2019 nba playoff pool

BigOrange1

it's that time again: it's pretty straight forward, $25 entry fee and winner take all.  as soon as the playoff matchups are cemented on wednesday, simply post your picks on this thread before tip off of the first game on saturday.  with the east being so wide open we should have a lot of variety in terms of picks this year. 

scoring rules:

1st round series - 10 points, 2nd round - 20 points, conference finals - 30 points, nba finals - 40 points.  there is a 5 point per series bonus if you get the number of games the series goes correct (after the first round, you must have both teams playing in the series correct in order to be eligible for the bonus).

i can take payment via paypal, venmo or apple pay.  payment is due by tipoff of the first game on saturday.

that's it.

• Like 1

i'm in and i'm sure my buddy who was in last year will be in also. i have another buddy who participated in the shaggy fantasy hoops league and the ncaa tourney pool this year, and i'm sure he'll be in as well. that's four entrants and if we can even get 4-5 more that'll be a nice, competitive  field with a nice prize pool. ok post my picks once i've done some research.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Do we get the bonus even if the team we pick loses? So say I take Clippers over the Warriors in 4 but the Ws win the series in 4. Is that 5 points?

Also what is tiebreaker.

you get points for correctly picking the series, you get bonus points for correctly picking the number of games. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Also I have a friend or 2 that might be interested - does it need to be regular posters?

i believe i can speak for BO/Bob/Shaggy when I say 'no problem'. I've had friends and family members enter all kinds of shaggy contests mike this, and the attitude has always been "the more the merrier". 

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

you get points for correctly picking the series, you get bonus points for correctly picking the number of games. 

Yeah I figured- just wanted to clarify.

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i believe i can speak for BO/Bob/Shaggy when I say 'no problem'. I've had friends and family members enter all kinds of shaggy contests mike this, and the attitude has always been "the more the merrier". 

Cool. I would of course have them sign up and check out rhe board as a whole.

Dont worry, I'm much more of an asshole than anyone I would refer. 

all anyone has to do to enter is post their picks on this thread by tip off of the first game on saturday.  you can post picks for your friends who aren't on this board.

i am gonna require payment up front on this one.  $25 by tip off of game 1 on saturday.

Round 1 West

Warriors in 4

Rockets in 6

Thunder in 7

Nuggets in 6

Round 2 West

Warriors in 6

Nuggets in 7

Conference Finals

Warriors in 5

Round 1 East

Bucks in 5

Celtics in 6

Sixers in 5

Raptors in 4

Round 2

Bucks in 6

Sixers in 7

Conference Finals

Bucks in 7

NBA FINALS

Warriors in 6

On 4/10/2019 at 11:56 PM, BigOrange1 said:

playoffs are set:

east:

• 1) milwaukee vs. 8 detroit
  • 2) toronto vs. 7 orlando
  • 3) philadelphia vs. 6 brooklyn
  • 4) boston vs. 5 indiana

west:

• 1) golden state vs. 8 la clippers
  • 2) denver vs. 7 san antonio
  • 3) portland vs. 6 oklahoma city
  • 4) houston vs. 5 utah

Philly in 5
Toronto in 5
Boston in 5
Milwaukee in 4
Denver in 5
OKC in 6
Houston in 5
GS in 4

Milwaukee in 5
Toronto in 6
GS in 5
Denver in 6

Milwaukee in 7
GS in 5

GS in 6

mine:

milwaukee in 4

toronto in 5

philly in 6

boston in 6

warriors in 4

denver in 7

okc in 6

rockets in 5

milwaukee over boston in 7

toronto over philly in 6

warriors over rockets in 7

okc over denver in 6

toronto over milwaukee in 6

warriors over okc in 5

warriors over toronto in 6

Bucks in 4

Raptors in 6

Sixers in 6

Pacers in 7

Warriors in 5

Nuggets in 6

Thunder in 5

Rockets in 7

Bucks in 5

Sixers in 5

Warriors in 7

Thunder in 7

Bucks in 6

Warriors in 5

Bucks in 7

Did I do that right?

Edited by Swearengen

Round 1 West

Warriors in 4

Rockets in 6

Thunder in 6

Nuggets in 6

Round 2 West

Warriors in 6

Thunder in 7

Conference Finals

Warriors in 7

Round 1 East

Bucks in 5

Celtics in 6

Sixers in 6

Raptors in 4

Round 2

Bucks in 6

Sixers in 7

Conference Finals

Bucks in 7

NBA FINALS

Warriors in 6

LMK how to venmo you BigOrange

Edited by ChiTownDoc

my friend sent me his picks this morning but my sleep schedule is opposite most people's and i'm just now getting up. i'll leave it up to you guys as to whether or not y'all will accept his entry.

edit- picks are posted below, and BO i can send you payment right away, just waiting for a final verdict.

edit 2: also fwiw only one game has been completed and it didn't exactly help him, so hopefully y'all don't mind letting him in. 

Edited by Goo Punch

On 4/13/2019 at 4:43 PM, Goo Punch said:

1c8365c8ea153c21849bd50aff14b4a4.jpg

2f39ae7e579fd67d13c90c4d7ca350f1.jpg

Rockets > Raptors in 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm giving this a trophy. Not sure if because you just doxxed yourself, or because of the TBell cup with yellow Spirit buds sitting at the bottom. Could I rep it twice, I would have. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

going in to sunday's game 7's:

1. hornonthebayou - 135
  2. bigorange - 130
  3. hobbes, derka - 120
  4. chitowndoc - 115
  5. swearengen - 105
  6. uncle boobs, derka's friend - 100

as always, please check to see that i have your score correct.  i am definitely under the influence right now so i very easily could have fucked up your score. 

12 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

going in to sunday's game 7's:

1. hornonthebayou - 135
  2. bigorange - 130
  3. hobbes, derka - 120
  4. chitowndoc - 115
  5. swearengen - 105
  6. uncle boobs, derka's friend - 100

as always, please check to see that i have your score correct.  i am definitely under the influence right now so i very easily could have fucked up your score. 

I'm being lazy this morning and trying not to do house work, so I decided to check your math. Everything looks good, except I think Swearengen should be at 110. 

On 5/11/2019 at 11:42 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

I'm being lazy this morning and trying not to do house work, so I decided to check your math. Everything looks good, except I think Swearengen should be at 110. 

this is correct.

standings after the 2nd round:

1. hornonthebayou - 155
  2. bigorange - 150
  3. derka - 140
  4. hobbes, derka's friend - 120
  5. chitown - 115
  6. swearengen - 110
  7. uncle boobs - 100

yeah i think BO has it sewed up. Congrats brah.

Now, i'm iffy on the rules and horrible at math, so go easy on me,  it does anyone else think the bonus points should go up exponentially with each round? like correctly predicting a conference finals matchup and outcome should be worth a lot more than doing the same for a first round matchup, no?

Edited by Goo Punch

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah i think BO has it sewed up. Congrats brah.

Now, i'm iffy on the rules and horrible at math, so go easy on me,  it does anyone else think the bonus points should go up exponentially with each round? like correctly predicting a conference finals matchup and outcome should be worth a lot more than doing the same for a first round matchup, no?

I'd be cool with increasing the bonus points for later rounds a little bit next year. Maybe 10 points for the 2nd and 3rd rounds and 15 for the finals. Or maybe 5 points if you correctly pick just the winner of the series and the number of games, but 10 or 15 if you correctly pick both teams in the series, as well as the winner and games.