2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

C-Man

I'm not sure why I'm making predictions for round two and maybe on when I went 1-7 in first round predictions.  It is wide open and the only team I really don't see a plausible possibility to win it all is Columbus.  Okay, you finally won a playoff series.  Call me when you win a playoff series where you have to win a game seven on the road or win back to back in games 6 and 7.  Until then you don't have any Stanley Cup playoff experience. 

I have no idea who the best team left is but I do know who the best coach is left and that is Trotz.  I think they are going to go through Carolina like shit through a goose, especially as much extra hockey as Carolina has had to play and as much extra time the Islanders have had to get healthy.  The other thing that impressed me with the Islanders against Pittsburgh was that you usually don't see really good defense in the NHL.  It might be there but you don't see it.  By that I mean most of the time really good defense looks more like really bad offense.  You see what one team is failing to do but you can't see why they can't do it.   You could see why the Penguins couldn't do anything against the Islanders.  When you watched those games it didn't look like Crosby and company were tripping on their dicks.  It looked like the Islanders were strangling them with them.

I like the Islanders and the Bruins in the Eastern Conference finals.  That one smells like a seven game series.

I think it is hard for a team to depend on one line to carry them through four playoff series in a row.  That means I like St. Louis and San Jose, except I don't.  I like St. Louis, though the difference in playoff experience between the goalies concerns me.  Dallas has one way to win the Cup.  If I went into a two month long coma today and when I came to I found out that Bishop won the Conn Smythe I would know Dallas won the Cup.  If anyone else won the Conn Smythe I would know they didn't.  I just don't see enough offense after the top line to get there unless they win games 2-1, 1-0, or 2-0.  

Yes, Colorado depends on one line for offense too and I'm still picking them.  Except for Boston-Columbus, there is a theme to my second round picks. That theme is that rust will be a price worth paying for rest.  San Jose and Vegas just spent the last two weeks knocking the snot out of each other while Colorado set around and picked their noses.  A team that plays at hypersonic speed like Colorado is the last thing San Jose needed in the next round.  This reminds me of last year in the west when both Winnipeg and Nashville looked to be much better than Vegas but they beat up each other so much that Vegas cruised through Winnipeg.  I'm going St. Louis and Colorado in the Western Conference finals.  However, have no fear Stars fans.  The Blues are my favorite team and I am predicting them to advance in the playoffs.  So in other words I am completely dooming them. (or they are going to completely doom me,  having rooted for them in the playoffs for over thirty years it's hard anymore to tell one from the other)   I didn't even pick them to beat Winnipeg.  If they get past Dallas it will be only because fate decides it would rather crush my heart like a steel toe work boot on an aluminum can in Colorado, San Jose, or whatever city the Eastern Conference winner comes from.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I'm not sure why I'm making predictions for round two and maybe on when I went 1-7 in first round predictions.  It is wide open and the only team I really don't see a plausible possibility to win it all is Columbus.  Okay, you finally won a playoff series.  Call me when you win a playoff series where you have to win a game seven on the road or win back to back in games 6 and 7.  Until then you don't have any Stanley Cup playoff experience. 

No one has significant playoff experience other than Boston and San Jose. 

Boston is the clear favorite in the East.  The West is wide open.

52 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I have no idea who the best team left is but I do know who the best coach is left and that is Trotz.  I think they are going to go through Carolina like shit through a goose, especially as much extra hockey as Carolina has had to play and as much extra time the Islanders have had to get healthy.  The other thing that impressed me with the Islanders against Pittsburgh was that you usually don't see really good defense in the NHL.  It might be there but you don't see it.  By that I mean most of the time really good defense looks more like really bad offense.  You see what one team is failing to do but you can't see why they can't do it.   You could see why the Penguins couldn't do anything against the Islanders.  When you watched those games it didn't look like Crosby and company were tripping on their dicks.  It looked like the Islanders were strangling them with them.

I like the Islanders and the Bruins in the Eastern Conference finals.  That one smells like a seven game series.

I think it is hard for a team to depend on one line to carry them through four playoff series in a row.  That means I like St. Louis and San Jose, except I don't.  I like St. Louis, though the difference in playoff experience between the goalies concerns me.  Dallas has one way to win the Cup.  If I went into a two month long coma today and when I came to I found out that Bishop won the Conn Smythe I would know Dallas won the Cup.  If anyone else won the Conn Smythe I would know they didn't.  I just don't see enough offense after the top line to get there unless they win games 2-1, 1-0, or 2-0.  

Yes, Colorado depends on one line for offense too and I'm still picking them.  Except for Boston-Columbus, there is a theme to my second round picks. That theme is that rust will be a price worth paying for rest.  San Jose and Vegas just spent the last two weeks knocking the snot out of each other while Colorado set around and picked their noses.  A team that plays at hypersonic speed like Colorado is the last thing San Jose needed in the next round.  This reminds me of last year in the west when both Winnipeg and Nashville looked to be much better than Vegas but they beat up each other so much that Vegas cruised through Winnipeg.  I'm going St. Louis and Colorado in the Western Conference finals.  However, have no fear Stars fans.  The Blues are my favorite team and I am predicting them to advance in the playoffs.  So in other words I am completely dooming them. (or they are going to completely doom me,  having rooted for them in the playoffs for over thirty years it's hard anymore to tell one from the other)   I didn't even pick them to beat Winnipeg.  If they get past Dallas it will be only because fate decides it would rather crush my heart like a steel toe work boot on an aluminum can in Colorado, San Jose, or whatever city the Eastern Conference winner comes from.

LOL. I did you one better -- I went 2-6 in first-round picks, getting St. Louis and Boston correct. The West is completely wide-open. It wouldn't surprise me to see any of those four teams make it to the Cup Finals. STL is the best team in the West since 1/3 but they're led by an unheralded goalie who has never been in this position before. DAL has the league's best goalie still going, plays great D but can they get enough scoring from players other than Seguin, Benn and Radulov? SJ just survived a war and I can't imagine Pavelski plays again any time soon and Martin Jones is the ultimate wild card. COL squeaked into the playoffs with the fewest amount of points -- but they've been sitting around waiting for days.

Over in the East, I think BOS is easily the best team left with WSH getting dumped last night. They should have no issues with CLB, which means the series will go 7. I like NYI over CAR I the other series simply because I think they're a better team that's been resting since sweeping PIT.

After saying all that, I think we'll get STL-SJ and BOS-NYI in the conference finals.

Dallas’ first line vs Nash:  6 goals

dallas’ second line vs Nash:  7 goals

that they weren’t dependent on one line is why they won the series. 

Unless your point is that it was a fluke and unlikely to happen again, but that line hasn’t had a lot of time together so predicting their scoring going forward is a guessing game at best. 

Having a couple of defenders that can provide offense also helps. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Dallas’ first line vs Nash:  6 goals

dallas’ second line vs Nash:  7 goals

that they weren’t dependent on one line is why they won the series. 

Unless your point is that it was a fluke and unlikely to happen again, but that line hasn’t had a lot of time together so predicting their scoring going forward is a guessing game at best. 

Having a couple of defenders that can provide offense also helps. 

Agreed. Hintz has been revelation and Zuccarello was a great pickup. Dickinson, who I've always liked and was generally shit on in the season-long thread, has added some scoring punch too. I don't think the Stars have the up-front punch to make a run all the way but I could certainly see them winning another series. I'm not buying in on Binnington yet.

Two officials from the other night's Vegas-San Jose game will NOT officiate games in the second round. (I think somebody said it up thread, I'm sure situations like this will be reviewable starting next season.)

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26603014/knights-sharks-refs-officiate-2nd-round

Two referees who worked the controversial Game 7 between the Vegas Golden Knights and San Jose Sharks in the first round will not officiate in the second round.

Dan O'Halloran and Eric Furlatt were on the ice for a pivotal major penalty call in the third period that gave the Sharks a five-minute power play. The Sharks scored four times on the man advantage to erase a 3-0 deficit, and won the game 5-4 in overtime. The Sharks will face the Colorado Avalanche in the second round.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Controversy stemmed from the fact that neither O'Halloran nor Furlatt signaled for a penalty when Sharks captain Joe Pavelski was cross-checked by Golden Knights forward Cody Eakin in the chest. Pavelski stumbled backward, collided with Vegas forward Paul Stastny, and fell to the ice -- hitting his head, and bleeding. As Pavelski was being attended to by trainers, the officials huddled and Eakin was given a major penalty for cross-checking and a game misconduct.

The NHL's Department of Hockey Operations chooses which referees advance in the playoffs, with the pool whittled down after each series. It's especially notable that O'Halloran is not working, considering he leads all active refs in career playoff games officiated. Game 7 was O'Halloran's 212th career playoff game.

ADVERTISEMENT

O'Halloran is expected to miss his first conference final series in over a decade, as a league source told ESPN that referees who aren't chosen for earlier rounds are typically not added back later in the playoffs, barring for injuries or other circumstances.

Vegas took exception to the penalty, especially forward Jonathan Marchessault, who delivered strong criticism in the locker room afterward.

"Furlatt said, 'It looks pretty bad.' If it looks pretty bad, then clearly you did not see it," Marchessault said. "It's a faceoff. It's a push. Probably 50 percent of the faceoffs, players -- if they lose -- they probably give a small cross-check, right? If you want to call the cross-check, fine, call it. It's a cross-check. But seriously, he falls bad. It's unfortunate. Don't get me wrong: I'm a huge fan of Joe Pavelski. And he went down, and I really hope he's OK and he comes back. But that call changes the whole outcome. It changes the whole future of us and the outcome this year. It's a joke. I would be embarrassed if I was them."

The NHL, through a pool reporter at Game 7, issued a statement from series officiating supervisor Don Van Massenhoven: "The referees called a cross-checking penalty for an infraction that caused a significant injury. In their judgment, the infraction and its result merited a major penalty."

Vegas coach Gerard Gallant said after the game he wasn't pleased with the explanation he was given by the officials.

"They said he cross-checked him across the face, and as we all saw, that didn't happen," Gallant said. "There was no high-stick that hit him in the face. When Stastny came out, he fell and banged his head on the ice. That's the unfortunate part of it. It was an awful call. We've all seen it. It's too bad we end up losing because of that because we're in control of the hockey game."

According to MoneyPuck.com, the Sharks had a 1.19 percent chance to win the game when they were given the five-minute major.

Good for CBJ I guess.  But even though they are playing Boston, the Sports city everyone in the country is worn the fuck out of, it's hard to root for CBJ. Just because it was the biggest collection of pure human scum I've ever witnessed when we visited in 2005.  So definitely rooting for winner of other series in the East.

Stars win 4-2 (garbage empty net goal with 3 sec left). Crazy 1st period 4 on 4 worth watching the whole thing. 3 goals in 1:27 or something nutty.

No such thing as a garbage-goal in that situation. Plenty of time to score if you get — and win — an offensive zone FO.

Don't know shit about Boston's coach, but they asked him about the cannon at Columbus when the Blue Jackets score.

said he didn't really notice.  other team scores, he gets pissed off.  They regroup and go.  That's the process.

Classic playoff answer.

7 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Didn't help ignoring the cannon. They still lost. Don't look now, but Bos doesn't look like world beaters. Rask looks...not great. 

Rask has a 92.7% save percentage in the series.  Boston's problem is that they aren't getting any points from their top line, just like TB.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:16 AM, EMAWesome said:

I actually completely agreed with you at the time. I even repped you because of this paragraph.  WTF happened????!?!?

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I actually completely agreed with you at the time. I even repped you because of this paragraph.  WTF happened????!?!?

They finally realized that Tavares is in Toronto.  

This is the perfect time for me to segue into commenting on how much Scott Burrell sucks at sports talk showing.  Not only does he have a voice like the drive thru speaker at a fast food restaurant he was bitching last night about how this was Trotz's fault for not starting Grice instead of Lehner.  Your team scored five goals in four games against Petr Mrozek and Curtis McIllaney.  Your goalie was not the problem.  

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yes, continue beating the shit out of each other. 

We’re be at the Pepsi Center for game 6. We usually sit down on the 100 level just off center ice but I decided to get cute and put us first row in the 200s. With the physicality of this game and what I’m expecting on Monday, I’m beginning to regret that.