So the CMA awards are on tonight

tbone_

I just flipped to network after watching a movie on DVR and Brandi Carlile was doing a duet with some random pop country choad -- looked like Dierks Bentley.  It was pretty much an acoustic number, not bad, and the crowd looked apoplectic.  Kind of a "holy shit are we actually gonna have to SING now?" vibe.  Bro country may be over.

10 hours ago, TWHOOKEM said:

Her face has changed a lot in the past couple years. Look at some old pics, she used to be a lot more "natural". Still hot, but not my preference.

It seems country music is very hard on its female artists.

I've noticed a bunch of my lifetime who were cute when they first started and seemingly and just a couple years aged decades. Gretchen Wilson immediately comes to mind.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’m not even totally sure about George anymore.

George needs to quit trying to use Bubba's songs and go ask Bruce Robison for his 11 best songs and just record them.  

He should start with this one:

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's a bad look.  She's talented, but she's definitely on the money grab.  
Nah, she's anti "country music" establishment. Doesn't do radio interviews much and her music is certainly liberal compared to traditional Nashville crap. She doesn't really give a shit.

I'd still rather listen to Margo Price though.

17 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Nah, she's anti "country music" establishment. Doesn't do radio interviews much and her music is certainly liberal compared to traditional Nashville crap. She doesn't really give a shit.

I'd still rather listen to Margo Price though.

That's not what I was implying.  I'm saying she's selling out her talent.  The gold standard in my adult lifetime for selling out one's talent was Whitney Houston.  Maren has about 10% of her vocal chops but she's doing the same thing -- going for the quick buck, which I get, but I don't have to like it.  I really don't like seeing people who can write AND sing just pack it in.

1 hour ago, spystud13 said:

Y’all are talking about two different people. Whatever means Kacey. 

Ha, you're right.  I was talking about Maren.  Well, whatever -- money grab.

Kacey's good enough to tell Nashville to fuck right off.  She's like the hot female Sturgill.

Ha, you're right.  I was talking about Maren.  Well, whatever -- money grab.

Kacey's good enough to tell Nashville to fuck right off.  She's like the hot female Sturgill.

Thanks for clearing that up spystud. I was confused.

But yeah Maren certainly did the money grab and Kacey does her own thing.

And it ain't just her and Sturgill telling Nashville to fuck off. The anti-Nashville movement has been around for a long time but it seems this new crop of talent is actually getting some traction.

Nowadays artists like Sean McConnell, Nikki Lane, Amos Lee, Jason Eady, Courtney Patton, Margo, Jamie Lin Wilson, Hayes Carll and Ryan Bingham can have damn good careers without going full Nashville.

And by "new" I mean starting to get noticed. Most of these artists have been around quite some time but are only recently getting radio play.

Stapleton was legit.

He was. Wife loves him. Also loves Isbell. But she doesn’t get Americana at all. She also loves all the pop country crap.

She asked me, if Stapleton is so “Americana” how come he gets so much love and Isbell doesn’t?

He was. Wife loves him. Also loves Isbell. But she doesn’t get Americana at all. She also loves all the pop country crap.

She asked me, if Stapleton is so “Americana” how come he gets so much love and Isbell doesn’t?
Because he wrote all of the truck in the mud songs and got so rich that he can afford to play his stuff.

If Isbell had done the same I don't think he would have the same appeal because he doesn't give a shit about that. He just wants to play his music and make a difference socially, which Nashville generally doesn't approve of.

It’s also industry shit. We were talking about Buck Owens the other day at work, and one of the guys didn’t know “Bakersfield Sound” and that Buck never played well with Nashville, so we looked him up...

Buck Owens had a dozen or more consecutive number 1s in the 60s and 70s.

Nominated just 6 times for a CMA. Only 2 solo, both in 1967, and 0.0 nominations with Don Rich. His only win came in 01 not for one of his collaborations with Dwight or Ringo Starr, but for Too Country with Brad Paisley, George Jones, and Bill Anderson in 2001. ~50 years of influencing country music and 2 solo nominations.

I think lots of the “Americana” guys play it the same way. Countrish, but theyve got their recording contracts and publishing set, and don’t really give a shit if they ever play the Opry or sell a single unit for anyone besides themselves.

• Like 1

It’s also industry shit. We were talking about Buck Owens the other day at work, and one of the guys didn’t know “Bakersfield Sound” and that Buck never played well with Nashville, so we looked him up...

Buck Owens had a dozen or more consecutive number 1s in the 60s and 70s.

Nominated just 6 times for a CMA. Only 2 solo, both in 1967, and 0.0 nominations with Don Rich. His only win came in 01 not for one of his collaborations with Dwight or Ringo Starr, but for Too Country with Brad Paisley, George Jones, and Bill Anderson in 2001. ~50 years of influencing country music and 2 solo nominations.

I think lots of the “Americana” guys play it the same way. Countrish, but theyve got their recording contracts and publishing set, and don’t really give a shit if they ever play the Opry or sell a single unit for anyone besides themselves.
100% this.

And Buck Owens has some bad ass music.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:59 AM, tbone_ said:

Mrs Rojo is the same. I told her the other day she doesn't really like country music, she likes boy bands with a twang. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

The studio musicians in Nashville are insanely talented... and every day they're hired to play on fucking horrible shit that is completely without merit or value

I don't know how much they care.  Nashville has always pumped out schlock -- listen to the string-laden garbage of the late 70's and early 80's.  Those insanely talented musicians are getting paid scale for 2-3 sessions per day, and they knew what they were in for when they chose that path.

Plus, every once in awhile, they probably get to play on something really cool.

Mrs Rojo is the same. I told her the other day she doesn't really like country music, she likes boy bands with a twang. 

Good analogy. I’ve used similar but I’ve given up on this because I’m not going to change her mind and further pointing it out doesn’t contribute to my goal of a harmonious life.