ryder Cup, Koepka said he would have no problem partnering with Patrick Reed.  I think Brooks is annoyed by the Boys Club of Fowler, JT, and Spieth.

Btw, DJ and Jordan are good friends too..... but imo the body language of Koepka during interviews clearly displays frustrations that he doesn't get the same kind of attention a lot of other American golfers get.

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Brooks is very much on the record that he can’t handle slow players. He thinks 45 seconds is too long to take a shot. 

40 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:
3 hours ago, pops said:

What you think is irrelevant. Jordan was one of the best ball strikers on tour, and that is back up by stats. Putting was only a piece of it. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

After Ryder Cup, Koepka said he would have no problem partnering with Patrick Reed.  I think Brooks is annoyed by the Boys Club of Fowler, JT, and Spieth.

Btw, DJ and Jordan are good friends too..... but imo the body language of Koepka during interviews clearly displays frustrations that he doesn't get the same kind of attention a lot of other American golfers get.

Koepka paid his dues on tours all over the world, I bet he looks at those guys with a little bit of disgust.

48 minutes ago, housious said:

What you think is irrelevant. Jordan was one of the best ball strikers on tour, and that is back up by stats. Putting was only a piece of it. 

(This isnt directed totally at this comment just wanted to share some JS takes)

He might have been 2-3 years ago at times. He's always been poor off the tee relative to some of the best on tour. I agree that his approach game in spots during his career has been phenomenal, but it's his putting, play around the green and ability to seize the moment that set him apart right out of the gate.

I think something to consider is that he was maybe due for a downturn like this at some point. He seems to play to the level of the field a little too often and at his peak ability he's never displayed the complete mastery of the game that you often saw from Tiger or see at times from Rory (shit, even DJ has that in the bag at times) - but, you don't necessarily that to be a hall of fame golfer.

Spieth will get back to playing championship level golf and I doubt he's done winning tournaments. He's just too talented not too. I don't know if he will ever rattle off a run like he did from 2015-2017 again but he's just 25 years old. How many guys can you name that won 3 majors before 25 that never did shit after that? 

Golf is a fickle, fickle game and he's got 20 years ahead of him if he takes care of himself. Tiger has kind of jaded the way that we perceive all-time success for the post Tiger generation. I seriously doubt anyone on tour right now ever sniffs 14 majors, let alone hits double digits.

Spieth is in my mind quite easily the 2nd best talent in the post Tiger generation (i.e. since Tiger's last major) and he isn't in a ton of danger of losing that crown to any of his protégés (until Kopeka or DJ rattle off another major or two or Dechambeau goes Tom Watson on the tour's ass). He's just as close as jumping Rory as the greatest golfer of the post Tiger generation as falling into David Duval oblivion (who again has one major and a Players to Spieth's 3/4 legs of the slam - Spieth is already a better player than DD).

I've never been a huge Spieth guy (just comes across as a douche tbh) but I would hate to see him not compete for majors and be a face of golf for a long time.

And shit. There's a lot of golf to play. He's just 9 strokes back.

34 minutes ago, ztejas said:

(This isnt directed totally at this comment just wanted to share some JS takes)

He might have been 2-3 years ago at times. He's always been poor off the tee relative to some of the best on tour. I agree that his approach game in spots during his career has been phenomenal, but it's his putting, play around the green and ability to seize the moment that set him apart right out of the gate.

I think something to consider is that he was maybe due for a downturn like this at some point. He seems to play to the level of the field a little too often and at his peak ability he's never displayed the complete mastery of the game that you often saw from Tiger or see at times from Rory (shit, even DJ has that in the bag at times) - but, you don't necessarily that to be a hall of fame golfer.

Spieth will get back to playing championship level golf and I doubt he's done winning tournaments. He's just too talented not too. I don't know if he will ever rattle off a run like he did from 2015-2017 again but he's just 25 years old. How many guys can you name that won 3 majors before 25 that never did shit after that? 

Golf is a fickle, fickle game and he's got 20 years ahead of him if he takes care of himself. Tiger has kind of jaded the way that we perceive all-time success for the post Tiger generation. I seriously doubt anyone on tour right now ever sniffs 14 majors, let alone hits double digits.

Spieth is in my mind quite easily the 2nd best talent in the post Tiger generation (i.e. since Tiger's last major) and he isn't in a ton of danger of losing that crown to any of his protégés (until Kopeka or DJ rattle off another major or two or Dechambeau goes Tom Watson on the tour's ass). He's just as close as jumping Rory as the greatest golfer of the post Tiger generation as falling into David Duval oblivion (who again has one major and a Players to Spieth's 3/4 legs of the slam - Spieth is already a better player than DD).

I've never been a huge Spieth guy (just comes across as a douche tbh) but I would hate to see him not compete for majors and be a face of golf for a long time.

And shit. There's a lot of golf to play. He's just 9 strokes back.

I agree.

However, If I remember correctly, he was actually ranked 15th or so in driving accuracy one of those years.

We all remember the great putting and great recovery shots. My only point was that you don’t win multiple majors in a year, while almost winning the grand slam, on putting alone.

As for Jordan, I think it’s very likely we’ve already seen his best. It’s going to be very difficult to have a year better than 2015. But that doesnt mean he can’t get back to contending and winning regularly.

15 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I dont know why but i think i would root for Dechambeau if he were to be dueling it out with Koepka on Sunday.

Brooks isn’t that likeable. He’s boring. He makes a big deal over the fact that he doesn’t get the respect the other young guys do, but hell, he only contends a handful of times per year. Those tournaments just happen to be majors.

Brooks isn’t that likeable. He’s boring. He makes a big deal over the fact that he doesn’t get the respect the other young guys do, but hell, he only contends a handful of times per year. Those tournaments just happen to be majors.
He said that? He is top 5 in the world.

10 minutes ago, markstanco said:
26 minutes ago, housious said:

He said that? He is top 5 in the world.

I don't think he's a rocket scientist. 

He’s right to an extent. There were 10 people Vegas listed as favorites before him, including Jordan Speith. He rarely gets mentioned amongst the greatest current players even though he’s won 3 of the last 6 majors. He’s not very likeable, but he can play some golf and it wouldn’t surprise me if he ran away with this.

On a different note, has anyone ever sounded more stupid than Brandal Chamblee saying that Koepka self sabotaged his career by dieting the way he has? Chamblee needs to be a little more diplomatic with his criticism and concerns. He should say “I’m concerned this could” instead of definitively stating that something is going to happen. I like Chamblee, but he makes himself look like a jackass sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, housious said:

My only point was that you don’t win multiple majors in a year, while almost winning the grand slam, on putting alone.

Totally agree. That was the best non-Tiger season since 2000.

1 hour ago, housious said:

As for Jordan, I think it’s very likely we’ve already seen his best. It’s going to be very difficult to have a year better than 2015. But that doesnt mean he can’t get back to contending and winning regularly.

Spieth is young. Shit, Rory isn't even 30. I wouldn't be shocked if either or both of them hung up another 2 major season. 

47 minutes ago, Hate said:

He’s right to an extent. There were 10 people Vegas listed as favorites before him, including Jordan Speith. He rarely gets mentioned amongst the greatest current players even though he’s won 3 of the last 6 majors. He’s not very likeable, but he can play some golf and it wouldn’t surprise me if he ran away with this.

On a different note, has anyone ever sounded more stupid than Brandal Chamblee saying that Koepka self sabotaged his career by dieting the way he has? Chamblee needs to be a little more diplomatic with his criticism and concerns. He should say “I’m concerned this could” instead of definitively stating that something is going to happen. I like Chamblee, but he makes himself look like a jackass sometimes.

No.  Paul azinger and notah begay are tied for 2nd, though. 

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:
36 minutes ago, ztejas said:
Spieth is young. Shit, Rory isn't even 30. I wouldn't be shocked if either or both of them hung up another 2 major season. 

Trending, rory has a better shot at that and it isn't close.

Rory hasn't won a major in 4 seasons. To say "it isn't close" is silly. Plenty of golfers win majors well into their 30s. Padraig freaking Harrington repeated majors in 2008 at 37.

Not trying to be contentious - just reflecting on the nature of the game.