Roseanne

TahoeHorn

2 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

In all seriousness, I thought about making a post on the old Shaggy about the white working class becoming culturally ostracized in America, and some of that frustration being manifested in voting for the Dotard. My data points were going to be movies and TV and how there seem to be less out now that caters to this audience than there was 20 - 30 years ago. Roseanne was a show that I would have specifically mentioned. This was 6 months ago before we knew of the remake. I would have been freaking Nostradamus. Now, none of you will believe me.

With that said, I doubt the show's good ratings have anything to do with politics. Maybe Hollywood finally is paying attention to an audience it has been ignoring, but even that sounds like a stretch.

We'll see how the ratings are for episodes 2 and 3. More likely, it's interest that's purely nostalgia driven. Then again, nostalgia drove some people to the polls in November of  '16.

He didn't even win the popular vote but sure 

4 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Not that I really think Roseanne is a Nazi enabler, but that doesn't mean shit.

It's kinda like blacks using the N word.

Edited by F250

We had a guy on my field crew with legendary gas. We nicknamed him Nalgas del Fuego. 

Edited by Pods
When I say legendary gas, I mean unreal, would shake the solid rock you are sitting on in the quarry level gas. 
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 1:02 AM, Brian Fantana said:

Comebacks always generate huge ratings. I grew up watching Roseanne. Not really because of her, but still. Love the show and I'll leave it at that. 

I know you are right for the most part, but I imagine that a Cosby show reboot would not go over very well , at least until his trial is over (if Bill is acquitted)...

6 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I know you are right for the most part, but I imagine that a Cosby show reboot would not go over very well , at least until his trial is over (if Bill is acquitted)...

I think the time is right for the Nordberg spin off trilogy. 

6 hours ago, F250 said:

It's kinda like blacks using the N word.

That word actually is an ancient Kemetic word which meant king: "Negus"...

MANY AFRICAN WORDS DENOTING PEOPLE OR IMPORTANT PEOPLE STARTS WITH "N"

In many African languages particularly the Niger-Congo language family. Words that connects with people, Gods, and groups begin with "n" and that word is always the first word. For instance, the word "Nkosi" in Xhosa is "God." The word "Ndaba," in another South African language is "counsil" (or gathering of elders). Many common names also begin with "N".

WORDS OF AFRICAN ORIGINS THAT CAME FROM THE ORIGINAL WORD, "N-G-R" (PROUNOUNCED EN-JER)

N-g-r (Egyptian;pronounced en-jer) = God 
N-t-y-r (Egypt; pronounced net-ger) = God, Devine 
Negash (Ethiopia; ne-gash) = King 
Negus (Ethiopia; ne-goos) = Emperor 
Nkosi (Xhosa; en-kosi) = God 
Ndaba (Zulu; en-daba) = Counsil/Officials, 
Naga (East Indian, Nubian = People 
Nugarmarta (West African = People (See the writings of Ibn Buttata's journey to West Africa)

http://www.raceandhistory.com/cgi-bin/forum/webbbs_config.pl?md=read;id=127

How it's history was distorted to make peoples feel that it is a word of dishonor, is where the real story begins...                                                                                             

Just as aboriginals (i.e. "blacks" or "African-Americans"- [a term created by Jessie Jackson]), were in America centuries before Columbus...                                           

Growing up as a mixed mulatto, the word fails to bother me in most instances, as I understand the true origin of the term, and feel empathy for those who actually think it as originally...

I actually enjoy the fact of having mixed ethnic history as most Americans have in some respects, we are a true "melting pot" nation..!

Edited by kopp0e

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Also weird how so many of Trump's biggest fans are batshit crazy.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that ABC may pull the show because of this.  I would much rather they keep her going. 

I think Rosanne Barr is extremely intelligent, but she is crazy.  And her particular brand of crazy includes attacking people she once supported.  Cancelling the show now will make her a martyr and it avoids the eventual pendulum swing back, where she accuses Trump of everything in the book. 

From wiki, circa 2012:

2012 presidential campaign

On August 5, 2011, Barr appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and announced her candidacy for president in the 2012 presidential election, running on the "Green Tea Party" ticket.[64][65] Her candidacy called attention to economics, personal health and meditation.[66]

She also stated that she would run for Prime Minister of Israel. In an interview with The Jewish Daily Forward she invoked tikkun olam in her support of bringing women into politics and religion.[66]

On September 19, 2011, she appeared at the Occupy Wall Street protests and spoke in support of the protestors.[67] She further stated that any "guilty" Wall Street bankers should be forced to give up any income over $100 million, be sent to re-education camps, or be executed by beheading if they resisted.[68]

Barr filed with the Federal Election Commission as a Green Party presidential candidate in January 2012. She formally announced her candidacy for the party's 2012 presidential nomination on February 2, 2012.[69][70][71][72]

On July 14, 2012, Barr came in second,[3] losing the nomination to Jill Stein.[3] Stein chose Cheri Honkala as her running-mate[73] despite suggestions that she could choose Barr.[74]

Barr was given a prime speaking role at the Green Party National Convention in Baltimore, Maryland, but decided to instead send a surrogate, (Farheen Hakeem), to speak on her behalf.

Barr's surrogate reportedly chided the party for not respecting Barr's candidacy. A shouting match in a hallway reportedly ensued.[75]

Barr repeatedly criticized Jill Stein after losing the Green Party nomination,[76][77][78] and caused controversy by using alleged transphobic words in statements about Stein on Twitter.[79]

Shortly after losing the Green Party nomination, Barr announced that she would run on the Peace and Freedom Party ticket with activist Cindy Sheehan as her running mate.[80]

On August 4, 2012, Barr won the presidential nomination of the Peace and Freedom Party.[4][81]

Barr's running mate, Cindy Sheehan, immediately had disagreements with Barr, from Barr's views on policy, to Barr's desire to only campaign online, and Barr's treatment of Green Party nominee Jill Stein, leading Sheehan to request her name taken off the Peace and Freedom Party ticket. Sheehan was told it was too late to have her name removed, so she instead announced that she was simply leaving the campaign.[82][83]

Barr appeared on the ballot in Colorado, Florida, and California. As she was not on the ballot in her home state of Hawaii, which did not allow write-in votes, she voted for President Obama.[84]

8 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Cancelling the show now will make her a martyr and it avoids the eventual pendulum swing back, where she accuses Trump of everything in the book. 

We really need to stop with this 4D-level-chess thinking. When people are publicly racist they should be shamed and that's the end of it.

People like Roseanne and those who think of her as a martyr for this are not reachable by logic or empathy. They are broken and you cannot subtly play to them and convert them to basic decency.

• Like 3

Just now, bad_teammate said:

We really need to stop with this 4D-level-chess thinking. When people are publicly racist they should be shamed and that's the end of it.

People like Roseanne and those who think of her as a martyr for this are not reachable by logic or empathy. They are broken and you cannot subtly play to them and convert them to basic decency.

I think the racism is just a spur line that runs off of her express train to crazy town.  I mean, look at that summary of her political activity above, then add in her current stances....being racist is just a nifty side effect of being erratic, narcissistic, and batshit.  Not excusing any of it, of course.  My point is that her problems are WAY bigger than just saying racist shit.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My point is that her problems are WAY bigger than just saying racist shit.

Cannot bring myself to care about the mental health of the wealthy conservative celebrity class. Shove them into the dustbin of history where they belong and hope they rot away quietly.

16 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

So I looked at her twitter and see that she's apologizing for something. 

"Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj"

So weird to go after Valerie Jarrett. I mean she has so much pull over our current policies?

Also she then did this:

When users pointed out that the tweet seemed racist, Barr replied, "Muslims r NOT a race."

She perhaps is tone deaf or retarded.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Cannot bring myself to care about the mental health of the wealthy conservative celebrity class. Shove them into the dustbin of history where they belong and hope they rot away quietly.

Oh, don't get me wrong -- I didn't say I CARED.  But shit, is she even a "conservative?"  Seriously, look at her political history.  Her only consistent political stance is "nutty."  Sure, today, the go-to place for "nutty" is the Trumpist GOP -- which is its own problem.  But her only consistent ideology is anti-establishment nuttery.  That often comes topped with a big scoop of racism, because those flavors just go great together.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

When people are publicly racist they should be shamed and that's the end of it.

Sure.  I agree they should be shamed.  I disagree that's the end of it.  

It may be time to acknowledge that what we (as a society) have been doing for the last few decades is merely driving the racist shit back behind the curtain.  We aren't actually dealing with it.  It's accumulating.  And, with the power of internet, the idiots behind the curtain can build connections and validate their positions.  Normal folks watch network TV and feel good that racism has been eradicated.  The racists watch network TV and stew about the totalitarian state oppressing their views.  And both situations are troubling.  Then a guy like Trump comes along, sends dog whistles to racists while the normals have no idea why it should be a problem. 

I don't know what the best answer is.  But certainly it's worth acknowledging the unintended consequences. 

But none of that has much to do with my first point.  I wish the normal cycle with Roseanne had a chance to play out without her saying racist shit that gets her pulled off the air.  When that second shoe drops, it will be some weird ass interview that few will pay attention to.

Edited by Tuco

5 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It may be time to acknowledge that what we (as a society) have been doing for the last few decades is merely driving the racist shit back behind the curtain.  We aren't actually dealing with it.  It's accumulating.  And, with the power of internet, the idiots behind the curtain can build connections and validate their positions.  Normal folks watch network TV and feel good that racism has been eradicated.  The racists watch network TV and stew about the totalitarian state oppressing their views.  And both situations are troubling.  Then a guy like Trump comes along, sends dog whistles to racists while the normals have no idea why it should be a problem. 

I don't know what the best answer is.  But certainly it's worth acknowledging the unintended consequences. 

But none of that has much to do with my first point.  I wish the normal cycle with Roseanne had a chance to play out without her saying racist shit that gets her pulled off the air.  When that second shoe drops, it will be some weird ass interview that few will pay attention to.

You have to fight it with their own medicine. I think shaming them and basically making sure they have no seat at the table is the most important thing.

We have been too kind to them. NY Times writes think pieces about how they should be listened to and not mocked. The problem is if you don't mock them, then they continue to think they have free reign to spout hate. The media then forgives them more by calling it "economic anxieties". The people they should be protecting aren't the ones that are spouting this shit. The issue is that the true deplorables decided to use these keywords to win an election. They used those keywords to force the media to amplify their voices. Call racists what they are and don't let them change the discussion. Unless their opponents are as relentless as they are, they will CONTINUE TO WIN.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

And ABC cancelled it.

LOL, cue the faux "LIBERAL MEDIA!!!" outrage.

It will be interesting to watch the same people who say the NFL needed to take a stand against kneeling to combat losing customers try to argue against ABC doing literally the exact same thing with something much worse.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

6 minutes ago, Tuco said:

this is the thing: there are a LOT of racists out and about. mostly they are those who loudly proclaim we are somehow in a post-racial society, when that is not the case at all. you can see it pretty plainly even on this website. it doesn't take much to figure out the code words they use to communicate. you can see it in real deal society, when they fish out those code words to see if they are in like company. it's like a whole other language, but sometimes they forget to speak in this code. roseanne fucked up, and showed her true colors. there is no justifying that tweet. there is not "whoops, i made a bad joke" going to work on that tweet. that's a racist's true colors coming out. fuck her.

• Like 2