"Gastropubs" and shit like that

South Austin

I really just want to know if anyone has tried The Westwood Gastropub off Balcones, but I created a broader thread keeping in mind blacklab's purpose of this subforum.  It recently opened in the location of the old Peony Asian restaurant.  If I'm looking for that kind of fare, I'll usually stop by Billy's off Burnet which is close by my house.  But I don't mind having another good option.

But yeah, if you have other go-to pubs that serve good beer, cocktails and grub, let me know. 

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Boulevard Bar & Grill is a sorta-alternative to Billy's, the food is palatable . . . on Far West.  Pretty dumpy joint with a ton of regulars.  I think there was a shaggy connection WAY back in the day.

That's still there? Amazing.

When I say it has a ton of regulars, I'm not kidding.  I go in there maybe once every 3-4 weeks to grab a pint, and there are a half dozen guys who are all there every time.  One of them is some kind of younger medical doctor and I don't think I've ever seen him drink alcohol.  He just loves hanging out there.  The rest are pretty hardcore drunks.  What a life.

I would have never thought of Billy’s as a gastropub but glad to know one of my hangouts fits that category (and best frito chili pie in town). Poodie’s on 71 probably fits the bill, too.  Luster Pearl East if you want to class it up a bit. Anyone tried Detour in Oak Hill? 

Oh, and the new Torchy’s downtown has a cool looking bar area and decent enough beer list. 

Edited by ftf82

• 4 months later...