TO loses his shit.

Beau Vine

Some random dude in Georgia just made off with a bunch of Terrell Owens' awesome NFL memorabilia ... snatching up the Hall of Famer's storage unit at an auction ... and now TO is scrambling to get it back.

TMZ Sports has learned ... items in Owens' old storage unit in Atlanta were auctioned off after he stopped making payments to the company.

The stuff is really cool -- a custom bust of TO, old playbooks, autographed helmets, cleats, and even a copy of an NDA that we're assuming the NFLer gave to people at parties.

We reached out to TO, who says he had no idea his stuff was about to be auctioned off, telling us his people had been trying to make contact with the storage company for years but had been getting the runaround.

Furthermore, Owens is upset a heads up wasn't given before his valuables were sold, and is VERY interested in getting in contact with the current owner to reclaim his memories.

The man who bought all the stuff, James Rice of Jan's Used Furniture in Griffin, GA, tells us he's more than willing to give it back to its rightful owner.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/07/terrell-owens-storage-unit-auctioned-awesome-nfl-memorabilia/

• Like 1

We reached out to TO, who says he had no idea his stuff was about to be auctioned off, telling us his people had been trying to make contact with the storage company for years but had been getting the runaround.

Calling BS on this here.  How difficult is it to have somebody drive to the place and straighten things out?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Calling BS on this here.  How difficult is it to have somebody drive to the place and straighten things out?

Agreed. When TO says the storage company has been giving 'his people' the runaround, does he mean that they've been withholding return of the contents until he pays his incredibly overdue bills? Cause usually, that's the case. 

Edited by TreatyOak

Dumb question, but why do people put things of value in a storage unit and abandon them?  I get it if it's loaded up with junk and you fall on tough times and just say screw it, but if it's something of value why wouldn't you get that out before you start skipping your 40 dollar rent.  Not speaking to TO's case specifically, but just in general to the whole idea of storage auctions.

11 minutes ago, Scholz said:

People are hoarders.  And stupid.  Most I know store a bunch of worthless crap in their garages and park their expensive cars out in the weather.

I never understood this phenomenon. For fuck's sake, if a home has a garage, the garage is described in terms of cars (e.g. 2 car garage, 3 car garage, etc.). The auto goes into the garage first, then the rest of your shit provided you have the space for it.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Dumb question, but why do people put things of value in a storage unit and abandon them?  I get it if it's loaded up with junk and you fall on tough times and just say screw it, but if it's something of value why wouldn't you get that out before you start skipping your 40 dollar rent.  Not speaking to TO's case specifically, but just in general to the whole idea of storage auctions.

He probably had it on auto pay then when the account went dry because he's broke again they just auctioned his shit off

22 minutes ago, Scholz said:

People are hoarders.  

I understood this for my grandparents. Their generation grew up in the great depression and they were shaped by that. 

The generations that are alive today and under 80 don't really have an excuse. We've become such a ridiculously over-the-top consumption society that you will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use any of that shit again. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Scholz said:

People are hoarders.  And stupid.  Most I know store a bunch of worthless crap in their garages and park their expensive cars out in the weather.

No shit. Guy around the corner has a garage full of toys, old crap furniture, cheap lawn mower & whatnot, yet parks his MB SL out on the street.

• Like 1

One half of our garage is clean the other is mower, tools, bikes, and other kid paraphernalia.  I don't have a luxury car but I can get my truck into the garage in a pinch (hail storm).  Kids add a lot of junk and the Mrs. has some hang up on just throwing non broken crap away.

40 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I understood this for my grandparents. Their generation grew up in the great depression and they were shaped by that. 

The generations that are alive today and under 80 don't really have an excuse. We've become such a ridiculously over-the-top consumption society that you will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use any of that shit again. 

Now I know why my mother told me never to marry a poor person (poor on two counts: financially and in the heart). She didn't want me to end up with a selfish bitch that hordes.

he took a gamble and it looks like it will probably pay off

if he owed $50 a month in rent (pretty cheap for a decent storage unit) over a year that is $600 plus all the "fees" and other bullshit and if he is saying this went for years well he could have owed a couple of thousand to get his shit back from the storage company

he probably figured he would have some member of his posse show up on the auction day and outbid everyone for it and pay maybe $300 or $400 and thus save a ton of money Vs just paying the storage company all the back rent and fees

but more than likely his posse member slept in that day and missed the auction or they showed up with only $200 in their pocket and could not bid any higher, but the fall back plan is to whine and cry and let everyone know how much all that shit he had forgotten about meant to him and he is TO and the storage company is mean bullies and he can shame the buyer into selling it back to him at cost or maybe even being stupid enough to give it back to him in exchange for some signed trinkets

looks like part 3 of the plan is going to happen.....I know that seems like a complex plan for the likes of TO, but stupid people are good at planning how to be a cheap ass scammer instead of just paying their bills....that is why they end up broke after earning $80 million over less than a decade

• Like 1

I never understood this phenomenon. For fuck's sake, if a home has a garage, the garage is described in terms of cars (e.g. 2 car garage, 3 car garage, etc.). The auto goes into the garage first, then the rest of your shit provided you have the space for it.
Where do I put my garage gym?

1 hour ago, Snacks said:
4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Where do I put my garage gym?

Trick question. You don't actually work out.

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Guessing some of it is an older married person who wants to keep the partner from finding it. They store it away and suddenly die and no one knows about it so it gets auctioned

16 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I know it's illegal but given the shady nature of the industry I wonder how many units are picked over by the facility owners prior to auction?

I believe it is legal in Texas to pick through the units at least that is what was told to me by a former neighbor that worked for a company with a number of faciities and by a guy that used to pick units (he liked appliances) back long before the TV shows

in California I believe they have much more strict rules, but it is not just cut the lock and throw open the door and sell it

8 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I believe it is legal in Texas to pick through the units at least that is what was told to me by a former neighbor that worked for a company with a number of faciities and by a guy that used to pick units (he liked appliances) back long before the TV shows

in California I believe they have much more strict rules, but it is not just cut the lock and throw open the door and sell it

I guess legally you're allowed to pick through to recover past due rent/fees and then you have to sell the rest?  I can't imagine there would be any theft involved in that process though.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

6 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Ah, yes the old business practice of trying to stop your customers from paying for your service. Poor TO.

Edited by n64ra

In Texas, the proceeds of the auction are used to satisfy the lien amount and any expenses of the sale.  Any proceeds over and above that amount are supposed to be turned over to the property owner if they can be located within two years.  The Texas property code only allows the lien holder to satisfy his lien by auction as specified in the Texas Property Code.  The property owner can recover damages if the lien is not satisfied in accordance with those provisions.

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I guess legally you're allowed to pick through to recover past due rent/fees and then you have to sell the rest?  I can't imagine there would be any theft involved in that process though.

the way I understand it in Texas or how it was told to me is that once the locker has legally been foreclosed on the storage unit owner can do as they wish with the contents

many have auctions simply because they have enough crap of their own already and because storage units can make good money and they want the crap gone and to make money renting space not selling crap

the idea of not picking through it is if you get a reputation for having crap auctions with no "wins" for the bidders then no one shows up and you are stuck with mostly zero income from the vast % of lockers and really the expense of cleaning it out and disposing of crap

the guy that I knew that used to bid (he and the guy I knew that worked for a storage company knew each other slightly from the auctions) explained to me that before the shows it was the usual suspects showing up and each had shit they liked the appliance guy (him), the tool guy, the risk taker, the furniture guy, the used cloths person ect and they did not run up bids on each other and they all kind of knew who was going to bid on what unit and they evens swapped shit sometimes because the appliance guy did not care about used cloths

they were all actually putting in some work to make OK money on their own time and schedule and if they ever did have some "grand slam" well that was an extremely rare bonus otherwise they were trying to spend $100 dollars on some cloths and furniture they could take to their flea-market booth and flip for $300 or maybe $400 if they were lucky

most storage unit owners have no interest in having a flea-market booth as well they want to rent space and get shit hauled off to rent space again and the "big score" is not worth the effort....that does not mean they did not take a look for a bunch of fishing gear or sports equipment or decent electronics or some shit they knew they had value or cared about

even if what I was told was wrong or if the former neighbor just worked for a place that was breaking the law by looking through some units I can guarantee you this in Texas no one is enforcing it and I am not even sure you could try and find someone to give a shit about enforcing it

Edited by ButtFumble

3 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

the way I understand it in Texas or how it was told to me is that once the locker has legally been foreclosed on the storage unit owner can do as they wish with the contents

many have auctions simply because they have enough crap of their own already and because storage units can make good money and they want the crap gone and to make money renting space not selling crap

the idea of not picking through it is if you get a reputation for having crap auctions with no "wins" for the bidders then no one shows up and you are stuck with mostly zero income from the vast % of lockers and really the expense of cleaning it out and disposing of crap

the guy that I knew that used to bid (he and the guy I knew that worked for a storage company knew each other slightly from the auctions) explained to me that before the shows it was the usual suspects showing up and each had shit they liked the appliance guy (him), the tool guy, the risk taker, the furniture guy, the used cloths person ect and they did not run up bids on each other and they all kind of knew who was going to bid on what unit and they evens swapped shit sometimes because the appliance guy did not care about used cloths

they were all actually putting in some work to make OK money on their own time and schedule and if they ever did have some "grand slam" well that was an extremely rare bonus otherwise they were trying to spend $100 dollars on some cloths and furniture they could take to their flea-market booth and flip for $300 or maybe $400 if they were lucky

most storage unit owners have no interest in having a flea-market booth as well they want to rent space and get shit hauled off to rent space again and the "big score" is not worth the effort....that does not mean they did not take a look for a bunch of fishing gear or sports equipment or decent electronics or some shit they knew they had value or cared about

They have auctions because the Texas Property code specifies that as the only way they can recover their money.